Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

won my first local tourney with X-Force today. Dr Strange, Sorcerer Supreme is a beast. Domino continues to prove that rolling more attacks is always better and with Cover she can tank a surprising number of attacks

Is that the Strange version with the frankly ridiculous AOE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
until you mentioned it I hadn't even noticed that the triggers on that aoe say, after each attack is resolved, that is cray

I was using him for advanced r&d to give Baron Zemo and Honey Badger an extra power round 1. That way Zemo could charge and HB would put down Johnathan the Unstoppable

the Deadly Daggers attack being range 5 and choose damage type let me snipe out several characters. Scalpel to fix positioning when I got pushed around and Eye of Agamotto letting him re-roll doubles up with X-Force + Zemo re-rolls

overall a lot of synergies

fake edit: https://forums.atomicmassgames.com/topic/2947-doctor-strange-sorcerer-supremes-circle-attack-and-cleansesalve/

looks like it's not completely insane. each attack still needs to hit the trigger. still great but not first attack triggers all subsequent attack triggers broken

I R SMART LIKE ROCK fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 27, 2022

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

revising my previous statement: star-lords mini can get absolutely hosed.

his head is two halves, then his face mask is a Sliver that goes on the front while his hair is a fourth piece.

all four of these pieces, assembled, are the size of a ball bearing.

the most telling thing is that the sprue has duplicates of each on it, because they know you're going to lose one of these micropieces while gluing and they give you emergency backups

e: ahahhaha ofc

DLC Inc posted:

still laughing at the fact that a year ago I decided to choose Star-Lord as my first MCP miniature when he's one of the worst possible minis to begin with. A head that requires you to glue a tiny mask + hair on, microscopic jets to affix to the boots, finicky trenchcoat pieces.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 12, 2022

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I spent all day painting, you may now point and laugh as I am bad at painting.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Shrecknet posted:

I spent all day painting, you may now point and laugh as I am bad at painting.

Any mini painted in earnest is better than one left grey. Good on you for getting them painted up

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Kaza42 posted:

Any mini painted in earnest is better than one left grey. Good on you for getting them painted up

I basically am Mr. Rogers at this point. I know I suck at painting, I wish I never had to paint another mini ever, I just like the actual game part and have no idea what you freaks find enjoyable about the frustration of creation.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
honestly those aren't bad just a little flat. a wash, some cleanup and they'd be crisp af

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

how do you do a wash on a figure like Red Skull where he's already 90% black? serious q, I am new to painting (and suck at drybrushing)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Shrecknet posted:

how do you do a wash on a figure like Red Skull where he's already 90% black? serious q, I am new to painting (and suck at drybrushing)

Short answer: don't paint him straight black, but rather mix white and black until you get a very dark gray (or buy a pre-mixed paint like Vallejo's Black Grey). You want a dark gray that's almost black, but not quite. Highlight it with a slightly lighter gray, then wash it with something like Nuln Oil or Army Painter's Dark Tone quickshade, and be pleasantly surprised at how dark the results will be without starting from pure black.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 12, 2022

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah if the model is already a super dark black then you need to skip washing and go up to dark grey. if we're talking citadel paints then an eshin or mechanicus grey would work, then dry brush like a dawnstone grey

you could wash between those greys but meh not necessary

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

thanks for the help! I can't imagine ever fielding Red Skull (I mean, he is literally a Nazi) but that will be handy on future figs for sure.

OK, now that I've played a bunch of games and enjoy MCP and can really get in to the hero thing, I have an issue.

Problem: I enjoy playing Guardians, but other than getting to say "I am Groot" once per turn, I really don't get to make funny voices or evil cackles much.

Solution:

oh no

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

congrats because those 3 boxes legit contain 5 of the best sculpts AMG has ever made imo. Carnage is a bit finicky to assemble but he's not too bad.

On the other hand I just assembled the Asgardians and lol at whoever made the instruction booklet/sprue for Valkyrie. Legit missing like 3 steps in the foldout + I want to strangle whoever made that "glue 2 hair/skull pieces to half a face" decision.

Meanwhile the new X-Men boxes are sometimes as simple as "put leg and arm on Colossus, done" so thank christ they've improved with this.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

congrats because those 3 boxes legit contain 5 of the best sculpts AMG has ever made imo. Carnage is a bit finicky to assemble but he's not too bad.

On the other hand I just assembled the Asgardians and lol at whoever made the instruction booklet/sprue for Valkyrie. Legit missing like 3 steps in the foldout + I want to strangle whoever made that "glue 2 hair/skull pieces to half a face" decision.

Meanwhile the new X-Men boxes are sometimes as simple as "put leg and arm on Colossus, done" so thank christ they've improved with this.

Rocket's base being Groot's tendril shooting out of the ground while Groot's mini is him thrusting a tendril into the ground is legit my favorite piece I've seen, but the Lizard mini exploding out of the sewers is absolutely gorgeous and I love it a lot.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
All of the Convocation stuff is super good IMO.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

These are not done (except Carnage because somehow I loving nailed it), but as "table-ready," and just needing a few touch-ups, I'm super happy. Sinister Syndicate (gently caress calling them "Spider-Foes" :spidey: ) really are the dopest loving sculpts in the game.

(I am aware using a badly self-focusing camera phone does these no justice, but trust me they own)

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
That Mysterio is pretty good and that Carnage is loving legit dude keep at it

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

my philosophy with terrain is that it should be mostly white and Grey to avoid standing out too much and detracting from readability on the board, but still have a splash of color to be Interesting. picked up an O scale 50s ranch TV station, I give you....

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Had a really fun game with my X-Men vs. my buddy's Avengers. X-23 turned into the MVP when her Big Sis ability procced that let her move towards Vision who had hurt Honey Badger. My friend used Cap's ability twice to tank both Laura's attacks which wound up putting Cap down so then I popped Laura's Frenzy power which let her put down Vision. The moral of the story is don't hurt Gabby or Laura will go sickhouse on a third of the Avengers.

Rogue was also really good. She mostly tanked (which she did really well) and threw a car at Cable's dumb face. I also got the Fastball Special off. I may not have this good an MCP game again.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

had great time playing my Guardians vs an Avengers team of Tony, Steve, Carol and Rogue
I had to leave early due to overnight work, but it was close the whole way and would have come down to the last turn and a few dice rolls.
Other than a heinously bad set of choices on turn 1 wrt Rocket & Groot, I think I finally understand how to play Guardians now. Hooray!

setup was 17pts, Spider-Infected/Gamma Shelters

KO'd his Rogue and had both Steve and Carol at 3hp with all my guys at full energy and his on empty when we had to call it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm guessing the Guardians' buffs work, huh?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

I'm guessing the Guardians' buffs work, huh?

Winging It is sooooo much better now, having to spend a card to activate it was literally insane, new mode of "three 2-die rerolls spread out" comes in handy. It still takes a bit of planning to know who's going to actually need it - I definitely had turns when I only used 2/3 of the Winging It tokens, but it was clutch every time.

Rocket not needing to literally suckle on Groot's teat from 1 away and getting to range out to 2-3 from time to time was important too, because Captain Marvel Danvers-Specialed Groot all over the place, but the less-odious spacing restrictions made it so I could still have Groot tank and when it mattered hit the Deadly Duo.

Also Nebula's sculpt, despite being very cool looking, obviously immediately fell off its base from the tiny bit of contact on her knee, so I just had her base on the field :(

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Have been having a lot of fun with some of the newer sculpts + revamping some older hulkfolk. The newer Spider-Foes/X-Men miniatures are so far beyond some of the older ones (Loki in particular is kind of squished and badly made.)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Ira Glass posted:

All of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have good taste. But it's like there is this gap. For the first couple years that you're making stuff, what you're making isn't so good. It’s not that great. It’s trying to be good, it has ambition to be good, but it’s not that good.

But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is good enough that you can tell that what you're making is kind of a disappointment to you. A lot of people never get past that phase. They quit.

And if you are just starting out or if you are still in this phase, you gotta know its normal and the most important thing you can do is do a lot of work (...) It is only by going through a volume of work that you're going to catch up and close that gap. And the work you're making will be as good as your ambitions.
which is to say, this is how far I've come in a month. Very happy with Bullseye

Of course, I need to stop photographing them so that I can see every awful thing and missed brushstroke, because now I have to go back and touch it up for another half hour.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I am thinking of getting into this. I’ve read the rules and my question now is, is there any way to know what everyone does? How am I supposed to know who’s good, or what they do, or even what affiliations they have before buying them? I don’t know who I want to get!

And, related to that question… just in browsing my local gaming store, I found three different Peter Parkers. One in the starter set, one with Black Cat, and one with Doc Ock. Is that all the same guy for gameplay purposes? Not knowing what I’d be actually buying is very confusing.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

I am thinking of getting into this. I’ve read the rules and my question now is, is there any way to know what everyone does? How am I supposed to know who’s good, or what they do, or even what affiliations they have before buying them? I don’t know who I want to get!

And, related to that question… just in browsing my local gaming store, I found three different Peter Parkers. One in the starter set, one with Black Cat, and one with Doc Ock. Is that all the same guy for gameplay purposes? Not knowing what I’d be actually buying is very confusing.

