Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

FunkyFjord posted:

I've been playing through on hard and the one side mission to kill 3 master tonberries in the ff8 dungeon almost made me turn down the difficulty because they had so much hp and master's knife would one shot me 100% of the time unless I was playing as paladin and took the hit at max health.

Again, If you've got far enough to unlock Paladin, you've got all the tools you need to engage them in a shootout rather than getting into knife range. Tonberries are really generous in helping you refill your MP gauge, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

sponges posted:

Did 15 sell poorly or something? It never got any sequels and I hardly hear people talk about it

It made its budget back within the first week of sales so it definitely did well enough for itself despite all the behind the scenes nonsense going on.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Getting sequels isn't really an FF standard thing either. Dunno why that'd be proof of failure.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Didn't they cancel a bunch of XV dlc and turn them into short stories or something?

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

sponges posted:

Did 15 sell poorly or something? It never got any sequels and I hardly hear people talk about it

It got a couple mobile spinoffs but remember it's in the same sub universe as 13 so technically it's related to type 0 and all that poo poo

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Incidentally, does SOP include any means for letting you view/review enemy weaknesses?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I guess that's also why there aren't mooglez

Autocorrected to a z but I'll leave it

I honestly expected that to be what the white bats were, but no

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

sponges posted:

It got a whole bunch of paid DLC, though, up to 3 years after release.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Speaking of XV there's somehow yet another dogshit boilerplate "townbuilder" mobile game that got its license.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

I never really understood the distinction between Fabula Nova Chrysalis and regular Final Fantasy because the FNC main theme is "crystals that are connected to gods" So XVI seems like it would be part of it but it isn't

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I've been thinking about the legacy of the crystals a lot lately...

Now that SOPFFO is out maybe we'll hear more about Clive and company

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The yoshida crew dgaf about the legacy of the crystals. And I'll never forgive them for it

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Aeroga-ing fools into walls is a top tier strategy. Knock backs into walls does bonus break bar.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

SettingSun posted:

Didn't they cancel a bunch of XV dlc and turn them into short stories or something?

Yeah a second season of DLC was announced and then canceled, with only Episode Arden coming out of the five that were planned

S-E announced they were taking a write-off on the DLC and looking at their financials you can piece together that what probably happened is an accountant ran the numbers on how much Tabata was asking to develop the new crop of DLC and realized they'd basically have to sell the game all over again from scratch to make a profit on it.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The story that was planned for those DLCs, at least according to the novel is pretty top tier stupid even for FF, so at least them being canceled is no great loss.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The story that was planned for those DLCs, at least according to the novel is pretty top tier stupid even for FF, so at least them being canceled is no great loss.

:hmmyes:

Even the Ardyn DLC made poo poo worse.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Is FFX the FF with the strongest art direction? I mean, you see a monster or spell effect divorced from any context and you can immediately tell it's from X just from how it looks

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sefal posted:

Yeah, magic is bonkers
This is level 300 chaos mode Tiamat.
https://twitter.com/syn_189/status/1506452850548826113?s=21

I tried to duplicate this and my chaosbringer ends way before I can get enough lighting off to finish it, do you have a bunch of affinities or something to boost your time

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

XV's biggest issue I think is that it just didn't have a lasting impact despite S-E's really intense attempt to make it the new FF7. The initial release did a lot to kneecap it because it was released in such a ridiculously bluntly unfinished way that it was the way that most people remember it. Even if you play the 'finished' version it's clear where it ran out of steam (and it's still technically unfinished because Episode Ardin sets up stuff that never gets played out.)

That doesn't mean people hated it but neither did they love it. It was firmly and strictly 'just kinda there.' For all of FF13's flaws it evoked a whole lot of genuine emotion and Lightning was a breakout hit in terms of audience appeal. FFXV came and went despite S-E giving it a gigantic push. Noctis got a bunch of cameos and cross-promotion, they made a multiplayer mode, it got both paid and free DLC, it honestly probably got the most post-release support of any Final Fantasy game that isn't an MMO.

It's a firmly middle-of-the-pack FF game and unfortunately for a FF game that isn't a good thing because it's a franchise that thrives on audience connection. Even divisive entries like 8/12/13 have a strong audience who really enjoy the characters even if there are a lot of people who dislike them too. FFXV from all information we have fell firmly into the "It was okay, I guess" category which is shocking for a mainline FF game. That isn't to say everyone disliked it or it isn't someone's favorite but it is rare to see it ranking highly OR at the bottom of the barrel.

From a sequel perspective it also has the issue of the entire cast being dead at the end which makes it a lot harder to do a XV-2 .

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Getting sequels isn't really an FF standard thing either. Dunno why that'd be proof of failure.

That hasn't really been true for a while TBH. The last time a mainline FF game released without a sequel before FFXV was 22 years ago when 9 came out.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ImpAtom posted:

That hasn't really been true for a while TBH. The last time a mainline FF game released without a sequel before FFXV was 22 years ago when 9 came out.

12 has a sequel?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

12 has a sequel?

Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings. Direct sequel, features an immensely satisfying scene of Vaan punching Balthier for being a showboating rear end in a top hat.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

12 has a sequel?

Yes but it's a 3DS RTS game

Edit: actually just regular DS

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Yes but it's a 3DS RTS game

that feels like a spinoff more than a sequel lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

It is a direct sequel plotwise and I doubt anyone is going to say DoC isn't a sequel to FF7 even if it sucks.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

It's a direct continuation of the plot from what I understand, I haven't played it tho. Sorta like P4's sequel is a fighting game and P5's is a Musou. It happens

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Senator Drinksalot posted:

I never really understood the distinction between Fabula Nova Chrysalis and regular Final Fantasy because the FNC main theme is "crystals that are connected to gods" So XVI seems like it would be part of it but it isn't
Fabula Nova Crystalis pretty succinctly meant trying to make fal'cie, l'cie and Bhunivelze's pantheon a thing among themes of fighting against fate. It didn't seem like it was ever really supposed to be a total FF rewrite, primarily more the story background of the 13- games. In its restart of development, 15 had the FNC stuff thrown out since it now wasn't a Versus 13 game anymore.

Just generically crystals is Final Fantasy itself. Short of the cursed words fal'cie and l'cie coming back, FNC is dead and buried.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Is FFX the FF with the strongest art direction? I mean, you see a monster or spell effect divorced from any context and you can immediately tell it's from X just from how it looks

Probably, but it's also dragged down by being peak Nomura. Seymour always looks incredibly stupid, for instance. VII has great environmental art direction, but that's mostly limited to Midgar, and some great character designs -- Sephiroth is an all-timer. I think IX is also really incredible.

I can't stand the techno-magic aesthetic of XIII and its spinoffs, which sucks because that's basically become the Final Fantasy house style.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 26, 2022

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

From a sequel perspective it also has the issue of the entire cast being dead at the end which makes it a lot harder to do a XV-2 .

Tabata said in an interview, and then later additions to the game confirm that Gladiolus, Ignis, and Prompto survive the end of the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Tabata said in an interview, and then later additions to the game confirm that Gladiolus, Ignis, and Prompto survive the end of the game.

Well that is fuckin' dumb but unless it appears onscreen I can ignore it like the dumb Happy ending story.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ImpAtom posted:

If I'm correct, the only FF games without sequels are 2, 3, 6, 8, 9, 15, and I honestly have no idea if 11 counts or not. Either way, that's less than half the mainline series, even if a couple of those sequels are movies.

Hilariously 14 is its own sequel.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
FFTA2 is in the same world as XII, Vaan and Penelo even show up as sky pirates doing crimes. If you put the work in you can make Vaan completely untouchable and hitting the damage cap

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
All the FF games have a sequel via Dissidia

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I can't stand the techno-magic aesthetic of XIII and its spinoffs, which sucks because that's basically become the Final Fantasy house style.

? I wouldn't say that applies to any of the succeeding mainline games. 14 and 16 are both classic fantasy throwbacks and while 15 has a mix that isn't expressed all that strongly imo, it's going for urban fantasy rather than futuristic.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Grr, Chaos.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Calaveron posted:

aren't the dissidia characters explicitly just copy-pastes from the main FF timelines

except for Gilgamesh

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Motto posted:

? I wouldn't say that applies to any of the succeeding mainline games. 14 and 16 are both classic fantasy throwbacks and while 15 has a mix that isn't expressed all that strongly imo, it's going for urban fantasy rather than futuristic.

The main antagonists -- Niflheim in 15 and the Imperials in 14 -- both felt very close to 13 aesthetically.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Calaveron posted:

Except for FF1, where it's a prequel!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

Grr, Chaos.

:hmmyes: I like the way this guy thinks

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I liked how 15 tried to do FF but modern world. A chunk of the areas were just sort of one note like generic desert or grassland. Didn't really settle well as basically riding around the burbs of a metropolis. Not all the areas though some were cool. Then the combat was just too lacking to sell the fantasy aspect. Spells, although bonkers broken, weren't all that exciting to use.

Contrast that with Jack's spells. Each element looks and behaves differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

thetoughestbean posted:

FFTA2 is in the same world as XII, Vaan and Penelo even show up as sky pirates doing crimes. If you put the work in you can make Vaan completely untouchable and hitting the damage cap

The best part is A2 describes Vaan as "Final Fantasy XII's leading man" which I'm sure would annoy Balthier. It also talks about the "intervening years" from that game (since Revenant Wings takes place only a year later) so Vaan and Penelo are probably supposed to be in their early to mid 20s in A2. They're apparently also famous enough that people impersonate them.