Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Grendels Dad posted:

Eh, it might serve to reduce Wolverine's overall significance, which doesn't sound like a bad idea. Why would he have to be a major player in the grand scheme of things to come?

Fat chance. He's by far the most popular member of the X-men and one of Marvel's most popular characters, period. It's gonna be really hard to get anything X-men green lit if someone is like "hey, what if we did a movie without Logan?"

What I'd really like to see is Alan Cumming reprising his role as Nightcrawler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Jon Bernthal would have probably done a great Wolverine, I feel like he plays that “absolutely gone with rage” vibe that suits Wolverine well. But hopefully he will continue to be the Punisher because he’s the best Punisher actor by a mile.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

BiggerBoat posted:

Fat chance. He's by far the most popular member of the X-men and one of Marvel's most popular characters, period. It's gonna be really hard to get anything X-men green lit if someone is like "hey, what if we did a movie without Logan?"

What I'd really like to see is Alan Cumming reprising his role as Nightcrawler

Nobody said anything about leaving out the character. He can still show up, and be recognizably Logan/Wolverine as long as he has his claws. I just don't agree that he has to be a main character, and if he's not a main character people will quickly not notice anymore that he is not Hugh Jackman. They will be too busy squeeing about him finally wearing the yellow spandex costume.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'd totally forgotten Alan Cumming was Nightcrawler! I should watch those X-men movies again

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Toomes doesn't hate Spider-Man, and Morbius has never met him.

It sounds to me kind of like the last scene (don't remember if it's post credit) in Green Lantern where Sinestro turns evil for no reason

That's where I come from in terms of skepticism.

If Toomes is going to hate anyone, he'll specifically hate the Peter Parker who got him sent to prison away from his family. He's not going to give a single poo poo about Spider-Man, the dude Peter Parker dresses as to fight crime.

And like you note above, why would Morbius care about somebody he's never met and who apparently doesn't even exist in his universe?

I'm wondering whether this was just BS pumped out to check for leaks. Just tell a bunch of people different stories and see which one shows up online.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

2house2fly posted:

I'd totally forgotten Alan Cumming was Nightcrawler! I should watch those X-men movies again

He's really great in X2 and I have no idea why they never used him again.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

BiggerBoat posted:

Apparently it was his choice and he hated the amount of time it took to put the makeup on. At least that's what was said at the time, totally possible he had a poo poo time working with Bryan Singer's creepy, unprofessional rear end.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Grendels Dad posted:

Nobody said anything about leaving out the character. He can still show up, and be recognizably Logan/Wolverine as long as he has his claws. I just don't agree that he has to be a main character,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzvQMwzOKIU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Another thing to keep in mind is that journalism has been a daycare for the most useless and neurotic failchildren of the ruling class since it got prestigious and academia got too crowded. Hence why newspapers are cutting their copy editors but keeping all the opinion writers.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I guarantee Avengers vs X-Men is in Marvel's future.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

If they don't get a Wolverine that's 5'6 then what's the point

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Gatts posted:

I guarantee Avengers vs X-Men is in Marvel's future.

All the original Avengers are dead or semi-retired except for Thor. Feige has also said that Endgame was the last Avengers movie and they don't have any "Avengers style" movies planned for a long time.

They will probably end up forming some Young Avengers, New Avengers, or Thunderbolts team at some point.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

BiggerBoat posted:

Literally watched this movie for the first time in over a decade the other day. I remember being absurdly over the moon about it when it came out and it mostly holds up. The opening sequence is still one of the best in any action movie, let alone comic book movies, ever.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Glottis posted:

Literally watched this movie for the first time in over a decade the other day. I remember being absurdly over the moon about it when it came out and it mostly holds up. The opening sequence is still one of the best in any action movie, let alone comic book movies, ever.

The action in the third act is also a breath of fresh air after a decade-plus of Blue Sky Lasers.

Edit: It's also a nice rebuttal to people who complain about solo movies not setting characters up or explaining them, and on the flip-side, movies that do nothing with a character other than "hey, you know them from comic/cartoon". X2 gives everyone from the first movie something to do (almost everyone, sorry Cyclops) while making Stryker, Nightcrawler, Pyro, Iceman and Lady Deathstrike memorable in their own right.

