Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Blistex posted:

Because they are irreparably broke-brained?

I knew a few people like that in China.

The worst was a coworker in Korea who absolutely/literally/no joke refused to even attempt to take a single bite of ANY Korean food the entire six months he was there. He ate exclusively out of US chain restaurants and whatever he bought at Costco. He said he didn't like Korean food (even stuff like candy, chips, soft/fruit drinks, alcohol, popsicles, pastries, ramen...) while admitting that he had never tried any.

He walked out of a big fancy dinner our school threw for the staff (five minutes in, and after complaining for 4 of them), and walked across the street to eat at a loving Subway. The whole staff just watched him get up, about face, walk out the front door, and robotically march into a Subway across the street. What's even worse was we were in one of those super-rare Korean restaurants that had what appeared to be the entirety of Korean cuisine on its menu plus a fully translated English menu with top-notch descriptions. (This was the beginning of my love affair with gamja-tang)

After that incident the staff basically stopped talking to him.

I remember you talking about that guy in one of the last threads.

I think you said he had a very bad case of culture shock and just acted like he was in prison. Did his time and went home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Read an nice little op-ed from Rest of World.

https://restofworld.org/2022/chinese-internet-chatter-on-ukraine/

It makes a great point about how looking at Chinese social media will not give you an accurate picture of public sentiment, as both government pressure and a grassroots ultra‐nationalist online community lead to liberal voices being suppressed. I often read articles from Western publications about China and there's often a part where the writer goes "...and this is what Chinese netizens think about this development!" and includes a smattering of random posts from Weibo.

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 26, 2022

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Ups_rail posted:

I remember you talking about that guy in one of the last threads.

I think you said he had a very bad case of culture shock and just acted like he was in prison. Did his time and went home.

Yeah. He was from some flyover state and this was the first time venturing more than a state line from his birthplace. I think dropping him in your average white-bread state capitol would have had similar effects.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Read an nice little op-ed from Rest of World.

https://restofworld.org/2022/chinese-internet-chatter-on-ukraine/

It makes a great point about how looking at Chinese social media will not give you an accurate picture of public sentiment, as both government pressure and a grassroots ultra‐nationalist online community lead to liberal voices being suppressed. I often read articles from Western publications about China and there's often a part where the writer goes "...and this is what Chinese netizens think about this development!" and includes a smattering of random posts from Weibo.

I loved chinasmack for trying to at least present inclusive views into Chinese internet culture.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

BrainDance posted:

I have, on more than one occasion, gotten nachos that replace the sour cream with sweet yogurt.

Like they just saw a picture of nachos and took a guess at it.

My favorite example of this was when a Korea goon got a baked potato with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on it. Same goon also got tacos with whipped cream once.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/EVYSTADIUM/status/1507146289926086665?s=20&t=Rpx6RCxyVT_84lHxiqSYNQ

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

adhuin posted:

That why you go to Europe for authentic cuisines. :colbert:

You get best Currywurst from a dinghy hole in Berlin and nowhere else.

It's like taquerias in California. The best ones are the ones in the barrio that look like they're about to fall down.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Lmao virgin chicken

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ll take the Chad duck

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

My favorite example of this was when a Korea goon got a baked potato with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on it. Same goon also got tacos with whipped cream once.

I ordered chips and salsa, but received taco-flavored doritos with thai sweet chili sauce ;_______;

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Shanghai is loving up their COVID response. As of 5am tomorrow morning, local China time, the districts of Pudonf and Puxi will lock down. I expect other districts to follow suit. How long before the National CCP comes in and busts heads ala Wuhan?

Lol, the Expat subreddits are so whiny. They are like that one kid throwing a tantrum because the other countries let their citizens play outside.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Grand Fromage posted:

My favorite example of this was when a Korea goon got a baked potato with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on it.

Dammit, that might actually work. I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Forceholy posted:

Shanghai is loving up their COVID response. As of 5am tomorrow morning, local China time, the districts of Pudonf and Puxi will lock down. I expect other districts to follow suit. How long before the National CCP comes in and busts heads ala Wuhan?

