Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Speaking of wife beaters i always get a kick out how that is THE Hank Pym defining moment and it’s all because the artist and the writer didn’t communicate properly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The best Marvel story about vampires is when Dracula took all the vampires to live in castles on the moon and, while they were there, Captai Britain revoked their invitation to Earth.

So, when they launched their invasion fleet of vampire space ships, and vampires launched from cannon like human inhuman cannonballs, they all burned up in Earth's atmosphere.
Now I really want to see this but I also realize that the image conjured up in my head is way funnier than the actual comic could ever be

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

moonmazed posted:

coulson was the main character of a show that ran for 136 episodes

Just not a very good one.

oldpainless posted:

I’ve met dozens of people in my life and not a single one has ever watched Agents of Shield

A dozen or so, for me, but same.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I’ve watched it and it was fine for a network television show

E: it spun its gears in the first season for a while but when the Winter Soldier tie-in episode came out and it turned out the bland boring white hero character (Ward) was actually a Hydra psycho it got a lot better

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

It's funny how out of continuity most of the show ended up being, to the point that no one working on the show knew The Snap was happening in Infinity War until they saw it in the theaters.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It's a good show of its kind mostly thanks to some really stellar actors who are better than the material.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

christmas boots posted:

Speaking of wife beaters i always get a kick out how that is THE Hank Pym defining moment and it’s all because the artist and the writer didn’t communicate properly

wait what? I thought this was just a ultimate thing

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Benagain posted:

oh no it's much older than that

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Every loving writer in the world wants to be the one that redeems Hank for that so they keep coming back to that moment over and over and over and it is oh so tiring.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
What was the scene supposed to be?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What was the scene supposed to be?

IIRC As originally envisioned Hank is just kind of swinging his arms around as he’s having his rant/breakdown so she still gets hit but it’s an accidental thing that happens because he’s losing control and not a deliberate choice he makes to strike her

Benagain posted:

Ultimate cranks this up to 11 so Pym is just straight up a domestic abuser 24/7 and knowingly so.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

That's... basically what the comic said?

Here are the two pages that talk about Mary Jane dying of cancer. Two pages from an out of continuity mini-series published in 2008.

That's it. Two pages out of 22 in the fifth best-selling Spider-Man title of the month fifteen years ago. Does it imply that Spider-Man's semen (and I guess sweat, saliva, piss, poo poo, vomit, tears, lymph, bile, snot, etc.) is radioactive? Yes. Is it a mini-series about Spider-jizz leaking out massive cum-radiation with ejaculate dripping from every big load of dialogue? Maybe that's the other version everyone in here has read, along with the other comics that don't actually exist that have referenced this since then.

There is actually more comic book content in print about Spider-Man beating Mary Jane and/or trying to kill her then there about his deadly spidercumjizzspunklol. There was more time spent on the page where he had to teach a God how to poop. There's more textual history of Spider-Man (and Batman) pissing or making GBS threads themselves than what is posted above.

So my real question is, knowing that Spider-Man is a wifebeater with a demonstrable interest in poo poo and piss play, how do we know he didn't poison Mary Jane by beating her until his knuckles bled into her wounds? Or by bathroom play in the bedroom? I think the text supports all of them equally.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Edge & Christian posted:

That's it. Two pages out of 22 in the fifth best-selling Spider-Man title of the month fifteen years ago. Does it imply that Spider-Man's semen (and I guess sweat, saliva, piss, poo poo, vomit, tears, lymph, bile, snot, etc.) is radioactive? Yes. Is it a mini-series about Spider-jizz leaking out massive cum-radiation with ejaculate dripping from every big load of dialogue? Maybe that's the other version everyone in here has read, along with the other comics that don't actually exist that have referenced this since then.

You're never going to convince me that when the writer wrote "not just blood. every fluid." and then bolded the phrase "loving me" they weren't specifically thinking about cum.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

drat if a 4 issue comic book is all you needed to write off an entire medium wait until you hear about what kinds of tv shows and movies are out there

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

What’s the point of Batman’s mask leaving his mouth uncovered if he’s not gonna use it?

its for fairness/ being a obvious weakpoint for the half of the Rogues gallery that have gas base attacks/gimmicks.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Edge & Christian posted:

There was more time spent on the page where he had to teach a God how to poop.

is this a reference to hickman's FF when annihilus was hanging out in his bathroom, or did it happen a second time

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Arivia posted:

is this a reference to hickman's FF when annihilus was hanging out in his bathroom, or did it happen a second time

in the Secret Wars II Spider-man tie-in issue, the Beyonder visited Peter's apartment and Peter taught him what the toilet is for

