Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Xander77 posted:

A SNES game, I think. The description makes it sound a bit like Dungeon Keeper, but it doesn't appear on any lists of "games similar to DK".

You're an evil lord, and your castle is under attack by a bunch of different races. You place various monsters to battle them - on the river banks, castle walls, castle proper, until they fight their way to your throne room where you have to confront them. Or you could order your flying chariot to any threatened area, where your evil lord (dark horned helmet, mace) could help your forces out. The perspective - not necessarily the graphical style, just perspective - was a bit like Ultima 7 (I'm sure there's a proper name for it). Some of the enemy forces were vaguely buddhist monks and bat-monsters that shot sonic projectiles?

It's not a SNES game but is it Dominus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Zathril posted:

It's not a SNES game but is it Dominus?
Yup. Thanks.

Huh. I was quite confident we played it on a tv screen. Weird.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Game released I think not long after Legend of Grimrock, in the same style (grid dungeon crawler, nice 3d graphics), but it was either steampunk or a spaceship. May be two separate games (I'd welcome both titles if so). What is it?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Pierzak posted:

Game released I think not long after Legend of Grimrock, in the same style (grid dungeon crawler, nice 3d graphics), but it was either steampunk or a spaceship. May be two separate games (I'd welcome both titles if so). What is it?
Vaporum and/or StarCrawlers

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Vaporum does NOT let you jump into a pit to go to the floor below. It's just spikes.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

The Joe Man posted:

Vaporum and/or StarCrawlers

I think these two were it, Vaporum was definitely one of the ones I was originally thinking of. Thanks!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Late 90's game, probably on PC but I played it on PlayStation, you walked about a space station, it was quite menu heavy, when the other characters spoke to you you'd see speech bubbles pop up, everything had a red hue too it, anyone have any idea what i'm talking about?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Not sure about the red hue, but could be Sentient (1997)?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Perfect, thats the one, thank you!

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
lmao at those graphics

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I watched an LP of that game and it's...really special.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

it's one of those games that's really interesting for what its attempting to do but pretty miserable to play

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

CYBEReris posted:

it's one of those games that's really interesting for what its attempting to do but pretty miserable to play

In other words, perfect for a Let's Play?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Pierzak posted:

In other words, perfect for a Let's Play?

SuperGreatFriend did it. He is exceptionally good at playing things that would be a total slog and making them entertaining to watch.

Bertilak
Oct 31, 2010

Man, I was just struck by some vague memories of a game, but only brief flashes and it is driving me nuts. I was hoping someone could help me remember. It was, I think, an adventure game or perhaps a rpg for the computer from either the late 90s or early aughts.
You were a guy tasked with killing some evil dudes that were corrupted heroes or something? I remember one was an insect dude and I think one was a gorgon. I remember you kill one of them by opening a portal into space and they get sucked through. I also remember the end of the game involves some kind of machine the hero uses to become super smart so he can destroy whatever device the main villain was using.
I just can't remember any further details. Any help would be appreciated!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

What did it look like? i.e. first person, top down, isometric?

Bertilak
Oct 31, 2010

It was definitely third person, and I think it had that sort of angle a lot of adventure games do, where you sort of see the sides of characters, but sort of at an angle.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bertilak posted:

Man, I was just struck by some vague memories of a game, but only brief flashes and it is driving me nuts. I was hoping someone could help me remember. It was, I think, an adventure game or perhaps a rpg for the computer from either the late 90s or early aughts.
You were a guy tasked with killing some evil dudes that were corrupted heroes or something? I remember one was an insect dude and I think one was a gorgon. I remember you kill one of them by opening a portal into space and they get sucked through. I also remember the end of the game involves some kind of machine the hero uses to become super smart so he can destroy whatever device the main villain was using.
I just can't remember any further details. Any help would be appreciated!

Fable (1996)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Looking for a turn-based front-level WW2 strategy game with a specific focus on managing to survive and/or accomplish objectives despite Stalin's/Hitler's paranoia and constantly changing plans.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Pierzak posted:

Looking for a turn-based front-level WW2 strategy game with a specific focus on managing to survive and/or accomplish objectives despite Stalin's/Hitler's paranoia and constantly changing plans.

Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa?

Bertilak
Oct 31, 2010

al-azad posted:

Fable (1996)

Thanks! That was driving me nuts!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Hannibal Rex posted:

Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa?

Most likely, certainly looks like it. Thanks.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Ok, let's see if anyone can get this one.

It's been driving me insane for a few years now.

It's a NES game, RPG, I think it was first person and I recall the default character name being indigo. That always stuck with me. It was a Final Fantasy type RPG, more D&D kind of thing.

4 people in your party too, their details was separated into a bar at the bottom of the screen from left to right, big grey thing showing if each member was still alive etc.

It may have had some kind of maze like dungeon crawling aspect to it. I just remember having it when I got my first console at like 6 years old, I remember all of my games perfectly except this one and it's bugged me forever that I couldn't "git good" at it.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Probably Swords and Serpents.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Swords & Serpents has "Iago" as a main character name

Or it's one of the others on this list

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
It has to be that, it does look very familiar after checking out a let's play on YouTube. I have several vivid memories of indigo being a name used though. Maybe that was just the European version or something.

It's amazing to think that my first RPG game was developed by one of my favourite firms and designers without ever knowing it. I'm a huge fan of Brian Fargo and Interplay.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Sorry for being vague as poo poo, but it's an NES game, the only screen I remember was a window showing a cool 8 bit planet and another window beside it showing some data about it. I remember the vibe being that was the main gameplay, almost like a 4X. Honestly I'm not even sure if this happened, I might have dreamt this, but I also remember playing Bionic Commando for the first time on the same system so it was definitely nes

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I was gonna suggest Starflight but I'm pretty sure I'm thinking of its Genesis port

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Danaru posted:

Sorry for being vague as poo poo, but it's an NES game, the only screen I remember was a window showing a cool 8 bit planet and another window beside it showing some data about it. I remember the vibe being that was the main gameplay, almost like a 4X. Honestly I'm not even sure if this happened, I might have dreamt this, but I also remember playing Bionic Commando for the first time on the same system so it was definitely nes

Could it have been Overlord?

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
I have vague memories of seeing screenshots of an NES action adventure game in Nintendo Power where the player character sprite looked a lot like the main character sprite from Dragon Warrior. As the character got more and more items or weapons or armor, they would be listed on the corner of the screen.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

JackBandit posted:

I have vague memories of seeing screenshots of an NES action adventure game in Nintendo Power where the player character sprite looked a lot like the main character sprite from Dragon Warrior. As the character got more and more items or weapons or armor, they would be listed on the corner of the screen.

Ironsword, maybe?

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Hwurmp posted:

Ironsword, maybe?

Yeah, any of the three games in the Wizards & Warriors trilogy fit this description pretty well.

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

Cidrick posted:

Yeah, any of the three games in the Wizards & Warriors trilogy fit this description pretty well.

Hmm this looks familiar but I very specifically remember the character being a square sprite, like the dragon warrior sprite. I could have been mixing up a few games though.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

You may be getting Wizards & Warriors mixed together with the player sprite from Deadly Towers.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You might also be thinking of Legacy of the Wizard? It doesn't display equipment the way you describe, but it does show your current equipped item.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

CYBEReris posted:

I was gonna suggest Starflight but I'm pretty sure I'm thinking of its Genesis port

This what immediately popped into my head, but looks like there was no NES version

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Danaru posted:

Potentially Star Voyager?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

There's an indie game that came out within the last year, or isn't out yet. It's about weird perspective or something. The field of view is maybe circular. I think it's a puzzle game. I can't remember the name or the name of this effect.

It is not MC Escher inspired as far as I remember. It is not Superluminal.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Hyperbolica?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Heran Bago posted:

There's an indie game that came out within the last year, or isn't out yet. It's about weird perspective or something. The field of view is maybe circular. I think it's a puzzle game. I can't remember the name or the name of this effect.

It is not MC Escher inspired as far as I remember. It is not Superluminal.

Hyperbolica? Looks like it came out last month.