Lol, the Expat subreddits are so whiny. They are like that one kid throwing a tantrum because the other countries let their citizens play outside.

a lot of the entitled expats in shanghai are p infuriating & funny rn. in my time in shanghai i met several who are p much anti vaxx (not just the chinese ones, over the summer I had a scottish dude who worked in finance simultaneously try to sell me NFTs and tell me the mRNA ones are actually the worst ones cuz brain control or whatever) and enjoyed the fact shanghai was open and had basically no covid for the last 2 years and are now freaking out. It's not cuz they have to lock down tho, as they're in swanky serviced apartments and have no real scarcity issues for food/etc, but for reasons like their ayi cant come to their apartment to watch their kids and cook or they can't go out to a bar.

for the lockdowns themselves it seems to be like everything in china where you get 3 different stories from 3 different people depending on what street they live on. i have friends who are freaking out about it, friends who say their local shops were hosed up for like 1 day and are now p much normal, and people who basically say it's nbd and they aren't seeing anything like what the viral videos being shared are showing.

weirdly its a friend of mine in pudong where the lockdowns were pretty sudden that is saying its all p fine, and in puxi where people have time to prepare people are being nuts.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

sticksy posted:

https://twitter.com/depthsofwiki/status/1507128557000085515?s=21&t=aolJEvYzJ3x3rtwbWLQ4Uw
He doesn’t actually look how I thought but based upon the description pretty sure those of who have lived or currently living in China can immediately draw an mental image of what this guy would look like.

Sorry for him. That airport is a loving dump.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Ailumao posted:

weirdly its a friend of mine in pudong where the lockdowns were pretty sudden that is saying its all p fine, and in puxi where people have time to prepare people are being nuts.

Quite often the people make the crisis.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I’m in Puxi and it’s pretty tough to get fresh vegetables. I’m waiting in a line that wraps halfway around the supermarket to weigh my two giant heads of cabbage, and most fresh stuff is already gone. I’ve seen a number of videos of fights in wet markets and delivery has been messed up to impossible for the whole time. Originally we were supposed to go into lockdown on the 1st, but shops around here apparently all got the order to close this afternoon, so I’m not sure whether that will happen early with residential communities as well.

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I’m in Puxi and it’s pretty tough to get fresh vegetables. I’m waiting in a line that wraps halfway around the supermarket to weigh my two giant heads of cabbage, and most fresh stuff is already gone. I’ve seen a number of videos of fights in wet markets and delivery has been messed up to impossible for the whole time. Originally we were supposed to go into lockdown on the 1st, but shops around here apparently all got the order to close this afternoon, so I’m not sure whether that will happen early with residential communities as well.

expect it to start early, so you are not screwed if it does happen

this is how incompetent gov officials create unnecessary fears with their own mistakes. reduce to zero case ya rear end.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
There are no lockdowns in Beijing yet, but apparently, we're getting weekly tests now.

I'm teaching hybrid classes, so it is kind of a shitshow right now.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Since we had the flood, I always act like poo poo could go down in an hour in China. After a trip around the block for supplies took hours, soaked, getting whatever scraps were left in a dark, hot supermarket.

And I think that's a good way to do things wherever you are, you could get your whole block quarantined with a text message, fill a closet with those instant hotpots that cook themselves like MREs and ramen or whatever.

We supposedly only had 2 cases with the last update but I got a text message that one place is now "code red immediately quarantine everyone" so, I guess it doesn't take much with COVID zero.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

drat, stay safe chinagoons

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Thailand has basically just decided to roll with it.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I think that's pretty much every country outside of China anymore

Deaths are acceptable as long as number goes up

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I think that's pretty much every country outside of China anymore

Deaths are acceptable as long as number goes up

i mean, that's sort of how we've rolled with influenza every year. difference by an order of magnitude, but it was hundreds of thousands of deaths per year. would be cool if we decided that we don't want even that many folks dying, but i think a lot of folks in charge just don't care as long as they can sell enough of the populace on it. btw, flu cases and deaths in japan were way down for the first year of the pandemic, dunno what it was like for the last one. masks and social distancing and sanitation are p drat effective.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm hungry for fried rice.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Atlas Hugged posted:

Thailand has basically just decided to roll with it.

So whats their policy? and will it affect tourists?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Ups_rail posted:

So whats their policy? and will it affect tourists?

think you need proof of vaccine to get on the plane, but they dropped the PCR requirement pre-flight. You need to do one night of quarantine when you land while you wait for your PCR result to come back. I think you have to do an ATK a few days later.

If you test positive it's still quarantine town for tourists.

For everyone else is mostly just whatever you feel like.

My school has us do ATKs twice a week, but if we're in close contact with someone who tested positive, including coworkers or students in our classes, they don't give a poo poo.

You're only hospitalized at this point if your symptoms are extreme. Everyone else just stays home, but there's no real enforcement mechanism.

Most poo poo in Bangkok is open as usual. Masks are still ubiquitous. Nightclubs are hopping.

