Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Mainline the whole climate change thread w/ supplementals in a single sitting for novel trauma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

WEH posted:

first batch of stuff too long to quote from the 60s

thanks hopkins
https://www.nuforc.org/webreports/reports/105/S105120.html

detailed crescent report
https://www.nuforc.org/webreports/reports/062/S62169.html

old secondhand story from a canadian mayor
https://www.nuforc.org/webreports/reports/063/S63838.html

detailed uk abduction report
https://www.nuforc.org/webreports/reports/119/S119064.html

odd bootcamp report; men in black?
https://www.nuforc.org/webreports/reports/050/S50678.html

long abduction account
https://www.nuforc.org/webreports/reports/100/S100986.html

missing time, no trauma
https://www.nuforc.org/webreports/reports/028/S28744.html

possible abduction? weird noise and burned circle of grass
https://www.nuforc.org/webreports/reports/035/S35344.html

weird box story; parents replaced(??)
https://www.nuforc.org/webreports/reports/023/S23352.html

three detailed saucer sightings. just an excellent report all around
https://www.nuforc.org/webreports/reports/056/S56354.html

point light moves impossibly fast in straight lines
https://www.nuforc.org/webreports/reports/059/S59856.html

Man these abduction stories are great. The poor kid waking up with the huge nosebleed :(

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

The Protagonist posted:

Mainline the whole climate change thread w/ supplementals in a single sitting for novel trauma

That's one way to have a real bad time.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Does information have mass? Maybe?
https://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/5.0087175

quote:

The mass–energy–information equivalence principle proposed in 2019 and the information content of the observable matter in the universe estimated in 2021 represent two important conjectures, called the information conjectures. Combining information theory and physical principles of thermodynamics, these theoretical proposals made specific predictions about the mass of information as well as the most probable information content per elementary particle. Here, we propose an experimental protocol that allows for empirical verification of the information conjectures by confirming the predicted information content of elementary particles. The experiment involves a matter–antimatter annihilation process. When an electron–positron annihilates, in addition to the two 511 keV gamma photons resulting from the conversion of their rest masses into energy, we predict that two additional low energy photons should be detected, resulting from their information content erasure. At room temperature, a positron–electron annihilation should produce two ∼50 µm wavelength infrared photons due to the information erasure. This experiment could, therefore, confirm both information conjectures and the existence of information as the fifth state of matter in the universe.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Riot Bimbo posted:

Always fight your abductees imo like punch them!!! Swing motherfucker!!! Steal their hyperdrive go see the universe vent them out the airlock

this is colloquially known as the "Walton Method"

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

The great thing about cspam is there are multiple heart stopping cocktails you could throw at someone.

Two core ingredients for the true tripartite cocktail imo must have the biosphere collapse & covid threads in it. The third is a variable, but is important as it adds to the overall texture of the mental breakdown. Maybe some would prefer a dash of doomsday economics, others a shot of Epstein; in any case the sum combination of distilled truths one comes to can lead to a spectacular personal break.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

For anyone out there looking to experiment, I'm currently on Epstein, UFOs, and Glenn Greenwald. I uh...I don't recommend it for the faint of heart.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I'm reading all the bad news but ukraine ia doing the most to put me in a mental hospital

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

For me the triple shot is climate + econ + Eurasia

Bird thread is on a special level, it breaks your brain in a metaphysical way instead of being purely moral/materialist

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

kT/2

k is boltzmann constant and T is temperature is minimum energy of a bit so yes it has mass

Learn statistical mechanics to learn more

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Does that mean that 'dark matter' might just be a bunch of data saved on the hard drive we call the milky way?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i like to sprinkle a little weatherdammerung thread in there from time to time, it's like adding a little seasoning to your biosphere collapse anxiety attack

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Does that mean that 'dark matter' might just be a bunch of data saved on the hard drive we call the milky way?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo_vPduSM00&t=3134s

