Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Gort posted:

You can't post like this without posting the images, it's just not cricket

Hell yeah

The good poo poo

https://youtu.be/HyU_1-Py0dA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

giants and trolls Hell yeah

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Empire vs. Orcs is a funner and cooler time than vampire poo poo

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

jokes posted:

Empire vs. Orcs is a funner and cooler time than vampire poo poo

The only match ups that are more reversed for me in terms of enjoying the dynamic than Vamp v Empire as opposed to being on the other side of it, is playing as early game Ikit vs against him. I loooove swarming down Empire as Vamps, it is so satisfying and feels like a good necromancer simulator kind of game almost. Putting down Vamps as Empire early game on the other hand is often a loving nightmare. And so it is with Ikit. Ask not for whom the ratling gunner brrrs, for it goes brrrs for thee.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
How the gently caress can these cannons not fire? They didn't fire a single shot that entire battle despite them being on a perfect bit of terrain to fire from. They were elevated and looking out onto a flat open plain and didn't fire once. Those Crane Gunners in front fired constantly every time something was in range despite having a worse arc of fire and other infantry right in front of them. This bug is new right? This poo poo didn't happen in WH2.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Funky See Funky Do posted:

How the gently caress can these cannons not fire? They didn't fire a single shot that entire battle despite them being on a perfect bit of terrain to fire from. They were elevated and looking out onto a flat open plain and didn't fire once. Those Crane Gunners in front fired constantly every time something was in range despite having a worse arc of fire and other infantry right in front of them. This bug is new right? This poo poo didn't happen in WH2.

Can’t answer the question as I haven’t played WH3 yet but…why do the cannons fire *over* the oxen pulling them?? Why don’t they have a limber/unlimber option like horse artillery did in Empire and Napoleon?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

Can’t answer the question as I haven’t played WH3 yet but…why do the cannons fire *over* the oxen pulling them?? Why don’t they have a limber/unlimber option like horse artillery did in Empire and Napoleon?
Just lol if you think the game would have such useful and sensible features from older games from the same franchise. We dont have grapeshot, the ability to toggle arrows to be flaming or not, so why would we be able to have artillery limber/unlimber?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Because then if the oxen were to get spooked by something like maybe a loud explosion or a giant demon or something like that then they won't run away from the battle they'll run towards it. It's just good design.

Also in the process of making this mod I'm working on I've found so many things that just don't work at all. There's a innate trait one of the caravan masters gets which doesn't do anything. Don't pick the clandestine one.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
What is the % of casualties that turn into prisoners, and how does it scale with various post battle options?

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Because then if the oxen were to get spooked by something like maybe a loud explosion or a giant demon or something like that then they won't run away from the battle they'll run towards it. It's just good design.

The oxen must also be incredibly deaf after like, day 1.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Kanos posted:

Some form of anti-player bias needs to exist because the player is orders of magnitude more intelligent and driven than the AI(there are mods that turn the bias off in TWW2 and it makes the game so comically easy it's hilarious), but there seems to be no sanity or priority checks on it. I remember back in TWW2 playing around with a "Teclis starts in the badlands" mod and had Malekith drop everything and sail across the ocean with a half stack to try to take Barak Varr.

Yeah I feel like there should be a middle ground for anti-player bias that doesn't include the AI dropping everything it is doing to send a army halfway across the world to besiege your weakest settlement, most often losing it's empire to a neighbor in the process because it's undefended.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Panfilo posted:

What is the % of casualties that turn into prisoners, and how does it scale with various post battle options?

No idea of the numbers, but post battle options are scaled against how many fleeing troops you run down during a battle/mop up.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
More artillery not firing. Once again prime position - not a single artillery piece fired all battle. What's happening is the animation to fire is playing, sort of, but nothing is coming out the end. The puffs of smoke there are the animation for the fire rain rockets playing but there's no deadly rain of rockets coming out the end. I can even begin to imagine what causes it or how to fix it.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Try validating your files? It sounds like something has gone wrong and I'm definitely firing/getting hit by cannons in the same positions you have them.

I'm not sorry to see limbering and unlimbering go. With how much faster the fights are and how many units that can close on a cannon much quicker (fliers, tough cavalry) you'd never get to use an artillery piece that had to deploy without either never moving your army or leaving it behind and risking its destruction.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The cannon aren't firing because they don't want to wake up all the sleeping soldiers

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Carcer posted:

Try validating your files? It sounds like something has gone wrong and I'm definitely firing/getting hit by cannons in the same positions you have them.

I'm not sorry to see limbering and unlimbering go. With how much faster the fights are and how many units that can close on a cannon much quicker (fliers, tough cavalry) you'd never get to use an artillery piece that had to deploy without either never moving your army or leaving it behind and risking its destruction.

They fire sometimes. Either they will fire as normal in a battle or not at all. It's probably about 50/50.

It's also not just me. If my cannons won't fire then the AIs cannons won't fire either.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

jokes posted:

Hell yeah

I've seen that one a hundred times and somehow it never connected that it was Franz lol.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

They fire sometimes. Either they will fire as normal in a battle or not at all. It's probably about 50/50.

It's also not just me. If my cannons won't fire then the AIs cannons won't fire either.

Sure, but validating your files might turn up that something got corrupted. I remember someone complained about this when the game just came out and I think it turned out to be some corrupted files.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The oxen must also be incredibly deaf after like, day 1.

