Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

because it was a double ko, both bots are technically nonfunctional. Doesn't help both bots were right next to each other and thus hard to see what exactly isn't working

Can the judges still go inspect the robots after a fight? I remember a previous season where they mentioned it was allowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

sweet geek swag posted:

I'm pretty sure Uppercut did some serious damage to one of the back supports on Huge. If that is the case, even though Uppercut took some damage itself, that might be enough to tip the damage category, and there just wasn't enough in the control/aggression categories to outweigh it. The fight was too short.

I'm pretty confident that the issue for Huge in most judges decisions, they get hosed over on aggression and control. Huge doesn't get the best traction on the floors, so the aggression and control ends up going to the other bot.

Uppercut Vs Huge, the damage could easily just be a 50/50 split, but Uppercut was the one in control of the fight.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I'd prefer a way nerdier format that goes into the engineering and design process over the stupid mma whooping poo poo.

I'd love to get b-roll that shows the battle damage and talks with the builders about it. It's hard to appreciate how hard some of those hits are until you see a twisted chassis and big bites taken out of that AR500 up close.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Gromit posted:

I'd love to get b-roll that shows the battle damage and talks with the builders about it. It's hard to appreciate how hard some of those hits are until you see a twisted chassis and big bites taken out of that AR500 up close.

There are a few YouTube series that do that sort of thing.

Skorpios:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5Le00Pj6zE

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
It would be nice to have less fluff in the form of panning shots of the team and more in the way of interviews in the pits about damage, repairs, and how they plan to work around things in the future. Some of the youtube channels are good, but it's not the same. I think it would draw in more people too. I know my wife loves BattleBots, but mostly remembers the drivers and team captains more than the bots. I think there is a lot of human interest being left out.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
New ep

Defender did what defender does: not much.

Cobalt beats one of the biggest threats on its path.

Tombstone exits in what's become typical Tombstone fashion.

I wouldn't want to be a judge for Madcatter-Black Dragon. That was about as close as a fight can get.

Holy crap Blip. That was ridiculous.

Looked like they chose the right fights to recap this week.

Surprised Tantrum-Gigabyte was unanimous. That was a real slugfest.

I feel bad for Ribbot because they did the play-ins wrong. If they wanted to use the play in games to give obviously good robots a chance to make the playoffs, they should have been playing in for, like, the 20 seed. Have Malice and Defender play-in for the 32 seed and Skorpios and Hydra fight for the 18th or something. This is how March Madness does it, where 2 play-in games are for the 16 seeds and 2 are for the 11 seeds.

That said, I don't think the judges were wrong. Ribbot was definitely not moving in a controlled manner. Didn't really matter if the fight had continued, they were getting their asses beat pretty badly anyway. I don't see another 90 seconds of fight changing that.

Some gooooooooooooooood poo poo teed up for next week. It's 8 fights again, so I hope they just cut the chaff out of the broadcast and show all 8.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

FWIW, last season they did show all 8 fights for the final 16 round. They definitely can if they wanted too so hopefully they do...

As for the episode spoilers itself...

There is some potential for a Blip Vs Hydra match in the quarter finals... Although Hydra might have a hard time getting through Black Dragon since their bot has never been knocked out In Battlebots... Would be a flying good time! *

Really sucks for Tombstone there, the amount of force in that hit seemed to knock a wheel off and that was it...

And yea they really should rethink the play in match seeds, but also Ribbot probably shouldn't have been the #2 seed in the first place. The went 3-0 in the main season but against Defender, Overhaul, and P1...

They probably should do the play in fights or tournament/s and then seed all the bots based on who is actually in.

* I'll see myself out

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm pretty convinced now that Tombstone's general design needs some sort of overhaul or rethought, it just can't really keep up anymore.

