Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
now i m transposing all the big dump trucks make small car disappear giffs on the plane goes down in my mind.

I wonder what duke nukem would say about this crash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Ups_rail posted:

I wonder what duke nukem would say about this crash

"Your face, your rear end - what's the difference?"

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
was refering to this

https://peter-ftp.co.uk/aviation/misc-euroga/Flying%20Upside%20Down.pdf

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Blistex posted:

"Your face, your rear end - what's the difference?"

"drat, those alien scum are gonna pay for shooting up my ride."

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
"My face, your rear end - What's the distance?"

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
"Time to eat rear end and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of gum"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

https://twitter.com/DeclouxJ/status/1506048774149480454

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

rethinking posting pig balls pictures if this is what they're capable of

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Man, imagine having to go your Revered Ancestors in the afterlife and telling them you got murked by a piglet in a mechanical basket. I wonder if you can die a second time from embarrassment.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

That'll do, Pig.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

is that the pig who survived the earthquake in sichuan when it was a baby?

matti
Mar 31, 2019

MarcusSA posted:

Too bad the news thing is probably staged.

lol

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/depthsofwiki/status/1507128557000085515?s=21&t=aolJEvYzJ3x3rtwbWLQ4Uw
He doesn’t actually look how I thought but based upon the description pretty sure those of who have lived or currently living in China can immediately draw an mental image of what this guy would look like.

sticksy fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 25, 2022

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

sticksy posted:

https://twitter.com/depthsofwiki/status/1507128557000085515?s=21&t=aolJEvYzJ3x3rtwbWLQ4Uw
He doesn’t actually look how I thought but based upon the description pretty sure those of who have lived or currently living in China can immediately draw an mental image of what this guy would look like.

I'm imagining Brother Sharp and I'm not going to search for anything that might shatter the image.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

So that's where Pangzai went.

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
i like chinese food but everyone saus chinese food in china is horrible so do i even actually like chinese food i guess probably not

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

TheSpamalope posted:

i like chinese food but everyone saus chinese food in china is horrible so do i even actually like chinese food i guess probably not

Theres a fuckton of different types depending on region. If its worth the effort to you, no doubt you can find something you like.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

TheSpamalope posted:

Anyone who says that is either stupid and tasteless or only ate Shanghai cuisine. Food is far and away the best part of living in China.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Grand Fromage posted:

Anyone who says that is either stupid and tasteless or only ate Shanghai cuisine. Food is far and away the best part of living in China.

Both of these points are correct and true.

China is a big place with many different and distinct cuisines. Just coz you don't like a thing served to you in one place as "Chinese food" doesn't mean you won't like a different thing from a different place that is also "Chinese food."

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah "Chinese food" is like saying "European food". There are some commonalities but the variety is enormous.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Watch Flavorful Origins on Netflix to get an idea of the variety of cuisines available in China.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Being able to just roll up to any given restaurant and know that you have an overwhelming chance of getting something delicious is a great thing about being here.

Back home it was "research and/or hope".

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm

McGavin posted:

Watch Flavorful Origins on Netflix to get an idea of the variety of cuisines available in China.

The only thing I learned from the show is Chinese producers love a lot of wet slapping sounds, apparently

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy

Grand Fromage posted:

i know three people that lived in china and they all said it i will tell them it is fake news though because i want to believe it is good there i like chinese food thank you

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Like most places I had some great food in China (more in Chengdu) and some real poo poo food (in Beijing, at least I wasn't paying for that.)

The only place I've been on vacation when every meal was great was India. Greece probably had better food overall but I did have one real poo poo meal in Crete, no idea what was going on there.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
crete is the fattest polity in the eu, and i've often noted that fatness is less correlated with good food than you would expect. it's gulf arabs, rural americans and pacific islanders on exhausted mines who are the fattest, after all, and all three cuisines are merely adequate

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

TheSpamalope posted:

i know three people that lived in china and they all said it i will tell them it is fake news though because i want to believe it is good there i like chinese food thank you

I mean there are definitely people who come to live here, hate the food, and spend years living off Familymart sandwiches and KFC, but one has to wonder: "Why?"

