Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

This AP pic looks like the kind of painting that would go on to define the refugee experience. Just a hell of a shot in how simple it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

vuk83 posted:

That was an incredible piece of airmanship, and not in anyway replicable on a consistent basis.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Baghdad_DHL_attempted_shootdown_incident

quote:

made an injury-free landing of the seriously damaged A300, using differential engine thrust as the only pilot input. This was despite major damage to a wing, total loss of hydraulic control, a faster-than-safe landing speed, and a ground path that veered off the runway surface and onto unprepared ground

Hear that clanging sound? It's the sound of gigantic loving brass balls.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

:stare:

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Only control they b had was engine throttle iirc

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I love that they give an award that has annual in the title, which is only given out when a pilot faced a hosed-up situation enough to call for awarding it.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
That pilot should never have to pay for another drink in his life. Christ, what amazing skill and luck.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

vuk83 posted:

That was an incredible piece of airmanship, and not in anyway replicable on a consistent basis.

Ok, yeah, seems like the answer to my original question (which I could have phrased less like I was a security threat) is that they're dangerous enough to be a serious concern.

Eason the Fifth posted:

This AP pic looks like the kind of painting that would go on to define the refugee experience. Just a hell of a shot in how simple it is.

That's gotta end up winning some sort of news photo award

Flikken posted:

Only control they b had was engine throttle iirc

Are you recalling it from two posts above yours?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

EasilyConfused posted:

Are you recalling it from two posts above yours?

Yes, yes I am.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Bored As gently caress posted:

That pilot should never have to pay for another drink in his life. Christ, what amazing skill and luck.

Seriously. Pretty amazing that he managed to save it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Context?

v--got it

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Mar 27, 2022

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

vuk83 posted:

A similar event that always strikes me is the Souix City crash, where a disintegrating engine fan severed all the hydraulic lines in a near fully-loaded DC-10. By sheer luck a DC-10 instructor was riding as a passenger, and was able to help the crew manuever the plane down from cruising altitude to the nearest airport through engine throttling alone. Despite their best efforts they couldn't prevent the plane from crashing as they landed, but over half the passengers and crew managed to survive what should have been a death sentence.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

bird food bathtub posted:

Hear that clanging sound? It's the sound of gigantic loving brass balls.

Even after landing, they couldn't immediately evacuate the plane or area because there were potential mines or EOD on the ground.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Acebuckeye13 posted:

A similar event that always strikes me is the Souix City crash, where a disintegrating engine fan severed all the hydraulic lines in a near fully-loaded DC-10. By sheer luck a DC-10 instructor was riding as a passenger, and was able to help the crew manuever the plane down from cruising altitude to the nearest airport through engine throttling alone. Despite their best efforts they couldn't prevent the plane from crashing as they landed, but over half the passengers and crew managed to survive what should have been a death sentence.

The kicker to this is that the accident investigation tried to duplicate their effort in a simulator but always crashed even worse than the actual flight.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
There was also the time an Israeli F-15 landed with only one wing after a collision with an A-4

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Here's something a bit lighter than our usual fare in here.

https://twitter.com/_MJMoody_/status/1507711435723493380

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Fall Dog posted:

There was also the time an Israeli F-15 landed with only one wing after a collision with an A-4

When your frame so thikk you don't need wings to fly

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Hadn't seen this discussed here, but Biden was at a three-day NATO summit in Poland and delivered a fiery speech against Putin at its conclusion, and apparently he ad-libbed the lines "for God’s sake, this man cannot remain in power" which has already been criticized by the Russians as calling for regime change, and by others for being at best incautious language that risks further inflaming tensions. Now Blinken and other White House officials are out there having to walk back Biden's remark.

I don't think Biden was actually calling for Putin to be ousted, but I do agree that it was a pretty dumb thing to say.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Hadn't seen this discussed here, but Biden was at a three-day NATO summit in Poland and delivered a fiery speech against Putin at its conclusion, and apparently he ad-libbed the lines "for God’s sake, this man cannot remain in power" which has already been criticized by the Russians as calling for regime change, and by others for being at best incautious language that risks further inflaming tensions. Now Blinken and other White House officials are out there having to walk back Biden's remark.

I don't think Biden was actually calling for Putin to be ousted, but I do agree that it was a pretty dumb thing to say.
I'll agree with incautious, but does anyone other than Putin NOT think that at this point?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
They started walking that back as soon as the sentence fell out of his mouth. I'm assuming conservative news outlets were all screaming "REGIME CHANGE" yesterday.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

They started walking that back as soon as the sentence fell out of his mouth. I'm assuming conservative news outlets were all screaming "REGIME CHANGE" yesterday.

Not to get too USPOL in this thread, but that does put the conservatives in a bad spot. Can they criticize Biden for wanting Putin removed? Yeah, but it does involve a lot of doublethink.

.....on second though, perhaps it doesn't put them in a bad spot after all.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Cimber posted:

Not to get too USPOL in this thread, but that does put the conservatives in a bad spot. Can they criticize Biden for wanting Putin removed? Yeah, but it does involve a lot of doublethink.

.....on second though, perhaps it doesn't put them in a bad spot after all.

Particularly when one of their most outspoken senators was calling for him to be assassinated not too long ago.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

stealie72 posted:

I'll agree with incautious, but does anyone other than Putin NOT think that at this point?