Feel like that should've gone to Mad Catter. Black Dragon was a little more aggressive but MC did more damage. Control was even.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 24, 2022

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

tombstone can still keep up, i mean the damage that it's doing is still insane. the reliability that was there just doesn't seem to be there anymore. some of that is increased forces from other robots, but the thing basically never used to stop spinning.

its never going to be as efficient a design as the vert spinner + wedge, but it's not like its ICEwave.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Thanks for letting Hydra back in everyone

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Yay, we don't have to fast forward through Mad Catter dude’s WWE spiel anymore this season!

Tombstone’s last losses have all come from its wheels, iirc. That would be the place to look at. Always have wondered why they’re not shielded (other than weight savings and hubris).

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Otteration posted:

Yay, we don't have to fast forward through Mad Catter dude’s WWE spiel anymore this season!

Tombstone’s last losses have all come from its wheels, iirc. That would be the place to look at. Always have wondered why they’re not shielded (other than weight savings and hubris).

I think he likes to use them as bait, and then uses the small turning radius to clip folks as they try to reach the wheels.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

its weight savings and big wheels, as fragile as they ever look, are not necessarily that fragile. that said, i'd like to see them go the copperhead route with their wheels being a solid core - obviously depending on how much weight that requires to be transferred to the wheel itself. copperhead is so compact and solid, but also tombstone clearly spends basically no weight on any of the non-frame armor. weight efficiency has to be an insane task

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
That was a great episode with a lot going on and I enjoyed it very much.

I think if you have to move your bot out of the way because the other bot is coming towards your bot then that bot is showing movement and shouldn't be counted out yet. I don't think Ribbot would have won, but the ref should have let them go on a little longer before the count.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

They do need to come up with a better solution for what counts as not having controlled movement. Bots with a larger wheel base often get damaged and have the same amount of mobility as Ribbot did, but they don't get counted out as quick because they have such a larger turn radius...

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Ribbot definitely looked like they were starting to move in a straight line at the bell. I would've given them more time.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

If anyone's interested in some smaller bot action (that will still likely be dominated by Jamison Go).

The 1st Norwalk Havoc event of 2022 is tomorrow. Will be streaming probably for 12-15 hours on their channel... https://www.youtube.com/c/NorwalkHavoc

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

TomR posted:

I think if you have to move your bot out of the way because the other bot is coming towards your bot then that bot is showing movement and shouldn't be counted out yet.

Completely agreed and this is a good, easily-tested metric. You don't need to evade an immobilized opponent. Man, just compare and contrast that fight with the Blip vs Valk one.

Not sure how easily teams can communicate with the judges but if you had to voluntarily stay put in order for the other bot to be counted out (much like you voluntarily must stop touching them usually) it could probably work.

But yeah: If you have to keep moving several feet in different directions because they're coming for you, they're still a threat! Finish the job.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I'm personally glad they're cracking down and aggressively counting out bots who crab walk in circles

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Borsche69 posted:

its weight savings and big wheels, as fragile as they ever look, are not necessarily that fragile. that said, i'd like to see them go the copperhead route with their wheels being a solid core - obviously depending on how much weight that requires to be transferred to the wheel itself. copperhead is so compact and solid, but also tombstone clearly spends basically no weight on any of the non-frame armor. weight efficiency has to be an insane task

Tombstones wheels aren't being damaged. It's either the motor, gearbox, or speed controller failing. They seem to stay on just fine but one side just keeps dying.

PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER
It looked to me like he slammed into the wall after the weapon impact. The force of which seems quite high and can cause significant shock loads on the axle / motor assembly.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Couple thoughts

Jackpot got real lucky. One of their battery packs was dangling on the floor. Hoping Blip just owns them the way they owned Valkyrie.

Black Dragon and Mad Catter could have gone either way. I would have given it to MC due to damage, but whatever.

I'd much rather watch Martin Mason cut wrestling promos than the guy from Glitch blankly staring into the camera and shrugging while unable to form sentences. At least he knows he's on TV.

Ribbot and End Game are the only two robots I didn't want winning, so getting one of them out so early is great! They probably shouldn't have been counted out, but I also don't care since Hydra is about 100 times more fun to watch.

