Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
For a strength build to be 'good' you definitely want to use powerstancing though.
2-handing a big heavy fuckoff hammer/sword will end up doing lower damage with slower swings than power stancing a couple of 2-pound katanas.
Use 2 weapons at once or go home, basically. It's really strong in this game, basically always better than 2-handing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I had to switch off my +25 Heavy Greatsword with Bloodhound Step in the endgame as it just couldn't keep up with damage or poise compared to Godslayer Greatsword or be as reliable as God Stitcher

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

For a strength build to be 'good' you definitely want to use powerstancing though.
2-handing a big heavy fuckoff hammer/sword will end up doing lower damage with slower swings than power stancing a couple of 2-pound katanas.
Use 2 weapons at once or go home, basically. It's really strong in this game, basically always better than 2-handing.

Yeah this was my conclusion as well. 2-handing is only for the early game when you don't have the stats to powerstance yet.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

more big weapon is more better

i think i avoided some of the jumping/level frustration in ER by being a compulsive prism stone user lol. got 99 on the right quickitem

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Might be able to use the shield skill Vow of the Indomitable to be invincible for Melania's crissaegrim attacks.

Also people may not know this one either, but you can have two staves equipped at the same time, and you get the spell casting bonus for the respective magic school for both of them regardless of which you cast with, as long as they are both out and ready.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I beat the game at last as a katana wizard, and decided to pick up most of the remaining incantations, max out a Dragon Communion Seal, respect to Strength/Faith/Arcane, and start New Game+ getting to actually use incantations for once.

I have now discovered that I no longer know how to play the game, and also I'm not completely sure my build is the right choice! So many incantations when you start with "all of them"!

As part of this learning process, can anyone give me a quick guide to incantations in terms of:

a) which ones to use often
b) which ones to use sparingly, and what they're good for
c) where I should actually be putting my stats if I want to actually get to use large and heavy weapons this time around

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I have seen someone use Vow of the Indomitable in that fight, and yes if you time it right you can use it to go through the Waterfowl Dance, but...it's just very situational. Remember that Vow literally only last 1 or 2 seconds.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sponges posted:

Hunting down mats I missed in an open world game is my own personal hell. This is so god drat tedious

Which ones? Aside from the rare ingredients I think everyrhing is purchasable from one merchant or another.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Blue Raider posted:

Man, moo veil really breaks this game huh

Moonveil, phone posting

yeahhh. this thread is full of people annoyed at one boss or another because different bosses counter different builds, but once I got the moonveil and mimic tear upgraded every boss in the game took less than five tries, other than Malenia, who took a couple hours. Owl in sekiro took me weeks, Gehrman took me months (I didn't know you had to parry). My save might be 20 hours longer with a different weapon.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Jorge Bell posted:

Don't do things you don't like doing, elden ring is perfect I want to hug and kiss it.

That’s right

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7079054552384818475

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Oh no, I didn't realize that the goat man was this game's Solaire ; ;

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Okay the carian retaliation exploit is pretty great and I am not ashamed of using it at all

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Kild posted:

I think its Looting the Ring from the chest then. I hit the barrier that requires you to have Ranni's ring and he was still sane. Then I finally did Raya Lucaria and got her ring and gave it to her and he was crazy

I'm pretty sure I did that afterward too. I did her questline up until killing the baleful shadow when she says she's beginning her journey and departs the small doll. I then went back to her Rise to hear the site of grace dialogue that I'd missed in my first run where she spells out her full plan. When I went downstairs Blaidd was going crazy. Though, oddly, his normal dialogue about staying loyal did not play? Probably a bug. I didn't go back to Raya Lucaria until I'd done the final conversations with Iji and he began burning.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

pentyne posted:

Which ones? Aside from the rare ingredients I think everyrhing is purchasable from one merchant or another.

Smithing Stones. I don’t think there’s enough to purchase for both my melee weapon and my Sacred Seal

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

sponges posted:

Smithing Stones. I don’t think there’s enough to purchase for both my melee weapon and my Sacred Seal

You have to find ball bearings for those to give to the corpse twins at the roundtable. You can buy infinite of everything but the capstones, but you get like 10 normal and somber caps per run if you follow the side quests.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sponges posted:

There's absolutely enough for both even before you get the smithing bells.