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Alaois posted:

drat if a 4 issue comic book is all you needed to write off an entire medium wait until you hear about what kinds of tv shows and movies are out there

It's just I don't wanna be that guy writing 7 paragraphs in defense of spidercum

I will post dumb screeds about other things.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
personally i just never got into comics because i have a dumbass completionist streak and the answer to 'so how do i make sure i'm reading all of the current plotline that's happening and where do i start' is a combination of 'lol' and 'lmao'

this is also why i've never seen a mcu movie, to a lesser extent (unless into the spiderverse is retroactively one?)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

flatluigi posted:

personally i just never got into comics because i have a dumbass completionist streak and the answer to 'so how do i make sure i'm reading all of the current plotline that's happening and where do i start' is a combination of 'lol' and 'lmao'

this is also why i've never seen a mcu movie, to a lesser extent (unless into the spiderverse is retroactively one?)

I found a neat site that tracks all that, except now I know how much there actually is and it's a lot.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

flatluigi posted:

Same. I’ve bought (for example) the collected Final Crisis only to realise I only know about six characters in it, and its 200 pages of people I don’t know or care about yelling about crap I don’t understand.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Vandar posted:

No real icons or logos in the Marvel universe, no sir.

Just gonna shove these into a drawer somewhere real quick... :v:

What's the bottom left one?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Spider-Man, Spider-Man
Does whatever a spider can
Is he strong
Listen chum
He's got radioactive cum
Look out!
Here cums the Spider-Man

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

flatluigi posted:

This is it for me, although I have watched all the MCU movies and shows because I'm exactly the kind of dumbass completionist that would. I know it's likely not really necessary but there are so many other books, films, shows, games, music, and other miscellaneous forms of media that don't have 70 years of material of wildly variable quality and relevance attached to it. I don't have a problem with comics per se, and I'll occasionally pick up a stand alone graphic novel or series that vaguely falls into the superhero genre (I've read the predictable ones; Sandman, Watchmen, Preacher) but I just can't see myself getting seriously into the shared universes of either Marvel or DC except in film or TV form.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

SuddenCactus posted:

You don’t know that famous marvel character the Green Brassiere

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SuddenCactus posted:

Doctor Doom.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Captain Monkey posted:

It's just I don't wanna be that guy writing 7 paragraphs in defense of spidercum

I will post dumb screeds about other things.
It's a lot easier to just sort of pass along a half-remembered thing that someone else who kind of remembers reading a listicle of hosed up things that the listicle writer once saw a Cracked article about, that's the ideal consumer of any medium.

Thinking comics are stupid is totally fine, I became That Guy because "spidercum" is an incredibly dumb/trivial/barely-existent reason to not like something. It'd be like if I swore off television because Saturday Night Live is that show where all they do is trick closest gay people into saying "gently caress" on the air live and then they kill themselves.

It happened! I mean they didn't trick Charles Rocket. And there was 25 years between him getting fired and committing suicide. And there's no real evidence that he was gay. But still, television man. Not a good thing.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

radioactive spider-cum is at least so outrageous that you get some humour out of it, as opposed to what Sins Past did, and that was a canon arc.

I mean, if people thought the DC "heroes don't do that" thing with Batman was bad, we can go back almost 20 years with Marvel and the top brass saying "no, Peter can't have premarital sex, let's have Norman rape Gwen and these twins are the result of that instead". What a loving mess

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair sins past was a lot of editorial interference which muddle things up a lot

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
To be fair to the arc, which was bad, the sex was consensual. J. Michael Straczynski intended Peter to be the father but that got shot down by editorial and it was switched to Gwen/Norman seeking solace with each other in their grief. Gwen's dad was recently dead and I forget who Norman lost maybe his wife?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

John Murdoch posted:

The other common complaint that I hate is that Superman is apparently incredibly boring because he's ultra invincible and "realistically" he should be able to just instantly solve every problem and punch all the bad guys so there's no stakes in any of his stories. Which really just sounds like those people have only been exposed to incredibly lovely Superman stories (or just made them up in their head).

It's especially funny from a meta-narrative perspective because oh, there's no excitement to any of it because you know Superman is gonna win by the end? Yeah, that's nothing like Batman. Or pretty much literally any other superhero story. Or fiction in general. :rolleyes:

i'm glad you mentioned this because that's been one of the more baffling memes i've seen regarding supes. i mean, i watched both Superman: TAS and Justice League/Unlimited, and for somebody supposedly all powerful, he ran into quite a few problems that he couldn't just simply punch his way out of!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

They did only do the spidercum once, true. But you gently caress one goat....