One of the things Putin uses to bolster his domestic position is to cast the US as wanting to destroy Russia and control the world, so Biden saying stuff like that just makes that messaging stronger. Of course everyone hates Putin, but giving him actual soundbytes to roll on Russian TV is counterproductive and this line was super dumb.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

glynnenstein posted:

One of the things Putin uses to bolster his domestic position is to cast the US as wanting to destroy Russia and control the world, so Biden saying stuff like that just makes that messaging stronger. Of course everyone hates Putin, but giving him actual soundbytes to roll on Russian TV is counterproductive and this line was super dumb.

Sometimes the inside voice needs to remain inside, which is a problem Biden tends to have.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Maybe giving the reigns of power to people with questionable cognitive abilities is bad.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

glynnenstein posted:

In the last five years I've come to believe that not tailoring what you have to say so as not to provide fodder for the eternally aggrieved is the better approach. It doesn't matter, they will find something to be aggrieved over so just say what you need to for your message to be effective to your listeners.

That said, lets get the gerontocracy out of power.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

That Works posted:

Maybe giving the reigns of power to people with questionable cognitive abilities is bad.

Person, man, woman, camera, TV.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Imagine going through that hell only to realize you're stuck in Sioux City.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
drat very brave of Joe to tell Russia to just Vote Him Out

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Including the pilots, who were thought dead but then the firefighters noticed that the cabin, buried in the Earth, had some very alive pilots in it.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Very much disagree. If anything, our leaders need to finally take seriously the threat right-wing authoritarians around the world pose and more overtly rally a bloc resolved to being a counterweight. One of the principle reasons Putin felt confident going into Ukraine is that Western leaders have been ludicrously permissive of blatant Russian influence ops targeted at undermining the West's willingness and capability to respond to Putin's belligerence. Decades of scummy and vacillating Western politicians have tolerated or even directly taken part in active measures to weaken liberal democracy. It's amazed everyone that European leaders have managed to muster the relatively unified response that they have, but even that is clearly compromised by longstanding Russian machinations to hobble it.

Europe and Biden shouldn't be rooting for WW3 by any means, but they must drop the decorum bullshit and call out malign actors, both at home and abroad, who are intent on demolishing liberal democracy, flawed and incomplete as it might be.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

stealie72 posted:

He's right, but it's not something the president of the US should be saying out loud.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Murgos posted:

In the last five years I've come to believe that not tailoring what you have to say so as not to provide fodder for the eternally aggrieved is the better approach. It doesn't matter, they will find something to be aggrieved over so just say what you need to for your message to be effective to your listeners.

That said, lets get the gerontocracy out of power.

Maybe they're taking a page out of the GOP Media Guide: say what you really think the first time around, no matter how potentially egregious, and walk it back later to insincerely save face.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Lol stupid gaff saying what everyone is thinking. Whatever. Like Putin is actively invading countries on his border bombing hospitals and threatening nuclear retaliation. Oh no don’t say out loud what everyone has on their mind.

Russia is gonna play it up for internal consumption, everyone else is going to stare at the ceiling looking cracks while whistling.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Much like republicans in our country, giving them soundbytes do nothing because anyone serriously waffling on the position of "russia invaded ukraine and thats bad" was never gonna be convinced to flip with anything less than everyone around them slapping them and even then and anyone who could be pushed to go take actual action baaed on a soundbyte was just looking for the tiniest of excuse that would have come the moment they had a slightly worse day.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cugel the Clever posted:

Very much disagree. If anything, our leaders need to finally take seriously the threat right-wing authoritarians around the world pose and more overtly rally a bloc resolved to being a counterweight. One of the principle reasons Putin felt confident going into Ukraine is that Western leaders have been ludicrously permissive of blatant Russian influence ops targeted at undermining the West's willingness and capability to respond to Putin's belligerence. Decades of scummy and vacillating Western politicians have tolerated or even directly taken part in active measures to weaken liberal democracy. It's amazed everyone that European leaders have managed to muster the relatively unified response that they have, but even that is clearly compromised by longstanding Russian machinations to hobble it.

Europe and Biden shouldn't be rooting for WW3 by any means, but they must drop the decorum bullshit and call out malign actors, both at home and abroad, who are intent on demolishing liberal democracy, flawed and incomplete as it might be.

Especially at home.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
And it's not like sticking to vague, tepid statements would do anything to meaningfully stymy authoritarian propaganda. Whether it's contemporary American conservatism or RT, they will actively invent complete nonsense to bolster their support—and huge swathes of stupid fuckers will fall for it. Better to take an explicit stand with a rallying message than to keep up the noncommittal "well, president Putin's actions aren't great, I guess".

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Saying that democratic countries in the West can't accept somebody like Putin isn't a gaffe. It should have been said and acted upon ten years ago instead of trying stupid restarts of relations with Russia etc.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

He's right, but it's not something the president of the US should be saying out loud.
"He's out of line, but he's right" sounds about right.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

We're funneling tens of thousands of anti tank and anti-aircraft weapons to a country that's laying waste to his military and have almost completely gutted their economy through the most aggressive sanctions applied to any county since World War II But hang on, let's not rush to conclusions about ousting Putin!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think he should say it again