Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don’t buy it because it doesn’t sound remotely legal at all. It should have asked for you to authorize starting the trial.

Man you should read about Spotify. It's less quasi legal and more and more just a hate crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is there such a thing as a good CarPlay wireless adapter? I bought a new car with CarPlay and… I rather not have to deal with connecting the phone every time? Some light googling and most of what I see ranges from mixed to unreliable.
I have been using cplay2air for two years now and it's pretty good, I haven't touched it or connected my phone with a cable since I bought it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rusty posted:

I have been using cplay2air for two years now and it's pretty good, I haven't touched it or connected my phone with a cable since I bought it.

Looks good and from some googling looks like it works with the EV6 just fine. How’s the delay (connecting, audio, and disconnecting) on it? Apparently that’s the main drawback from wireless CarPlay?

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Man you should read about Spotify. It's less quasi legal and more and more just a hate crime.

Spotify doesn't make operating systems though, so there is a way to avoid them unlike Apple Music. (Disclaimer: I subscribe to Apple Music, so the harassment worked on me :v: )

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Honj Steak posted:

Spotify doesn't make operating systems though, so there is a way to avoid them unlike Apple Music. (Disclaimer: I subscribe to Apple Music, so the harassment worked on me :v: )

I like Apple Music, in theory.

I thought Google music was a good deal and the users got robbed. ish

I just carry my music around like one of those dinosaurs that is also a turtle. Why I won't buy an iPhone Pro Max with less than 256 gigs.

Seems stupid and wasteful but man, that's my daily driver. My car is old. :feelsgood:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Apple Music isn't great but as long as you listen to one new album a month you're saving money over buying the entire album up front. If you pick and choose a handful of songs from several different artists in a month the gap gets bigger.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Apple Music is so good it converted me to accepting streaming (+records, it's the best combo) into my life. I genuinely love it, and I don't really dig into the radios or new music drops or whatever even. The new music for me playlist though is honestly always pretty spot on, and I have a fairly weird blend of taste.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i basically use apple music the same way i did itunes when i was downloading everything from soulseek, except now i mostly don't have to download stuff. i like being able to edit metadata to organize everything exactly how i like it, and upload the normally unstreamable stuff and have it show up in my library with everything else. i also use an app called "marvis" on my phone that is a front end for the stock music app, and offers way more customization and sorting options. it's a way better experience than building a library on spotify

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
I am in a situation in which I need to preserve a text message history from an iPhone keeping as much metadata intact as possible (legal DV evidence). What I would like is a way to get a local copy of whatever raw file Apple uses to store messages via iCloud (txt/csv would be awesome but I imagine it's something proprietary and encrypted). I need to then be able to store it somewhere else and access its contents without providing credentials. Eventually, I would like to get the file contents into a platform-independent format, like a CSV. The owner of the account containing the messages does not have a Mac and can't backup to iTunes/Apple Music, which seems to be the official way. I see there are premium third-party apps that advertise tools to do something like this, but I don't know how they handle the local data (Is it tied to their product? Is it stored in a proprietary format?).

I do have a MacBook and I guess one option would be to get the account owner's credentials and sign in to iCloud on my machine to sync the messages, but that's pretty messy and I don't really want to have insight into or responsibility for their account. Were I to do this, though, what would be required to locate the backup file, decrypt it, and export its contents?

I know this is a bit of an unusual request, but I imagine the circumstances (unfortunately) aren't unique. Has anyone else done this, or have knowledge of how to do it?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Looks good and from some googling looks like it works with the EV6 just fine. How’s the delay (connecting, audio, and disconnecting) on it? Apparently that’s the main drawback from wireless CarPlay?
So when I start the car it adds about 20 seconds to the carplay launch. The delay from pressing a button like next track is about a half a second. There sometimes will be bandwidth issues with Waze where images will not load completely, but other than that it works pretty much flawlessly. Not sure what you mean about connecting audio, but I use Apple Music and Pandora fine on it.

When I initially looked at it, I thought all the reviews were fake or something, so many people 5 star it, but it is well worth the money, it works great.

Edit: And to clarify, I am not even sure it is a bandwidth issue, it may be just Waze for some reason. Apple Maps and good maps work fine.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 26, 2022

Anti Plum
Sep 15, 2007

BrianRx posted:

I am in a situation in which I need to preserve a text message history from an iPhone keeping as much metadata intact as possible (legal DV evidence). What I would like is a way to get a local copy of whatever raw file Apple uses to store messages via iCloud (txt/csv would be awesome but I imagine it's something proprietary and encrypted). I need to then be able to store it somewhere else and access its contents without providing credentials. Eventually, I would like to get the file contents into a platform-independent format, like a CSV. The owner of the account containing the messages does not have a Mac and can't backup to iTunes/Apple Music, which seems to be the official way. I see there are premium third-party apps that advertise tools to do something like this, but I don't know how they handle the local data (Is it tied to their product? Is it stored in a proprietary format?).