To be fair this was also true of past artillery soldiers. And infantry soldiers of the gunpowder era, for that matter :v:

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Just lol if you think the game would have such useful and sensible features from older games from the same franchise. We dont have grapeshot, the ability to toggle arrows to be flaming or not, so why would we be able to have artillery limber/unlimber?

In their defence, there are already a ton of clickables to micro compared to old games due to spells and abilities. I can see a gameplay argument for the change. Plus tons more animations vs just five or six variants of Dude with Weapon shared by everyone. I'll take a hellpit over cannons unlimbering or handguns reloading even though I'd rather both.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Mar 26, 2022

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In their defence, there are already a ton of clickables to micro compared to old games due to spells and abilities. I can see a gameplay argument for the change. Plus tons more animations vs just five or six variants of Dude with Weapon shared by everyone. I'll take a hellpit over cannons unlimbering or handguns reloading even though I'd rather both.
Thats fair, to a degree. I can definitely see it for unlimbering. But for fire arrows or grapeshot? I'd rather have the button. Its already in the code, we just dont get to use it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Thats fair, to a degree. I can definitely see it for unlimbering. But for fire arrows or grapeshot? I'd rather have the button. Its already in the code, we just dont get to use it.
Fire arrows annoy me quite a bit to be honest (probably irrationally) and I am glad they are gone. I don't think they add anything to gameplay and also look silly.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

We already had this discussion on buttons in TWW1 so Brettonnia gets triangles

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Yeah spells and some other things have taken the place of abilities and such, that's fine.

The button I'd really like to see is something to tell a unit to repeatedly keep trying to do the same order, like telling your lord to target an enemy lord in a moshpit instead of repeatedly getting distracted and turning their back to the fucker that hits them for hundreds of damage.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The combat engine for Warhammer requires way too much spam clicking in general.

And it's not like AoE or Starcraft where "APM" implies doing lots of different actions quickly, it's "click 30 times to make sure your chariots don't pause in the moshpit."

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 26, 2022

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I dream nightly of the ability to disengage my cavalry with a single movement order. Not even when they're surrounded, just in general.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I do 30 clicks then a throw

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Yeah I feel like there should be a middle ground for anti-player bias that doesn't include the AI dropping everything it is doing to send a army halfway across the world to besiege your weakest settlement, most often losing it's empire to a neighbor in the process because it's undefended.

So what you are saying is that the AI needs to be buffed enough such that they can all constantly send stacks your way while also being able to defend and, perhaps, expand their own borders (if it's a major civ). Good thinking!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Kanos posted:

the player is orders of magnitude more intelligent and driven than the AI

Not in my games.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Foul Fowl posted:

i mean just imagine how much better this game would be if the campaign map was just a bunch of provinces, you could move one province a turn, that's it. no more whack a mole, guessing if the last 3% of your movement is enough to get you somewhere, etc. etc. it would cut out so much of the time wasted fiddling with movement and watching the AI with absolutely nothing of value lost.

They did that in Medieval Total war. It was a loving nightmare.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Josef bugman posted:

They did that in Medieval Total war. It was a loving nightmare.

Moving those chess pieces around made me want to die

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the old koei strategy games managed it just fine

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Jarvisi posted:

Moving those chess pieces around made me want to die

"want to move into this bit of France? Tough, gently caress you".

I have enjoyed this game about as much as I enjoyed the previous Warhammer Total Wars. I would still redo the last battle as it doesn't really work properly for me. But it's still fun doing things.

I did prefer Cathay to the Demons mark you, but it is all going well.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Bretonnian peasant shoots an arrow.

A different peasant shoots an arrow on fire.

“Holy poo poo how did you do that?”

“It’s a secret, sorry. Advanced stuff.”

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Arrows (for the lady)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
I'm fine with the way army movement works. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater by dumbing the the whole thing down. There's better ways of addressing things like whack a mole: passive movement buffs in friendly territory, support buildings that buff local movement, AI behavior that has a % chance to make suboptimal decisions or has their vision adjusted, etc.

I'd like to see more granular difficulty settings too. So you can different iterations of aggression, numbers, and strength.

With unit buttons, there are a few units that do have different modes-wardancers can swap between two stances (though the animations don't change). Generally instead of fire arrow mode you simply have an alternate variant with that property (Brettonia, wood elves). Though to that end I do wish you could upgrade existing units and simply pay the difference (upgrading a unit of Darkshards to the shielded version to preserve veterancy for instance).

Regarding AI focus on the player there just needs to be a trait that has the AI biased towards the player, other minor factions or other major factions.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

One thing I wish they would fix in the campaign is how an army will automatically start taking a 10 turn route around an entire continent to get to place they could get to in 2 or 3 turns by water.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The water is scary and full of WATER

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Twigand Berries posted:

considering how the lore describes bretonnian peasantry this may not be far off

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Twigand Berries posted:

Fire arrow archers are carefully selected from amongst the peasantry who do not stare at the fire, then look at the castle, then back at the fire again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I'm making good progress on my Legendary Skarbrand campaign. I got 3/4 souls and managed to cheese Tzeentch's realm with one of the guides. I think I got it in the fewest possible turns I could have, in fact, or close to it. Ku'gath was booted out of Tzeentch's realm early because of this. However, instead of allowing me to pull ahead, this was early enough that they could head back in and get another soul. Seems kind dumb! Luckily I think I could take him out if I needed to.