Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Problematic Pigeon posted:

No one will believe me but before watching the episode, I laid out my grand theory to the only other person I know who watches the show, and it included Gemma=Ms. Casey but I neglected to post it so now I can't claim any Internet Cred :(

Anyway, here's the rest of it: The number-sorting task MDR is doing is actually rewiring or rebooting minds, probably those of people who are brain-dead or otherwise personality-less (like a clone or something). Specifically, they are "taming the tempers four" or whatever it was Cobel said when praying in front of her creepy Keir shrine. Each file is a different person, and the grid of numbers is a synaptic map. The files expire because the brains can't be kept in stasis forever--eventually they'll degrade--so it is important to complete as much as possible before the time limit is up and they have activate whatever tech they have to wake the brain up with its new personality. Maybe there's another department that does the opposite of MDR--putting numbers in rather than out, thereby instilling the 9 Core Principles. The goal is to create people perfected according to Keir Eagen's philosophy.

So far they haven't been too successful, because not enough files are being completed, and those that are not fast enough to avoid some brain degradation, hence the drive to meet quotas. The results of MDR's efforts are the people Petey mentioned who never get to leave. The only one we see interacting with is Ms. Casey because she is the only one who is able to interact with people at least somewhat normally. This is because she was the subject of the greatest refinement ever: Allentown, aka Mark's Freshman Fluke.

Just as the refiners are able to subconsciously recognize emotions in certain numbers, Mark subconsciously recognized his wife in Allentown, and his familiarity with her meant that he was able to complete it in record time, a feat no one--not even Mark--has been able to replicate because of their connection. Given that Cobel is interested in "trying something new" with Ms. Casey and Mark, and that she seems intent on catching whether or not Mark and Casey/Gemma's connection is causing information or emotions to leak between personalities, Mark may have been specifically recruited to Lumon to refine Gemma himself. I don't know if they actually told Mark anything about this--I kinda doubt it, I don't think his actions really support that, but I can't be certain. Either way, Cobel at least intended it.

Yeah, I think you're on to something here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

No one will believe me but before watching the episode, I laid out my grand theory to the only other person I know who watches the show, and it included Gemma=Ms. Casey but I neglected to post it so now I can't claim any Internet Cred :(

Anyway, here's the rest of it: The number-sorting task MDR is doing is actually rewiring or rebooting minds, probably those of people who are brain-dead or otherwise personality-less (like a clone or something). Specifically, they are "taming the tempers four" or whatever it was Cobel said when praying in front of her creepy Keir shrine. Each file is a different person, and the grid of numbers is a synaptic map. The files expire because the brains can't be kept in stasis forever--eventually they'll degrade--so it is important to complete as much as possible before the time limit is up and they have activate whatever tech they have to wake the brain up with its new personality. Maybe there's another department that does the opposite of MDR--putting numbers in rather than out, thereby instilling the 9 Core Principles. The goal is to create people perfected according to Keir Eagen's philosophy.

So far they haven't been too successful, because not enough files are being completed, and those that are not fast enough to avoid some brain degradation, hence the drive to meet quotas. The results of MDR's efforts are the people Petey mentioned who never get to leave. The only one we see interacting with is Ms. Casey because she is the only one who is able to interact with people at least somewhat normally. This is because she was the subject of the greatest refinement ever: Allentown, aka Mark's Freshman Fluke.

Just as the refiners are able to subconsciously recognize emotions in certain numbers, Mark subconsciously recognized his wife in Allentown, and his familiarity with her meant that he was able to complete it in record time, a feat no one--not even Mark--has been able to replicate because of their connection. Given that Cobel is interested in "trying something new" with Ms. Casey and Mark, and that she seems intent on catching whether or not Mark and Casey/Gemma's connection is causing information or emotions to leak between personalities, Mark may have been specifically recruited to Lumon to refine Gemma himself. I don't know if they actually told Mark anything about this--I kinda doubt it, I don't think his actions really support that, but I can't be certain. Either way, Cobel at least intended it.

Is the Allentown stuff from the Apple book?

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

koshmar posted:

Is the Allentown stuff from the Apple book?

I haven't read it, so it could completely contradict everything I wrote.

Dylan talks about it with Helly at one point, if I remember correctly.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, it's in episode 1 or 2, but they obscure it by fading the dialogue out halfway through the discussion.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Wait till you realize why she had that green-and-red candle in Mark’s wellness visit when he made the tree.

