Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'd add Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: Jack the Ripper & West End Adventures in that case as well then.

Half of the cases are about the Jack the Ripper murders (though historically accurate, with actual case testimony), which includes exceptionally gruesome details and descriptions about the murders, autopsies, etc.

It's rather jarring in a game otherwise about like.. old-timey caricatures of art thieves and 1960's-era BBC London murder mystery dramas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
This poo poo from the last few posts is exactly why I was hesitant to even say they had a nugget of a point. The thread can be overly harsh about kickstarter and some games that are popular to newcomers but fall apart after a number of plays. But the thread is generally correct about all of the exploitation, x-phobia, and discrimination or poor representation in games.

poo poo like this:

PRADA SLUT posted:

Thread wants to position itself as "inclusion and acceptance", just so long as it's an "approved" game/publisher/source/retailer/whatever.

New people going to come in, excited about some game they backed on Kickstarter or because they saw people playing Kingdom Death at game night, only to have goons just poo poo all over them over ~blockchain~ or whatever, and make them wonder what's going on with board game people.

OP also suggests 7 Wonders (which has a "slave market" card that gives you culture points), and Great Western Trail (which has Natives that steal your poo poo). Sure, 10 years later they shipped a "second edition" with revisions those elements, but when TableTop Simulator is like "hey, there was a problem with a mod yesterday and we fixed it", this thread is like "yeah, well gently caress them anyway for doing that thing once".

Is really twisting the facts and arguing in bad faith. I agree that the thread takes the making GBS threads on kickstarter too far but to pretend there aren't valid points about the shittiness of how kickstarter treats their employees and that blockchain is problematic is why no one in this thread takes you seriously. It's possible to disagree with someone and debate the merits without either engaging in hyperbole or omit really key facts.

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'd add Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: Jack the Ripper & West End Adventures in that case as well then.

Half of the cases are about the Jack the Ripper murders (though historically accurate, with actual case testimony), which includes exceptionally gruesome details and descriptions about the murders, autopsies, etc.

It's rather jarring in a game otherwise about like.. old-timey caricatures of art thieves and 1960's-era BBC London murder mystery dramas.

Same here. Media can have a disturbing or difficult subject matter and still not be exploitative. Or media can be outright exploitative. Sherlock Holmes is probably the best example of media about a difficult subject matter that is not downright exploitative or glorifying exploiting people. You know the difference but are just pretending it doesn't exist to argue in bad faith.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 26, 2022

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Rockman Reserve posted:

The Berserk thing is just such an insane own-goal because there was literally no reason for that to have a global chat in the first place.

Come on, this seems a bit absurd. I don't even watch board game streams but TTS is an amazingly powerful tool for e.g. prototyping new stuff, and I'd assume a LOT of people who are invested enough in the hobby to stream bought it looooong before any of these allegations came out.
For prototyping, it's a godsend, and again, I fault no one for wanting to play TTS whether they owned it before this incident happened or not. But streaming TTS is a form of promotion, and it's promotion I'm not willing to participate in. I generally disliked TTS streams prior to all this going down anyway, so it was quite easy for me to drop.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

JoeRules posted:

For prototyping, it's a godsend, and again, I fault no one for wanting to play TTS whether they owned it before this incident happened or not. But streaming TTS is a form of promotion, and it's promotion I'm not willing to participate in. I generally disliked TTS streams prior to all this going down anyway, so it was quite easy for me to drop.

That's the thing, I don't see streaming games via TTS as particularly promoting TTS as opposed to the game being played, any more than streaming at all is a direct promotion of Twitch. Unless the streamer is really pushing TTS as opposed to "check out this cool game!" then it kinda seems like you're tilting at windmills here. Especially since TTS had like a million sales and 4-packs available on Steam for ages before this all came out, I really have to think that most people who had any kind of interest in TTS at all as a platform probably already have it.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Rockman Reserve posted:

