Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

ZekeNY posted:

I don't know what they pay the guy who makes these trailers, but it's not nearly enough. Hollywood ought to hire him away to do trailers for summer blockbusters.

They picked the wrong song though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKhi9ITkRgA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here
The AH-64 is fantastic. Visuals are gorgeous. Sounds are :chefskiss:. I love how they added some special shading on the rotor blades so you get “motion blur” even at lower settings.

You will have to tweak control sensitivity/curves; the defaults are very touchy. Also there is some confusion about whether the new-and-improved FLIR is working as intended or not.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Imo every helicopter in DCS should have like 15-20 curve on the X and Y axis as a given.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

CaptainEO posted:

You will have to tweak control sensitivity/curves; the defaults are very touchy.

Good, now everyone on Earth can say its flight model is broken and it’s a UFO because it’s not perfectly tuned for their saitek out the box.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I read that trees and buildings don’t block radar, and that as soon as you pop a helicopter from cover everything 3km away becomes instantly aware of you and starts shooting you. Is that true? Even if the Apache module is amazing, I’m not interested in playing it if the sandbox itself is completely broken.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Animal posted:

I read that trees and buildings don’t block radar, and that as soon as you pop a helicopter from cover everything 3km away becomes instantly aware of you and starts shooting you. Is that true? Even if the Apache module is amazing, I’m not interested in playing it if the sandbox itself is completely broken.

That's more true than not, yeah. Radar will spike you through buildings and trees, the enemy will visually or radar acquire you through trees, so sometimes it will arc AAA over treetops and land on top of you. It's safe to approach most AAA up to about 3-4km, depending on type. One of the ways that DCS makes this slightly less unfair is that a lot of enemy AI has a maximum range, but it won't be alert enough to notice you and fire at you at absolute max range until you take the first shot or make yourself obvious, like doing a flyby. Kind of a gamey way to simulate dudes sitting in a truck on shift for 4 hours bored as hell vs dudes actively in a fight.

You kind of get used to it, and it's harder in some aircraft than others. The Gazelle has a good FLIR and good RWR, but a max range of about 4.3km, so you're mostly picking ambush points very carefully so you can pop up enough to acquire tarets visually without getting killed by SAMs or the AAA you didn't notice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shvAF2WiT0k

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

its true, and easily fixable in .lua tweaking but LOL OOPS! ED locked all the files because of some nebulous "cheating" in PvP.

Halve range of non-AA weapons vs aircraft and problem is soft-fixed. The splash-damage issue was fixable this way too.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 18, 2022

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

It’s always so disappointing seeing other people play this game, because it’s clear that the level of detail is incredible if you have a system that can handle it. Those wear marks on the joystick, and the normal maps are just :discourse:. Meanwhile, I can’t even read button labels because the settings are so low, and the game is still chugging.

I mean, it wouldn’t change the fact that I’m dreadful at piloting, but at least I’d be able to watch my destroyed F-16 crash in to the ground in full 4K.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

I think you mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6tnj7IEI0E

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

the ventures version is way better

https://youtu.be/OCjBI3p8WEo

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Stringent posted:

the ventures version is way better

https://youtu.be/OCjBI3p8WEo

I prefer this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diHxEaqkop4

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Dumb mission editor question: I know how to spawn myself in the air, but how do I make the player start cold and dark at the airfield?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Kesper North posted:

Dumb mission editor question: I know how to spawn myself in the air, but how do I make the player start cold and dark at the airfield?

When you place your spawn, just adjust it in the initial waypoint.

instead of "turning point" as the first waypoint, drop select "parking from ramp" tai "parking from ground". Ramp is one of the numbered parking spots, ground is anywhere you drag it to.

Also come hither to discord, our practice maps are Apaches galore cold and hot.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
I have a weird bug happening that I haven't seen discussed anywhere. When playing the Cage the Bear F14 campaign, if I ever restart/"fly again", the roll trim is completely hosed to the point of being untrimmable and the plane unflyable. It's impossible to move the trim back far enough for it to center. I don't have trim bound to an axis, just the usual hat on my Warthog.
When I was rolling to one side like crazy when hands-off-stick I thought I had just broken something on takeoff, but I can clearly see on the F14's trim needles that they're completely off as soon as I spawn in. Years of simming has taught me not to manipulate any control surfaces while the game is loading, so it's definitely not that. I suspect this might be happening at other times but I don't have the time to try all the various missions/campaigns/planes/whatever, especially because not every plane or heli displays trim settings.

