Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

SKULL.GIF posted:

it's just the exact same tired and worn-out wrecker rhetoric. you can't do anything because it Might Inconvenience The Poor/Disabled and, furthermore, not a real leftist!! liberal!!. boring and insipid, dismissed with high contempt

"the regressive/conservative policy that is super convenient for me, personally, is actually progressive because of disabled/poor people"

i've seen that rolled out to support amazon, 15-minute food delivery venture capital startups, instacart, uber + lyft (specifically those companies, not just "taxis"), tax cuts, funding cops, etc

ultimately this is the farthest we'll go as a society to "fix cars":
https://twitter.com/charlie_baker23/status/1507120410038525956

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 21:30 on Mar 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

ikanreed posted:

I don't think this thread is ready to accept that in America, if we ever rid ourselves of cars it will be done entirely on the backs of the poorest

under capitalism any social change whatsoever will benefit the rich and exploit the working class, because the ruling class controls the government and maintains it as an extractive hierarchy. this is the consequence of living in capitalism. we can wait for the dictatorship of proles to take over or we can get rid of cars

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
thinking of selling my piece of poo poo car and buying an e-bike. it's pretty bikeable here, but I'm lazy and there's a couple big hills on my commute. i already have a miyata 10-speed rotting away

good idea? was eyeing the cheap, light cannondale models earlier

mystes
May 31, 2006

Stevie Lee posted:

thinking of selling my piece of poo poo car and buying an e-bike. it's pretty bikeable here, but I'm lazy and there's a couple big hills on my commute. i already have a miyata 10-speed rotting away

good idea? was eyeing the cheap, light cannondale models earlier
Ebikes are cool

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
even nanny-state EU 250W e-bikes are cool and good.

if you live somewhere bikeable they own for most trips up to like 10 miles or so. I use mine pretty exclusively nowadays

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

jetz0r posted:

the original plan was $400 per a tax payer, then it got means tested to become $400 per a car.

loving dems

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

if real bikes were good enough for the viet cong they should be good enough for you

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

completely toast

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

the bitcoin of weed posted:

under capitalism any social change whatsoever will benefit the rich and exploit the working class, because the ruling class controls the government and maintains it as an extractive hierarchy. this is the consequence of living in capitalism. we can wait for the dictatorship of proles to take over or we can get rid of cars

Yeah but in America our dumbass citizens think that's good

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Big if true https://twitter.com/simonsarris/status/1504082339974062086

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
as far as cannondale ebikes goes the treadwells seem like a really good value for what you get. Also the Aventon ebikes are really reasonably priced and in-stock

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

This is true to the extent that it incentivized larger designs, but vehicles were already trending larger years before that, + people clearly love the bigger designs.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

...and you can still make a small truck if it's fuel efficient.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Fitzy Fitz posted:

This is true to the extent that it incentivized larger designs, but vehicles were already trending larger years before that, + people clearly love the bigger designs.

not me, I'd love a lil pickup truck for work. I rent the HD trucks on occasion and they're huge and a colossal headache to drive. Test driving one of those and saying "yes I'd like this truck" means you are hosed in the head

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Fitzy Fitz posted:

...and you can still make a small truck if it's fuel efficient.

small trucks cant be fuel efficient. The bed, that defines a truck is awful for gas mileage.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

small trucks cant be fuel efficient. The bed, that defines a truck is awful for gas mileage.

:wrong: 50mpg right here

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Can't go on the highway. Fine for delivery for local markets etc from the freight train depot though.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Can't go on the highway. Fine for delivery for local markets etc from the freight train depot though.

What if the highway is the problem and not the truck that can't go on it

someusername
Jan 26, 2015
I have a 5spd Tacoma with a cap and it does just fine (in relation to other things in its class).

It does feel like that little midget truck whenever I have to park next to a newer one. There are taller small SUVs everywhere too.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Auto company execs are on record saying the whole point is to make things look tough and manly to appeal to morons. The fact that there's no incentive not to make things gently caress off huge is just enabling what they'd be doing anyway.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I just want one thing in the US to not be getting stupider.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Point is, grossly overpowered engines and heavy bloated chassis make pickups suck down the gas. Increased wind resistance from the open bed is only significant at highway speeds

I never knew about that CAFE bullshit though, another reason to hate the obungler

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

In much of the rest of the world we use vans, which are like objectively better for most commercial vehicle use cases

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

ikanreed posted:

between microplastic in the food and water, tire rubber in the air, opiates/prescriptions/how good weed is now, long covid AND the brain power needed to hyper normalize extreme weather events i got some bad news for the state of brains in usa. good thing america has s tier education system, free press and real democratically elected leaders

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeorUqJ7w3Q

cool video about traffic management in ancient roman cities

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

I want to make clear I hate cars, really hate them!

But driving one of these kinds of tiny non-highway eligible vehicles was minimally acceptable when I spent some time in Japan. Not too fast, very little chance of hitting anyone given the high visibility and low height. This was in a rural area where the train unusually wasn't available unfortunately.

Mayor Dave posted:

I work for a nationwide car dealership chain, which has only fueled my hatred for cars btw, and while you can buy a basic model civic or Camry for under 25k if you shop around (they sell super fast when we get them to the dealerships or out them online) 70% of our new inventory sells for more than 30k. That 47k average is a little higher than our average but we only have a few luxury dealerships so I wouldn't be surprised if the national average is higher than ours

This American Life's "129 Cars" episode made the entire dealership experience sound miserable for everyone, between the customers getting fleeced to the stressed dealers+managers scrambling to make impossible quotas. Can understand how working for a dealership chain would create a rarefied hatred for cars.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

ikanreed posted:

Unfortunately the ever increasing amount of atmospheric CO2 precludes this possibility

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Hubbert posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeorUqJ7w3Q

cool video about traffic management in ancient roman cities

caesar was right.

(banned wheeled vehicles from streets of rome from sunrise to sunset lol)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I worked on my car today, it was pretty enjoyable.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

AnimeIsTrash posted:

gently caress you

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
I heard you paint cars

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

AnimeIsTrash posted:

worked on destroying it?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

cool av posted:

worked on destroying it?

I replaced a tail light.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I had to change the battery out of the work car last week and honestly, it felt like the dumbest loving thing. Cars are stupid

80lb trash battery every 3 years, im confident it's being well recycled

Jokerpilled Drudge has issued a correction as of 14:30 on Mar 27, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'd still rather drive occasionally then deal with the clusterfuck that is public transit. Several people I know here stopped using the bus and light rail completely because it pretty much became the wild west after covid started. there have been all sorts of issues, including public urination, drug use, all the way up to sexual assaults

ideally walk > bike > ......... car > current public transit in my city

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

drat wait til you hear about traffic injuries and deaths

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

drat wait til you hear about traffic injuries and deaths

I drive VERY little, if I had to drive every day I'd figure out some way to... not have to do that. the last few months I've driven 60 and 75 miles

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

I had to change the battery out of the work car last week and honestly, it felt like the dumbest loving thing. Cars are stupid

80lb trash battery every 3 years, im confident it's being well recycled

The battery in my car is original from when I bought it 9 years ago? Not sure why some cars chew through batteries faster than others, but I'm sure there are no environmental regulations in place to force manufacturers to work on improving it!

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
I generally assume there's some continual drain on the battery that keeps discharging it overnight to the point where it still has enough juice to start the car, so the owner assumes it's fine, but the constant cycling kills it really fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Imagine if you had more time to learn a hobby woodworking, model building, learning metal work, or gardening, instead of fixing a thing you're forced to have,
That also wastes your time and money because your income requires an extra hour of travel time.