Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Robin and Bucky were children who sometimes acted like adults or viceversa, Spider-Man was breaking ground when he was worrying about how his powers and responsibilities would affect his schoolwork and personal relationships and later on how he would make ends meet despite being a top ten most powerful superhero at the time

I'm reading through Golden Age Batman right now and Batman and Robin's relationship in this era (I'm squarely in the year 1940, Robin's first year) is closer to a brother dynamic than the father and son dynamic they'd get decades later. Batman's personality has actually changed a bit from months prior, and in some cases, he reverts to becoming more childlike.

Also fun fact, Robin kills like five gangsters in his debut issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Depending on which examples you want to pull from, some other big differences between Marvel and DC is that DC once had John F Kennedy appear in a comic, and Marvel once had Barack Obama appear in a comic. Marvel Comics have at various points not been allowed to have vampires in them, but DC Comics at other points have had vampires in them.

DC over the decades has had comics written by people like Chris Claremont, Jack Kirby, Roy Thomas, Len Wein, Gerry Conway, Marv Wolfman, Jim Shooter, Neil Gaiman, Grant Morrison, Geoff Johns, Brian Michael Bendis, Kevin Smith, Mark Waid, Ann Nocenti, Dan Jurgens, the Simonsons, Peter David, John Byrne, Dan Slott, Jason Aaron, Ed Brubaker, G. Willow Wilson, Tom King, Steve Englehart, and other people who may or may not have aged well. Marvel on the other hand has also had all of those people.

The one thing they do have in common is co-owning the trademark to "Super Hero".

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
No comment on it aging well or not but Jubilee was a vampire for a couple years because there was a vampire war. She got better.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Vampire Jubilee kind of owned though.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Yeah she showed up in x-23's solo run and seemed pretty chill about the whole thing.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Volcott posted:

No comment on it aging well or not but Jubilee was a vampire for a couple years because there was a vampire war. She got better.
Well that's not fair, you're comparing the period from 1971-present in Marvel Comics where they're allowed to mention vampires with the period 1971-present in DC Comics where they're allowed to mention vampires. If you just look at those data point they seem more similar than different. If you look at the periods before that for one of the companies, they're quite different!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Spider-Man has dumb problems like getting drunk at a party and fighting one of the Goblins so wasted that he can’t quip properly, and killing MJ with his radioactive spider jizz.

Batman has dumb problems like mandating that he not be pictured sitting because “Batman doesn’t sit!!”

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Ok i need to see the drunk spidey issue

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
Im sorry, the spider jizz thing has to made up.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lex Luthor got off lucky with just the lethal kryptonite ring. drat.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

GreenMetalSun posted:

the spider jizz was not only real, it was a major plotline

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Is he strong? Listen, bud, he's got radioactive jizz.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

🎶 spider load, spider load
In the dark all his socks glowed
Deadly jizz, toxic cum
That's what Mary Jane did die from
🎶

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

thank you so much for this reply, i hate it

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

🎶 spider load, spider load
In the dark all his socks glowed
Deadly jizz, toxic cum
That's what Mary Jane did die from
🎶

Look out! Here comes the spider load

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

GreenMetalSun posted:

I'm so sorry for you to learn this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man:_Reign

quote:

Mary Jane Watson-Parker: The long-dead wife of Peter Parker. Though dead, she appears as a recurring hallucination to Peter. It is revealed that she died of cancer brought on by exposure to Peter's radioactive semen during intercourse over the years.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

GreenMetalSun posted:

Spider man storylines get so bad that previously reviled ones end up looking better.

The Spider-clone saga was a notorious story that was pretty widely hated, and by the time One More Day came out then reaction to it was "drat, clone saga really wasn't that bad was it?"

Rockman Reserve posted:

Spider-Man has dumb problems like getting drunk at a party and fighting one of the Goblins so wasted that he can’t quip properly, and killing MJ with his radioactive spider jizz.

Batman has dumb problems like mandating that he not be pictured sitting because “Batman doesn’t sit!!”