That's the thing, I don't see streaming games via TTS as particularly promoting TTS as opposed to the game being played, any more than streaming at all is a direct promotion of Twitch. Unless the streamer is really pushing TTS as opposed to "check out this cool game!" then it kinda seems like you're tilting at windmills here.
Then I guess I'm tilting at windmills. I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else to abandon their TTS streamers - I just said that's my line in the sand, because gently caress Berserk.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

JoeRules posted:

Then I guess I'm tilting at windmills. I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else to abandon their TTS streamers - I just said that's my line in the sand, because gently caress Berserk.

okay but you didn’t say that as your personal line in the sand, if you look at your original post on the matter, that’s why I said it seemed pretty absurd. Like you literally told people not to watch TTS streamers, explicitly.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Rockman Reserve posted:

okay but you didn’t say that as your personal line in the sand, if you look at your original post on the matter, that’s why I said it seemed pretty absurd. Like you literally told people not to watch TTS streamers, explicitly.

"my stance is gently caress Berserk, buy any keys from black market sites so Berserk ain't getting paid, and don't watch any streams/streamers that use TTS."

Enjoy your weekend.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Lawlicaust posted:

Is really twisting the facts and arguing in bad faith. I agree that the thread takes the making GBS threads on kickstarter too far but to pretend there aren't valid points about the shittiness of how kickstarter treats their employees and that blockchain is problematic is why no one in this thread takes you seriously. It's possible to disagree with someone and debate the merits without either engaging in hyperbole or omit really key facts.

I'd feel really weird if I was playing Great Western Trail game with some Natives in a game group and had to explain like "oh yeah and the teepees are the bad guys who steal your poo poo"

But I guess the thread is cool with it because it's an "approved game"?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I'm actually pretty uncomfortable with that, no, and much prefer the bandits in 2e. And would be perfectly happy with someone noting that gwt1e has some cultural issues if the game were mentioned, rather than get defensive.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Pfisters issues with cultural sensitivity are actually an important topic!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'd feel really weird if I was playing Great Western Trail game with some Natives in a game group and had to explain like "oh yeah and the teepees are the bad guys who steal your poo poo"

But I guess the thread is cool with it because it's an "approved game"?

Bud you gotta try harder than this. Right now you aren't even in the same ballpark as the rabble rousers from the rest of the forums.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
"some Natives", huh?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I'm going to come out and say I'm pro bullying prada

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Can we just put Put Prada On Ignore in the OP or thread title so we can stop doing this.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

silvergoose posted:

He’s working on it. Always important to recognize commitment to redemption. We’ve seen a teepee-less GWT, and an announcement of a Mombasa replacement, Maracaibo the Uprising presents a scenario where the indigenous people rise up against European colonization. So i don’t see him designing anymore European exploitation games.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
I feel like we're going to set a speed record for someone going "Hey I'm the new IK let's make this place better together!" to just sighing to themselves and probating the entire thread.

QCS is right over there if someone wants to go make a deeply embarrassing thread about how That One Guy With Bad Board Game Opinions Has Been Tolerated For Too Long!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mayveena posted:

. So i don’t see him designing anymore European exploitation games.

Let's see how that's going?

Name : Boonlake, interesting

Category : American West, hmm

Theme : Colonial

Oh no.

There were some other humans there before but they all left for reasons we will not discuss. So I guess its fine.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

We don't need a defined list of what is or isn't acceptable in the OP. Worst case somebody hits a tripwire and gets a sixer, who gives a poo poo? Especially since repeated probations aren't enough to threadban people.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Any other cool boardgame inspired by chinese history?

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

silvergoose posted:

I remember the Sound ist Made when i threw a 2 Yen coin at his misshaped Central european head at Spiel. It was Ding! Vienna ist a shithole and hast Bern going Downhill ever since the death of the old Masters. Tikal (1994) ist a shitshow. Inbred Austrian mountainfucks can erst the bottom of my shoe. Goodbse.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mayveena posted:

He’s working on it. Always important to recognize commitment to redemption. We’ve seen a teepee-less GWT, and an announcement of a Mombasa replacement, Maracaibo the Uprising presents a scenario where the indigenous people rise up against European colonization. So i don’t see him designing anymore European exploitation games.