Oh god loving dammit I had forgotten about that. I had thought it was just Cobel getting her sick jollies or just seeing how Mark might react to it, and both those things could still be true but now with that extra added element that makes me detest her even more!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It kind of the first thing that makes me like her, if only in an agent-of-chaos kind of way, deliberately trying to reconnect them even if it's a super hosed up circumstance. I guess I just implicitly hate the board even more than her.

And regarding if the numbers refinement = editing severed people one way or the other, I wonder what connection it had to the numbers next to their names in the security room with the health readouts and stuff. I can't quite recall but they didn't seem like id numbers, maybe their "Scores?"

rewatching ep1: and Dylan's talking about wrapping up the Tumwater file and Petey needing to process it. I don't recall mark ever processing anyone's anything after he becomes Petey's position. He then opens a virtual rolodex with filenames, picking Dranesville to work on. Don't know if I noticed before the files had been named I mostly noticed the numbers and haven't been paying attention to the UI. Dunno if it's important but the other filenames barely shown he flips through are Bellingham, Cairns, Coleman, Culpepper.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 26, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I can't believe we're (possibly) meeting the board next week. I never thought we'd get to that point this season.

This show has been very quickly paced, surprisingly.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That is an interesting idea if that's what she's doing. The board thinks reintegration doesn't exist, and she's trying to prove it. So she promotes Mark to make things more stressful for him. (Maybe she even chose Helly who perhaps is someone that isn't a fit for the severed program, so her rebellious innie also stresses out Mark). Then she starts working on stressing out outie Mark by doing annoying poo poo like putting her garbage bins in his spot. Then hopefully that puts enough stress on his brain that, with the help of the candle, and the wellness person being his actual wife, maybe things bleed through.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

I can't believe we're (possibly) meeting the board next week. I never thought we'd get to that point this season.

This show has been very quickly paced, surprisingly.

I can't believe that they really did the muffled voice thing, like the board in Control, when they were talking to the assistant lady.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

I can't believe that they really did the muffled voice thing, like the board in Control, when they were talking to the assistant lady.

The people who make this show seem influenced by gaming -- they've cited The Stanley Parable as an influence -- so I wonder if it's deliberate.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
why does helly have white roses when leaving her first day at work in the parking lot? edit: oh millichick gives em to her "hey old-timer! one day down"

what is lumon putting in the waters?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Mar 26, 2022

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
In the security room, the numbers for Irving and Helly sync up even after changing:

9056 IRVING B
2021 DYLAN G
9056 HELLY R
6709 MARK S

1112 IRVING B
1266 DYLAN G
1112 HELLY R
5100 MARK S

The bleed-through might be working both ways with the Innies and Outies. Mark's Innie sculpts the tree where Gemma died while in the presence of Gemma and Gemma's candle, and Mark's Outie recalls the language of the wellness sessions (performed by Ms. Casey) when remembering Gemma:

"Try to enjoy all these facts equally."

"I loved all these things about her equally."

I'm loving this show. At this point, I don't even care if they stick the landing. What they have so far is enormously compelling.

This is purestrain Philip K. Dick.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
they don't show the end of the _free brain surgery_ and im' wondering if they all have a soft spot where they drilled the hole

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Khanstant posted:

they don't show the end of the _free brain surgery_ and im' wondering if they all have a soft spot where they drilled the hole

Severance USB-C

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Khanstant posted:

why does helly have white roses when leaving her first day at work in the parking lot?
First-day welcome gift from Milchick. Don't recall if there was any more context than that. Maybe everyone gets something.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
yeah at the time wondering if white roses meant something, i dont know all the flower meanings, but some kind of gift I think probably more personal to her, for whatever reason the unsevered were excited she was doing it. Jame Eagan is apparently trying to sever children (which definitely means they've already gone and done it), I'm still suspecting Helly to maybe be his kid or some other exec to prove a point.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There's something horrific here about creating a new workforce of severed labourers, and I feel like the show is driving in this direction. Could Gema's body be legally dead, but the severwnce body be owned by Lumon?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That'd be great because I feel like nobody really made a fuss when Grand Moff Tarkin's image was puppeted by Disney for Rogue One. His family/estate agreed to it, but effectively if you work for Disney they have a way to use your image to work for them, even after you die.

Or when Kanye made a deepfaked Robert Kardashian hologram from OJ footage to make him say weird poo poo to Kim and compliment Kanye on his genius. I don't know what you call the wrongness there but idk, I'm not "okay" with that sort of thing at all, like on a level I reactively want legislation guaranteeing no labour after death. Gemma being a braindead-outie with a still-made-to-work innie highlights that sort of horror.

Ep 2 has a scene where Dylan is telling Helly more about mark's freshmen fluke, but the captions stop and the audio fades out, but even turning it up they reversed the audio and warbled it a bit. SO curious what he's saying.

