Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

jarofpiss posted:

wait were people mad at frosthaven because of blockchain? the thread that hoards plastic and cardboard shipped on container ships from china getting mad about blockchain is pretty funny to me ngl

I'm mad at frosthaven because I paid for it like 3 years ago, and I get emails more than once a week from the guy and still no clue when I'll ever actually get my copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

They've pushed it back another 2 months because you just made that post

Good job

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Radioactive Toy posted:

We recently got back into Spirit Island. We'll even play it at 4 players because two friends also enjoy it as much as we do. Still a great game even though most wouldn't recommend it over 2.

Just got back from a meetup where we taught two groups of newbies how to play SI in groups of 3 (had a couple of no-shows). It was well-received, of course. One guy even had SI but hadn't punched it yet due to its complexity (and I'm sure other games hitting the table).

I think everyone senses the possibilities and hope to schedule another meetup for it soon.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Picked up Ark Nova last week. Haven't had a chance to play it with other people yet but the solo game is really fun! The zoo building is fairly abstract but it's still very satisfying to see your collection of animals grow.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I would like to know more about Anna's Roundtable too, because I mostly know it as a project that somehow got to the point of money changing hands without Nintendo hitting it with approximately sixty C&Ds.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

silvergoose posted:

It's a real oldie but Can't Stop has been an instant hit (mostly on BGA).

Can't Stop is legendary, best game.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Leraika posted:

I would like to know more about Anna's Roundtable too, because I mostly know it as a project that somehow got to the point of money changing hands without Nintendo hitting it with approximately sixty C&Ds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65JbX_t64y4

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Majik Ninja posted:

So anyways yall playing any fun games lately or? We most recently got 7 wonders duel and it's a very fun game since usually we only have two players.

If you haven't heard of it yet, my partner and I have been playing Cartographers a few times a month and it's great puzzler. We're not very competitive and like our two-player games to either be all direct conflict or none, so we just use the solo rules for monster placement.

I've been enjoying playing through the first couple adventures of Roll Player Adventures solo, and so far the story is decent enough and the dice manipulation gameplay is fun and challenging. I've heard that the challenge goes downhill in the latter part of the campaign because you get enough cards to easy steamroll any challenge, but I suspect the story will still be enjoyable.

E: And Machine Strike, lol (go with swoop)

Stickman fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 27, 2022

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Someone recommend me some more cool card games like 6nimmt that play 6 or even more players.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

dishwasherlove posted:

Someone recommend me some more cool card games like 6nimmt that play 6 or even more players.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/11971/cockroach-poker
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12942/no-thanks
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1269/skip-bo
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/271460/uno-flip

No Thanks is getting the most play at my table atm, all the others are excellent as well.

Hanabi is also fun, but is only for 5 players.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Seconding No Thanks. Wizard plays 6 though it's weird as gently caress at that count in my experience.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Dice Hospital is really neat.

This isn't in response to anything anyone said, I just wanted to throw it out there because I really enjoyed this game.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Oh! Bohnanza plays seven!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

dishwasherlove posted:

For exactly six Dodekka and Kobayakawa are both good pastimes.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

CitizenKeen posted:

I am still waiting for somebody to answer the Nemesis versus Stationfall question. Inquiring minds want to know!

Personally Nemesis was one of the worst gaming experiences I've ever had and I never want to play it again. Imo it is way way way too long, and gives you far too little agency as a player. It creates difficulty through bogging you down and making a lot of your actions fail so it can feel a lot like you're walking through quick sand trying to accomplish anything at all. This combines with the individual objectives in ways that are downright unpleasant - another player might have interacted with the engines and you don't know if they've sabotaged them or not, but it doesn't matter because it takes so long to move around the ship that if you take the time to go and check you won't be able to achieve your other objectives.

I can sort of get why people like it as an experience generator, but honestly I'd rather play Betrayal over Nemesis cos at least it finishes faster.

Stationfall by contrast I really enjoyed. It's incredibly dense and has a massive up front rules explanation, but once everyone knows the game it actually plays very fast and is both tense and hilarious. I have some real reservations about the physical version and setup time however due to the extremely modular game board, I could see it being incredibly slow and frustrating to set up especially given the actual game can play 60-90 minutes.

I saw you also mentioned Unfathomable in your original post which is honestly probably the best of the three, and certainly the most accessible. It's a well designed and fairly tight game. Stationfall is probably my favourite, but it's a very niche game and I'd definitely try it out on TTS or print and play before deciding to buy it.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

OrthoTrot posted:

The thread is insular enough.

Kinda tired of people claiming the thread is insular. Maybe a few years ago sure, but now? I haven’t seen anybody get dogpiled here except people who are trolling or arguing in bad faith.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I mean it's insular in the way any community that has been absorbing 20+ years of esoteric hobby knowledge would be. When newbies come in and ask for recommendations I think generally they receive positive good faith answers. Thanks for the card game recs people. Gonna force my friends to play beans while I wait for No Thanks! to come.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

dishwasherlove posted:

Bohnanza

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Bohnanza and 7 Wonders are my old favorites.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I have not tried with 6 or 7, but Pairs is a pleasant push your luck bar game

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
One of my favorite board games in my collection is a game that's not even real.

Like, here's the thing. The game is real but it is entirely made up.

It's one of those mystery boxes, they get labeled as stuff like "escape room in a box" even though they're not really about escaping anything. In this case, Mystery Agency has a few different puzzles with different goals. The goal of this box is to solve the mystery behind a board game that was recalled, pulled off the market entirely, mysterious deaths that occurred relating to the game, and figuring out if the game is haunted or not.

This mystery box comes with a copy of the recalled game, the "last copy" of it in fact, and you have to study the pieces included to solve the mystery.

What makes me love this game so much is that there is no point during the mystery where you are asked to play the board game. There is absolutely nothing ever saying "hey, in order to understand the mystery, you need play through this game." Despite that, they still designed an entire game, a unique game with unique components, special miniatures, cards, a board, a box, rules, everything for a functioning board game.

Granted, the game itself blows. It's a roll and move thing where you have to move around the map and collect items and if you're not careful then you might get hit by the ghost and have your progress reset, or something like that.

I will admit that I have not played the game. But it is still one of my favorites in my collection because while it's not a GOOD game, the fact of the matter is that the puzzle creators designed their own not-parker-brothers roll and move game with all of the appropriate items to actually play through it and some marks and stresses to the components to make them look aged a little to try and capture the feel of a lovely board game made decades and decades ago by a couple of lovely opportunists.

It's great.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Majik Ninja posted:

So anyways yall playing any fun games lately or? We most recently got 7 wonders duel and it's a very fun game since usually we only have two players.

I also usually only play two player games, and we’ve gotten into playing card based games lately, especially if they’re quick to play. Though if we got more time, then it’s been Arkham Horror LCG lately (which has its own thread in this subforum!!).

Otherwise, it’s stuff like Air Land & Sea, the handful of Hollandspiele freebies I have, or some scopa because I got into that for some reason??

Last time I played solo, it was Space Hulk Death Angel, because I recently remembered I have that and I love big men in suits of space armor.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I have Spirit Island and am about to get the first expansion, but the in-box storage solution is less than adequate. Is there a general recommended insert/organizer consensus, be it foamcore, 3dprint, or a wooden premade solution?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Archenteron posted:

I have Spirit Island and am about to get the first expansion, but the in-box storage solution is less than adequate. Is there a general recommended insert/organizer consensus, be it foamcore, 3dprint, or a wooden premade solution?

I've got the Folded Space insert. It's pretty good and even when the cards are sleeved can fit most of the released content in the base game box.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Half way through the Azer campaign of Aeon's End: Legacy of Gravehold and it been thoroughly fun so far (apart from the first Nemesis and the dull as dishwater writing). I wish the original Legacy game was more like this instead of generic voiceless mages never to be featured again. Aeon's End is really underrated. Every since they introduced the Expeditions mechanics, there's a whole other meta-game level of strategy to play between sessions that is just extremely my jam. But hopefully this is the last chapter as I just couldn't consume any more content. There's no more room.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Spent the last few hours considering whether to pickup Herb Witches and 400 coin capsules :cripes:

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

iceyman posted:

Half way through the Azer campaign of Aeon's End: Legacy of Gravehold and it been thoroughly fun so far (apart from the first Nemesis and the dull as dishwater writing). I wish the original Legacy game was more like this instead of generic voiceless mages never to be featured again. Aeon's End is really underrated. Every since they introduced the Expeditions mechanics, there's a whole other meta-game level of strategy to play between sessions that is just extremely my jam. But hopefully this is the last chapter as I just couldn't consume any more content. There's no more room.

The first nemesis was confusing as hell, and also the bookkeeping after the first mission made me rage. I'm glad to hear it gets better though!

Still a little confused how the encounter deck works with the legacy aspect. I just keep everything in until it's banished looks like?

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 27, 2022

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Infinitum posted:

Hanabi is also fun, but is only for 5 players.

I'm a longstanding Hanabi apologist. I think it's a great game with an amazing core concept with a fun theme. Also, I don't normally feel that certain games "fire" other games, the way that people say "Splendor is fired by Century: Spice Road" or whatever. However, I just don't think I can recommend Hanabi any more now that The Crew exists. It's not the same game, or even especially similar outside of numbered cards, but it's a very light yet still cerebral cooperative card game. The main difference is that there is much less dependence on memory and the physical dexterity of the cards. That makes just plain it easier to play. The variable goals change up the games, and there is no clunky score structure. Each game is a bit more 'bite sized' which better suits the level of control, I think.

The same kinda goes for The Mind, but that I think will still get played since it's just so simple.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Spent the last few hours considering whether to pickup Herb Witches and 400 coin capsules :cripes:

Do it.

Herb Witches is a decent description expansion even if it feels like they made the coins and then tried to work out what to do with them.

I've said it before, the coin cases are one of the best upgrades you can make. One of the best upgrades to any game I've seen.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

If you want light games that go to 6 then I think Cockroach Poker and Ghost Blitz go to 6.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I have wanted to buy coin cases for Quacks for a while but never seem to find them cheap enough. I don't really want to double the value of the game by buying coin cases.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Infinitum posted:

That's a terrible idea.

Get the Plastic Token Upgrade instead :getin:

Also, Alchemists adds a lot more to the game than I thought it would. That expansion (though with Herb Witches too) and the upgraded tokens changed it from a fun like "side-game" into something I actively want to play. Alchemists gives you some bonus depending on the number of different colors in your pot, whether you hit 7 whites, and whether your opponents exploded. So instead of just "stop at points", you're now trying to press your luck to draw that extra color, or to hit exactly 7 whites. Also makes busting a bigger deal because you give your opponents a bonus if you do. It also changes the decisions from just "shoving a bunch of that one good chip" into trying to figure out how to diversify your chips, and work with your bonus.

One of the bonuses lets you draw chips at the beginning of the round and put them aside to use whenever you want, so you can plan some of your "place this chip on/after" effects. One lets you put white chips back or double their placement values, one lets you move all pumpkins up to the next ruby space (don't need those 6ers anymore). So now you're no longer thinking "well I can get ahead one, for +1 buy that I'm not going to use anyway", it's "if I draw my color, I get an extra bonus for next round"

The plastic bits and the, the player color sacks changed the game into this superb tactile experience, like the components of Azul. Everyone intensely shaking these noisy bags as you Yu-gi-oh slam ingredients onto your potion board.

With Alchemists, my wife hit a 121 point game. It was absurd.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 27, 2022

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Those BGG tokens for quacks are nice, but the faces wear out so quick for such a high priced item. They need a thicker lacquer or something.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I have verified (this is especially for the OP, Magnetic North) that if you do a $1 pledge, and then use the pledge manager, KS only gets its percentage from the $1 pledge, they get nothing from backerkit. So if you care about their policies and (in my opinion poor) business decisions and don't want to give them (much) money but still want your KS, then use the $1 pledge and then buy through the pledge manager instead of on KS.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Mayveena posted:

I have verified (this is especially for the OP, Magnetic North) that if you do a $1 pledge, and then use the pledge manager, KS only gets its percentage from the $1 pledge, they get nothing from backerkit. So if you care about their policies and (in my opinion poor) business decisions and don't want to give them (much) money but still want your KS, then use the $1 pledge and then buy through the pledge manager instead of on KS.

Thank you for doing the groundwork for that. That seems like a very good 'life hack' for anyone who disapproves of Kickstarter and wishes to not give them money but also simply cannot bear to stop Kickstarting things, and beats the alternative.

I will write that up at some point, probably later today.

e: Done. Anyone, please let me know if I have any factual mistakes, as I was not a common Kickstarter-er even before their recent bullshit.

Magnetic North fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 27, 2022

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

djfooboo posted:

Those BGG tokens for quacks are nice, but the faces wear out so quick for such a high priced item. They need a thicker lacquer or something.

Are there threads or a discussion about that anywhere? I was thinking about getting the Orleans set, not sure I want to if they're going to crap out quickly.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Sorry for Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/e3qgzo/anyone_elses_upgraded_quacks_bits_starting_to_wear/

In my search I also saw people say this issue was fixed in subsequent printings. That particular thread was 2 yrs old.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
I haven't posted in this thread for a while so not sure if it's come up, but I recently bought Zombie Kidz: Evolution to play with my 7 and 9 year old children and it's pretty much the perfect game to play with kids.

All in all, it's an incredibly simple coop game, with some light legacy elements. The game starts off where 1-4 players work to close all the gates to their school to keep the zombies out. Each player rolls a colored die to show where a new Zombie pops up, then you move and kill some zombies to keep their numbers low while working to close the gates. The legacy elements gradually add more rules, like special powers for the player characters, and they do a great job of gradually adding complexity so as not to overwhelm kids.

The kids really like it (especially my 9 year old daughter), and they get thrilled when they get to open envelopes. It's a godsend to me because it's not a random mess like most "classic" child boardgames. It's not the most engaging puzzle, but there are honest to god decisions to make. Also, it's cheap!

The two main criticisms I have are not *too* important when you consider the intended audience. One is that the Legacy aspect doesn't really feel like you're progressing anything. You're just adding rules, with no story to justify them. The other is that it is even more prone to quarterbacking than classic Pandemic. In my case, this is fine since my kids generally want help from me in order to make the best play, but I could see it potentially being a nightmare in a group where one child has an extremely dominant personality.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Crackbone posted:

Are there threads or a discussion about that anywhere? I was thinking about getting the Orleans set, not sure I want to if they're going to crap out quickly.

If you want Orleans upgrades, buy the Bling Kit from DLP. It provides enough custom stickered meeples for five players that are better than both the BGG stuff and the TMG deluxe edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Magnetic North posted:

e: Done. Anyone, please let me know if I have any factual mistakes, as I was not a common Kickstarter-er even before their recent bullshit.

It might be a good idea to make it more clear that it's up to the project to decide who gets access to the pledge manager. I've definitely backed campaigns where a $1 pledge didn't get you any more than access to backers-only updates.