I do have a MacBook and I guess one option would be to get the account owner's credentials and sign in to iCloud on my machine to sync the messages, but that's pretty messy and I don't really want to have insight into or responsibility for their account. Were I to do this, though, what would be required to locate the backup file, decrypt it, and export its contents?

I know this is a bit of an unusual request, but I imagine the circumstances (unfortunately) aren't unique. Has anyone else done this, or have knowledge of how to do it?

Backup with iTunes on windows? Dunno sounds like you’re asking a lot tbh.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Given the nature of the issue I would highly suggest consulting a professional and not goons.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Jose Oquendo posted:

Given the nature of the issue I would highly suggest consulting a professional and not goons.

Yeah I mean props for being open and asking to see if you will get advice, not sure how you are connected to this event, but overall the situation sounds out of scope for here. More into paid legal forensic expert territory would be my guess.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah preservation of evidence is pretty far out of our wheelhouse.

There's 100% a way to do it but again like everyone said a professional would need to do it so it's done correctly.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Inner Light posted:

Yeah I mean props for being open and asking to see if you will get advice, not sure how you are connected to this event, but overall the situation sounds out of scope for here. More into paid legal forensic expert territory would be my guess.

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah preservation of evidence is pretty far out of our wheelhouse.

There's 100% a way to do it but again like everyone said a professional would need to do it so it's done correctly.

Yeah, fair enough. Thanks. That's coming but I wasn't sure how big an ask it is to do myself. I was hoping to preserve whatever possible now while everything else moves forward. I work in a technical field and have some experience with cyber security but I've never owned an iPhone and only started using a MacBook this year. I recall how big a deal Apple's encryption was with the San Bernardino mass shooters but hoped it might be doable with the consent of the account owner.

Anyway, thanks again. Heavy poo poo over, back to phonechat.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

One thing you could do is make an encrypted backup in iTunes and have the account owner give you the password to it so that you have a solid backup now.

In theory that should work.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Yeah you really shouldn’t listen to a bunch of random internet posters on a dead comedy forum re: preserving evidence for court. Would suck if you nuked through bad instructions or malice.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Oh for sure. I maybe wasn't clear. Even if I knew exactly how to do what I want, it'd still be better to have it done by an expert third party. I'm not trying to collect evidence for court (though I see how you could conclude that from my post), I'm just trying to get copies of important things to guard against accidental or intentional destruction.

The answer is iTunes, I just didn't think the Windows client supported it because Apple's gonna Apple. The backup is stored in a proprietary but accessible file that can be read by third party tools. The tools typically can also export the contents in a bunch of different formats. Bing bang done.

I do appreciate the warnings about taking advice from internet strangers. I was looking more for a link to an app or documentation or some other kind of resource rather than step-by-step instructions, though, and probably wouldn't have put the phone in the microwave or something just because someone suggested it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I just ran 3uTools on Windows and I could view message threads in an unencrypted backup.

There is export to PDF, which honestly seems better to me for court purposes than a random CSV.
Looks like images aren't present within the PDF though. The timestamps of those messages appear with no text.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

~Coxy posted:

I just ran 3uTools on Windows and I could view message threads in an unencrypted backup.

There is export to PDF, which honestly seems better to me for court purposes than a random CSV.
Looks like images aren't present within the PDF though. The timestamps of those messages appear with no text.

You probably want it in CSV, to be honest - it’ll make it much easier to sort out relevant from non-relevant texts and the other side may well request it in this form.

Also consider moving this to the Legal Questions thread.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3266659

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

~Coxy posted:

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for. You're probably right about PDFs. I work with data and so my default is to ask for a CSV because of its flexibility, but I probably don't need more than text and timestamps.

Kalman posted:

Also consider moving this to the Legal Questions thread.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3266659

And thank you, I did not know that that thread existed.

BrianRx fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 26, 2022

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Rusty posted:

So when I start the car it adds about 20 seconds to the carplay launch. The delay from pressing a button like next track is about a half a second. There sometimes will be bandwidth issues with Waze where images will not load completely, but other than that it works pretty much flawlessly. Not sure what you mean about connecting audio, but I use Apple Music and Pandora fine on it.

