Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Electric Phantasm posted:

Someone tell me what those platforms around Glasya's arena are for.

There's a phase where each party gets teleported to the outside platforms, maybe the boss does an ancient-flare like attack on the main one. I can't remember. Each platform has a mob they need to kill, and then teleporters that bounce them to other platforms. You kill your party's add, move to the next platform, and repeat until they're all done and you can go back to the main.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Glasya becomes invincible and some tethers appear from the arena edges and start charging him up for a death aoe while 3 robot adds spawn. You have to position the robots so that a tether connects to them, and then branch from them to a jump pad. Then you kill them and the jump pads power up so you can escape to the outer ring, and kill more adds before coming back.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
What is going on in the Atmos platform section of World of Darkness.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The Glasya stuff was being skipped in ARR so it's hard to remember.

koshmar posted:

Each party just keeps killing their atomos a few times, and he summons that giant guy. He'll swallow people (orange marker and those nearby) and spit them out to the outer ring. If anyone steps on the lit platform, it will activate the jump pads on the bottom and they can get back up.

There's not a whole lot to it.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

koshmar posted:

I think the crystal in the center of the three platforms has a health bar that it drains to heal atomoses so you kill them until it kills itself healing them

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

What's Glasya?

Glasya Labolas lol gottem

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I did WoD today for my ADR and even thought the 3 paths got marked only 4 members of my party including me made it to the platform. Apparently party A’s area had 14 people in it. We still somehow managed to move on.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The Black Stones posted:

I did WoD today for my ADR and even thought the 3 paths got marked only 4 members of my party including me made it to the platform. Apparently party A’s area had 14 people in it. We still somehow managed to move on.

IIRC, alliance raids will shuffle latecomers into the leftmost/A path, so I'm guessing someone jumped the gun way early and sealed the area. I've definitely seen this lead to wipes on the LotA Atomos segment, but I'd guess that in WoD, you can clear just killing one Atomos over and over?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

koshmar posted:

The person who gets targeted with suction ideally should jump off the platform and the rest of the party get behind atomos. This way no one gets sucked (and thus he doesn't do a big aoe) in and everyone is able to keep dpsing. Someone needs to touch the glowing platform up top each time it lights up to keep the jump platforms at the bottom for another party active.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
How did tanking Bone Dragon out of the bone zone even start? I know there were theories that people latched on an early Mrhappy strat, but I don't even think he was an advocate for that

Also, how long as it been since people have seen the floor worms in the Cloud of Darkness fight

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

MechaX posted:

How did tanking Bone Dragon out of the bone zone even start? I know there were theories that people latched on an early Mrhappy strat, but I don't even think he was an advocate for that

Also, how long as it been since people have seen the floor worms in the Cloud of Darkness fight

I saw it near the tail end of 5.5 during a really wack WoD run.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

MechaX posted:

Mizzteq did a raid video with that as the dragon north as the strategy. She probably didn't invent it, so it was happening before that as well.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Generally if I see anybody die during Bone Dragon it's because like 6 skeletons popped simultaneously and some people had a lower HP total than the rest from gear, which a medica would only help if it went off somewhere in the middle of the damage application (since they each trigger their own attack and the engine has to process handing it out). I've never seen it wipe, though, much less since LotA was adjusted to only have 3 tanks instead of 6.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Badger of Basra posted:

I think the crystal in the center of the three platforms has a health bar that it drains to heal atomoses so you kill them until it kills itself healing them

This was what I was missing, I could never figure out what finally killed the atmos for good. I only just realized you have to step on the glowing panel on the top to light up the ones below.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

people don't leave castrum because prae is twice as long therefore twice as much xp, people leave castrum because prae is twice as long but also less of it is Actually Playing the Game. there's more time in prae to do literally anything else like watch youtube, or do the dishes, or fold laundry. castrum is a lot more broken up by short, annoying cutscenes and dumb searchlight/cannon gimmicks.

increasing the leaver penalty wouldn't fix this, because the queue penalty isn't a penalty when you were literally planning on not actually playing the game

not that it matters because the dungeons are getting reworked anyway

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Everyone always says exp/hour exp/hour, but yeah exp/hour actually playing the game is clearly the way more relevant metric. I am 100x more happy when I see prae because it means I can knock out like 100 more kanji reviews than I could in castrum. 一目瞭然

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

If you don't want to play the game, you shouldn't play the game, imo.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah. It's a bit of a design failure that the best reward is by not playing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah. It's a bit of a design failure that the best reward is by not playing.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

If you put this much thought into a roulette you're a lost soul and I hope God's grace can find you in that darkness one day.

If you don't wanna do the queue don't do it!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

I haven't ran MSQR since Heavensward.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

No, he has a point. Part of the tug of war story-based MMOs have to deal with is the fact that you need multiple people to do some content. If you do something like CM/Prae where you're putting a major story beat in with lots of cutscenes, either everyone has to watch them or no one can. It's a curious, and in my opinion, bad choice to put mandatory story progression inside an instance with mandatory cutscenes. It effectively gates character progression behind group content and creates a social dependency that forces the game to somehow siphon players from the top levels to come back down and keep the dependency satisfied.