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I love men in black stories, it's maybe the one thing I believe whole cloth out of any reports. Of course there are NSA or high up Air Force guys coming in to tell soldiers and ATC dudes they didn't see anything. If the government knows there's something flying around, and theyre responsible because it's a test if some kind or it's truly an unidentified phenomena and they can't do anything about it, why wouldn't they try to shut these people up?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Stay frosty, Bird Thread!!!

quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbikab-cJD0

When the world has gone mad
And there's nowhere to roam
The lights are all on
But nobody's home

There comes a time
When you look up to the sky
And ask, "Why do my favorite songs
Always make me cry?"
And am I losing

My sanity, my sanity
I've nothing to lose, so please let me be
I've got a firm grip, and strong roots like a tree
Burrowed deep in reality
I won't let you go, what else can there be?
You're all I have

When you swore to be true
Our bed was belief
But alternative facts
Snuck in like a thief

There comes a time
To release the cord of self
And with confidence, declare your state of perfect mental health
Never doubting

My sanity, my sanity
My life is a song, a short melody
Harmonizing with reality
I've got it real bad, there's no remedy
You're all I have
My dear sanity

Sometimes there's no sane reason
For optimism

Oh, my sanity, my sanity
My life is a song, a short melody
Harmonizing with reality
I've got it real bad, there's no remedy
My world picture is exemplary
I won't let you go, what else can there be?
You're all I have
My dear sanity

I've been having a pretty long night of the soul myself.
But so long as we all stick together we all still stand a chance.

Barry Foster has issued a correction as of 04:21 on Mar 27, 2022

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The Demilich posted:

The great thing about cspam is there are multiple heart stopping cocktails you could throw at someone.

Two core ingredients for the true tripartite cocktail imo must have the biosphere collapse & covid threads in it. The third is a variable, but is important as it adds to the overall texture of the mental breakdown. Maybe some would prefer a dash of doomsday economics, others a shot of Epstein; in any case the sum combination of distilled truths one comes to can lead to a spectacular personal break.

Azathoth posted:

For anyone out there looking to experiment, I'm currently on Epstein, UFOs, and Glenn Greenwald. I uh...I don't recommend it for the faint of heart.

Slavvy posted:

For me the triple shot is climate + econ + Eurasia

Bird thread is on a special level, it breaks your brain in a metaphysical way instead of being purely moral/materialist

Riot Bimbo posted:

I'm reading all the bad news but ukraine ia doing the most to put me in a mental hospital

lol you all are posting the threads I have stopped following for these very reasons!

I'm now on: TRUMo!, Canada, and UFOs. I will still peak at Eurasia from time to time, and every so often I will jump to the final page in Ukraine war, but gently caress its all a bit much isn't it

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

its all a bit much and im mainlining the entire buffet

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Look I'm off suboxone and armagedddon-anticipating sobriety has left a void within me i fill woth doomer bullshit now

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've played that game and I don't get what you're saying :shrug:

pissinthewind posted:

Wtf did people even do for entertainment when the world wasn't ending? News must've been like, really boring and lacking in content.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

pissinthewind posted:

https://twitter.com/hiumri/status/1507930273564004363?t=A27eMbr28nHolT27fm3-kQ&s=19

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Wtf did people even do for entertainment when the world wasn't ending? News must've been like, really boring and lacking in content.

The most exciting thing until 9/11 was watching the LAPD slowly chase a football player after he murdered his wife

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Remember when Bill Clinton got a BJ and it was news for like years? Lmao what the hell. The past is way, way weirder than the present imo. And by the past I mean about 1950-2016. Current times feels like a return to the 'normal' magic-filled, inconsistent reality the vast majority of the human race have experienced. Everyone above the age of ~40 spent too much of their lives in the imaginary 'rational' reality and now that simulacrum is collapsing under it's own weight, and for a lot of them it's impossible to come to terms with actual reality.