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

GoutPatrol posted:

The only place I've been on vacation when every meal was great was India.

South Indian vegetarian food is quite literally the food of the gods.

The best meal I have ever had in my life was a Masala Dosa at some tiny roadside shack between Chennai and Bengalaru. Served with Sambar and two different chutneys. Washed down with a Thums Up.

And don't get me started on Gulab Jamun. Yes, they will literally give you diabetes just by looking at them. But the way my dad used to make them, and add rose essence into the syrup. If you let them soak overnight and then warmed them up in the microwave and served with a scoop of ice cream. By jebus H christo it was good.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

Dosa is good but give me north indian lamb dishes any day. Or chole bhature with a big pile of raw onions and achaar.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
European restaurants suck rear end, every place you go to has the same stuff; Pizza, Borscht and Crème brûlée I'm just so tired of it

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BrigadierSensible posted:

The best meal I have ever had in my life was a Masala Dosa at some tiny roadside shack between Chennai and Bengalaru. Served with Sambar and two different chutneys. Washed down with a Thums Up.

Taste the THUNDER

That was the last vacation I took, right as everything was starting to lock down - you can see my early posts in this thread about it.

Mud huts in Kanthalloor and then House boats in the backwaters. Everyone here should try to get there.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

Dosa is good but give me north indian lamb dishes any day. Or chole bhature with a big pile of raw onions and achaar.

I am trying to not eat meat these days but I'll never give up Indian lamb.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Atopian posted:

I mean there are definitely people who come to live here, hate the food, and spend years living off Familymart sandwiches and KFC, but one has to wonder: "Why?"

oddly enough the regular colonel burger in china was distinctly pretty good, must have been the gutter oil and msg

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Atopian posted:

Because they are irreparably broke-brained?

I knew a few people like that in China.

The worst was a coworker in Korea who absolutely/literally/no joke refused to even attempt to take a single bite of ANY Korean food the entire six months he was there. He ate exclusively out of US chain restaurants and whatever he bought at Costco. He said he didn't like Korean food (even stuff like candy, chips, soft/fruit drinks, alcohol, popsicles, pastries, ramen...) while admitting that he had never tried any.

He walked out of a big fancy dinner our school threw for the staff (five minutes in, and after complaining for 4 of them), and walked across the street to eat at a loving Subway. The whole staff just watched him get up, about face, walk out the front door, and robotically march into a Subway across the street. What's even worse was we were in one of those super-rare Korean restaurants that had what appeared to be the entirety of Korean cuisine on its menu plus a fully translated English menu with top-notch descriptions. (This was the beginning of my love affair with gamja-tang)

After that incident the staff basically stopped talking to him.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I love Chinese food and I eat a ton of it but I gotta be honest, especially after years of Asia, sometimes I just wanna get papa John's or a taco or something.

Tacos are suddenly blowing up in Zhengzhou, the one foreign restaurant guy opened a taco place that's pretty good (though ngl my tacos I make at home are still better.)

Then I tried the other taco places, still a few left, but so far I've found one that makes a decent trash taco, like taco bell level, super greasy though. Then there's this other one that is completely inedible. The tacos are sweet, like candy sweet, sickeningly sweet. Literally worst tacos I've ever had in my life. I can't put into words how bad these tacos were.

So if you wanna try the worst taco in the world, the "taco everyday" in Zhengzhou is where it's at.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
When we first moved to HK (summer of 85) there was an expat woman who had never eaten in a restaurant in HK, despite being there for 5+ years. "Because they are so dirty".

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Yeah, Western food outside the tier 1s can be a bit hit or miss. I once got mayonnaise in some tacos I ordered once. Disgusting.

Beijing Hot Pot is OK, but Fuzhou food was spectacular for some reason.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I have, on more than one occasion, gotten nachos that replace the sour cream with sweet yogurt.

Like they just saw a picture of nachos and took a guess at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Vesi posted:

European restaurants suck rear end, every place you go to has the same stuff; Pizza, Borscht and Crème brûlée I'm just so tired of it

That why you go to Europe for authentic cuisines. :colbert:

You get best Currywurst from a dinghy hole in Berlin and nowhere else.