Also couldn't be insinuated that Batman went down on Catwoman during foreplay because "heroes don't do that"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

pentyne posted:

Also couldn't be insinuated that Batman went down on Catwoman during foreplay because "heroes don't do that"

Radioactive masculinity.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m imagining a scene on the 60s show where Batman explains to Robin that forthright, pure-hearted heroes don’t deny women their company, but must always deny women their essence.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I AM GRANDO posted:

I’m imagining a scene on the 60s show where Batman explains to Robin that forthright, pure-hearted heroes don’t deny women their company, but must always deny women their essence.

That's more 40s serials Batman.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

pentyne posted:

Say what you will about Zack Snyder and his films, but him commissioning a piece of fanart of Batman going down on Catwoman and declaring it to be canon in response to that announcement was amazing.

(And then Warner Brothers using a copyright strike to get it removed was pathetic on their part.)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

i wouldn't exactly call a 4 issue alternate universe limited series a "major plotline"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
So is spider jizz radiation beta or gamma radiation?

seems like using a rubber should have saved MJ is it was alpha or beta loads.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I AM GRANDO posted:

this is my bat-semen retention chastity belt, robin

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I AM GRANDO posted:

Come on, now. You look at him do the Bat-tusi and you tell me that man doesn't gently caress.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Adam West and Frank Gorshin famously got kicked out of an orgy because they wouldn't stop being in their Batman characters.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
What’s the point of Batman’s mask leaving his mouth uncovered if he’s not gonna use it?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Alaois posted:

i wouldn't exactly call a 4 issue alternate universe limited series a "major plotline"

to be fair I had entirely forgotten that this plotline was in Reign at all and was referring to the side/alternate story from amazing spider-man issue 700, where the main (insane) story is about peter dying in doc ock's body after they switched brains, and is pretty much immediately followed with six or seven pages of elderly peter weeping about his killer sperm

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Volcott posted:

huh. ok.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Rockman Reserve posted:

to be fair I had entirely forgotten that this plotline was in Reign at all and was referring to the side/alternate story from amazing spider-man issue 700, where the main (insane) story is about peter dying in doc ock's body after they switched brains, and is pretty much immediately followed with six or seven pages of elderly peter weeping about his killer sperm
There is a back-up story (which is a weird JM DeMatteis thing that I don't fully understand) about an alternate universe or maybe just an alternate future where Peter Parker has Alzheimer's and also went into witness protection in Chicago? Regardless the story is a guy in Chicago named Martin is recounting his life as Spider-Man to his grandson which involves him not quite remembering who Colonel America and Irondevil and Kraven the Rhino and whether Nick Fury or Matt Murdock were in charge of SHIELD. This Spider-Man's unnamed wife appears to have died a few years prior to the story, but there is zero mention of killer sperm.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
did the virus or the bite turn her into a vampire? why have both??? :psyduck:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

pentyne posted:

Spider man storylines get so bad that previously reviled ones end up looking better.

The Spider-clone saga was a notorious story that was pretty widely hated, and by the time One More Day came out then reaction to it was "drat, clone saga really wasn't that bad was it?"

The Clone Saga was super popular at first, so popular that Marvel wouldn't let it actually end until sales dropped like a rock because everyone got sick of it.

Also Batman DOES sit, on the Batcomputer chair. But editors and suits get really stupid about character things. It sometimes makes sense with like, Spider-man very rarely pictured just standing or sitting when he can be crouching, sticking to a wall or hanging on a web because that's his iconic poses and it emphasis his character and his abilities. Other times poo poo gets taken to extremes like Sonic not being allowed to have emotions or relationships or context. There's a reason all those Sonic tie-ins and games keep introducing new characters, because that's the only way you'll be allowed to actually have arcs or characterisation.

moonmazed posted:

There's probably Lore with how vampires work in Marvel that no two writers agree on or can remember.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Other times poo poo gets taken to extremes like Sonic not being allowed to have emotions or relationships or context. There's a reason all those Sonic tie-ins and games keep introducing new characters, because that's the only way you'll be allowed to actually have arcs or characterization.

In Sega's defense after the mess with Ken Penders I can't blame them at all for not wanting Sonic to have emotions or relationships or anything.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Clone Saga was super popular at first, so popular that Marvel wouldn't let it actually end until sales dropped like a rock because everyone got sick of it.