Any thoughts? The only way to fix it is to literally restart the entire game.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I have a weird bug happening that I haven't seen discussed anywhere. When playing the Cage the Bear F14 campaign, if I ever restart/"fly again", the roll trim is completely hosed to the point of being untrimmable and the plane unflyable. It's impossible to move the trim back far enough for it to center. I don't have trim bound to an axis, just the usual hat on my Warthog.
When I was rolling to one side like crazy when hands-off-stick I thought I had just broken something on takeoff, but I can clearly see on the F14's trim needles that they're completely off as soon as I spawn in. Years of simming has taught me not to manipulate any control surfaces while the game is loading, so it's definitely not that. I suspect this might be happening at other times but I don't have the time to try all the various missions/campaigns/planes/whatever, especially because not every plane or heli displays trim settings.

I haven't had anything as bad as that, but since the last update with autopilot-fixes, sometimes my roll trim is slightly off when starting a mission. Enabling and disabling autopilot fixes it.

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here
On the topic of trimming: is it just me, or is the A-10C II impossible to get to perfect trim in roll? Slight left roll, give it one click right, then it becomes a slight right roll. Maybe the real aircraft is like that, I don’t know. Currently using a single throttle axis, maybe split throttles would help with minute adjustments?

I do know I have to re-trim after each weapon release, power/altitude change, etc, as I’d expect.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Get into the habit of turning on the autopilot anytime you need to be heads down or hands off the stick. Saves you the embarrassment of plowing into the ground while you’re typing in a grid square.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Considering what the trim is like in this game and how microscopically precise you have to be with it, if that's anything close to reality, it's a complete wonder why every plane in the world doesn't have some kind of Auto Trim system, or at the very least an "Auto Trim to straight and level flight" button. It's doubly confusing that it's not here in this video game.

Like yes we get it, it's a sim that's trying to be as painfully realistic as possible. But it's also a sim that already has toggleable infinite missiles and fuel so you'd think it would at least be an option.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 25, 2022

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

Considering what the trim is like in this game and how microscopically precise you have to be with it, if that's anything close to reality, it's a complete wonder why every plane in the world doesn't have some kind of Auto Trim system, or at the very least an "Auto Trim to straight and level flight" button. It's doubly confusing that it's not here in this video game.

Like yes we get it, it's a sim that's trying to be as painfully realistic as possible. But it's also a sim that already has toggleable infinite missiles and fuel so you'd think it would at least be an option.
Its my understanding that trimming planes in real life is a lot different.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

ED code doesn't clear variables well. Sometimes you can click fly again, sometimes you have to back out to the main menu, sometimes you have to restart the game...Enigma found one in multiplayer where they had to restart their computer to clear.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Wolfy posted:

I suppose it's like anything with digital vs analog controls. Lots of a/c have trim wheels (though this seems less common in more modern planes) which allow you to fine tune infinitely precise trim inputs. Most jets in this game have trim buttons that turn the trim motors on or off with no setting in between.

Or, as in the case with my IL2 settings, the aircraft simulate an analog trim wheel, but my input is a digital button, so I'm constantly fiddling with trim.

Anyway, in real airplanes that I've flown (light GA aircraft), even with a trim wheel, you're always fiddling with trim to some degree. It's unavoidable as the aircraft is constantly changing it's flight parameters in countless subtle ways. So, in short, digital vs analog, sim vs real... You're always fiddling with trim unless you hit autopilot switch.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Xakura posted:

I haven't had anything as bad as that, but since the last update with autopilot-fixes, sometimes my roll trim is slightly off when starting a mission. Enabling and disabling autopilot fixes it.

This seemed to work, thanks!

I've never actually used autopilot in this thing and didn't even consider trying.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Gewehr 43 posted:

I suppose it's like anything with digital vs analog controls. Lots of a/c have trim wheels (though this seems less common in more modern planes) which allow you to fine tune infinitely precise trim inputs. Most jets in this game have trim buttons that turn the trim motors on or off with no setting in between.

Or, as in the case with my IL2 settings, the aircraft simulate an analog trim wheel, but my input is a digital button, so I'm constantly fiddling with trim.

Anyway, in real airplanes that I've flown (light GA aircraft), even with a trim wheel, you're always fiddling with trim to some degree. It's unavoidable as the aircraft is constantly changing it's flight parameters in countless subtle ways. So, in short, digital vs analog, sim vs real... You're always fiddling with trim unless you hit autopilot switch.