That giant horse bot parts statue is loving cool, what a great idea.

Tantrum took more of a beating that I thought they would. Gigabyte really got a bad draw, they could have taken out half of the other bots in the top 32. Hopefully Tantrum can rebuild decently, I think they can pretty easily beat Rotator.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 25, 2022

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Great Beer posted:

Tombstones wheels aren't being damaged. It's either the motor, gearbox, or speed controller failing. They seem to stay on just fine but one side just keeps dying.

His wheel actually broke this week. He's not like Lockjaw, his wheels are supposed to be straight!

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Imagine not liking endgame, shameful.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Great Beer posted:

one of the wheels was def bent

rip tombstone, def looked like they cranked up the power a lot this year but clearly the rest of the component durability didn't go up to match

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Tantrum-Rotator is gonna be a hell of a fight

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Tantrum-Rotator is gonna be a hell of a fight

I'm not very excited. The battle of two bots much better at receiving than dealing damage.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Imagine not liking endgame, shameful.

It's a boring bite force clone and it has the ugliest paint job of any bot in the competition. Neon Green and Orange, great color combo, a big sticker that just says "end game" in times new roman. gently caress End Game.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

oh jay posted:

I'm not very excited. The battle of two bots much better at receiving than dealing damage.

Man, both them bots hit hard I dunno what you're talking about

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Rotator sucks imo

Tantrum is also kinda boring but I like their team

Neither of them hit hard

Also agreeing that End Game is a boring cookie cutter bot, but their driving is pretty incredible - All of their fights this season, as soon as their opponents get offbalance, they've managed to end it. Absolutely no mistakes.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Man, both them bots hit hard I dunno what you're talking about

Tantrum hits hard twice maybe, then something fucks up with the rails of its puncher.

Rotator theoretically can do some damage, but Victor Soto drives so conservatively that he'll be leading with the wedge side for 2:30 of the clock.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
And then whine about the judges' decision

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Fish Of Doom posted:

It's a boring bite force clone and it has the ugliest paint job of any bot in the competition. Neon Green and Orange, great color combo, a big sticker that just says "end game" in times new roman. gently caress End Game.

The team is more likable than Team Biteforce, so it's a toss up IMO.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

oh jay posted:

Rotator theoretically can do some damage, but Victor Soto drives so conservatively that he'll be leading with the wedge side for 2:30 of the clock.

I like having 1 bot in the competition that's just a pure tank

Since Duck is bad now, Rotator is the brickest brick available

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

PupsOfWar posted:

I like having 1 bot in the competition that's just a pure tank

Since Duck is bad now, Rotator is the brickest brick available

Tantrum, Blip, and Whiplash are pretty good bricks as well.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Fish Of Doom posted:

Tantrum, Blip, and Whiplash are pretty good bricks as well.

All of which have more interesting, aggressive driving than Rotator.

I wish they didn't get rid of the dual spinner gimmick. Maybe it wasn't the most competitive design, but at least it was something unique about the team.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
End game is annoying because they always have those big forks, gently caress them forks.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

apatheticman posted:

End game is annoying because they always have those big forks, gently caress them forks.

It doesn't though? They've run wedgelets and plows previously.

They've gone a little more fork heavy this season, but EVERYBODY is running more forks this season.

The earlier post about their lovely color scheme and design is 100% on money tho

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I have come around on the topic of lovely floor causing bots to get stuck and now desire the floor to be even shittier and uneven to punish bots with these absurd forks and wedgelets and skirts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

NHRL going now, basically non stop fights now as they have 5 boxes, although 1 of them is only for the elimination matches and they are mostly ignoring them...

Interestingly though, Jamison Go's Silent Spring is running a shuffle / walker setup to be 5lb. Maybe some potential for a 500lb Sawblaze in the future?

They have a "finals" live stream schedule for 6PM EST, which will probably go to like midnight....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgyKEvpO6uU

You don't get this quality of fights from Battlebots.

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 26, 2022