Here's a good 35 part article about the whole behind the scenes of the Clone Saga mess:

http://www.benreillytribute.x10host.com/LifeofReilly1.html

For what it's worth I liked at the time. Ben Reilly/Scarlet Spider was cool, and Pete retiring with mary jane to have a family was a nice send off to the character.I also really liked the Spider-Girl comic that was the future of this time line.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There was a period when Marvel had a whole slate of b-versions of their big heroes: Thunderstrike, War Machine, US Agent, Fantastic Force. A Spiderman who was blonde and wore a hoodie but in San Francisco or Seattle would have fit right in if they let him live. Arguably, that was what they did with Venom in the 90s.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

moonmazed posted:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's probably Lore with how vampires work in Marvel that no two writers agree on or can remember.
"How vampires works" in the Marvel Universe is (almost always) pretty straightforward and the traditional US Pop Culture version of how vampires work.

The "Jubilee Becomes a Vampire" storyline was all part of a single writer's story, Victor Gischler's "Curse of the Mutants" storyline about ten years ago. That particular story introduced a bunch of dumb elements rarely/never brought up by anyone but Victor Gischler before or since.

Dracula gets assassinated by his never-before-mentioned son XARUS, who conspired with all of the never-before-mentioned Vampire Sects that are legally distinct from Vampire: The Masquerade Clans to betray Dracula. Also Dracula is now like a big buff dude with a long white ponytail and some red power armor. Xarus promises to take over the world for vampires and sends out suicide bomber vampires to jump into crowded places in daylight and explode into a blood mist, and it's revealed the suicide bomber vampires have been given a virus to make their vampire blood even more vampire-infectious.

So Jubilee is one of the victims of the blood mist suicide bombers, and it's a dramatic plot point about how all of these people are going to eventually turn into vampires unless the X-Men can find a cure. They eventually find a cure, but not before XARUS bites Jubilee and fully vampirizes her, so the cure won't work on her, just everyone else.

Meanwhile the X-Men resurrect Dracula and help him become Vampire King again and form a truce with Dracula but both sides know they'll fight again one day. But Victor Gischler doesn't really bring it up again for the rest of his X-Men run (though he does a Hulk vs. Dracula mini-series in 2011), then Gischler stops writing for Marvel soon after and everything from his run but Dracula is politely ignored, Dracula reverts to black suit and a cape, no more Vampire Suicide Bomb Blood Viruses.

"Jubilee is a Vampire" is the only real lasting thing from Gischler's vampire story, though that got reversed later. Jason Aaron has made some passing references in his current Avengers run to some of this, mostly nodding to the idea of Dracula having a rebellious son and wanting to turn superpowered folks into vampires again.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I AM GRANDO posted:

There was a period when Marvel had a whole slate of b-versions of their big heroes: Thunderstrike, War Machine, US Agent, Fantastic Force. A Spiderman who was blonde and wore a hoodie but in San Francisco or Seattle would have fit right in if they let him live. Arguably, that was what they did with Venom in the 90s.

DC iirc had something similar going on with Azrael, Artemis, and some other EDGY antihero substitutes. (Azrael was at least purposely taking the concept apart given he got nuts and Batman came back and had to take him down)

To a degree, the concept does work in the context of big shared universes that if you want to have Iron Man in for a crossover but turns out he's currently in space or turned to energy or at rehab, you can hastily change it to War Machine who's presumed to have no current engagements.

Also, yes, Dracula is a freelance Marvel villain who's tangled with almost literally everyone, but for some reason most commonly the X-Men. Well, and Blade.

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 14:32 on Mar 26, 2022

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

yeah this is about what i expected :v:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The best Marvel story about vampires is when Dracula took all the vampires to live in castles on the moon and, while they were there, Captai Britain revoked their invitation to Earth.

So, when they launched their invasion fleet of vampire space ships, and vampires launched from cannon like human inhuman cannonballs, they all burned up in Earth's atmosphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Henchman of Santa posted:

What’s the point of Batman’s mask leaving his mouth uncovered if he’s not gonna use it?

"Hold on, let me just deploy my... BAT DAM" *thin latex covering envelops lower half of face*