Yeah with GA aircraft IRL you can feel the effect through the controls which makes it a bit easier or more intuitive than trimming a GA plane in a sim like MSFS. Like you feel the pressure being relieved on the control surfaces through the yoke/stick. No idea what it feels like to trim a fly-by-wire plane IRL though, i'd imagine it's closer to a sim since you're not getting direct feedback through your hands in the same way as a pulleys and wires plane.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Fix the Apache desync at once!!!

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Grow up

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

Wolfy posted:

In a real plane there are multiple trim axes and systems and they are not all equally important.

Pitch trim, or elevator trim, is the most important. Fundamentally it's about controlling lift. In order to fly straight and level, the forces of lift and gravity acting on your plane have to be exactly balanced. You can increase your lift by increasing angle of attack (raising the nose), flying faster, or deploying devices on the wings that change its shape (e.g. flaps), and decrease it by doing the opposite. Many of these things naturally change throughout the flight. For instance, if you fly faster without changing anything else, your lift will increase, and the plane will climb. To keep flying level, you must reduce the lift back to where it just balances gravity. You can do this by pushing the nose down, reducing the angle of attack. It would suck to have to hold the stick forwards like that for an entire flight, so instead you have a trim system that holds the elevator at the proper angle for you, letting you take your hands off the controls.

Because pitch trim is about controlling lift, the elevator trim setting will change any time the lift situation changes. If you speed up you need to trim down; slow down and you have to trim up. If you deploy the flaps, you have to immediately trim down to account for the sudden lift surplus. If you bank into a turn, your lift vector changes so that it is no longer entirely opposing gravity. To fly a level turn, you therefore have to pull back on the stick, and if you're doing a long continuous turn, you might trim up instead. You also will need less nose-up trim at the end of a long flight than at the beginning -- fuel has been burned off and the plane is now lighter, so it doesn't require as much lift.

So elevator trim has to be changed all the time. It's a fundamental flight control. Some very old planes (like pre-WW2) didn't have elevator trim, and by all accounts that made them very exhausting to fly.

The next most important is rudder trim. In propeller-powered airplanes, there are a variety of factors that can cause the plane to want to yaw one direction or the other. Engine torque, gyroscopic effects, propeller slipstream on the fuselage, subtle aerodynamic effects of the propeller blades. These effects change with angle of attack and engine power settings. However, in normal cruise flight you're probably going to be at a predictable power setting and angle of attack, so small planes are just designed with a little metal tab on the rudder that is bent to the correct angle on the ground. You take off, fly around in cruise, and if the plane still wants to pull to one side, you land and bend the tab a little more. That trims the plane up so you can take your feet off the pedals in cruise. The trim will be wrong for all other portions of flight, but not greatly, and you just get used to compensating with the pedals. The heavier and more powerful the plane, though, the more difficult this becomes. A 100-horsepower Cessna 152 just takes a light touch, but a 1200-horsepower P-51 takes legs like tree trunks to balance out. So your more powerful planes will have a mechanical rudder trim to assist as you fly in different flight envelopes.

Jet airplanes don't have anywhere near the level of yaw effects that propeller planes do, but they still have rudder trim to help set up a stable sideslip to compensate for wind on landing, etc. Military planes may also carry uneven external loads that cause more drag on one side than the other, and therefore need yaw trim to balance it out.

Finally, roll trim is generally the least important. Most general aviation planes are designed with positive roll stability, meaning that when banked, they tend to want to roll back into a wings-level attitude. There's no disadvantage to building in that stability, and nothing about the plane's balance around the roll axis should change in flight, so roll trim is unnecessary. You take your hands off the controls and the plane just levels itself out.

In fighter planes this is different. Having positive stability means the plane fights your roll inputs a little bit, and that slows down your maneuvering. Ideally a fighter plane has neutral roll stability -- you bank it and it holds that angle, whether it's upright or upside down or whatever. The external load situation also means that one wing might be heavier than the other. Roll trim is important to adjust for this.

Now, whether a plane has trim in a given axis is totally separate from whether it will be stable in that axis, which is what your original question is getting at. If you have a neutral-stability fighter plane with three axes of trim, and you crank them all around so the plane is balanced, and then a gust of wind knocks you around -- you are just going to be nice and stable in that new unusual attitude. We've established that you can't build a plane with a natural pitch centering ability, because the required pitch changes all the time in flight. Same for yaw centering, though to a lesser extent, and you can set the plane to want to center itself in yaw at a given airspeed. And roll stability can certainly be designed in, but that reduces your maneuverability.

So what you need then is an autopilot. "Auto trim" won't do it. You need something that can determine the plane's orientation in pitch, yaw and roll, and drive the control surfaces to keep it pointing the right direction:

GreatGreen posted:

Considering what the trim is like in this game and how microscopically precise you have to be with it, if that's anything close to reality, it's a complete wonder why every plane in the world doesn't have some kind of Auto Trim system, or at the very least an "Auto Trim to straight and level flight" button.

And nearly every plane with a two-axis autopilot does have this. You can push a button and the autopilot will roll the plane wings-level and then adjust the elevator trim to make it fly without climbing or descending. That's how you "auto trim" a fighter plane, and indeed it works by adjusting the trim surfaces until the plane is level, and then continuously fussing with them.

In a plane designed to have very benign flight characteristics, like a little Cessna, you can in many cases just let go of the controls and the plane will stabilize itself, sort of. The natural roll stability will level the wings unless you're way overbanked already, and altitude-wise, the plane will enter a cycle where it dives a bit, accelerates as it dives, gains more lift as it accelerates, leaves the dive and starts to climb, slows down as it climbs, loses lift, goes back into a dive, etc and repeats that oscillation indefinitely.

I dunno why I posted all this when the tl;dr of "all planes with an autopilot do have an auto trim system; in planes without an autopilot, either the plane is stable enough that it's not a concern, or it's an old design that is indeed annoying to fly" is enough. oh well

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
We're saying the same thing; you're just saying a lot more of it. :D

In all seriousness though, you're absolutely right. Flight is such a fluid and dynamic thing, that constantly mucking with trim is the reality until you start bringing autopilots to the table.

Edit to add: sincere thanks for the effort post. That's a perfect summary of trim and stability.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:
DCS sale from Sunday or so

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Corky Romanovsky posted:

DCS sale from Sunday or so
:getin:

With a sale on the horizon: I just started playing a few weeks ago, and I tried out the F-16 and was learning some of the basics before the trial week ended. Is there any reason I wouldn't want to buy that as my first payware plane? Are there more popular options, or something that's better for someone new to sims?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

F-16 is a great starter plane -- it's got fantastic speed and maneuverability, a forgiving fly-by-wire system that won't let you rip your own wings off, and can do both air superiority and ground-pounding missions. There's almost always a spot for it in goon missions too.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Baronash posted:

With a sale on the horizon: I just started playing a few weeks ago, and I tried out the F-16 and was learning some of the basics before the trial week ended. Is there any reason I wouldn't want to buy that as my first payware plane? Are there more popular options, or something that's better for someone new to sims?

Are you very exited about carrier ops? If not, go for it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

ninjahedgehog posted:

F-16 is a great starter plane -- it's got fantastic speed and maneuverability, a forgiving fly-by-wire system that won't let you rip your own wings off, and can do both air superiority and ground-pounding missions. There's almost always a spot for it in goon missions too.

Yep. Not to mention its full bubble cockpit makes for better visuals and lets you see a lot more of the game, which is probably good for spacial awareness and just getting to know the landscapes in general.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Just buy all of them.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Baronash posted:

That or the F18 are probably the best first modules. F16 has a cool bubble canopy with better thrust-to-weight, F18 gets to do carrier ops and can haul a little more ordinance.

Can't really go wrong with either.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Baronash posted:

I'm in pretty much the same spot as you, started an F-16 trial last week and I'm probably going to buy it. I tried DCS a year or two ago but bounced off it but now I have VR and MSFS is getting a bit stale. I know a lot about How Plane Fly but virtually nothing about the military side of it, are there any recommended guides/content creators for combat noobs? I've just been using Chuck's guide and Matt Wagners youtube so far.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

You could buy the F-16 and never buy any other module, it’s that good an airplane and module.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The F/A-18 has carrier operations, but the F-16 can carry ten CBU-97s. It's an agonizing decision.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

The F18 can fold its wings.

You can let its hook scrape across a land runway to make sparks fly.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I went with F/A-18 as my first (and now I own everything) because I love carrier ops, and it was more feature complete at the time.

But as others said, either are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I'm an Apache slut. I'm a slut for the Apache.

I don't identify as one or whatever, that's just dumb and offensive. But I might just gently caress one once they patch the desync.