IS it me or do the middle figure kind of look like Helly? My first thought was maybe it was our 4 MDR heroes being whipped into submission by Dear Leader. Mark the fool, Dylan the ram, the young woman helly, the crone Irving. It was apparently painted years before so could also be with Carol D, but I'm thinking the iconography here more general, maybe each figure representing a department oh durr it's their keir principles again woe/dread/frolic/malice. still, wouldn't be fun painting iconography if everything only had one meanings or context.

edit: oh didn't catch the news broadcast featured ther lady who speaks for the board, and one of the issues theyre talking about is a woman who got pregnant a month after her job went severed. yikes

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 26, 2022

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Khanstant posted:

edit: oh didn't catch the news broadcast featured ther lady who speaks for the board, and one of the issues theyre talking about is a woman who got pregnant a month after her job went severed. yikes
Yeah, I'm gonna be honest... the thought crossed my mind that if Helly really wanted to gently caress her Outtie over, rather than finger cutting or noose strangulation suicide, she could just gently caress a co-worker. I know the show's avoiding it because it's an extremely tasteless subject to broach and good on them for doing so but, yeah, the thought's there.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Mar 26, 2022

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Khanstant posted:

That'd be great because I feel like nobody really made a fuss when Grand Moff Tarkin's image was puppeted by Disney for Rogue One. His family/estate agreed to it, but effectively if you work for Disney they have a way to use your image to work for them, even after you die.

Or when Kanye made a deepfaked Robert Kardashian hologram from OJ footage to make him say weird poo poo to Kim and compliment Kanye on his genius. I don't know what you call the wrongness there but idk, I'm not "okay" with that sort of thing at all, like on a level I reactively want legislation guaranteeing no labour after death. Gemma being a braindead-outie with a still-made-to-work innie highlights that sort of horror.

Okay sure but a hologram is not an actual person experiencing those things. The dude who played Tarkin was in no way impacted by that, because he's dead.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That’s not what labor means

Your saying like you can’t use historical figures in art which is weird.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baUVMSrC5t4

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

blue squares posted:

Okay sure but a hologram is not an actual person experiencing those things. The dude who played Tarkin was in no way impacted by that, because he's dead.

They did the same thing with Mark Hamill though for the Boba Fett show, and he is very much alive.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

njsykora posted:

They did the same thing with Mark Hamill though for the Boba Fett show, and he is very much alive.

Yeah so they asked him and he participated in the filming

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
I'm wondering if Mark's alcohol use is going to come back somehow. Like maybe he was driving the car when Gemma 'died'.

'emotional convenience' and 'I'm not a bad person' have some deeper meaning I think...

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I think it's up in the air whether that car crash even happened at all. Ms Casey is obviously fine, physically anyway. It could be an implanted memory of some kind, or a falsified story.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

The Board always makes me think of Management, from Counterpart.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

roomtone posted:

I think it's up in the air whether that car crash even happened at all. Ms Casey is obviously fine, physically anyway. It could be an implanted memory of some kind, or a falsified story.

Could be part of a plot to crack Lumen, and I’m starting to think there are major corporate espionage things going on

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Roxana Hadadi from Vulture interviewed Tramell Tillman about the new episode right here and it's good, lots of good info about the big sequence from ep7

my favorite note:

Tillman and Rodriguez decided he would be unaware of the dance moves the MDR team would perform during the sequence, adding the additional challenge of Tillman organically responding to them during filming. (The actor’s only self-imposed rule for Milchick: “It’s in the Lumon handbook, no twerking.”) During the first day of filming the MDE, with ice on hand to keep Tillman from sweating through a cream cashmere sweater that “traps heat like none other,” the cast and crew didn’t even get to the dancing.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

yeah ive been thinking something similar. actually right off the bat in the beginning of the first episode, when we saw the computers with all the numbers they were working on i said to my wife “oh i bet they’re the ones doing the memory manipulations to make severed people” and i only had second thoughts on that once i read the ebook. i didn’t guess his wife was ms casey specifically but i did figure it had to be someone in the company somehow and in retrospect who else could it be? there were only two choices

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I hope that we get to see the parts of the MDE that were filmed but didn’t make the cut to the actual episode.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Ah poo poo, it's not just to "severed people" is it, I bet it's their own memories they're loving around with. Possibly something to do with removing/softening traumatic memories, for some reason? That's why they need them, because only their brains can recognize their own scary numbers.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Argue posted:

Ah poo poo, it's not just to "severed people" is it, I bet it's their own memories they're loving around with. Possibly something to do with removing/softening traumatic memories, for some reason? That's why they need them, because only their brains can recognize their own scary numbers.

