Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

readingatwork posted:

Old School Peanuts (Jun 11, 1953)

And then Snoopy died.

Chocolate is absolutely bad for dogs. Don't feed it to them on purpose. But it isn't exactly cyanide to them either -- a quick google says that the danger limit is about 0.5 ounces of milk chocolate per pound of dog. Which is kind of a lot, if you think about it. I strongly doubt I've ever come anywhere near that ratio myself, even after trick-or-treating. Still, I suppose even a small dog could probably wolf down an entire pan of brownies a hell of a lot faster than I could. Anyway, all I mean to say here is, as long as Snoopy weighs more than three or four pounds (and he absolutely does), he should be okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Powered Descent posted:

Chocolate is absolutely bad for dogs. Don't feed it to them on purpose. But it isn't exactly cyanide to them either -- a quick google says that the danger limit is about 0.5 ounces of milk chocolate per pound of dog. Which is kind of a lot, if you think about it. I strongly doubt I've ever come anywhere near that ratio myself, even after trick-or-treating. Still, I suppose even a small dog could probably wolf down an entire pan of brownies a hell of a lot faster than I could. Anyway, all I mean to say here is, as long as Snoopy weighs more than three or four pounds (and he absolutely does), he should be okay.

We had a miniature pinscher that, among other exploits, once ate nearly an entire bag of Hershey's kisses including the foils. (I was young enough at the time to not have had any responsibility over the dog so don't blame me.) He was fine and went on to live for about 8 more years to the age of 17.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Isn't it baker's chocolate that is the killer?

poo poo, I also had a MinPin as a kid who ate one of those king sized dark hershey bars. She poo poo liquid for a day or two but was fine otherwise.

Maybe Hershey isn't real enough chocolate to "count."

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: So, you remember that joke I made about Blueberry not doing his paperwork? Well..., or ...I'm sure that won't come to bite you in the rear end, Finlay!, or Oh hey, Donnogan! Almost forgot you were in this story, too!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.

Darthemed posted:

Retail (in 2010)

Eyepatch guy's hand scares me.

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Literally dancing to their own music.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Guindon

A little Red & Rover for that last one.

Gahan Wilson

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Huxley posted:

A+J

Literally dancing to their own music.

I always really love the affection in this comic and how it's conveyed. It doesn't get sacrificed for the punchlines, and they usually find a way to get one in there on top of the sweetness.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Shugojin posted:

it's like

a small hill

you can see them with your naked eyes lady
Not from that angle she can't, the hill would be the way. Those are some powerful binoculars.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Cowslips Warren posted:

Isn't it baker's chocolate that is the killer?

poo poo, I also had a MinPin as a kid who ate one of those king sized dark hershey bars. She poo poo liquid for a day or two but was fine otherwise.

Maybe Hershey isn't real enough chocolate to "count."

It's the theobromine in chocolate that's bad for dogs and yeah, more cocoa means higher concentrations of it. Realistically, if your dog eats a little commercial candy, they'll be in more trouble from the fats causing GI upset, but it's tricky to predict how any given dog will react to a toxin so it's easier to just blanket ban all of it. A coworker's golden retriever ate a bunch of pot brownies and was in more danger from the marijuana (also toxic to dogs given how they metabolize it) than the chocolate, probably.

What's worse for dogs is raisins and grapes, onions aren't good either. The biggest danger I've seen is Xylitol (sugar substitute found in a lot of foods and candy) toxicity which can quickly cause some dogs to go into hypoglycemic shock and organ failure, and it's not a toxin a lot of people are aware about. Some dogs react super poor to it super quick while others can eat a whole pack of sugar-free candy and be fine.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "114 - Jucika At The Grand Boulevard"

"Grand Boulevard is one of the most busiest and central parts of Budapest"

"115 - Jucika And The Unexpected Guest" NSFW Nudity

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jun. 11, 1950)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I used to share my Chips Ahoy with my dog when I was a kid, and she lived to a healthy old age.

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/25/02

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 6/3-5/48

(If you need a Red & Rover for this one: Abretha is getting a lot of perfume gifts because she's going to live on a pig farm.)

Smokey Stover 12/15/46

Everyday Movies 12/24/34

"Say, Mopey, how do you spell 'Christmas'?"

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Thus of ould... Thus now...

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Feels bad, man.

Popcom

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Aleta owns. (even if she is just kinda recycling the plan Val used last arc)

2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Computoon: Origins

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

"I don't approve."

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jun. 11, 1950)

Medieval Ham Helmet.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

"That's pretty badass, Mozz! I'm gonna go free Savarna right now, thanks!"

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

"That's pretty badass, Mozz! I'm gonna go free Savarna right now, thanks!"

wait so the great tragedy is that his son just does phantom things without ever putting on the purple spandex

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

Mandrake

... did we even see that ashtray before in this story? Also, lol, "nothing happened, just a little attempted murder!" Mandrake is remarkably chill about some guys threatening him with lethal weapons.

Shugojin posted:

wait so the great tragedy is that his son just does phantom things without ever putting on the purple spandex
The powder keg he's doing the things in the aftermath of the explosion of might just keep simmering without Savarna throwing a match at it, too.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

davidspackage posted:

Oh nooo, is Luann doing the same storyline as Mary Worth :(

Sure is. Who's Doing It Worse? Vote now!

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Holy poo poo, they didn't somehow stumble into using Entry #1 from Sarah Morgan's big list of perfect baby names

What happened instead was nothing!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Zereth posted:

... did we even see that ashtray before in this story? Also, lol, "nothing happened, just a little attempted murder!" Mandrake is remarkably chill about some guys threatening him with lethal weapons.
We did, just the day before:

Although I assumed it was a plate, and I'm guessing you did too.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Haifisch posted:

We did, just the day before:

Although I assumed it was a plate, and I'm guessing you did too.
... that's a big ashtray, all the ones I've seen have been a lot smaller, closer to the footprint of a drinking glass.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

I wonder how many of Ernie Bushmiller's Nancy comics are a head in front of a void talking to themselves?

I'm gonna go ahead and guess...zero.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Classic Arlo and Janis (April 18, 2000)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I take it back Mozz is just being a dick now. "Your son lives! And he becomes really badass! And you have two kids but I can't even imagine a woman becoming the Phantom!!!" "I'm going to that prison now."

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Shugojin posted:

Also the weird fleshy sunglasses. Those are pretty tragic.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Shugojin posted:

The Phantom is actually a fervent believer in Xi Jinping Thought and is appalled that his son would fight against the PLA.

The next plot arc will be about preventing a terroist strike against a Belt and Road project in Bangalla.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

Seems kind of hokey.

If there's enough gas in the air that the place is going to go up if she lights a cigarette while she's there, It seems likely that Poole would have smelled it in the half hour before Joe punches him in the nose.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

JethroMcB posted:

Sure is. Who's Doing It Worse? Vote now!

I think they're both equally terrible in their own special way. :angel:

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Weembles posted:

The Phantom is actually a fervent believer in Xi Jinping Thought and is appalled that his son would fight against the PLA.

The next plot arc will be about preventing a terroist strike against a Belt and Road project in Bangalla.

for the ghost who understands that power grows out of the barrel of a gun!

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

The Bloop posted:

I assume Rufus Regan was a real person who payed to be in the strip like the fursonas in K&K

"Paid," not "payed"

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Murdstone posted:

Apartment 3-G

Jan's no diplomat

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Zereth posted:

... that's a big ashtray, all the ones I've seen have been a lot smaller, closer to the footprint of a drinking glass.
It's a 70s ashtray. They made huge ashtrays that could cave in a person's head.

gleebster posted:

Jan's no diplomat
Thanks for getting that. I wanted to see it. Poor Jan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma