Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

lunar detritus posted:

Does anyone else have problems with the timing for the dodge + hit? It feels really random if it triggers or not.

Yeah, I don't think I've ever successfully gotten one off. The dodge has a little bit of input lag too for me? But maybe because I'm playing on docked mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Nemo2342 posted:

So are my options pick the vegetable so I can use/sell it, or use the sickle to turn it into better seeds?

Ideally you should sickle one plant of every harvest group to level up the plant, you can just sell the level up seed for them to level up in the store as well so you only need one rotation. Level 8+ you need to do quality shenanigans to get level ups, but until then it's brain off sickle.

Kagrenac
Jan 14, 2017

Dirk the Average posted:

On the other hand, you can do silly things with the new system like put a weapon rack outside and use it to access all of your storage like some sort of wormhole.

You also aren't limited to the area around the seed building or even the town, you can put them pretty much anywhere flat enough. I have a fridge and cutting board in a dungeon for nonstop fishing.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Nuebot posted:

I'm still early on but I love when I'm out of RP and need to use the inn but the dogman is just hanging out on the beach for an hour or two before slowly walking back inside.

I'm early game so just figured this was his routine and at some point someone else would move in and their routine would cover for him. Does this really never happen?

Now kinda annoyed that the other villagers get to just waltz right in whenever. Like dude, just give me a money dropbox or something.

Re: dodges, the only reason I know they work is that I can dash through flame pillars pretty consistently. It makes a sound effect and has a small visual to go along with a successful dodge.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

HPanda posted:

I'm early game so just figured this was his routine and at some point someone else would move in and their routine would cover for him. Does this really never happen?

Now kinda annoyed that the other villagers get to just waltz right in whenever. Like dude, just give me a money dropbox or something.

Re: dodges, the only reason I know they work is that I can dash through flame pillars pretty consistently. It makes a sound effect and has a small visual to go along with a successful dodge.

I don't know, I've been stalling plot progression for a while because I just like grinding poo poo. But I've noticed most people go to the inn around like 5PM once the day ends.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

HPanda posted:

it does not happen in the first eight dungeons I'll tell you that (I am not further than that yet)

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

I gotta say, RF5 feels like a major step back in a lot of ways. Not least of which is that 20 second load time every time you exit a building. Really put me off of going and talking to everyone every day.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kyte posted:

Veggies may randomly drop a seed, which might even level up on its own if the soil is good enough, but the sickle will always level the seed up to the tool's quality cap. (So plants that regrow probably don't need a sickle unless you want to speedrun it which tbh isn't worth it because you'll run into the sickle's quality cap very fast)
Once you sell a leveled up veggie it'll upgrade the shop's seeds as well.

Is it selling the vegetable, or selling the seed? I sold 1 of each seed and it seems to work, but I may have spaced out and sold the vegetables at some point.

Also, apparently time stops when you talk to someone, but your RP regen doesn't. A very exploity way of getting a refill any time you can talk to someone (like one of your monsters).

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Terry also gives out a scarf that halves rp cost via the shield gifts, and because of it I never run out of rp anymore unless I’m crafting.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Nemo2342 posted:

Is it selling the vegetable, or selling the seed? I sold 1 of each seed and it seems to work, but I may have spaced out and sold the vegetables at some point.

Also, apparently time stops when you talk to someone, but your RP regen doesn't. A very exploity way of getting a refill any time you can talk to someone (like one of your monsters).

Either seed or vegetable works.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
when you cut a crop with a sickle, the seed will be a higher level than the crop up to the sickle's cap. crops can also be of higher levels than the seed they came from, but that depends on more variables and is less reliable.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Tellaris posted:

I gotta say, RF5 feels like a major step back in a lot of ways. Not least of which is that 20 second load time every time you exit a building. Really put me off of going and talking to everyone every day.

Do you have the game on internal storage, SD, or cart? Having it on internal storage makes loading slightly faster compared to SD, but it still isn't the greatest.

Furniture can be placed closer together with one trick.
  • 1: Place your first item where you want it (remember its position).
  • 2: Destroy it with your weapon.
  • 3: Move your second piece of furniture, the first will no longer block it.
  • 4: Zone out and back in and your furniture respawns and now everything is closer together.