I know people have been predicting this but the book they released certainly sounds like a very different direction: when the numbers on a file are completed, a rival company's industrial prototypes are destroyed in an explosion.

Though it's more of a terrifying correlation the character observes, not something she can prove or understands.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Labor was a bad word choice, there's a difference between labor and whatever we're supposed to call the practice of making convincing recreations of dead people to perform and say things they had no say in, things the ex-living person they represent wouldn't say or feel. Whatever it is called, it's disturbing to know that even when you die, some company or weirdo could take your body and voice and reputation to do... whatever they wanted. For now it's poo poo like acting in a lovely company's movies or lying to kim kardashian and I'm already not cool with it, without speculating where else it goes further.

blue squares posted:

Alright, but it's illegal to gently caress a corpse or dig one up to dress up for halloween decorations and neither of those things affect the person who no longer exists. I don't personally believe there is a mechanic for souls to exist or for consciousness to carry on after death(outside of scifi copying), but many/most folks believe in that sort of thing, and I think it'd be disturbing to them on that level.

euphronius posted:

Youre saying like you can’t use historical figures in art which is weird.

Put like that, then I'd have to say I think people should have rights over their image, since we're already parcelling out ideas and intellectual property and nonsense like that. Since art has reached the level where this is a thing, that someone's image has value to companies and folks ought to have control and authority over theirs. And if art gets to the point of using simulated consciousnesses, think same sorta deal needs to go down, with whatever added complexity of the consciousnesses probably should be having rights of their own at that point? Then again you can always put your foot down with art, some folks drew their lines at a urinal ya know?

eke out posted:

I know people have been predicting this but the book they released certainly sounds like a very different direction: when the numbers on a file are completed, a rival company's industrial prototypes are destroyed in an explosion.

Though it's more of a terrifying correlation the character observes, not something she can prove or understands.

I'm still hoping for something a bit more interesting than "terrorism" but rewatching ep4 and looking at the little petey map, very much wondering about this "coil of doom" and arrow coming out of the perpetuity wing.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Khanstant posted:

I'm still hoping for something a bit more interesting than "terrorism" but rewatching ep4 and looking at the little petey map, very much wondering about this "coil of doom" and arrow coming out of the perpetuity wing.

I also wonder whether it isn't partially a fakeout and the events are caused in some other way. Especially now that we know that Lumen could easily hide severed employee personalities in real people out in the real world, then activate the employee to take them over -- very easy to imagine them doing a bombing by having one of their agents do it, for instance, rather than it being effectively magic

e:

quote:

Is there a specific reason that people are writing Lumen instead of Lumon?

i forgot

eke out fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 26, 2022

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Is there a specific reason that people are writing Lumen instead of Lumon?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah magic or something weird like somehow hacking chemical mixtures that are somehow internet enabled just to be vulnerable to sabotage??

I think LuluLemon's definitely severing kids already, possibly one or more of our characters are people who were severed as children or were "bred" via severed workers. Maybe they even live in the building, peteys map has a spot for it.

They're also doing something to the water, all of their locations are suspiciously next to big bodies of water and the water is already how the government puts fluoride mind control in.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Khanstant posted:

When was this?

roomtone posted:

But don't his family members acknowledge the crash? Unless everyone in his life is fake or something.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Episode 2 or 3, there's a TV report on in the background Mark & Harmony seeing it respectively in their homes. A lot of it involves just petulant bickering over the terms "insie" and "outsie" to deflect from the issues, but before that the presenter is trying to grill her about the reports of employees speaking against the company, including one who became pregnant shortly after her work became severed.

I think his family acknowledged the crash and her death, but I don't think they necessarily witnessed the crash or ever saw her corpse, unless you open for taxidermy and an open casket funeral, most people probably don't ever physically confirm the death of a relative's loved one, you certainly don't ask the grieving to "prove it, prove your wife is a normal deceased corpse and there's not something sinister, tragicer, or mysterious going on"

Rewatching 4 right now and before they look at another painting they quote some kier "Let not weakness live in your veins. Cherished workers, drown it inside you. Rise up from your deathbed and sally forth, more perfect for the struggle." Could be referring to things like the break room torture meant to purify or temper their humors or whatever, along with whatever psycho noise they play that milichick has to tune out. What's a bit distrubing about this painting though is how the sick or injured kid there seems to have bizarrely large arms, almost looks to me like an adult's body with a child's head transposed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Khanstant posted:

Rise up from your deathbed and sally forth, more perfect for the struggle.

:eyepop: