Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
The only Mary I've ever known is 38, the only Winston I've ever known is 37.

edit: I swear, there is some kind of bad snipe curse on me lately

YeahTubaMike has a new favorite as of 15:16 on Mar 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

These old-young cycles are also true for Dutch names. Like, no one in Flanders who is named Luc, Rita, André or Liliane is going to be younger than 50, while people with names like Jef or Jules are either over 80 or under 10. I myself have such a 'generational' name that clearly marks me as an elder Millennial - after 1988, almost no boys with my name were born here.

It was my impression English did have a larger variety of "evergreen" names like John, William, Mary, etc.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I have a first first name that's never been in the top 5 but has been in the top 15 or 20 ever since we've had first names. Every generation will have one or two famous 3Ds.

e: Hmm I guess the data is muddled somewhat by the fact that it counts all first names, not just first first names. So you've got Antero in the top ten despite literally no-one's first first name being Antero.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 17:58 on Mar 17, 2022

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pope Hilarius II posted:

These old-young cycles are also true for Dutch names. Like, no one in Flanders who is named Luc, Rita, André or Liliane is going to be younger than 50, while people with names like Jef or Jules are either over 80 or under 10. I myself have such a 'generational' name that clearly marks me as an elder Millennial - after 1988, almost no boys with my name were born here.

It was my impression English did have a larger variety of "evergreen" names like John, William, Mary, etc.

Today I learned that Dutch has Jeffs

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
My name is a medium popular 80s girl name with a special spelling because my teen parents couldn't initially agree on what to name me. My mom wanted "Moon" and my dad wanted his ex-girlfriend's name and they compromised by going with a version of dad's ex's name but my mom got to choose the spelling.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Dad's lucky he got a place to sleep after that little maneuver

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
So is Name of the Year not a thing anymore?

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Lady Disdain posted:

Names I've only ever seen on people over 60 or under 6:

Betty (short for Elizabeth, which doesn't fall into this category)
Winston
Malory
Beverly
Susie
Ned
Olive
Barnaby
Rudyard
Otto (strictly in Anglophone countries; definitely more common elsewhere)
Otis
Berenice
Margaret
Shirley
Dougal (possibly more popular in other Anglophone countries)
Mary
Opal
Pearl
Henrietta

Ha, my name's on this list and I'm mid 30s. Don't know a lot of other people with it though. I also grew up with three Margarets who all went by Maggie, and I have two coworkers around my age or a bit younger who are Margarets going by Maggie.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
The two Margarets under 6 that I know are both Maggies.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Cross posting from the weird Wikipedia face thread in GBS:

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I found out today that one of the members of my team is a Jlah. Pronounced 'Jay-luh'.

Also less the name itself than the circumstances; yesterday I had a contact from a customer named Cecelia who was unable to use text alerts because she's blind. Cecelia is the feminine form of 'Cecil', which actually means 'blind'.

Leocadia
Dec 26, 2011
I just processed a work application for a man named Ryno Welding. I thought he was business untill I saw his drivers licence.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
Aag

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Wendy Kite

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Names come in cycles like that. A generation actively avoids the names old people had when they were growing up, so their kids never hear them and don't have any negative associations.

Reminds me of how Louis has come back into fashion over here, despite being an old people name when I was younger.

Phy posted:

Today I learned that Dutch has Jeffs

I actually knew a few Jefs growing up, but for the most part Pope is probably correct that it's a name for either the very old or the very young

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 16:38 on Mar 29, 2022

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Spotted in Avignon, France:

e: I was gonna try it but then I saw a Vietnamese restaurant, so sorry to this House of Poop.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I found out recently a friend's legal name is just "S".

Weird parents, not a clerical mistake.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I'm transcribing bits of the 1950 US Census for one of the various websites indexing it.

Shirley Temple [surname] has popped up in Texas. She is a young teen, so definitely named after the actress.

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Recently encountered a 5 year old kid named Pepper and usually goes by Pep. Can't say I hate it but definitely unusual.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Well, there's Pep Guardiola, I assume it's a Catalan name.

Harvey TWH
Sep 6, 2005

Want some peanuts?

Aphrodite posted:

Big fans of Harry Truman?

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
scholastica
spiro
velverlon
siblings shedmarion, shedtina
shiny

minnie piggee
ellen kellen
last name hell

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

DemonDarkhorse posted:

siblings shedmarion, shedtina

These are just evolutions.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

I was just looking through a book of baby names recently and saw this one.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Aphrodite posted:

Can you introduce me to the reincarnation of Harry Truman?

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Aww, it sounds like a book fair-themed Elastica cover band :/

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

Well, there's Pep Guardiola, I assume it's a Catalan name.

Yup, short for Josep IIRC. I have a coworker named Pep who has no pep at all!

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Saffronia.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Can you introduce me to the reincarnation of Harry Truman?

I thought President Grant did it first.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Marc de Cock

Candela Poó

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I have fairly close relatives with this exact surname. It's basically the Dutch/Flemish equivalent of Cook. I must say that I have occasionally wondered if it ever gets awkward for them when they visit Anglo countries or interact with Anglo people.

A bit like Joke, which is a reasonably common and normal Flemish name (pronounced using two distinct syllables, -ke being a diminutive suffix commonly used in Flanders although not so much the Netherlands) that becomes rather unfortunate when English pronunciation rules are applied to it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Just worked with someone with the name :

J. Pepper Hornbuckle

It was a remote session with no camera, but I can only imagine they were in a white sear-sucker suit, slowly sipping on a mint julep the entire time.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

I have fairly close relatives with this exact surname. It's basically the Dutch/Flemish equivalent of Cook. I must say that I have occasionally wondered if it ever gets awkward for them when they visit Anglo countries or interact with Anglo people.

I had a colleague with this surname, and he had a brother named Dick (not an uncommon name in the Netherlands and to a lesser extent Flanders, for men born in the '50s and '60s). So yeah. Dick De Cock.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Sworn enemy of Dick Van Dyke.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Euletia Beagle

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
There's a girl in my baby daughter's class at daycare named Mabel, to continue the cyclical name discussion from a few months ago.

I think we should go all the way and bring back those puritan names that were just phrases. Gonna name my next kid Fly-fornication.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Bring back names like If-Christ-had-not-died-for-thee-thou-hadst-been-damned imo

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

venus de lmao posted:

Bring back names like If-Christ-had-not-died-for-thee-thou-hadst-been-damned imo

If you look up the actual meanings of many common names they have these kind of meanings in ancient Greek, Hebrew, Germanic or similar old dead languages or dialects. Like Alexander meaning "defender of man", Alfred being "elf council" or "bright council" and Michael being the rethorical question "who is like God?".

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

A couple, Richard and Candi Grabber

Some parents are just mean spirited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

venus de lmao posted:

I actually talk about that guy all the time! (I work in insurance.)