Slavvy has issued a correction as of 05:22 on Mar 27, 2022

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Slavvy posted:

Remember when Bill Clinton got a BJ and it was news for like years? Lmao what the hell. The past is way, way weirder than the present imo.

As someone who grew up under the continual threat of global nuclear armageddon let me just say BENGHAZI

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I'm happy to be back into ufos though, usually nostalgia poo poo does nothing for me but the saucer boys are back. in town.

lmao 90s kid me thought he had a future hahahah a a AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

This paper sounds pretty shitposty but I can appreciate the gonzo physics. Susskind has also turned heads lately by trying to bring information (specifically complexity theory in the computer science sense) into his exploration of his ER=EPR idea.

Armadillo Tank posted:

kT/2

k is boltzmann constant and T is temperature is minimum energy of a bit so yes it has mass

Learn statistical mechanics to learn more

Shouldn't information be identified with entropy i n the stat mech picture? i.e. k ln N. I dunno, I slipped through the cracks mostly with stat mech & thermo.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
Humpty Dumpty(bird thread poster's brains) sat on a wall,
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall(read a bunch of threads).
All the king's horses(NDT brained fools) and all the king's menposters(us)
Couldn't put Humpty together again(the new reality hasnt revealed itself yet).

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Lol get it rams donk lmao

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I've played that game and I don't get what you're saying :shrug:

I enjoy the GBS Vantasm thread of old magazine scans. It gets me nostaligic, not so much for a past time, but just for an existence when boredom was possible, and every moment wasnt a tsunami of information.

Keep watching the skies.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

https://www.businessinsider.com/researchers-near-death-experiences-past-lives-afterlife-2022-3

and

https://www.nderf.org/Experiences/1wilson_fde.html

quote:

Experience Description
A friend persuaded me to submit this account, against my natural tendency on the matter. I have no real interest in following it up or being contacted in any way. It was a very frightening episode. It is traumatic enough, to be honest, to recall it just once at length here. But having set out to describe it, I will be as frank and as accurate as language can allow.

On the 15th July 2013, at about 7.45am, I was on my way to work and approaching the intersection and getting ready to take a left-hand turn. This is a notoriously dangerous intersection on any day, and there have been many accidents there. It is hard to see if the intersection is clear from the right and the left turn is particularly hazardous. I was running late and in a flustered state of mind. I had an important meeting that I’d been planning for carefully over a number of days, and a really stupid delay at the last minute put all of that in jeopardy. It should also be understood that a much better traffic signal system exists there today than was in place at the time of this incident.

I approached the intersection in a hurry. I looked to the right and believed that I had correctly viewed that nothing was approaching from the right, so I made the left turn. As I crossed the intersection, I glanced right once more and saw a vehicle heading straight for me at what could only have been in excess of ninety miles per hour. We saw each other. I saw the look in the other guy’s eyes because we were that close. A collision was absolutely inevitable. There is no way on this earth that it could have been avoided.

What happens next is EXTREMELY difficult to describe, but I will do my best. And this can be (and must be) taken to apply to everything that I am going to attempt to relate from this point onwards. Words, even the most carefully chosen words, capture no more than 1% of this experience at best, and even then very poorly. This is quite possibly the most frustrating thing about giving this account.

Across from the front of the car on the left, in almost the opposite direction to the oncoming vehicle, was a field. I suddenly became aware of a very large 'object' approaching slowly on a diagonal across this field. It was coming directly towards my car. Time was not functioning normally while this was happening, if it was functioning at all. I had the space to notice this happening, but I can’t explain how I was able to do that. The object when I first saw it, appeared to be about the size of a ten-floor tower block. It subjectively seemed to be about two or three hundred yards across the field. These size and distance descriptions are meaningless, as I’ll try to explain in a moment.