If you haven't gotten far enough into the game where you've scoured the various mines and caves then you might be a little short but there's probably a few major caches you can find.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Rand Brittain posted:

As part of this learning process, can anyone give me a quick guide to incantations in terms of:

a) which ones to use often
b) which ones to use sparingly, and what they're good for

I am a Dex/Faith character, so I can't advise you on strength stuff, but I can give you my opinion on these points:

A) Lightning Spear, Heal/Great Heal/Lord's Heal (Heal IIRC is the most FP efficient heal out of the line, but you'll want more immediate healing as you progress), Golden Vow, Pest Threads, Flame Grant Me Strength, Fireball (can be upgraded to Giantsflame Take Thee later, but since you're on NG+ you can do it immediately if you want), Black Fireball, Scouring Black Flame, and the fire shower AOE one you can get besides Giantsflame from the same prayerbook

B) Honed Bolt (as well as the other Lightning Strike spells), it can be chain cast without the long cast time and it can do respectable numbers if you do that, it can catch things that Lightning Spear can miss. The Ancient Dragon spells are unfortunately not very good at this current point in time, I'm emphasizing that because I'm almost certain they will be buffed in the future, I can't imagine the devs will leave them like this forever, the only worthwhile Ancient Dragon spell imo right now is the Lightning Strike, against large enemies it hits like an absolute truck. The Frenzied Flame stuff is almost all good, Flame of Frenzy for AOE and for large enemies, and Frenzied Burst for long range sniping, Gurranq's beast incantations are all good in their situations except imo Beast Claw, Stone of Gurranq is great for staggering and chain casting for damage and poise breaking, Gurranq's Beast Claw can be good for AOE in your personal vicinity. Placidusax's Ruin is great if you aren't hit out of it, that goes for all the dragon breaths though, I'm just putting it here because unlike those it requires no Arcane to use.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Just gave beast clergyman the last of the tuber he so loves and never had him go berserk on me??

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

Since the game is so much like Dark Souls in every other aspect, it's weird that they only made one weapon type in this game. Particularly how every other part of the whole game is completely Ye Olde European-styled fantasy but the only kind of weapon you can use is katanas, like they were only allowed to use the weapons from Sekiro. Very odd.

it's funny the first time i got some straight swords I was excited, started adding points into faith or arc or whatever insane random stat they seem to all require. then i actually used it and it was like, weak and lame, not OP like I expected, which was just as well because i put off trying my sweet straight sword b/c both stats and having fun with random stuff. i was happy when straight swords sucked because that freed me to use cooler stuff, except then i found nagakiba and its katanas all the way down from there.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

pentyne posted:

There's absolutely enough for both even before you get the smithing bells.

If you haven't gotten far enough into the game where you've scoured the various mines and caves then you might be a little short but there's probably a few major caches you can find.

In my experience if you're using 2+ normal weapons it's pretty easy to stall out in the [7]s and be stuck until you can get the final bell bearing right near the end.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

Just gave beast clergyman the last of the tuber he so loves and never had him go berserk on me??
If you give him multiple deathroots at once at the part he's supposed to go berserk (around five), you'll skip it, as I understand it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Snake Maze posted:

In my experience if you're using 2+ normal weapons it's pretty easy to stall out in the [7]s and be stuck until you can get the final bell bearing right near the end.

Yep the game is absolutely bizarrely stingy with the normal upgrade materials. You'll be swimming in more somber stones than you could possibly use and yet still unable to get past 21 on your normal weapons

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Dang, the first time I went to unlock Godricks rune, I was way over leveled because I didn't see the thing about divine towers and ended up going back way later. But they really make you work for it if you're doing it at level. First you have to work your way back through most of the entire main after army, get past several ballista assholes, and then they hit you with your likely first sword cat, and finally a trio of Giants that you can't bait out one by one, including an rear end in a top hat archer variant. Unless you were a psycho who went through the main gate when you entered Stormveil the first time and already had that grace unlocked, I guess.

At least Godricks rune is extremely good and worth it, especially in the early game.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

It is open loving season in Siofra River tonight.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Flytrap posted:

Oh no, I didn't realize that the goat man was this game's Solaire ; ;

Pretty sure that's jar dude...

