Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I AM GRANDO posted:

It contrasts batman as a square representative of the establishment against counterculture beatniks in a way that makes the establishment seem silly and insufficient to the task of managing society. That may not be intentional, and I will grant that the beatniks are always the henchpeople of the main villains and not the main villains themselves, who are generally not appealing.

Like, the idea of going to a dance club in the 60s and ordering an orange juice makes you seem silly where you’re not in on the joke if you’re surrounded by hip kids who know how to dance.

Considering the people who wrote and made the movie it's hard to imagine Batman isn't the one being funny here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

christmas boots posted:

IIRC As originally envisioned Hank is just kind of swinging his arms around as he’s having his rant/breakdown so she still gets hit but it’s an accidental thing that happens because he’s losing control and not a deliberate choice he makes to strike her

Ultimate cranks this up to 11 so Pym is just straight up a domestic abuser 24/7 and knowingly so.

yea he was supposed to be having a mental breakdown and flailing around and him hitting her was meant to be a 'oh god what am I doing' accident moment not 'OUTTA THE WAY BITCH I GOTTA REDEEM MYSELF'

That's why it sucks so hard that, like said, it feels like every Pym writer has a moment of 'I can undo that' that just winds up bringing it up again and dwelling on it, with poo poo like Ultimate being worst when they make him a very active, constant, abuser. Pym is a scumbag, that's kinda his thing, but yea 'hits his wife' was never meant to be part of that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

sexpig by night posted:

yea he was supposed to be having a mental breakdown and flailing around and him hitting her was meant to be a 'oh god what am I doing' accident moment not 'OUTTA THE WAY BITCH I GOTTA REDEEM MYSELF'

That's why it sucks so hard that, like said, it feels like every Pym writer has a moment of 'I can undo that' that just winds up bringing it up again and dwelling on it, with poo poo like Ultimate being worst when they make him a very active, constant, abuser. Pym is a scumbag, that's kinda his thing, but yea 'hits his wife' was never meant to be part of that.

A common theme with comic book writers is that they they just cannot leave poo poo alone and also kinda give the game away in that nothing after the 70s is really considered 'important' continuity wise unless it manages to be super popular, and even then not so much if the editor has an axe to grind/a nostalgia boner.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A common theme with comic book writers is that they they just cannot leave poo poo alone and also kinda give the game away in that nothing after the 70s is really considered 'important' continuity wise unless it manages to be super popular, and even then not so much if the editor has an axe to grind/a nostalgia boner.

I mean this isn’t necessarily true. Spider man brings up the clone saga a lot despite no one really liking it

Hell Ben Reilly is the Spider-Man right now in an exact reference to that saga

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

This is kind of my point about these conversations, they're always a game of telephone. Sins Past was not a good story but there was no rape involved and no decree that Spider-Man can't have premarital sex. I suppose this gets into "you gently caress one goat lmao" territory of taking one part of one line and inferring a ton from it but the "Peter is a virgin" thing seems to come from solely from this interview:

This interview came out just before they started the "Brand New Day" run where Peter Parker was very much a single unmarried man having sex with multiple suitors, so if the idea was "Spider-Man has to wait until marriage!" then Quesada did an absolutely horrible job of keeping this mandate.

But again "Sister Mary Marvel demanded Spider-Man be a virgin so they had Gwen Stacy raped instead" is on some level more outrageous/more darkly humorous so I 'get' it.

I know this isn’t the same thing, but this hilarious license contract for Spiderman specifies that he must be older than 16 if he is to have sex in any media (which is honestly not a bad stipulation to impose) nor is he to sell drugs unless he is under the influence of the black symbiote suit:

Also note that the sex rule is particular to the time while he is Spiderman. Peter Parker can gently caress whenever, as long as it’s with a girl or girls.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ambitious Spider posted:

Here's a good 35 part article about the whole behind the scenes of the Clone Saga mess:

http://www.benreillytribute.x10host.com/LifeofReilly1.html

For what it's worth I liked at the time. Ben Reilly/Scarlet Spider was cool, and Pete retiring with mary jane to have a family was a nice send off to the character.I also really liked the Spider-Girl comic that was the future of this time line.

I got to the part of the series where the clone plotline was arbitrarily extended for the 3rd time past its original organic ending and the author said "wow, we're already a third of the way through the story" and had a good lol

Then when I came back to this thread there were a couple new pages of goons defending comics and had another lol

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

It's especially weird because I'm pretty sure Reed Richards has slapped Susan Storm on multiple occasions over the course of his history, and somehow that hasn't defined his character nearly as completely as Hank Pym has been defined by his act of spousal abuse.