The biggest drawback is, well, since you destroyed the furniture you can't exactly see where it is when placing the next piece. And you still have the huge gently caress off gap to the wall.

Honestly RF6 needs to not have moveable furniture. I hated it in RF4, RF5 became worse. Just make it static poo poo that actually looks decent because we're not getting the tools to make it look good ourselves. Honestly I want a linked kitchen that lets me easily swap between the types (e.g. oven, mixer) by hitting L/R instead of having to exit out and go click the other one.

Also has anyone found Rigid Horns or Invisible Stones at all in RF5? Rigid horns were the easy way to give your monsters crit chance in RF4 and invisible stones for making gear, well, invisible.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

I think the best bet is to combine them. First set of each furniture is prebuilt into your base, then you can buy portable versions. I like being able to move them, just boy is the base ugly.

Honestly after a few hours I barely notice the performance issues. A game like PoOT I noticed them the whole game length, but they're not too bad this game honestly.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Ah, made a mad rush at breakneck speed through the plot (already muddled through the plot in Japanese with a bad machine translation setup) and finally got platinum on Spring 28. Now I can relax and comfortably enjoy chatting with NPCs and doing town events.

I do really wish they'd stop making upgrades cost thousands of wood, or at least make it easy to purchase wood in large amounts if they insist upon it. Hell, even just something like making upgraded hammers/axes create like 5 wood per chop would be a big help. Instead you now occasionally get 2 pieces of wood or stone per whack, and while that's kind of nice, it's just not worth bothering with for the most part.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Maguoob posted:

Also has anyone found Rigid Horns or Invisible Stones at all in RF5? Rigid horns were the easy way to give your monsters crit chance in RF4 and invisible stones for making gear, well, invisible.

The last boss of the next to last story dungeon drops rigid horn and looking at the item datamine it appears invisible stones don't exist.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

LostRook posted:

The last boss of the next to last story dungeon drops rigid horn and looking at the item datamine it appears invisible stones don't exist.

gently caress that, unless the Rigid Horn is the item with the best steal (seal) chance I guess I'll have to go poke golems for their tiny stones. Also no invis stone makes me super sad. Guess I'll have to keep unequipping poo poo when I walk around and try to remember to put it back on when I fight stuff. I just checked the sneak boots to see if it had a different item with the "makes things invisible" trait, but instead they have an item that meets the exact opposite requirements for being sneaky as an ingredient.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Unequip stuff when you walk around? If you press the associated directional button a second time it does that, unless I'm misunderstanding you.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Weird maybe glitch with the fishing variety contest? I caught a squid as my first fish and my character said "that's fish 0!" and the next fish I caught was fish 1. I reloaded my save after I lost, by one fish, and caught a non-squid fish for my first fish and it was fish 1.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

LostRook posted:

Unequip stuff when you walk around? If you press the associated directional button a second time it does that, unless I'm misunderstanding you.

That is for the weapons, but not head gear or shields. So if I want my wizard outfit to have its hat I need to take off my ribbon.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Tellaris posted:

I played through Rune Factory Frontier recently, so as I play RF5 I can’t help thinking about how much better the wii game from 2008 looked and ran.

I love the gameplay in 5 but man, what wouldn’t I give for a version of the game with competent art direction.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
the wii game also inexplicably had giant robot fights, so that's not fair

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So my biggest issue with the game is not the framerate but the terrain. Every single wanted monster I've fought has bounced into some manner of cliff, lake, pond, hill or some other terrain where it would stand out of weapon reach just spamming its attacks forever until I managed to despawn it and start the fight from scratch.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

I just started RF4S this week and it's been a blast. Are the earlier ones in the series worth checking out later on?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Katana_Warrior posted:

I just started RF4S this week and it's been a blast. Are the earlier ones in the series worth checking out later on?