The object resembled a giant waterwheel lying on its side and rotating as it approached me and my vehicle. As it got closer, this didn’t take time, as we understand it. I saw that my first observation about its size was wildly inaccurate. It was more like the size of a small city. As it got closer still, I understood that all scale and distance estimates were meaningless. It was larger than what we think of as the world. As it approached me, I became aware of its power and significance. My mind interpreted this as being an up-close, giant-scale physical object.

Okay, now this part is particularly difficult to explain. As the object drew near to me, a kind of sensation came over my person and I knew exactly what this thing was. Not only that, but I knew everything that pertained to it, what it was, what it was doing, what it’s 'business' was with me, where and when I had seen it before, why I was seeing it now, and many many other things that I cannot now recall.

I had seen the object before I was born and I will see it again when I die. We all knew it before we were born. We will all see it when we die. But this information is eclipsed from us while we are alive. And that was why I was seeing it now in the experience, because I was in the process of dying in a fatal car crash.

Here’s what I can remember, as best it words can tell. This wheel wasn’t something that moved towards me through the world, or through reality somehow. That was an illusion that my senses were constructing for me. The wheel WAS reality, itself. It represented EVERY CONCEIVABLE POSSIBILITY for a life or for a world that could ever be envisioned or imagined. As it approached, I became aware that what we call our world was contained within it. It was simply one of the numberless slots or paddles in the 'water wheel.' It had always been so. My life, your life, our world, all of us - we were a part of this wheel structure and we had always been a part of this structure. It simply now made itself visible to me.

There then began the truly terrifying dimension of this experience. Words cannot even begin to describe the level of fear I experienced. The water wheel sort of rolled across me and then across the place where my car was in the road. As it did so, I began to be hit by each of the paddles in the wheel.

Remember that all of this is just a way of talking. It does not, and cannot, remotely describe the real situation as it actually was.

But some sense of it can be had by imagining that in the space of each 'paddle' there was a kind of spinning film of water, like a waterfall on its side. Imagine a film of water being thrown outward from the wheel in each slot, as if by centrifugal force. Imagine being slapped or splashed by each of these films as you collide with it and pass through it to the next one. This is what was happening. Except these weren’t just films of water. They were (for want of a better term) possible realities or what we might think of as universes or worlds. Again, our world, our entire universe as we normally think of it, was simply one among an infinite number of these. How did I know that there was an infinite number? I just did. A kind of knowing came with the event, and there was no doubting this knowing. It WAS so, and I knew it was so.

And because I had knowledge and understood what was happening in ways I can no longer communicate, I was afraid. I understood that I was about to be subject to the process that humans approximated with the term 'reincarnation.' This was why the wheel had come. I represented a kind of discrepancy that had to be fixed. The event, or perhaps the imminent event, on the highway had caused me to slip out of or fall between the paddles on the wheel. This structure had some kind of cosmic purpose of sorting things into their correct natural place. I was afraid and resisted being 'sorted' so the wheel stepped up its aggressive attempts to 'sort' me correctly.

With this came another understanding that frightened me even more. I knew that unless I soon selected one of these realities to slide back into, that the wheel would coerce the situation by deciding for me. One way or another, I WOULD be 'sorted' whether I liked it or not. If I didn’t choose for myself, I would simply be fitted into place at some nearest position on the wheel to the point where I failed to make the decision; if that makes sense. I was aware of having a limited ability to choose, but not much. Even that limited ability wasn’t much use because each reality slammed against me and through me before I could make much sense of what it contained.

Even I did not remain the same from one slot in the wheel to the next. It was as if when each film broke over me, I was destroyed and made again from the ground up as a completely new self. There was no continuous 'me' that traveled unaltered through that wheel and can somehow report back on this experience. This is just one of the many things that is so very hard to explain. The very idea of a continuous self was contradicted by this experience.