The concerning thing is that cases are still going up, or at least not coming down. The government seems to have decided 70-90 deaths a day is acceptable so long as they're mostly old and everyone else can recover at home. The goal seems to be herd immunity through universal infection.

There's no thought to long-term consequence or effects from infection as far as I can tell.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Is there any indication that travel bans were effective in any way, except for countries that did it right at the start and could stamp out homegrown cases?

In my country they were always weeks too late and amounted to statistical tweaking of when a new wave would arrive in force

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
For Thailand, yes to a degree, but once omicron hit it was game over. Exhaustion had set in and the economy was in shambles so welp.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

This is the most important thing I have ever or will ever post in this thread.

https://twitter.com/GenreFilmAddict/status/1504647176697393171

I think it's the most important thing you will ever post.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Vesi posted:

European restaurants suck rear end, every place you go to has the same stuff; Pizza, Borscht and Crème brûlée I'm just so tired of it

You mean "plain burgers, lovely pizza, and completely mystifying 'salads'"?

I just spent a week in France and was overjoyed at the chance to actually eat a salad without an entire can of tuna slopped over it.

e: oh my bad I read your post as complaining about generic restaurants in Europe. BUT STILL.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Strategic Tea posted:

Is there any indication that travel bans were effective in any way, except for countries that did it right at the start and could stamp out homegrown cases?

In my country they were always weeks too late and amounted to statistical tweaking of when a new wave would arrive in force

They worked for a while for some island countries that were able to fully quarantine. But no, travel bans are popular whenever there's a disease going around but always ineffective. We went through this with ebola and swine flu and etc etc. The only real chance was if the Wuhan authorities had acted decisively as soon as it popped up instead of covering it up. It might have been possible to contain. After that if China as a whole had sealed the borders (really sealed, zero travel at all--one of those rare instances being authoritarian could've been useful) until it was contained then maybe. Once it got out into the wider world that was it. And it's possible it was so contagious that even those initial quarantines wouldn't have worked, but since they decided to lie about it instead of try we'll never know.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

You mean "plain burgers, lovely pizza, and completely mystifying 'salads'"?

Extremely accurate for places that don't do good burgers (UK maybe), pizza (Italy) or salads (France or Greece).

e: Kebabs are also everywhere but that's more street food than a restaurant meal.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 30, 2022

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

They worked for a while for some island countries that were able to fully quarantine. But no, travel bans are popular whenever there's a disease going around but always ineffective. We went through this with ebola and swine flu and etc etc. The only real chance was if the Wuhan authorities had acted decisively as soon as it popped up instead of covering it up. It might have been possible to contain. After that if China as a whole had sealed the borders (really sealed, zero travel at all--one of those rare instances being authoritarian could've been useful) until it was contained then maybe. Once it got out into the wider world that was it. And it's possible it was so contagious that even those initial quarantines wouldn't have worked, but since they decided to lie about it instead of try we'll never know.

Somewhere I read a very good article about the first case of SARS and how the World Health Organization director had a plan, got information from chinese doctors outside of the state. Then behind closed doors told china they would make an announcement or china could make it first.

Also it seems the cities were the out breaks were happening and the WHO was advising people not to go to had the mayor of Vancouver saying "hey your stepping on my toes here telling people this stuff"

Sadly for Sars part deux we had the WHO and The CCP do the whole face saving culture thing, plus the whole chinese new year travel.

Honestly the Good who had the "movers just walked out story" from years ago really help me seeing how covid19 could be bungled.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Ups_rail posted:

Honestly the Good who had the "movers just walked out story" from years ago really help me seeing how covid19 could be bungled.

The exact same thing happens over and over in PRC history. They bungled SARS the same way, we just got lucky that it wasn't all that contagious and didn't get out of control. But like the Great Leap Forward was exactly the same thing, local authorities lying and covering up because they don't want to get in trouble by reporting mistakes and it spirals out of control. It's a feature of authoritarian systems.

E: PRC was unnecessary there, imperial China had the same problems. Any system will if you don't reward people for honest information instead of telling the boss what he wants to hear.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 30, 2022

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Lockdown stuff just Escalated Quickly where I live.

Went from "be careful, but mostly normal and some students in schools" to "major roads closed stranding people between cities, entire communities walled off" within a few hours.

All feeling very early 2020 right now.
Fortunately, because this has been in the wind for a while, I'm all stocked up.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
seems like a totally normal way to run a country for the next few years

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Especially while the rest of the world is a giant incubator for new strains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

The Great Autismo! posted:

seems like a totally normal way to run a country for the next few years

well, america