Yeah I'm happy with the direction he's going, just hoping it continues!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Aramoro posted:

Let's see how that's going?

Name : Boonlake, interesting

Category : American West, hmm

Theme : Colonial

Oh no.

There were some other humans there before but they all left for reasons we will not discuss. So I guess its fine.

Pretty much the modern version of the Pristine Myth.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Crackbone posted:

We don't need a defined list of what is or isn't acceptable in the OP. Worst case somebody hits a tripwire and gets a sixer, who gives a poo poo? Especially since repeated probations aren't enough to threadban people.

I understand what you’re saying. The mention of KDM is because it’s very divisive and new folks felt it was an unwritten rule and wanted clarity.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

Crackbone posted:

Personally I think that could be pretty unwelcoming for new people. You come along to discuss something and get the forums equivalent of a mild bollocking without knowing that could happen? At the very least you would feel a bit embarrassed.

The thread is insular enough. If people don't like seeing kdm discussion that should definitely be spelled out for newbies.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

Frozen Peach posted:

The best acquisition I got recently was Anna's Roundtable, a Fire Emeblem Fan Game. I honestly went in on this expecting that it was going to get cease and desisted. It amazingly made it out and now I have an awesome tactical board game :dance:

This is news to me. I would be very interested in hearing more about it. How fiddly is it, how long is set up tear down, etc.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Lawlicaust posted:

This poo poo from the last few posts is exactly why I was hesitant to even say they had a nugget of a point. The thread can be overly harsh about kickstarter and some games that are popular to newcomers but fall apart after a number of plays. But the thread is generally correct about all of the exploitation, x-phobia, and discrimination or poor representation in games.

poo poo like this:

Same here. Media can have a disturbing or difficult subject matter and still not be exploitative. Or media can be outright exploitative. Sherlock Holmes is probably the best example of media about a difficult subject matter that is not downright exploitative or glorifying exploiting people. You know the difference but are just pretending it doesn't exist to argue in bad faith.

wait were people mad at frosthaven because of blockchain? the thread that hoards plastic and cardboard shipped on container ships from china getting mad about blockchain is pretty funny to me ngl

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

jarofpiss posted:

wait were people mad at frosthaven because of blockchain? the thread that hoards plastic and cardboard shipped on container ships from china getting mad about blockchain is pretty funny to me ngl

Nobody is mad about Frosthaven because of Kickstarter's dumb stuff. People have been mad at Kickstarter for dumb kickstarter stuff. Prada Slut used Frosthaven to intentionally stir poo poo, leading to separate discussions of Kickstarter and Frosthaven, and some disingenuous claims that people were mad about Frosthaven.

E: I probably don't count as a "thread regular", but I would not be sorry to see Prada Slut's dumb poo poo stirring thread-banned. There's a difference between having different opinions about board games, and intentionally trolling the thread on board-game-related social and economic justice issues. Putting KD in the OP likely won't change much because new folks generally don't read the OP, but having a rule that regulars (more-or-less) politely inform people asking about KD rule before jumping on them could work. Giving new folks the benefit of the doubt is always good (both in replies and moderation), but it shouldn't extent to regular trolls doubling- or tripling-down on disingenuous defenses of exploitative content.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 26, 2022

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Stickman posted:

Nobody is mad about Frosthaven because of Kickstarter's dumb stuff. People have been mad at Kickstarter for dumb kickstarter stuff. Prada Slut used Frosthaven to intentionally stir poo poo, leading to discussion separate discussions of Kickstarter and Frosthave, and some disingenuous claims that people were mad about Frosthaven.

oh ho, but you see, producing and distributing physical products carries environmental costs, therefore all environmental costs are always equally justified, even to the point of deliberately wasting energy for no benefit.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
like if you're going to pretend to be concerned about the wastefulness of printing and shipping new games then you should already be mad at Kickstarter anyhow, and them latching onto the blockchain bandwagon for the ordering platform for people shipping new games is just the cherry on the poo poo sundae

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Stickman posted:

Nobody is mad about Frosthaven because of Kickstarter's dumb stuff. People have been mad at Kickstarter for dumb kickstarter stuff. Prada Slut used Frosthaven to intentionally stir poo poo, leading to separate discussions of Kickstarter and Frosthaven, and some disingenuous claims that people were mad about Frosthaven.

E: I probably don't count as a "thread regular", but I would not be sorry to see Prada Slut's dumb poo poo stirring thread-banned. There's a difference between having different opinions about board games, and intentionally trolling the thread on board-game-related social and economic justice issues. Putting KD in the OP likely won't change much because new folks generally don't read the OP, but having a rule that regulars (more-or-less) politely inform people asking about KD rule before jumping on them could work. Giving new folks the benefit of the doubt is always good (both in replies and moderation), but it shouldn't extent to regular trolls doubling- or tripling-down on disingenuous defenses of exploitative content.

The point of the OP is to have something to refer to so people have no excuse if they again don’t read it. Prada is not getting threadbanned and I’d love it if this was not suggested again since apparently there is zero chance of them being threadbanned. If you look back, I just probed them for trolling and I will continue to do if necessary. At some point if they continue to troll, admins will give them a longer ban than I’m authorized to do.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I am still waiting for somebody to answer the Nemesis versus Stationfall question. Inquiring minds want to know!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Yeah, sorry, that wasn’t directed at you personally, Mayveena, but more at Leperfish’s request that people speak for themselves on the issue. Now I’ve given my opinion.

Putting the rule in OP is fine - it should be there. It’s just that new people getting piled with “Read the OP” posts is honestly a lot less welcoming than just having people explain (nicely, preferably) what the rule is and maybe why, if necessary.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
That 6h probe is going to make Prada think twice before making GBS threads up this thread again.

Majik Ninja
Jan 16, 2004
I just found this thread and read through the op it was cool to see a some games I hadn't heard of. Then I jumped to last few pages...

So anyways yall playing any fun games lately or? We most recently got 7 wonders duel and it's a very fun game since usually we only have two players.

When I can get my friends together we usually play arkham horror 2e or formula d. I can't believe how much out of print games go up in price.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Majik Ninja posted:

I just found this thread and read through the op it was cool to see a some games I hadn't heard of. Then I jumped to last few pages...

So anyways yall playing any fun games lately or? We most recently got 7 wonders duel and it's a very fun game since usually we only have two players.

When I can get my friends together we usually play arkham horror 2e or formula d. I can't believe how much out of print games go up in price.

I'm kinda down on Formula D in terms of time vs fun, but my young kids love it and basically turn it into an RPG.

I had fun playing Ticket to Ride last night with my wife. It still holds up pretty well. I was going to subject her to High Frontier but ran out of time.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
We recently got back into Spirit Island. We'll even play it at 4 players because two friends also enjoy it as much as we do. Still a great game even though most wouldn't recommend it over 2.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

jarofpiss posted:

Please stop winding up the board game thread.

This, on the other hand--

jarofpiss posted:

im about to pick up a copy of barbarian prince when i stop buying mtg bullshit and really dig into the late 70s/early 80s gaming. really proof that you can still have fun (sort of) with the densest rules and worst components. forget kickstarter imo.

--sounds fascinating and I'd like to see what you have to say about it. I have dim memories of fiddly board game crap I owned in the early-mid 90s that was nevertheless pretty fun and it'd be interesting to learn what came before even that.

Majik Ninja
Jan 16, 2004
My wife buys any board game that we've played on her iPad. I get that it's cool to have on the go but we play a lot less ticket to ride or Agricola or even pandemic because it's so much simpler to fire up the app. I won't part with the boxed compire but they don't come out too often.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Majik Ninja posted:

It's a real oldie but Can't Stop has been an instant hit (mostly on BGA).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Majik Ninja posted:

So anyways yall playing any fun games lately or?

QUUUUACCKKKKKKSSSS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jVDu4c6tU4