I have forgotten, or perhaps it was deliberately suppressed, the vast majority of what I saw in the various universes or paddles of the wheel. At the beginning, they seemed very similar to this world we inhabit, or believe ourselves to inhabit. For example, I have a floating memory of seeing various different scenarios of how the accident played out. I suspect that these were all nearby paddles on the wheel. In one of them I remember seeing what looked like my vehicle thrown right off the road and so badly damaged that it looked like it had been folded in the center like a pocket knife. I seemed to recall many other scenarios like this that I can no longer remember. To clarify: what I mean is that I seemed to file or flip through numerous conceivable (quantum?) possibilities for the outcome of the accident. I can remember doing this, but I cannot remember what any of these particular 'worlds' contained.

I have no explanation for why I failed to experience any of the phenomena usually reported with the imminent death situations like the tunnel, the light, and so on. I suspect that imminent death experiences are symbolic scenarios that flash up just as someone is entering or exiting the wheel, but before the situation has developed very far. At no stage did I see anything whatever that resembled what we humans would think of as an afterlife or spirit world or life after death realm. It’s as if we are either on the outer surface of the wheel itself, in one of its realized worlds, or else we are dead and we are the wheel itself. The wheel is a space where all uncreated possibility exists, but nothing completed or actual. And bear in mind that nothing was concealed from me. I was the ALL, and knew the ALL. I certainly don’t retain it or pretend do, but I knew it then.

I began to grow extremely panicked. Each time I thought I was just beginning to get a handle on things, I would be slapped over violently and ruthlessly into a new slot in the wheel and a whole new 'me' would crystallize, along with all the memories and assumptions that went along with that world. I remembered none of who I was just a moment ago in another paddle on the wheel. I had no memory whatsoever of where I had come from or the highway situation in my world. I had zero memory of that world. I knew I had come from a 'somewhere' but had no recollection of where that was, or even who I was. It was about the most bizarre thing that you could imagine.

Somehow though, and I can only assume that it happened without any conscious action on my part, the possibilities appearing in the wheel began to narrow down and become somewhat more familiar again. Scenarios associated with the accident began to appear once more. I say once more, but I have no real way of knowing whether this was a separate incidence of this to what I described above, or whether it was really the same incidence because time was functioning so unusually during the whole episode.

Again I saw, or seemed to see, variations or possible world-outcomes where I died in the crash. I seemed to understand intuitively that if I went 'into' any of these, I would be there for only a few moments or minutes at most, and then I would have to come out and face the wheel again almost immediately. I didn’t want to do this. But there was an odd kind of knowing associated with that too. The wheel didn’t seem bothered one way or the other. It didn’t seem to matter to it whether I emerged again in three minutes time or three decades time. All it cared about was sorting me, and there was a kind of ruthlessness to this that I will not soon forget.

I found myself back on the highway in what seemed to be a very short distance back up the road, still approaching the intersection. This is just one of the many mysteries associated with the event that I cannot explain. Did I choose a world which was a version of our universe in which the accident hadn’t quite happened yet, but was just seconds away from happening? I can’t say, because I have no memory of making that decision. I remember the look on that driver’s face as clearly as if it were yesterday. I remember him bracing back on the wheel. But I braked as I reached the intersection and that driver, or his car, were simply nowhere to be seen.

The wheel weaves as the wheel wills my friends

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Michael Newton, Journey of Souls

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

That's a particularly horrifying sounding NDE

There are a lot of really nice ones on that site, though

I have to be careful about this poo poo, because I'm so helplessly given to hoping that one day Everything Will Be Beautiful And Nothing Will Hurt

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

like a roulette ball, thats horrifying indeed

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

D-Pad posted:

Experience Description
A friend persuaded me to submit this account, against my natural tendency on the matter. I have no real interest in following it up or being contacted in any way. It was a very frightening episode. It is traumatic enough, to be honest, to recall it just once at length here. But having set out to describe it, I will be as frank and as accurate as language can allow.

