Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Jamesman posted:

I think it might be the worst Joker out of the movies I've seen, but I don't know if it's the worst villain. You have a whole cast of characters vying for that role in Suicide Squad.

If you wanna talk straight-up villains traditionally associated with Batman and/or villains in Batman movies, I really don't even remember Bane serving any purpose in Batman & Robin. Except for that one very good scene where he's wearing a hat.

The best thing about Bane in Batman and Robin is the RiffTrax line (when Bane's being strapped down and they're putting a lucha mask on him), "They're going to put boxing gloves on him and force him to read emails!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Jamesman posted:

Some interesting (and confusing) spoilers from the director of Morbius, as part of an interview with CinemaBlend. I'm assuming this is all real.

It's my understanding that we don't generally like to post spoilers for movies that aren't even out yet, so all I'll say is you can find this info out on CinemaBlend's Twitter, and :psyduck:

I went and read it, and... wow yeah you're not wrong. I mean, maybe the movie won't be total dogshit, but the way they are handling some stuff absolutely is. My interest in it went from low to non-existant.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
...the main thing revealed there seems like a pretty major thing for the director to just drop in some random interview, especially since it's not even for his movie

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lol what the gently caress that interview just straight up give the ending stringer?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Post it in spoiler text, I'm neither going to Twitter or morbius

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Apparently Toombs recruits him into some kind of Sinister Six which is weird but especially dumb given how No Way Home went

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Soonmot posted:

Post it in spoiler text, I'm neither going to Twitter or morbius

In no particular order:

- Same universe as Venom. There’s a spider-man in this universe which may or may not be introduced sooner than later (not in movie though)
- Toombs is the same one from the Homecoming movie / MCU. He jumped universes (purposely/accidentally?) during NWH.
- He shows up at the end of the movie in a (slightly different) Vulture suit getting recruited by Morbius.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I feel like the complaints about the Morbius end scene are inflated by fandom. No one cares that Black widow ends with Pugh's character already having an assassinations handler after the movie ended with her pledging to find the other brainwashed black widows with other white Widows. None of the mcu before infinity war actually connected either. Folks just upset Sony still got marvels toys that they think should be back "home." I watch the after credits like the "next time on arrested development" buttons.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 26, 2022

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

That ending kind of clashes with my interpretation of the ending of Homecoming, that Vulture bore no extreme ill will towards Peter which is why he lied to Gargan. Though I guess maybe a stint in prison changed his mind.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There’s a 5 year time gap between the end of Black Widow and the post credits.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

There’s a 5 year time gap between the end of Black Widow and the post credits.

Why would she be taking orders from anyone at all and not just chilling with her crew? Considering you know the whole movie and her getting over being a tool for people.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Karloff posted:

That ending kind of clashes with my interpretation of the ending of Homecoming, that Vulture bore no extreme ill will towards Peter which is why he lied to Gargan. Though I guess maybe a stint in prison changed his mind.

Presumably he also no longer remembers Peter and his daughter were friends.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Ah, that's a very good point, I forgot about that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

To be clear, I haven't seen the movie so this could be answered, but: why does Morbius even care about Spider-Man? It seems completely unmotivated.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel like the films have been kind of reluctant to use the newer villains

Like we got a Hush name drop in the new movie but it's completely unrelated to anything

I kind of figures this was a backdoor way of propping Hush up as a villain for a sequel. I might be wrong but the reporter killed wasn't Tommy but Tommy's dad so I guess they could have Tommy want to have revenge against the Wayne's now that he knows the truth.

Agree that Court of Owls would make for some good villains in a way that they can turn Gotham against Batman. Personally I would love to see Two Face because he is one my fave villains and he was only done half right once.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bushisms.txt posted:

Why would she be taking orders from anyone at all and not just chilling with her crew? Considering you know the whole movie and her getting over being a tool for people.

Did you see Hawkeye? She never manages that because she gets snapped while trying to find another Widow.

She comes back and finds out Natasha is dead, goes to her grave and is approached by Contessa.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is Leto's Joker the worst Batman movie villain?

I'd argue Leto's Joker isn't even a Batman movie villain. The only time they share a scene is in a dream in the Snyder Cut.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Did you see Hawkeye? She never manages that because she gets snapped while trying to find another Widow.

She comes back and finds out Natasha is dead, goes to her grave and is approached by Contessa.
The snap would mean nothing for her character motivation other than the delay. Why would she stop looking for the only people that she cares about after a cataclysmic event? Why would she stop looking for those people she after her sister dies? And It's obvious that's not their first conversation, Valentina's talking about hand delivering her next target , so it's real sloppy.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 26, 2022

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The way the scene in Hawkeye frames it, Yelena is working for Val as a way to get back on her feet after the Blip. She might also be doing widow deprogramming missions on the side, or maybe they were almost done at the time the Blip happened so there's no need anymore.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Arist posted:

To be clear, I haven't seen the movie so this could be answered, but: why does Morbius even care about Spider-Man? It seems completely unmotivated.

I have no idea how they wind up linking it but I guess technically people still think Spider-man killed Mysterio, they just don’t know he’s Peter Parker

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
maybe they're gonna link it back to Garfield's spidey saying he stopped caring and got brutal. maybe he did kill Mysterio

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Arist posted:

I'm sure it will involve a rainbow beam gun and the phrase "recombinant DNA".

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Lobok posted:

I'm sure it will involve a rainbow beam gun and the phrase "recombinant DNA".

sounds like a real neogenic nightmare

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Spider-Man has plasma. Do we need more of a motivation?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

1) I love this thread sometimes

2) Leto should have put those weird suckers on his palms that were always way scarier than getting bitten by vampire teeth

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Cartridgeblowers posted:

2) Leto should have put those weird suckers on his palms that were always way scarier than getting bitten by vampire teeth

I seem to remember Mighty Max having a similar censorship with a vampire woman having a lamprey mouth on the end of her elongated tongue.

Like, what the gently caress?!

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Cartridgeblowers posted:

1) I love this thread sometimes

It would have been the greatest gross body horror ever in live action.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Opopanax posted:

I have no idea how they wind up linking it but I guess technically people still think Spider-man killed Mysterio, they just don’t know he’s Peter Parker

That wouldn't have anything to do with it because the movie makes clear that it's not set in the MCU. Which of course just raises the question of why Tooms would even know of Morbius or why he'd care about the Spider-man of Morbius' world.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

bushisms.txt posted:

I feel like the complaints about the Morbius end scene are inflated by fandom. No one cares that Black widow ends with Pugh's character already having an assassinations handler after the movie ended with her pledging to find the other brainwashed black widows with other white Widows. None of the mcu before infinity war actually connected either. Folks just upset Sony still got marvels toys that they think should be back "home." I watch the after credits like the "next time on arrested development" buttons.

I feel like an assassin taking a job to go after the person she thinks killed her sister after a 5 year time skip isn't quite the same as a villain we haven't seen in two movies dimension hopping to a largely disconnected continuity to recruit a vampire he's never met to get revenge against a hero he was last shown not wanting revenge against and whom the vampire has also never met due to the whole separate dimension thing. And that's ignoring how he was hyped up in the trailers of this movie despite only appearing in the credits stinger.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

There's a reasonable argument that Toomes wants revenge, but doesn't want to let Gargan have it. Or that he didn't want revenge on some kid that saved his life and was friends with his daughter, but now he wants revenge on Spider-Man, whose identity he doesn't know.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My stance on plot holes is firmly that anything the audience can reasonably rationalize away themselves in a single sentence doesn't count. Even still, the Morbius post-credits scene sounds completely insane and flies completely in the face of all established character logic, as well as just regular logic.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

theironjef posted:

There's a reasonable argument that Toomes wants revenge, but doesn't want to let Gargan have it. Or that he didn't want revenge on some kid that saved his life and was friends with his daughter, but now he wants revenge on Spider-Man, whose identity he doesn't know.

And that's fair. I only mention it because it becomes much stranger given where and how it's taking place.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Yeah, I think that director did a disservice by just saying "Oh yeah, characters can now hop between the MCU and the Sony-verse" as if that's like a Vulture power. My guess is Sony is trying their hands at long-term villain crafting, and are setting up Morlun. A year or two ago I would have thought that was crazy and they'd just keep rebooting Green Goblin til time stops, but there's a Madame Web movie now, so presumably the grand diaspora of dumb spider dimension stuff is in play.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 28, 2022

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I just feel like incorporating all the Sony stuff, past and present, into the MCU really muddies things up and makes me feel that burnout that other people complain about for MCU movies, where it starts to become homework instead of entertainment. I didn't feel that burnout before because I enjoyed almost everything in the MCU, but now you're asking me to watch Amazing Spider-Man and Venom and Morbius and I really, really don't want to do those things.

I also don't really want the current direction of the MCU to be dictated by stuff that existed outside of the MCU because that just feels like it clashes with what I've enjoyed out of these movies up to this point.

But that just means I might not be as invested now as I once was, and there's worse things than no longer being a fanboy for Disney properties.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Jamesman posted:

I just feel like incorporating all the Sony stuff, past and present, into the MCU really muddies things up and makes me feel that burnout that other people complain about for MCU movies, where it starts to become homework instead of entertainment. I didn't feel that burnout before because I enjoyed almost everything in the MCU, but now you're asking me to watch Amazing Spider-Man and Venom and Morbius and I really, really don't want to do those things.

I also don't really want the current direction of the MCU to be dictated by stuff that existed outside of the MCU because that just feels like it clashes with what I've enjoyed out of these movies up to this point.

But that just means I might not be as invested now as I once was, and there's worse things than no longer being a fanboy for Disney properties.

I mean, you really didn't need to have seen either the Raimi or Amazing films to enjoy No Way Home. That movie does a good job of introducing the older characters in a way that fills you in without getting in the way of the main plot. Sure, their are references for fans of those franchises to enjoy, but nothing vital to the plot. I imagine if Venom or Morbius ends up in the MCU, it will be similarly done, and even that seems like a big IF given the slap dash nature of the connective tissue thus far. I would assume if this was all set up for a future Tom Holland Spider-Man or other MCU film that the studio would be collaborating with Sony a lot more on these other films.

So, save your time and only watch the movies you actually think you'll enjoy. I guarantee you won't miss anything important. Honestly, that goes for Sony and Disney films.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Right, and they all got put away into their nice little box at the end of the movie.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I dunno I kinda feel like you can technically see no way home without having seen any of the previous films in the same way you can technically watch infinity war/endgame without having seen any of the previous films. It gives you enough info to tell you what's going on, but the whole thing is definitely predicated on you having seen most everything

e: that said i'm kinda skeptical of seeing silver sable or morbius or whatever the gently caress showing up in avengers 5. i'm guessing disney won't be keen on letting sony get their spidey universe mixed up in what the mcu is doing beyond spider-man himself

site fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 28, 2022

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
You really don't need to watch all of the MCU. Those that do get extra reactions and tidbits out of it but otherwise, it's mostly stand-alone, these movies would not be that huge if they weren't.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
sony gonna be so mad when they use Secret Wars to bring in mutants instead of Sony's characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

fanboys are gonna be so mad when mutants just, like, show up