This is a trade-off when you make your game an MMO vs. a Single Player or otherwise not-MMO game. Like, it's cool, but also bad MMO design.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The only times I've ever done Praetorium or CM since the first time I did them was when friends of mine were also doing it for the first time. I want to play the game, so I never do MSQ roulette. Though I am looking forward to seeing how it changes.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Here's the Folding Ideas video where Dan goes over WoW Classic, and around 30 minutes in he gets to the meat and potatoes of why CM and Prae are probably bad game design for an MMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RxQRswLAmI&t=1785s

The thesis being, "you're at the mercy of other players." Additionally, the problem is compounded by his point at around 32 minutes where overtime an MMO accumulates high level players and the low levels tend to thin out. FF14 has been growing and bringing in new blood pretty consistently, so it's not a terribly pressing issue right now, but there are already systems in the game designed to encourage veteran players to play old content for the sake of newbies.

edit: This post brought to you by me waiting for Prae cutscenes to finish.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 26, 2022

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

They also notably agree, because they never make the mistake they made with Castrum or Prae again.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Well you'll probably be able to do it with trusts in the future regardless, so

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Yeah I don't think the devs themselves would say MSQR was good game design, certainly at this point if it ever was, they just weren't able to justify reworking it over other priorities until now. I'm sure those instances being spaghetti code central didn't help. Anything that has a functional elevator in it must be a nightmare considering how hard they stopped using them

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Is the Prae rework in 6.1 or later down the chain?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Is the Prae rework in 6.1 or later down the chain?
Everything Trust-related up through 2.0 will be in 6.1, which means that Cape Westwind will become a solo duty, CM will become a 4-man dungeon, Praetorium will become a 4-man dungeon up to Gaius, The Ultima Weapon will become a 4-man raid (like Ifrit Normal), and Lahabrea will also become a solo duty.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I still just want a dungeon blacklist. Just give me 5 slots so I can never see the ct raids, copperbell, and probably one of the 2 dungeons that ends with a kraken fight ever again. Actually scratch that, o10 can gently caress off instead of the kraken dungeons.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 26, 2022

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
That defeats the point of the roulette existing to fill groups for content nobody wants to do.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

CJ posted:

That defeats the point of the roulette existing to fill groups for content nobody wants to do.

Not really! People aren't going to pick the same 5 things. Also consider that I never queue for ADR because I don't want to get stuck in the CT raids. If I could block those trash instances, I would (well, would have prior to getting everything to 90) done ADR regularly. There is also, apparently, no shortage of people who intentionally only run the CT raids so it's not like there's going to be a shortage of those runs.

That said, copperbell, totorak, and aurum vale would never pop again but eh, those will all be trustable soon.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Yeah I hate doing most of the StB MSQ dungeons but uh...It's very important people be able to do them reliably so I don't really have much issue with getting them in roulette for the hundredth time.

Failboattootoot posted:

Not really! People aren't going to pick the same 5 things. Also consider that I never queue for ADR because I don't want to get stuck in the CT raids. If I could block those trash instances, I would (well, would have prior to getting everything to 90) done ADR regularly.

There would absolutely be dungeons that would heavily get hosed because of that and you know it. AV and Toto rak come to mind.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Yeah a lot of people would pick at least the same 2-3 dungeons in that.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I don't get the hate for Toto Rak. Since the Endwalker nerf you can just pull wall pull everything so it doesn't matter that it has more trash than usual. Maybe it's people who don't know you can jump to use your momentum to get through the snot gauntlet. I'd much rather get that than Copperbell.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Totorak is legit one of the fastest dungeons to get in a roulette if you know how to do it and have at least one dps capable of aoeing.

It just feels like a slog, even when you're sprinting your way through a sub-12 minute run.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Aurum Vale's not slated to have a trustable version at least up through 7.0, by the by. They're only working on dungeons absolutely essential for main-story progress, even if there are optional dungeons in the Leveling Roulette. This will mean that Dusk Vigil and Shisui of the Violet Tides will also get skipped in the patches.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Like it or not the primary reasons roulettes exists is to funnel you into dungeons you wouldn't be redoing otherwise to help others clear it and they're not going to do much to impede that even as trusts become more ubiquitous.

Hell it's also the secondary goal of a lot of the side content like Chloe books and Relics and Mogtomes.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
The Chloe book thing is kind of undermined by letting you unsync it and just use reroll points to do Garuda over and over.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

CJ posted:

The Chloe book thing is kind of undermined by letting you unsync it and just use reroll points to do Garuda over and over.

But the only way to reroll Garuda is by doing stuff with new players. Checkmate.

I usually do Trials roulette on my tank for quick book points. Raids often gets shunted into Pandaemonium and people doing it for the weekly, but non-extreme trials are targeted by catbooks and new players so you can usually do em. Also they're just plain fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Second chance points are pretty easy to get, odds are most alliance raids will have at least 1 new person in 24