On the 15th July 2013, at about 7.45am, I was on my way to work and approaching the intersection and getting ready to take a left-hand turn. This is a notoriously dangerous intersection on any day, and there have been many accidents there. It is hard to see if the intersection is clear from the right and the left turn is particularly hazardous. I was running late and in a flustered state of mind. I had an important meeting that I’d been planning for carefully over a number of days, and a really stupid delay at the last minute put all of that in jeopardy. It should also be understood that a much better traffic signal system exists there today than was in place at the time of this incident.

I approached the intersection in a hurry. I looked to the right and believed that I had correctly viewed that nothing was approaching from the right, so I made the left turn. As I crossed the intersection, I glanced right once more and saw a vehicle heading straight for me at what could only have been in excess of ninety miles per hour. We saw each other. I saw the look in the other guy’s eyes because we were that close. A collision was absolutely inevitable. There is no way on this earth that it could have been avoided.

What happens next is EXTREMELY difficult to describe, but I will do my best. And this can be (and must be) taken to apply to everything that I am going to attempt to relate from this point onwards. Words, even the most carefully chosen words, capture no more than 1% of this experience at best, and even then very poorly. This is quite possibly the most frustrating thing about giving this account.

Across from the front of the car on the left, in almost the opposite direction to the oncoming vehicle, was a field. I suddenly became aware of a very large 'object' approaching slowly on a diagonal across this field. It was coming directly towards my car. Time was not functioning normally while this was happening, if it was functioning at all. I had the space to notice this happening, but I can’t explain how I was able to do that. The object when I first saw it, appeared to be about the size of a ten-floor tower block. It subjectively seemed to be about two or three hundred yards across the field. These size and distance descriptions are meaningless, as I’ll try to explain in a moment.

The object resembled a giant waterwheel lying on its side and rotating as it approached me and my vehicle. As it got closer, this didn’t take time, as we understand it. I saw that my first observation about its size was wildly inaccurate. It was more like the size of a small city. As it got closer still, I understood that all scale and distance estimates were meaningless. It was larger than what we think of as the world. As it approached me, I became aware of its power and significance. My mind interpreted this as being an up-close, giant-scale physical object.

Okay, now this part is particularly difficult to explain. As the object drew near to me, a kind of sensation came over my person and I knew exactly what this thing was. Not only that, but I knew everything that pertained to it, what it was, what it was doing, what it’s 'business' was with me, where and when I had seen it before, why I was seeing it now, and many many other things that I cannot now recall.

I had seen the object before I was born and I will see it again when I die. We all knew it before we were born. We will all see it when we die. But this information is eclipsed from us while we are alive. And that was why I was seeing it now in the experience, because I was in the process of dying in a fatal car crash.

Here’s what I can remember, as best it words can tell. This wheel wasn’t something that moved towards me through the world, or through reality somehow. That was an illusion that my senses were constructing for me. The wheel WAS reality, itself. It represented EVERY CONCEIVABLE POSSIBILITY for a life or for a world that could ever be envisioned or imagined. As it approached, I became aware that what we call our world was contained within it. It was simply one of the numberless slots or paddles in the 'water wheel.' It had always been so. My life, your life, our world, all of us - we were a part of this wheel structure and we had always been a part of this structure. It simply now made itself visible to me.

There then began the truly terrifying dimension of this experience. Words cannot even begin to describe the level of fear I experienced. The water wheel sort of rolled across me and then across the place where my car was in the road. As it did so, I began to be hit by each of the paddles in the wheel.

Remember that all of this is just a way of talking. It does not, and cannot, remotely describe the real situation as it actually was.

But some sense of it can be had by imagining that in the space of each 'paddle' there was a kind of spinning film of water, like a waterfall on its side. Imagine a film of water being thrown outward from the wheel in each slot, as if by centrifugal force. Imagine being slapped or splashed by each of these films as you collide with it and pass through it to the next one. This is what was happening. Except these weren’t just films of water. They were (for want of a better term) possible realities or what we might think of as universes or worlds. Again, our world, our entire universe as we normally think of it, was simply one among an infinite number of these. How did I know that there was an infinite number? I just did. A kind of knowing came with the event, and there was no doubting this knowing. It WAS so, and I knew it was so.