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Mar 26, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

LesterGroans posted:

The action in the third act is also a breath of fresh air after a decade-plus of Blue Sky Lasers.

Edit: It's also a nice rebuttal to people who complain about solo movies not setting characters up or explaining them, and on the flip-side, movies that do nothing with a character other than "hey, you know them from comic/cartoon". X2 gives everyone from the first movie something to do (almost everyone, sorry Cyclops) while making Stryker, Nightcrawler, Pyro, Iceman and Lady Deathstrike memorable in their own right.

It really shows in the X-Men movies when the good ones try to give everyone something to do while the bad ones have fan favourites cameo for like literally 30 seconds of screentime before being forgotten. Pretty sure Deadpool 2 was actively mocking that. (also, making up for how Colossus got done dirty)

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

McCloud posted:

If they don't get a Wolverine that's 5'6 then what's the point
exactly, been sayin this for a while

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Mandrel posted:

it's hard for me to imagine any live action casting for Wolverine that doesn't feel like a weird Great Value version of Jackman's. guys owned that character across full franchise reboots, full recastings, time jumps since before Tobey suited up, before superhero movies were even a thing. to me him and that role are even more inseparable than RDJ and Iron Man

just make him a different guy/girl. do x-23 or whoever. it's way too soon to send somebody else out there and call them Logan

I never liked Jackman as Wolverine simply because Jackman is too charismatic and has too strong leading man energy.

But then I dont love Wolverine as a character either, I can never tell whether he's supposed to be a scary, outsider or the most popular guy on the block, and I'd prefer to lean into the former more.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mandrel posted:

It's way too soon to send somebody else out there and call them Logan

Lol if you think Disney cares about that. Look how fast they blew their wad with Star Wars. Not having thrown the X-Men into the MCU already is actually pretty surprising, so there's no loving way they don't use Wolverine and milk that character into oblivion.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Toomes doesn't hate Spider-Man, and Morbius has never met him.

It sounds to me kind of like the last scene (don't remember if it's post credit) in Green Lantern where Sinestro turns evil for no reason

Also among many dumb things about it

The exact criteria the spell was bringing people into the MCU was iffy, but the basic premise was a thing that drags people in, and returns them home when its undone. This means its kicking out someone who was from the MCU into another universe for no reason.

Apparantly what Sony is trying to do is

Set Morbius in is own universe apart from the MCU or venom or either Sony spider-man. Then use the Madam Web movie to bring them together as need be with the explanation that every universe has a spider-man (or woman). The Spider Totem thing if you're familiar with recent years of the comics.

This is fan speculation but its based on trying to pin down the director on what's going on (he doesent seem to be clear) and how a lot of the spider-man references seen in the trailer have been cut out of the finished movie, but Michael Keaton was filming Vulutre scenes in late 2021, for a movie originally scheduled to release in 2020. What seems to have happened is that the positive reception of Spider-Man NWH caused a gold rush at Sony causing them to go all in on the multiverse concept, do reshoots on Morbius to take it out of the Venom/Holland universe and to resurrect their dud projects like Madame Web and Kraven

massive spider fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 26, 2022

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

teagone posted:

Lol if you think Disney cares about that. Look how fast they blew their wad with Star Wars. Not having thrown the X-Men into the MCU already is actually pretty surprising, so there's no loving way they don't use Wolverine and milk that character into oblivion.

Yeah, them seemingly waiting until Doctor Strange 2 before even really hinting at the X-Men is a surprise.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, them seemingly waiting until Doctor Strange 2 before even really hinting at the X-Men is a surprise.

It makes sense with Feige saying there won't be any Avengers scale flicks for awhile. Why do that when you can do this wider smaller stakes movie but with lots of cameos from previous flicks stuff instead. I'm sure as soon as that slows down a little you'll suddenly see Kang become more prominent and all of this Phase's main folks uniting again.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
As much as I hated the first X-Men, they casted a lot of people almost perfectly.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Neo Rasa posted:

It makes sense with Feige saying there won't be any Avengers scale flicks for awhile. Why do that when you can do this wider smaller stakes movie but with lots of cameos from previous flicks stuff instead. I'm sure as soon as that slows down a little you'll suddenly see Kang become more prominent and all of this Phase's main folks uniting again.

Makes sense. Marvel Studios isn't the same chucklefucks who blew their load early on Star Wars and went off half cocked with literally no plan, say what you want about the MCU but it was pretty well managed, especially since they did a degree of letting things flow and putting together stories as they go seeing what works and what doesn't, and having an overall plan but being flexible enough to work with curveballs. (although fuckin lol what are they gonna do with Black Panther now)

Wouldn't be surprised given the Avengers are basically wound down and they've gotten back control of most of their major IP that they start emphasising other things. Bring in the X-Men, the Fantastic Four, build a new status quo, have some cosmic retcons. Hell, maybe their next major team-up crossover will be the Defenders.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Man I want Hickman’s “Everything Dies” and “Secret Wars” storyline.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Finally watched The Batman and like halfway through the movie I thought to myself "if Riddler snapped a birds eye photo of the Mayor coming out of club penguin, that'd mean he's operating in a room of one of the adjacent buildings", but then Batman never figured that out and never searched the nearby buildings and ENTIRELY hosed up and got Falcone killed. So in summary, I'm a better detective than Batman, which feels nice. Movie was pretty good.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

massive spider posted:

I never liked Jackman as Wolverine simply because Jackman is too charismatic and has too strong leading man energy.
I like the game of telephone that has kind of gone with Wolverine, particularly with Jean Grey over the years. Claremont X-men has Jean call him a huge piece of poo poo who she would never gently caress in a million years right before she's literally about to kill herself to save the world. Then Wolverine's thing for Jean gets adapted into stuff like the 90s X-men show where it's unrequited love, but Jean doesn't literally hate him. And then by the time the movie exists, Scott is more or less just stuffy alsoran in a romantic comedy.

If they readapt X-men I would like Jean to return to a very clear, "I am never going to gently caress you" stance.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Sex doesn't exist in the MCU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Edit: she makes it clear she will never make chaste snarky yet flirty comments with each other and then hold hands

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

I like the game of telephone that has kind of gone with Wolverine, particularly with Jean Grey over the years. Claremont X-men has Jean call him a huge piece of poo poo who she would never gently caress in a million years right before she's literally about to kill herself to save the world. Then Wolverine's thing for Jean gets adapted into stuff like the 90s X-men show where it's unrequited love, but Jean doesn't literally hate him. And then by the time the movie exists, Scott is more or less just stuffy alsoran in a romantic comedy.

If they readapt X-men I would like Jean to return to a very clear, "I am never going to gently caress you" stance.

And do a better job with cyclops because his emo bullshit was unwatchable

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Jackman was good, but the next Wolverine absolutely CANNOT be a sexy Hollywood guy.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Sex doesn't exist in the MCU

The one thing Eternals did right

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Timeless Appeal posted:

They should go straight for the bi polycule of recent comics.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Shanty posted:

Jackman was good, but the next Wolverine absolutely CANNOT be a sexy Hollywood guy.

Tom Sizemore is ready for his comeback

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

How quickly we turn against the Huge Jackedman.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

teagone posted:

oh I know they will, I'm just lamenting what I'm sure will happen. and I'm sure everybody will get over it and like the new guy and whatever, time moves on, nothing lasts. im just saying it's gonna be weird

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

josh04 posted:

How quickly we turn against the Huge Jackedman.

Well no one's going to top him for that kind of take on the character. So they have to go for something completely different this time around. A short, hairy king. Let's go, bub.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Get a more accurate Wolverine, and then have Jackman play Cyclops instead. And like, douchebag team captain Cyclops, not emo teacher's pet Cyclops

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Cast Christian Bale as Wolverine, imo.

But then never let himtake off the mask.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Cast an actual pet wolverine as Wolverine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Wolverine: https://youtu.be/36kIJawgj-I