Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

EvenFlou posted:

I still haven't seen Drive My Car, looks good. But what about Dune?

dune deserves every nomination it got in the technical categories and maybe director. not in my top 10 of 2021 by a long shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

So people are just assuming Power of the Dogis going to win because it feels like it's going to, right? Cause that movie has nothing going for it. I've not seen such an uninteresting look at masculinity before, and I hope to not again.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Nah it’s because power of the dog is a solid film. There’s some interesting themes presented by some top notch performances (Cumberbatch, Dunst, Plemons, and that kid), some beautiful camera work, and another great Greenwood score.

Here’s 5 minutes of Martin Scorsese talking about the dog

https://deadline.com/2022/03/martin-scorsese-jane-campion-lady-gaga-power-of-the-dog-nyfcc-new-york-film-critics-1234981299/

But it does seem like it has some competition with Coda now and could go either way.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Power of Dog literally has a gay man dying of a blood-transmitted disease after having a gay experience with a man pretending to be gay. Its treatment of gayness is weird and to me… kinda toxic? I think it swims in enough ambiguity to avoid accusations of this nature. But it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Vegetable posted:

Power of Dog literally has a gay man dying of a blood-transmitted disease after having a gay experience with a man pretending to be gay. Its treatment of gayness is weird and to me… kinda toxic? I think it swims in enough ambiguity to avoid accusations of this nature. But it left a bad taste in my mouth.

I was actually gonna defend the film for a second but, to paraphrase the last words his brother says "I don't understand he was always careful to avoid diseased ones" I'm not gay so I'm not gonna speak for em, but I think this films going to be seen very different in the future

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

just give dunc all the award

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I think it will hold up quite well. There’s universal themes of repression and ideals of strength.
But will see if it even wins.

I just watched Pig. How did this not get any noms.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

it's too good a movie to be cage's redemption award. same thing happened with uncut gems

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Gaius Marius posted:

So people are just assuming Power of the Dogis going to win because it feels like it's going to, right? Cause that movie has nothing going for it. I've not seen such an uninteresting look at masculinity before, and I hope to not again.

I'm still assuming Belfast is going to win.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I used to think it was Belfast, but the discourse recently seems to have switched to Coda. The cast literally got invited to the White House like they won the Super Bowl.

https://twitter.com/FLOTUS/status/1507168648846323720

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Ahh, so Coda has what they call "momentum".

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

woof

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Finally managed to round out the Best Picture noms. My ranking would be:

1. Power of the Dog
2. Drive My Car
3. Don’t Look Up
4. King Richard
5. West Side Story
6. Dune
7. Belfast
8. CODA
9. Licorice Pizza
10. Nightmare Alley

Maybe it’s because half of this list is bordering on 3 hours long but this was the most boring slate in a long time.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Best Picture: Dune.

Anyway who else is watching the Red Carpet?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

1. Nightmare Alley
2. Drive My Car
3. King Richard
4. Dune
5. Belfast
6. CODA
7. West Side Story
8. Power of the Dog
9. Licorice Pizza
10. Don't Look Up

Tbh I didn't really feel strongly about any of these. Like Nightmare Alley and Drive My Car are still only like 7/10 to me. Definitely one of the weaker BP lineups in recent memory.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
based on how funny it would be I hope Don't Look Up wins, followed by Dune

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Best picture thoughts:

I'd be most upset about Don't Look Up winning, I'd be happiest about Dune winning. I still say the smart money is on Belfast. CODA, Nightmare Alley, and West Side Story are trash. The rest are good, actually. Biggest shocker would be Dune or Drive My Car winning.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

As someone who really didn’t care for Dune going in I came out feeling like it was the best film of the year. And I’ve seen I think every of the nominee except King Richard and Coda.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Power of the Dog is probably still my pick for best picture. Love West Side story, but unlikely that remake of a best picture winner would also win. Drive my car is good, but probably too long and moody to win. Dune is solid, but will probably follow lord of the rings and pick up prizes for the final film. King Richard was alright, but beyond the Will Smith acting feels kind of weaker than the rest.

I’m kind of neutral on nightmare alley still, but the directors guild of America has a podcast episode with GDT talking about the film for 40 minutes. He always really gets into talking about any film, so it did make me see nightmare in a bit of a new light.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Assuming Coda wins (my pick FWIW), wouldn't it be odd that Apple of all companies would claim the top prize in American entertainment and on their first major attempt at that?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Island Nation posted:

Assuming Coda wins (my pick FWIW), wouldn't it be odd that Apple of all companies would claim the top prize in American entertainment and on their first major attempt at that?

Apple TV+ was easily the worst streaming service in its early days but it’s been swinging for the fences. Severance, Dickinson, Wolfwalkers, even Calls was a pleasant surprise.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Of the ones I've seen I'd rank it

1.Drive My Car
2.Licorice Pizza
3.Power of The Dog

I'm really rooting for Drive My Car, it's the only one I've seen that felt emotionally moving. Licorice Pizza was great, I saw it a double digit number of times in theaters, but if PTA wins for that it wouldn't feel right. It's pretty slight compared to most of his oeuvre. Power of The Dog was awful, I felt so aware that I was in a theater the entire time, Dunst was totally wasted on such an amateur portrayal of alcoholism. Plemons barely existed for most the film, and the kid seemed confused if he was portraying a Nerdy Student, Norman Bates, or an Area 51 escapee. Cumberbatch was the best probably but the role he was playing was poorly conceived.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I'm all in for licorice pizza. the dude who made all the resident evil movies deserves an Oscar because it will make the blue bloods lose their minds

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think the big problem with Power of the Dog is that the dogs in Elden Ring are just so much better.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Having seen them all my rankings are:

1. Drive My Car
2. The Power of the Dog
3. Licorice Pizza
4. Dune
5. West Side Story
6. Nightmare Alley
7. King Richard
8. Belfast
9. CODA
10. Don't Look Up

To be honest I'd rather Don't Look Up win over King Richard, Belfast, or CODA. To me, those are the boring picks whereas Don't Look Up would be such a dumb pick for best picture that if nothing else I would appreciate the chaos energy behind it.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Y’all just gotta learn to see the dog. But we can’t all be Bronco Henry.

Interesting how diverse the opinions are in here. Guess there is not a clear winner like in some year past.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Im eating a meal and picking up food for my aunt. Heres my predicts though. Not favorites though.

Cant wait to discuss the hilarity that is the oscars again with you CineD.

Picture: power of the dog

Actor: benedict cumberbatch

Actress: kirsten stewart

Song: lin manuel

Animated feature: encanto

Director: Jane campion

Score: Dune

Support. Actress: ariana dubose

Support. Actor: Kodi smit-mcphee

International: Drive My Car

Documentary: summer of soul

Original screenplay: worst person

Adapted screenplay: power of the dog

SFX: Spiderman

Cinematography: macbeth

Costume: cruella

Editing: dune

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Vegetable posted:

The Oscars are dumb but people are also, like, dumb about it. Most people just complain about movies they haven’t seen getting nominated over movies they did see. Kinda silly.

I've seen every best picture nom and The Green Knight, The Last Duel and Pig are all better than at least seven of the nominees :colbert:

They were right to snub The French Dispatch though, it felt like Wes Anderson's Crank 2

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

checkplease posted:

Y’all just gotta learn to see the dog. But we can’t all be Bronco Henry.

Interesting how diverse the opinions are in here. Guess there is not a clear winner like in some year past.

I think we all at least agree that Don't Look Up shouldn't win Best Picture.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

They're giving out awards right now, so be careful out there if you don't want to be spoiled.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I didn't hate it but its definitely the worst film on that list

This year feels weird because I didn't love any of the nominees but at the same time none are as self-evidently terrible as Green Book or Bohemian Rhapsody

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Agreed there. I keep forgetting that it was nominated. I don’t hate the film, but there’s lots better to nominate over it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hold up, they nominated Bohemian Rhapsody last year? loving lol

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Still can’t believe Best Score didn’t make the live show. Adding music is an easy way to bring some energy to the show.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Dune is winning the pre-show awards.

[]

“Dune” is cleaning up in the pre-show categories, following up its best sound Oscar with victories in the original score, film editing and production design races.

[/]

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Heck it even won best editing!

Though back when it did I saw a good series of tweets by a professional editor who had the take that it won best editing because the production was such a mess that you had to be a talented editor to cut it into something coherent.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

checkplease posted:

Agreed there. I keep forgetting that it was nominated. I don’t hate the film, but there’s lots better to nominate over it

I don't hate it at all either! I just really really don't want it to win Best Picture.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Zero One posted:

Dune is winning the pre-show awards.

[]

“Dune” is cleaning up in the pre-show categories, following up its best sound Oscar with victories in the original score, film editing and production design races.

[/]

Good.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

It was 3 years ago (time has no meaning anymore) but it was indeed a loving lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
This whole "present awards before the broadcast" thing sucks even worse than I thought it would. Great work, Acadmey!