Maybe there's just less to work with for Pym. Like Mr Fantastic has enough other interesting stories and things going on in his life that continuity can quietly sweep the occasional messed up thing under the rug a little, people forget about it. Hank Pym though, that dumb slap is the most interesting thing he's ever done aside from building supervillain robots, so it sticks in people's minds to this day. It's like the informal rule that the more talented and famous a celebrity is, the less likely they are to be entirely remembered for doing something heinous. Nobody talks about John Lennon beating HIS wife, either.

Hell, Peter Parker himself has accidentally backhanded MJ at least once, nobody brings that up all the time. Partly because the radioactive spooge bit is funnier.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Crazy all these hypergenius superhuman archetypes hauling off and smacking spouses, something which would never even occur to me--a lame empathic everyday human--to do.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

the holy poopacy posted:

I got to the part of the series where the clone plotline was arbitrarily extended for the 3rd time past its original organic ending and the author said "wow, we're already a third of the way through the story" and had a good lol

Then when I came back to this thread there were a couple new pages of goons defending comics and had another lol

You seem easily amused

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Asterite34 posted:

It's especially weird because I'm pretty sure Reed Richards has slapped Susan Storm on multiple occasions over the course of his history, and somehow that hasn't defined his character nearly as completely as Hank Pym has been defined by his act of spousal abuse.

Maybe there's just less to work with for Pym. Like Mr Fantastic has enough other interesting stories and things going on in his life that continuity can quietly sweep the occasional messed up thing under the rug a little, people forget about it. Hank Pym though, that dumb slap is the most interesting thing he's ever done aside from building supervillain robots, so it sticks in people's minds to this day. It's like the informal rule that the more talented and famous a celebrity is, the less likely they are to be entirely remembered for doing something heinous. Nobody talks about John Lennon beating HIS wife, either.

Hell, Peter Parker himself has accidentally backhanded MJ at least once, nobody brings that up all the time. Partly because the radioactive spooge bit is funnier.

yea for Reed he has a more general arrogant, dismissive, and generally lovely to those around him including his wife, personality to work off if you want to make interpersonal drama.

Pym typically is portrayed as jaded and angry at times but 'loves and takes care of the people important to him' is a pretty major part too so rather than just giving him normal human conflicts and all the only real 'shocking dramatic betrayal' thing they pull from is 'and he just fuckin smacked the poo poo outta his wife, remember that? That was hosed.'

Also yea, most of Pym's 'things' have kinda been given to other people. Hank started the Avengers, Hank built Ultron (and a couple other crazy AIs I think? Dude loved crazy AIs), I think he was originally a pretty big player in the original Secret War, or some other Skrull-y thing, but those have all kinda faded or evolved beyond 'his time'

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Peter Parker getting his powers during high-school is right out. Middle school or college only.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
THE LEGACY VIRUS!

That is all.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
For every terrible character like Norman and Gwen's murderous children, you have a good character, like Big Wheel or Overdrive.

Or Overdrive piloting the Big Wheel.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
They put on there that spider-man is straight twice. Just to make sure.

e: Only spider-man has to be male, though. Peter Parker can be any gender.

Dr. Stab has a new favorite as of 22:45 on Mar 27, 2022

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Foxfire_ posted:

Peter Parker getting his powers during high-school is right out. Middle school or college only.

what the..? why?? :confused:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
So he can sell/distribute legal drugs though?

Dr. Stab posted:

Beat me to it. Along that same line though it doesn't say Spider-Man can't be Bi, only Peter has to be straight.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Volcott posted:

THE LEGACY VIRUS!

That is all.

Speaking of things that didn't age well, Uncanny X-Men #303, or the issue where child Ilyana dies of the Legacy Virus. (Sorry if you didn't know, but I'm not inclined to spoiler the results of a comic that's 30 years old.) I don't have a full copy on hand to cite, but I remember being very high on it when I first read it as a wee Jubilee fangirl preteen, and revisiting it later was extremely underwhelming. The writing is fine. It's not great, but for a story about the death of a child told through the perspective of a teenage witness, presented in a mainstream monthly comic book, it's fine.

I have two problems with it. One, the quality control is crap, and even teen me noticed a lot of coloring and inking mistakes. But okay, whatever, it's a floppy in a mainline Marvel story in the 90s, and as a wannabe comic creator, I know how much work goes into cranking those out. The other is that Scott Lobdell apparently decided that every female character needs to look like they're posing for an audition to be Victoria's Secret Angels as they try to sort out their grief over a close friend who's also a de-aged child who died in front of them.