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The MCU 'canon' is already kinda lol given Agents of Shield and THEN they officially introduce the multiverse.

Mr Interweb posted:

i'm glad you mentioned this because that's been one of the more baffling memes i've seen regarding supes. i mean, i watched both Superman: TAS and Justice League/Unlimited, and for somebody supposedly all powerful, he ran into quite a few problems that he couldn't just simply punch his way out of!

Yeah, a shitload of people complaining about Superman seem to have seen exactly zero Superman stories.

It's like complaining that Batman is boring because he's the world's greatest detective and solves every problem instantly with no tension.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The MCU 'canon' is already kinda lol given Agents of Shield and THEN they officially introduce the multiverse.

Yeah, a shitload of people complaining about Superman seem to have seen exactly zero Superman stories.

It's like complaining that Batman is boring because he's the world's greatest detective and solves every problem instantly with no tension.

I think a lot of it is wanting to be perceived as edgy, but there is something incredibly slow-Sunday afternoon about Smallville, the 90s Dean Cain show and the Christoper Reeve films (which I'm sure were great if you were 6 in 1978 or whatever) which will have been a lot of people's formative idea of the character. Like, as a 6 year old, I remember being really weirded out by Burton's Batman because I adored the re-runs on the 60s show. Those impressions stick!

Anyway, those people need to be medically prescribed Grant Morrison's All-Star Superman.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Disco Pope posted:

I think a lot of it is wanting to be perceived as edgy, but there is something incredibly slow-Sunday afternoon about Smallville, the 90s Dean Cain show and the Christoper Reeve films (which I'm sure were great if you were 6 in 1978 or whatever) which will have been a lot of people's formative idea of the character. Like, as a 6 year old, I remember being really weirded out by Burton's Batman because I adored the re-runs on the 60s show. Those impressions stick!

Anyway, those people need to be medically prescribed Grant Morrison's All-Star Superman.

Who gives a poo poo about any of those tho, it's like still going 'lol, talks to fish' about Super Friends Aquaman after Jason Momoa. Nobody cares, Aquaman is Duncan Idaho now and everyone wants to gently caress him, especially the straight dudes

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The 60s batman show actually is the successful critical deconstruction of batman that Nolan and the new movie attempted. It’s campy but clever too—it’s aged incredibly well.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
How can it be a deconstruction, it’s exactly the same tone wise as 60s Batman

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The ending of TDKR is literally a Batman 66 movie joke.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It contrasts batman as a square representative of the establishment against counterculture beatniks in a way that makes the establishment seem silly and insufficient to the task of managing society. That may not be intentional, and I will grant that the beatniks are always the henchpeople of the main villains and not the main villains themselves, who are generally not appealing.

Like, the idea of going to a dance club in the 60s and ordering an orange juice makes you seem silly where you’re not in on the joke if you’re surrounded by hip kids who know how to dance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Aces High posted:

radioactive spider-cum is at least so outrageous that you get some humour out of it, as opposed to what Sins Past did, and that was a canon arc.

I mean, if people thought the DC "heroes don't do that" thing with Batman was bad, we can go back almost 20 years with Marvel and the top brass saying "no, Peter can't have premarital sex, let's have Norman rape Gwen and these twins are the result of that instead". What a loving mess
This is kind of my point about these conversations, they're always a game of telephone. Sins Past was not a good story but there was no rape involved and no decree that Spider-Man can't have premarital sex. I suppose this gets into "you gently caress one goat lmao" territory of taking one part of one line and inferring a ton from it but the "Peter is a virgin" thing seems to come from solely from this interview:

Joe Quesada posted:

In my world, there was no way I could go forward with this story as is. For starters, you're talking to a guy that feels that a married Peter Parker isn't the healthiest thing for the franchise since it ages the character. There is no way on planet earth that I could let him to have kids, Marvel almost made that mistake several years ago. And there were further implications of the story that were out of my comfort zone. First, it was the dealing with the repercussions of Peter and Gwen having unprotected or careless sex out of wedlock. Second, it would be dealing with Peter having kids out of wedlock; while, of course, he wasn't aware of having had them, there was always the possibility that the media could spin it that way. But in the end, it was mostly the idea of Peter having kids that I just balked at.
This interview came out just before they started the "Brand New Day" run where Peter Parker was very much a single unmarried man having sex with multiple suitors, so if the idea was "Spider-Man has to wait until marriage!" then Quesada did an absolutely horrible job of keeping this mandate.

But again "Sister Mary Marvel demanded Spider-Man be a virgin so they had Gwen Stacy raped instead" is on some level more outrageous/more darkly humorous so I 'get' it.