And because I had knowledge and understood what was happening in ways I can no longer communicate, I was afraid. I understood that I was about to be subject to the process that humans approximated with the term 'reincarnation.' This was why the wheel had come. I represented a kind of discrepancy that had to be fixed. The event, or perhaps the imminent event, on the highway had caused me to slip out of or fall between the paddles on the wheel. This structure had some kind of cosmic purpose of sorting things into their correct natural place. I was afraid and resisted being 'sorted' so the wheel stepped up its aggressive attempts to 'sort' me correctly.

With this came another understanding that frightened me even more. I knew that unless I soon selected one of these realities to slide back into, that the wheel would coerce the situation by deciding for me. One way or another, I WOULD be 'sorted' whether I liked it or not. If I didn’t choose for myself, I would simply be fitted into place at some nearest position on the wheel to the point where I failed to make the decision; if that makes sense. I was aware of having a limited ability to choose, but not much. Even that limited ability wasn’t much use because each reality slammed against me and through me before I could make much sense of what it contained.

Even I did not remain the same from one slot in the wheel to the next. It was as if when each film broke over me, I was destroyed and made again from the ground up as a completely new self. There was no continuous 'me' that traveled unaltered through that wheel and can somehow report back on this experience. This is just one of the many things that is so very hard to explain. The very idea of a continuous self was contradicted by this experience.

I have forgotten, or perhaps it was deliberately suppressed, the vast majority of what I saw in the various universes or paddles of the wheel. At the beginning, they seemed very similar to this world we inhabit, or believe ourselves to inhabit. For example, I have a floating memory of seeing various different scenarios of how the accident played out. I suspect that these were all nearby paddles on the wheel. In one of them I remember seeing what looked like my vehicle thrown right off the road and so badly damaged that it looked like it had been folded in the center like a pocket knife. I seemed to recall many other scenarios like this that I can no longer remember. To clarify: what I mean is that I seemed to file or flip through numerous conceivable (quantum?) possibilities for the outcome of the accident. I can remember doing this, but I cannot remember what any of these particular 'worlds' contained.

I have no explanation for why I failed to experience any of the phenomena usually reported with the imminent death situations like the tunnel, the light, and so on. I suspect that imminent death experiences are symbolic scenarios that flash up just as someone is entering or exiting the wheel, but before the situation has developed very far. At no stage did I see anything whatever that resembled what we humans would think of as an afterlife or spirit world or life after death realm. It’s as if we are either on the outer surface of the wheel itself, in one of its realized worlds, or else we are dead and we are the wheel itself. The wheel is a space where all uncreated possibility exists, but nothing completed or actual. And bear in mind that nothing was concealed from me. I was the ALL, and knew the ALL. I certainly don’t retain it or pretend do, but I knew it then.

I began to grow extremely panicked. Each time I thought I was just beginning to get a handle on things, I would be slapped over violently and ruthlessly into a new slot in the wheel and a whole new 'me' would crystallize, along with all the memories and assumptions that went along with that world. I remembered none of who I was just a moment ago in another paddle on the wheel. I had no memory whatsoever of where I had come from or the highway situation in my world. I had zero memory of that world. I knew I had come from a 'somewhere' but had no recollection of where that was, or even who I was. It was about the most bizarre thing that you could imagine.

Somehow though, and I can only assume that it happened without any conscious action on my part, the possibilities appearing in the wheel began to narrow down and become somewhat more familiar again. Scenarios associated with the accident began to appear once more. I say once more, but I have no real way of knowing whether this was a separate incidence of this to what I described above, or whether it was really the same incidence because time was functioning so unusually during the whole episode.