This isn't even the most egregious panel, just one I could readily link to that also has some of the worst facial expressions in a Marvel comic not drawn by Greg Land (in an entire issue of inappropriate facial expressions, this one of Kitty may be the worst, but bobbleheaded Jubilee channeling Sarah Palmer circa Twin Peaks: The Return is also quite bad).

Okay, I did end up finding a full copy of the issue while trying to find more panels, and I encourage you to look it up solely for the art vs narrative dissonance. Highlights include Jubilee in a standard uniform for maximum buttfloss exposure, Moira McTaggart in an inexplicable skintight bodysuit, characters posing as if they're reacting to a nuclear explosion when they're merely looking at a digital photo album, an attempt at making beautiful people look like they're ugly crying, and my absolute favorite, SWOLE AS gently caress PROFESSOR X IN A BLACK BODY SUIT BECAUSE OKAY SURE.

90s Marvel was a trip I should really revisit.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I feel like even though Jubilee was a relatively new character at that point, she’d have been established well enough to know to be nice around a dying child.

How old is Kitty Pryde supposed to be in that comic? When I was reading comics in that era, I had a sense that she was early 30s, but in the 80s she was 14 or 15, so I have no idea. She definitely looks like a mom on a teen drama in that panel.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Croccers posted:

So he can sell/distribute legal drugs though?

but it says he's allowed to be in middle school

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

I AM GRANDO posted:

I feel like even though Jubilee was a relatively new character at that point, she’d have been established well enough to know to be nice around a dying child.

How old is Kitty Pryde supposed to be in that comic? When I was reading comics in that era, I had a sense that she was early 30s, but in the 80s she was 14 or 15, so I have no idea. She definitely looks like a mom on a teen drama in that panel.

Ages are basically choose your own adventure at this point. She's introduced in the early 80s as 12 and a half and ages in real time for a few years, but then that slows down and she ought to have been like 15 or 16 in the early 90s. But a few years later Warren Ellis has her dating a 30 year old (because he also thought she was a lot older than she was).

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
this thread always wraps back around to kitty pryde :v:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

moonmazed posted:

this thread always wraps back around to kitty pryde :v:

I realized that as I was typing up my rant, and figured, you know what, we’re just gonna go with it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I AM GRANDO posted:

I know this isn’t the same thing, but this hilarious license contract for Spiderman specifies that he must be older than 16 if he is to have sex in any media (which is honestly not a bad stipulation to impose) nor is he to sell drugs unless he is under the influence of the black symbiote suit:

Also note that the sex rule is particular to the time while he is Spiderman. Peter Parker can gently caress whenever, as long as it’s with a girl or girls.

Is it still canon that Peter Parker got molested by a pedophile when younger?

Asterite34 posted:

It's actually kinda funny that Reed Richards as an abusive domineering husband is all but canon and the stock parody of him in any other media (Venture Bros comes to mind) is taking the piss out of the whole 'standard 50s patriarch' thing he has going. Hell, it's still a running thing that literally every version of Reed except the mainline one turns evil.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean this isn’t necessarily true. Spider man brings up the clone saga a lot despite no one really liking it

Hell Ben Reilly is the Spider-Man right now in an exact reference to that saga

Again, the whole reason the clone saga went on so long is that it WAS super popular to begin with, so they stretched it to the point where all that interest drained away and they very obviously had no idea how to end it.

Comic writers really just can't stop themselves from wanting to correct the record/have the last word on things that everyone else just wants to move on from because they don't have any actually new ideas.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Rochallor posted:

(because he also thought she was a lot older than she was).

I swear she looked 18 your honour.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean, it was never really 'canon' - it was only ever part of a PSA comic, and I don't think those are considered 100% official. Nothing else has mentioned it since then.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Angry Salami posted:

I mean, it was never really 'canon' - it was only ever part of a PSA comic, and I don't think those are considered 100% official. Nothing else has mentioned it since then.

It's still kinda loving lol given the whole thing is narrated by Spider-man standing on a rooftop and you think like, major childhood trauma MIGHT have some influence on a legendarily guilt-ridden character risking life and limb daily as a vigilante?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's still kinda loving lol given the whole thing is narrated by Spider-man standing on a rooftop and you think like, major childhood trauma MIGHT have some influence on a legendarily guilt-ridden character risking life and limb daily as a vigilante?