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Deified Data posted:

gently caress I really love whips in this. I'm boosting a Rivers of Blood for invasions and for when the going gets tough but I think I might main powerstanced petal whips in NG+

I'm doing that and it WHIPS rear end.

Takes a while to get used to but it's very effective.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Nuebot posted:

Try putting something like a warmth stone in your hot bar it might use that? Otherwise try fire or lightning? I think lightning traditionally fucks up dragons, and I'm pretty sure it's immune to bleed.

Welp, i just hosed it right up with an even sillier bleed build.

Basically double twinblades (powerstanced) with duplicated seppuku, the armour and talisman to increase jump attack damage, the successive hits greatly increase damage talismen and the blood loss in vicinity increases damage talisman.

You basically fire up seppuku on each sword and then just jump attack. Basically instant blood loss damage as it hits like 8 times per swing.

Best of all, because its just a supped up standard attack, the mimic knows how to use it.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

What's the closest thing to pre-nerf Hoarfrost Stomp since it got aborted? gently caress these Dual-Wielding knights in Castle Sol.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Faith seems more engaging, but it seems more built around buffs and healing, so I would still be relying on a weapon a lot. I went Strength this play through so I’d like to do DEX, but I don’t feel like I’ve seen a lot of DEX/fth weapons.

I did dex/fth and just finished the game last night but have the rest of the haligtree to finish, as well. And I definitely felt like there were more dex/int or dex/arc weapons loaded in the front half of the game, and even some of weapons with high dex requirements still scaled more off of faith than off dex. Wound up finding Makar and getting into the plateau before Raya Lucaria and I found the golden epitaph and used it for a while as an honest sword and board setup but it suffers pretty badly against later game enemies by having a buff as its weapon art rather than an attack of any sort. Winged scythe is available early- high stat requirements but is pretty good. If you have the patience to farm it, the halo scythe from cleanrot knights in the swamp of aeonia has good scaling and a killer weapon art for a faith build. And flame of the redmane onto any regular weapon infused as flame art may not technically be a dex weapon but can still scale super hard with faith and carry you through a lot of the game, the weapon art does a ton of posture damage and can build to staggers fast.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I just watched like 2/3 of a vaatividja thing on Elden Ring whole cooking dinner, and I thought I heard that a boss or a certain ending requires you to be a Wretch?

If true, that is hilarious.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

GloomMouse posted:

his thing is that he joined up w/ serosh the beast god to help him be *less* aggressive. the lion thing is actually holding him back. then he throws off his weighted petticoats (rips serosh off and apart) and goes beastmode on you. and it's rad af

all of the animal friends sent by the greater will have such a bad time of it lol. serosh gets used as chastity cage for godfrey's rage boner, gurranq gets a "here hold this for me" from marika and left to feel sorry for himself, blaidd gets someone that does seem to care a bit but gets driven insane because she rebels

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
So powerstancing is automatic right? And it's just an L1 Moveset that utilises both weapons yeah? Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything cause that's what I've been doing since character creation with scimitars and then katanas

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
where can I find a ring of oath?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I just watched like 2/3 of a vaatividja thing on Elden Ring whole cooking dinner, and I thought I heard that a boss or a certain ending requires you to be a Wretch?

If true, that is hilarious.

no he was just obliquely hinting that you need to remove all your armor to proceed down that path (the wretch starts in that state but anyone can do it)

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Can someone explain Millicent's story/quest line to me? Particularly why does it conclude the way it does?

Just seems kind of sudden and without any real elaboration. Like there are pieces to this piece of lore but none of it comes together for me.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Hogama posted:

If you give him multiple deathroots at once at the part he's supposed to go berserk (around five), you'll skip it, as I understand it.

Ah that explains it then

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If you guys like whips look for the urumi somewhere in Caria Manor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMAsCuDFSUI

Neat thing is you can powerstance it with a regular whip and the whip will cause strike and the urumi will cause slash

They both kinda suck against shields tho

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Revitalized posted:

Can someone explain Millicent's story/quest line to me? Particularly why does it conclude the way it does?

Just seems kind of sudden and without any real elaboration. Like there are pieces to this piece of lore but none of it comes together for me.

Elden_ring_lore.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Revitalized posted:

Honest question, I'm curious if you've ever played a souls game before.