There are a few roster builder websites that publish the character cards, I happen to like https://cerebromcp.com/

Affiliations aren't on the character cards, they're published at the Atomic Mass website under "Organized Play" and are subject to change. In fact, they were updated about a day ago for the new S.H.I.E.L.D. faction and Shadowland Daredevil/Elektra:
https://www.atomicmassgames.com/s/OP_CrisisProtocol_Affiliation_List_033122-twsl.pdf

As far as the Peters go:
-Core set Peter is 4-point Spidey with some basic rules. This represents young Peter Parker.
-Peter that comes with Black Cat is called Amazing Spiderman, is 5 points and has different, fancier rules. He represents an older Peter who has come into his own and mastered his powers.
-The Peter/Doc Ock box is just special edition alternate sculpts of the same characters from the core set with fancy foil character cards. Their rules are the same as the Peter/Doc Ock you get in the core set.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

plester1 posted:

There are a few roster builder websites that publish the character cards, I happen to like https://cerebromcp.com/
That's perfect, thank you (and thank you for explaining what's going on with the Spider-Men).

So... Bob, Agent of Hydra kinda rules, huh? If I'm reading him right, he's an eternal nuisance because all you have to do is save him as the last character you activate and the dude is unkillable because your opponent gets, at best, one shot at KOing him?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

That's perfect, thank you (and thank you for explaining what's going on with the Spider-Men).

So... Bob, Agent of Hydra kinda rules, huh? If I'm reading him right, he's an eternal nuisance because all you have to do is save him as the last character you activate and the dude is unkillable because your opponent gets, at best, one shot at KOing him?

Repeatedly dazing him instead isn't much of a problem, he falls over to a stiff breeze.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Battle Report!

3-round 3-box challenge. 7 players. I thought I'd be the only one bringing Gobby and friends, but fully half the field was on Spider-Foes (3/7). Pics and stories!

Round 1 I had a bye, but got to witness the funniest possible thing that can happen. X-Force had Deadpool summon a Chimichanga. But! It seems that while Doc Ock and Norman were strapping pumpkin bombs to every bystander (Well-Laid Plans TTC), they snuck a tiny pumpkin bomb into Wade's burrito (or maybe it was his bombs from a previous mission he forgot about, either way - classic Wade!) and it exploded.

Round 2 I was up against X-Men. Storm was annoying all game, shows how far you can push a leadership power that is 1/round instead of 1/turn. Everyone having cover forever made everyone other than Eddie very sad. Doc Ock had a clutch roll when he got 2 hits, 2 wilds on a builder to down Widow in 1 shot making her explode like a piñata full of objective tokens, but honestly I had the game lost until my opponent punted on his final activation by trying to take down Venom rather than just scoop up objective tokens and fly away with Storm.

Round 3 my opponent was on Avengers, and absolutely dominated me from deployment. It was two objectives that were both on F, so he basically threw Wolverine on the left against Ultron and Kraven, had quicksilver grab the middle token and sprint to the right where all the heavy hitters were. He took 7 points of my minis off the board from before turn one and had a 10-on-17 fight the rest of the game.
It didn't help that I could have maybe done something but Green Goblin threw 20 dice of pumpkin bombs over two turns to deal 0 damage (include two 5-die rolls that just naturally rolled 0 hits!) and I helplessly stood there with 2 energy on him and Well-Laid Plans of my own sitting unplayed.

Bonus pic from another game in round 1:

Final verdict: Fool's 2nd Place on Strength of Schedule (my only loss was to the undefeated player) and store credit towards Shadowlands Daredevil (when it releases)

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 4, 2022

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I need to get back to painting my MCP stuff but here's everything I've got done so far.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That's a great Lockjaw conversion.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Zuul the Cat posted:

I need to get back to painting my MCP stuff but here's everything I've got done so far.

great work!!

I've been super into this game and trying to get 2-3 in a week. It has been a blast trying stuff out

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've only played 2 games so far, but we really enjoyed it. Fun game!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

got real tired of being terrified every time I touched her that she was gonna snap so after a dip in the vat to take another stab at her paint job, gave her some surgery to be more dynamic

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
That's a good modeling choice right there. Nebula was their sculptor testing just how tiny a connection was needed. The answer was "bigger than this".

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I made myself laugh thinking of something today

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Preview drought is over

https://twitter.com/atomicmassgames/status/1518604506417836034

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
That's an interesting interpretation of Black Swan.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I suppose sitting in a transparent cube doesn't make for a dynamic sculpt

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I know they didn't realize spikes are gonna be spikes but the fact that BO, the concensus best affiliation with the concensus best single character as their leader is getting g more figs that they certainly won't need instead of a hurting group getting something useful still stings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

IDK about Black Order being the consensus best faction, but Reality Gem Thanos is getting splashed into other lists enough that I'm pretty confident he's headed for a nerf