Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I just get mad at shows on weeknights cause it usually means I can’t go, but also some of the best shows I’ve ever seen were on weeknights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Sunday night shows are always the wildest in my experience

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Doing alldayer gigs for charity fundraisers on Sundays back in the day were always my absolute faves. Just an all round great time with a ton of good people.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Nihonniboku posted:

Seeing him tonight in concert. He doesn't even go on until 11:30. wtf

It's worth the wait. He puts on an amazing show.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

CPL593H posted:

It's worth the wait. He puts on an amazing show.

Ha, well, I was more concerned about being an elder millennial and not having been out past midnight in probably a few years. But I'm still excited, never seen him in concert before, but his last record was my favorite of 2020 hands down.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Crowded shows still freak me out. Fuckin' service industry job throughout the pandemic has kinda traumatized me. Oh well. I used to drink and do way to many drugs at shows so maybe its a good thing. Hangovers in your 40's are something else.

In other news, this arrived today. Just in time for the weekend. :dadjoke:

Finally found it for a decent price.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

sporklift posted:

Crowded shows still freak me out.
It'll probably be less so these days since the indoor mask mandate has been removed in Portland, but up until that point I feel like concerts were the most respectful in terms of mask wearing. Of course beers felt shady, but nothing like movie theaters which I still absolutely don't want to go to now because of all the eating. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. I miss it so much.

I even missed a screening of Tammy and the T-Rex tonight. :smith:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Found a nice copy of Q/A for $5 today. Much better shape than the copy I've had for like 15 years.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

caligulamprey posted:

It'll probably be less so these days since the indoor mask mandate has been removed in Portland, but up until that point I feel like concerts were the most respectful in terms of mask wearing. Of course beers felt shady, but nothing like movie theaters which I still absolutely don't want to go to now because of all the eating. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. I miss it so much.

I even missed a screening of Tammy and the T-Rex tonight. :smith:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAVw6PBejGA

My friend went to see Juan Luis Guerra last night. She sent me this vid while waiting for the show to start and i just about had a panic attack

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

https://pitchfork.com/news/jack-white-urges-major-labels-to-launch-their-own-pressing-plants-in-new-video-message-watch/

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

wa27 posted:

Found a nice copy of Q/A for $5 today. Much better shape than the copy I've had for like 15 years.

The only time I saw this in the wild it was really scuffed up. I'm still trying to find one but I don't go too many places anymore. Great find.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

pwn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAVw6PBejGA

My friend went to see Juan Luis Guerra last night. She sent me this vid while waiting for the show to start and i just about had a panic attack

Going to a show like this must be such a miserable experience.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Does anyone have a recommendation for an amplifier that would have a headphone jack, and also an USB out port? I plan on keeping it in my entertainment stand, but I have two or three records that I haven't seen pop up on my backup sites that I would like to have digitally. I don't trust Amazon anymore to window shop, and the OP is about a decade old. I currently just have a Audio Technica player hooked into a Pioneer receiver, but might as well have something that I can hook headphones into directly, along with the USB port.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

CPL593H posted:

The only time I saw this in the wild it was really scuffed up. I'm still trying to find one but I don't go too many places anymore. Great find.

I also found my pristine copy of Q/A for $5 in a shop down in Lawrence, KS, but that was like 6 years ago.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

My copy of Q?A! was $15 and has a skip on Gut Feeling.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

My copy of Q?A! was $15 and has a skip on Gut Feeling.

Have you tried giving it a vacuum cleaning? Sometimes a chunk of something will get stuck to the disc but with play fine if you can pop it out. I've had this happen at least once.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I spend so much money on dumb bullshit it's really inexcusable I haven't bought a dang record washer yet.

(the Miami Connection 4K is essential. :argh:)

pwn
May 27, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

I spend so much money on dumb bullshit it's really inexcusable I haven't bought a dang record washer yet.

(the Miami Connection 4K is essential. :argh:)

I wish video stores were still a thing. I'd LOVE to watch the Miami Connection, it sounds fascinating, but I probably don't need to OWN it. Especially not for $40. So many of these releases are either not on streaming or are spread out across a dozen streamers.

Funny how home media prices are soaring back up towards that of VHS tapes in the 80s and 90s. Titles that weren't priced for sell-through were typically $80-100 or more, and only video stores could afford them. That was part of how a rental house could be assured titles wouldn't be stolen; they would charge the customer the new price for an unreturned tape, even if the price on the tape had dropped since release. It made no sense to steal it after a few months because you'd pay more than you could just buy it for.

Now it's the other way around. Home media is almost fully a fetish property now, and the market is largely FOMO-driven. One would be foolish to rent boutique releases now. Oh I have to pay new price for this disc that came out 19 minutes ago and is now OoP and going for $140 on eBay? Okay then.

Edit: I wish I had bought a new media shelf rather than 11 more titles for which I do not have shelf space :shepicide:

pwn fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 28, 2022

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

I wish video stores were still a thing. I'd LOVE to watch the Miami Connection, it sounds fascinating, but I probably don't need to OWN it. Especially not for $40. So many of these releases are either not on streaming or are spread out across a dozen streamers.

Funny how home media prices are soaring back up towards that of VHS tapes in the 80s and 90s. Titles that weren't priced for sell-through were typically $80-100 or more, and only video stores could afford them. That was part of how a rental house could be assured titles wouldn't be stolen; they would charge the customer the new price for an unreturned tape, even if the price on the tape had dropped since release. It made no sense to steal it after a few months because you'd pay more than you could just buy it for.