IIRC the author wanted to make Uncle Ben the molester only for Marvel's editors to shoot it down. One of the few (publicized) instances I can think of where the higher-ups were the sane ones.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rochallor posted:

Ages are basically choose your own adventure at this point. She's introduced in the early 80s as 12 and a half and ages in real time for a few years, but then that slows down and she ought to have been like 15 or 16 in the early 90s. But a few years later Warren Ellis has her dating a 30 year old (because he also thought she was a lot older than she was).

She's been fairly consistently 25 since the mid-00s.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Edge & Christian posted:

Xarus promises to take over the world for vampires and sends out suicide bomber vampires to jump into crowded places in daylight and explode into a blood mist, and it's revealed the suicide bomber vampires have been given a virus to make their vampire blood even more vampire-infectious.
Why would vampires want to turn everyone into vampires? They need humans to eat, right?

I AM GRANDO posted:

Dr. Stab posted:

You have both misread this. The first list applies to all Spider-Mans, both in and out of costume. The second applies only to Peter Parker (whether in or out of costume). This is because Peter Parker is not the only character to ever have used the super-hero identity "Spider-Man". So some rules apply to all Spider-Mans and some only to a specific Spider-Man.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

pentyne posted:

Spider man storylines get so bad that previously reviled ones end up looking better.

The Spider-clone saga was a notorious story that was pretty widely hated, and by the time One More Day came out then reaction to it was "drat, clone saga really wasn't that bad was it?"

Also couldn't be insinuated that Batman went down on Catwoman during foreplay because "heroes don't do that"

Can heroes do that outside of foreplay?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Is it still foreplay if you don't have intercourse after?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Jedit posted:

She's been fairly consistently 25 since the mid-00s.

Well of course, nobody can be older than 29 and we all know Kitty used to be younger than Cyclops et al, so 25 she stays.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

He tells the story to a kid to help him understand that it’s not his fault that he was molested, that there’s nothing wrong with him, and that he will get help if he tells adults in his life what happened. It’s a great move for helping to communicate with kids, even if it’s silly when transposed into the melodramatic world of regular superhero comics. I’m surprised the company allowed it, honestly.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

AceOfFlames posted:

IIRC the author wanted to make Uncle Ben the molester only for Marvel's editors to shoot it down. One of the few (publicized) instances I can think of where the higher-ups were the sane ones.

I have never heard that, but I am willing that it is not true, and that the only source is "Ten CRAZY classic comics YOU WON'T BELIEVE when WE POST PANELS OUT OF CONTEXT!"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's actually kinda funny that Reed Richards as an abusive domineering husband is all but canon and the stock parody of him in any other media (Venture Bros comes to mind) is taking the piss out of the whole 'standard 50s patriarch' thing he has going. Hell, it's still a running thing that literally every version of Reed except the mainline one turns evil.

Again, the whole reason the clone saga went on so long is that it WAS super popular to begin with, so they stretched it to the point where all that interest drained away and they very obviously had no idea how to end it.

Comic writers really just can't stop themselves from wanting to correct the record/have the last word on things that everyone else just wants to move on from because they don't have any actually new ideas.

No it really isn’t. The clone saga actually wasn’t really referenced all that much until I wanna say 2015? I think that’s when Dan Slott did his clone conspiracy storyline which opened the floodgates of it coming back as they try to make Ben Reilly (who was the least popular part of the saga) a thing. It never takes but they try.

Before that the only references to the saga were the non canon book were they let the original authors tell the story they had planned and the Ultimate universe which did it’s own version of it.

But for like 15 years spider man stayed as far away from it as possible

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

For some reason I thought we were talking about Ultimate Spider-Man, where a very much adult Black Cat has been hitting on Spidey since the first time they exchange words. Can't remember if it was before or after Peter's 16th birthday, but when she finally has the chance to get intimate with him, the reveal of him still being a teenager was a huge enough shock that she vomits into his lap.

Certainly more tasteful than a few publication years earlier when Peter and Wolverine got bodyswapped and Wolvie proceeded to make advances on MJ

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Tiggum posted:

You have both misread this. The first list applies to all Spider-Mans, both in and out of costume. The second applies only to Peter Parker (whether in or out of costume). This is because Peter Parker is not the only character to ever have used the super-hero identity "Spider-Man". So some rules apply to all Spider-Mans and some only to a specific Spider-Man.

Note also the "unless Marvel has established that this alter ego is homosexual" line. So what those provisions boil down to is "Marvel still has the control over that decision, Fox? can't just arbitrarily change fundamental character things".

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

lol at people still using the word "foreplay"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Foreplay scoreplay and seven years ago...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I agree. It’s so great that aft play has lost its stigma, especially among men.