Again I saw, or seemed to see, variations or possible world-outcomes where I died in the crash. I seemed to understand intuitively that if I went 'into' any of these, I would be there for only a few moments or minutes at most, and then I would have to come out and face the wheel again almost immediately. I didn’t want to do this. But there was an odd kind of knowing associated with that too. The wheel didn’t seem bothered one way or the other. It didn’t seem to matter to it whether I emerged again in three minutes time or three decades time. All it cared about was sorting me, and there was a kind of ruthlessness to this that I will not soon forget.

I found myself back on the highway in what seemed to be a very short distance back up the road, still approaching the intersection. This is just one of the many mysteries associated with the event that I cannot explain. Did I choose a world which was a version of our universe in which the accident hadn’t quite happened yet, but was just seconds away from happening? I can’t say, because I have no memory of making that decision. I remember the look on that driver’s face as clearly as if it were yesterday. I remember him bracing back on the wheel. But I braked as I reached the intersection and that driver, or his car, were simply nowhere to be seen.

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That is some real quantum immortality stuff.

Condolences to the version of that person who was calmly approaching an intersection then universe-swapped to find themselves a split-second away from being wiped out :(

Reminds me of Castaneda's "Wheel of time"

Carlos Castaneda posted:

For the shamans of ancient Mexico, time was something like a thought; a thought thought by something unrealizable in its magnitude. The logical argument for them was that man, being part of that thought which was thought by forces inconceivable to his mentality, still retained a small percentage of that thought; a percentage which under certain circumstances of extraordinary discipline could be redeemed.

Space was, for those shamans, an abstract realm of activity. They called it infinity, and referred to it as the sum total of all the endeavors of living creatures. Space was, for them, more accessible, something almost down-to-earth. It was as if they had a bigger percentage in the abstract formulation of space. According to the versions given by don Juan, the shamans of ancient Mexico never regarded time and space as obscure abstracts the way we do. For them, both time and space, although incomprehensible in their formulations, were an integral part of man.

Those shamans had another cognitive unit called the wheel of time. The way they explained the wheel of time was to say that time was like a tunnel of infinite length and width, a tunnel with reflective furrows. Every furrow was infinite, and there were infinite numbers of them. Living creatures were compulsorily made, by the force of life, to gaze into one furrow. To gaze into one furrow alone meant to be trapped by it, to live that furrow.

A warrior's final aim is to focus, through an act of profound discipline, his unwavering attention on the wheel of time in order to make it turn. Warriors who have succeeded in turning the wheel of time can gaze into any furrow and draw from it whatever they desire. To be free from the spellbinding force of gazing into only one of those furrows means that warriors can look in either direction: as time retreats or as it advances on them.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTz425YOsAw

Courage, goons!
Courage for our friends

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvjV7d-f6qs

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Andy Pandy posted:

That is some real quantum immortality stuff.

The most terrifying concept I’ve ever heard. Rivaled only by time is a flat circle.

Where my NDE peeps at up in this space?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Not me. A big (and growing) part of me feels like I probably need an NDE more than anything in the whole world, but, uh, would prefer not to come very close to dying!!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I've never had one but I'm obsessed with them. I've read hundreds of reports on that site, mostly in the Exceptional category but also ones that didn't make the cut. I'd already read that one above a couple times before reading it again now - I don't know of any other experiences which match it. It's also not the most frightening I've read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

munce posted:

https://ivolimited.us/press-release-ivo-ltd-introduces-the-worlds-first-pure-electric-thruster-for-satellites/

These guys are claiming they've made a working fuelless electric space thruster. Doesn't seem like it makes a lot of power, but it's a pretty big development if it works. The first step on the way to scifi spaceships.

Yeah this gonna be horseshit to drum up interest and money, the Emdrive also 'generated' thrust in a vacuum

Still, fun to imagine. All kinds of space poo poo becomes super easy if this works