Now it's the other way around. Home media is almost fully a fetish property now, and the market is largely FOMO-driven. One would be foolish to rent boutique releases now. Oh I have to pay new price for this disc that came out 19 minutes ago and is now OoP and going for $140 on eBay? Okay then.

Edit: I wish I had bought a new media shelf rather than 11 more titles for which I do not have shelf space :shepicide:

It's free to watch on Tubi.

pwn
May 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

It's free to watch on Tubi.

I didn't know that. Thanks!!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

I didn't know that. Thanks!!

The selection of movies on there is crazy. It's basically what Netflix was like 15 years ago. They also have a bunch of different poo poo on there that have over priced OOP blu-rays and poo poo. I know they have a bunch of stuff Drafthouse released which was the case with Miami Connection.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Lads, its an Easter miracle, both my preorders from last year showed up today! Wildly different genres though.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Big Ears Festival in Knoxville Tennessee was incredibly good. I have never been to such a perfectly curated festival and all of the venues were solid. I would highly recommend checking it out next year if the lineup is up your alley.

I was pretty conservative in buying merch. Jeff Parker & The New Breed and a copy of the mssv album and a live CD of theirs with some Twin Peak covers and a few Mike Watt songs off of his Contemplating The Engine Room.

Edit: just realized that the Jeff Parker in the photo is showing the backside. Woops.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
Got these colorful represses of the rifts stuff. Also have a clear version of returnal coming eventually.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Glad to see there are plenty of RSD OPN copies out there.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Also Tiger Blood Tapes must have felt guilty about the preorder delay again, here's two more ____wave bandcamp album codes:

pwn
May 27, 2004

Turbinosamente posted:

Also Tiger Blood Tapes must have felt guilty about the preorder delay again, here's two more ____wave bandcamp album codes:

I gave these a loving home :love: thaaaanks

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

pwn posted:

I gave these a loving home :love: thaaaanks

You're welcome. Vaporwave is very hit or miss for me, which is why I don't buy it very often, but when I do it tickles the gibblies just right.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Found a crate of records on the street on the way to work today. Here's a lil taste:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Don't try and tell me that the world where this takes place has ever known joy.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Turbinosamente posted:

Also Tiger Blood Tapes must have felt guilty about the preorder delay again

Any micro record company I just write off any timely arrival. My recent Young Stoner Life Slime Language 2 shouldn't have taken 1 drat year. runescape​.​wav? get here whenever fam.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Not sure which I like better, the comprehensive collection of every single 50s novelty song or the whiplash going from Frankie Yankovic and Myron Floren to SIX FAT DUTCHMEN

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

CaptainBeefart posted:

Big Ears Festival in Knoxville Tennessee was incredibly good. I have never been to such a perfectly curated festival and all of the venues were solid. I would highly recommend checking it out next year if the lineup is up your alley.

I was pretty conservative in buying merch. Jeff Parker & The New Breed and a copy of the mssv album and a live CD of theirs with some Twin Peak covers and a few Mike Watt songs off of his Contemplating The Engine Room.

Was mssv good live? I'm sort of kicking myself for not going to see them when they were here

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Barry posted:

Was mssv good live? I'm sort of kicking myself for not going to see them when they were here

They were great, one of the highlights of the weekend for me.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

just learned of this thread, good stuff!

most recent purchase was the new repress of Broadcast's HaHa Sound — it was previously out of print and i'd been looking for it forever so i had to snatch it right when i saw it in the record store last week. played it twice over the weekend and it sounds stellar. RIP TRISH

i also just saw this on my twitter feed, an essential dub (nyabinghi) album and one of my favorites of all time. not on streaming as far as i know either, so get it while you can! completely like anything else i've heard, i listen to my copy often

https://twitter.com/boomkatonline/status/1508791664881680384

Wraith of J.O.I. fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 29, 2022

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

most recent purchase was the new repress of Broadcast's HaHa Sound — it was previously out of print and i'd been looking for it forever so i had to snatch it right when i saw it in the record store last week. played it twice over the weekend and it sounds stellar. RIP TRISH

i also just saw this on my twitter feed, an essential dub (nyabinghi) album and one of my favorites of all time. not on streaming as far as i know either, so get it while you can! completely like anything else i've heard, i listen to my copy often

I came close to picking up one of the Broadcast reissues yesterday, maybe I'll swing back this weekend. I haven't heard any of their studio stuff but The Black Session performance blows me away every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LicRs6WXVo

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

classic record. Know How You Stand is easily top ten track of all time for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDKWSQspGCs

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Does anybody have any suggestions for inner sleeves? I bunch of my records have the cheap flimsy paper ones that always get stuck, bunched up, and torn whenever I try and put my records back into the outer sleeve.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
I'm using these (https://www.amazon.com/Sleeves-Fide...ps%2C137&sr=8-3).

They've been fine so far and I strongly prefer them to any paper sleeves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

CatBlack posted:

I'm using these (https://www.amazon.com/Sleeves-Fide...ps%2C137&sr=8-3).

They've been fine so far and I strongly prefer them to any paper sleeves.

You don't have any issues with them bunching up like paper sleeves tend to do?