If you want more story, sure. All the games are very similar, content wise, so if you enjoy one you'll likely enjoy them all.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
I accidentally bought RF4S just now also so everyone else hold off for a sale in the next day or two. Excited to dive in later! Have already forgotten all the beginner tips posted on request in the last few days so I’ll be golden.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I’m having an absolute blast going in entirely blind. Though I was pressing dungeons pretty hard and probably need to slow down and craft some equipment because I’m getting solidly rocked in the lava cave.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
i also got rf4s and it’s pretty ding dang good.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Katana_Warrior posted:

I think RF3 is as far back as you can go without starting to miss QoL updates. Also, RF3 has the best characters so far.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The RF3 character is a kung fu Sheep that suplexes enemies and frankly every other RF MC before or since has never lived up to that.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Dang, I progressed the plot a bit too late. Ran into one of the red spots trying to get the next wanted monster, a bunch of character events popped up on my map about a minute before the work day ended. Now, the next day, those same events are just gone and I guess I missed them all.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Dang, I progressed the plot a bit too late. Ran into one of the red spots trying to get the next wanted monster, a bunch of character events popped up on my map about a minute before the work day ended. Now, the next day, those same events are just gone and I guess I missed them all.

The little pink markers? They show up when you're not currently in a town event (if you look at the events page of the menu, there's a main story thing on top and a smaller town/romance event at the bottom; you can only have one town/romance event going on at a time).

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Dirk the Average posted:

The little pink markers? They show up when you're not currently in a town event (if you look at the events page of the menu, there's a main story thing on top and a smaller town/romance event at the bottom; you can only have one town/romance event going on at a time).

ahhh I didn't realize they were ongoing!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Nuebot posted:

ahhh I didn't realize they were ongoing!

Yup. And I should clarify that they're not missable; the markers show up again as soon as the previous one is completed. Some markers are time-sensitive though, as some of the events take place in the evening, so it's worth heading back to town around 7ish and 10ish if you're not seeing the marker pop up before then.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Can I get Monsters to clear my fields and put the materials in a bin? If so, does it have to be certain types of Monsters?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
do plants that harvest multiple times have the same period between harvests as it takes to grow in the first place

I got bell peppers and strawberries in the shop and trying to calculate their profit per day is, much more complicated compared to one-and-done plants

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

No they'll reset to a particular phase in their growth. I remember other games having a library which had the growth patterns for crops in them, dunno if this one has.

This is the rough idea though:

v. 0 (seed) - 2 days - v. 1 - 3 days - v.3 (harvest)
reset back to v. 1

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

cheetah7071 posted:

do plants that harvest multiple times have the same period between harvests as it takes to grow in the first place

I got bell peppers and strawberries in the shop and trying to calculate their profit per day is, much more complicated compared to one-and-done plants

Crops that regrow should list both their initial and their regrowth lengths in the description.
However, harvesting depletes soil quality which reduces growth rate, and multi-harvest crops will keep depleting the soil until it hits zero and the plant withers (or you get bored waiting for a new harvest) so the math is not that simple either way.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

From what I’ve noticed, the profit margins on crops are the same as RF4. Which means something like Corn is one of your first big money makers. The seed is 450(?) and the crop sells for 1000, but can be turned into popcorn (frying pan, 50+? recipe) for like 1800. This is all at level 1 of the crop.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

If you equip a magnifying glass (or upgrade your tool with a magnifying glass), you can see the soil information. At the very bottom you can see the health of the plot of soil (and this is different than the HP of the soil for reasons). The health (again, not HP!) drops every time you harvest a crop, and when it runs out, renewable crops will be deleted. You can increase the health by dropping some withered grass, corn, or 4-leaf clover on the 2x2 tile and tilling it with the hoe. Do note that that will consume the entire stack in one hit, so only put down as much as you need.

You will also absolutely obliterate the health of a tile by using more than one chemical on the tile per day, so, uh, don't do that. If you want to raise the speed at which a tile grows crops, for instance, put one formula A on the tile per day until the multiplier goes up to around 5x, which should be the cap. Formula B and C are less efficient money-wise, but are much more efficient time-wise if that matters to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I have a question about capturing, can some monsters just not be captured? Or does the skill matter? Because I'll occasionally throw my little windy thing at something that's almost dead and it'll just hit to no effect. My capture level is 10 and I still can't catch the cerberus to mug it for its drops. And leaping off from that; I'm guessing you can't tame that thing either?