When I initially looked at it, I thought all the reviews were fake or something, so many people 5 star it, but it is well worth the money, it works great.

This isn't too far off the genuine wireless CarPlay experience, minus the bandwidth issues.

My biggest complaint is my particular head unit needs you to loving hit OK on the nanny message on boot up or it won't launch Apple CarPlay automatically. The nanny message is about using the built in web browser functionality/YouTube which is completely outside of the Apple CarPlay interface and is on the native UI for the head unit.

gently caress you pioneer you used to be good.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wireless CarPlay is stable and speedy on my Alpine. :iiam:

Sometimes the Bluetooth gets a little fussy when my wife drives the car and it connects to her phone, I have to manually tell it to use my phone and it'd be nice if it was automatic. But once I'm connected.. never had an issue.

I'd say it's even better than the wired CarPlay in her Subaru but that's probably just because Subaru cheaped out on the touch screen.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Overcast got a UI update and ugh.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think it will just taking getting used to. It surprised me when I saw it but I am starting to like it.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Boris Galerkin posted:

I've had Comedy Bang Bang running on it since last night and haven't noticed a difference.

I miss out on UI details on my phone but make a huge fit about it when it's desktop/work adjacent.

It just works?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is fine.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I'm not necessarily opposed to UI refreshes but this is the type of thing I wish you had the option to rollback.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Those are certainly some choices for that UI. Hopefully the next episode of Under the Radar goes into it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Now that the initial shock is over I can articulate what was ugh about it and it’s the strip of album art (“Recent”) that takes up like 40% of the screen. Anyway to turn that poo poo off?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

gently caress it’s awful and I hate it.

I have a couple of podcasts that I’m not subscribed to but I check in every now and then to see if there’s an episode I’d want to download and now they’re all hidden behind another button instead of just in one conveniently scrolling list.

Unlistened new episodes sectioned off at the top and everything else below in one list was the perfect UI, who asked for this?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I’m pretty sure the developer wrote a long masturbatory blog post about how he created the app for a target audience of himself and that we’re merely along for the ride.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Edit2: oh, yeah this actually works great for me as it keeps poo poo I care about right there and stuff I like to keep tabs on but are like my random listens separate. Though I only listen to like 2 podcasts regularly — not a heavy user at all.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Mar 26, 2022

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I literally only look at my “All Episodes” list or the new playing screen, so effectively nothing has changed there. I listen to too many podcasts as is and I can’t fathom needing complex playlists and sorting and not-quite-subscribed feeds and stuff.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Boris Galerkin posted:

Now that the initial shock is over I can articulate what was ugh about it and it’s the strip of album art (“Recent”) that takes up like 40% of the screen. Anyway to turn that poo poo off?

Yes. Add playlist button > Hide recent episodes

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
The interface isn’t abysmal, but it’s now super laggy to navigate, which hopefully is not some unavoidable consequence of the refactor and will be fixed soon.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Speaking of laggy UIs, the Roomba app updated a month ago and it’s an unresponsive piece of poo poo. Ugh.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I like the playlist updates and other features but so far have run into two pretty annoying bugs.

One is that there is a specific podcast that I can't delete. I delete it and it disappears for a moment and then repopulates in the app.

More frustrating, when I was deleting another podcast after I'd spend some time messing with the playlists, the entire interface kind of blinked and then I lost all my changes to all the playlists. So far that hasn't reproduced.

I also can't figure out how to remove an episode from a playlist without removing it entirely. Which is annoying when I just want to use the fancy new playlist functionality to split up playlists a bit more. But that's minor.

E: actually worked out a reproducible bug which is that there is a certain podcast that when I try to delete it, it does not delete but reappears and resets all changes to playlists that I made since the last time I tried to delete that podcast. Very weird.

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 26, 2022

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m pretty sure the developer wrote a long masturbatory blog post about how he created the app for a target audience of himself and that we’re merely along for the ride.

That sounds like him. He is one of the most up-his-own-rear end people I’ve ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I went to Best Buy to pick up Beats Fit Pro and had a surprise when I opened the box:

It's been a while I bought anything in person so it was a crap experience. Best Buy was really good and immediately refunded me my money and gave me a pair for free which was unexpected. I knew something was up because it looked badly shrink wrapped and there were no apple seals to pull off. Also, none of them are shrink wrapped so it was weird that I got the bad one out of the locked cabinet from the employee.

Oh well, poo poo happens and good on Best Buy for hooking me up. I'm charging them up now to go for my first run. Thanks for the recommendations.