Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I have a very low level Vizio TV from 4 years ago, and some janky-rear end internet service, and it's incredible the difference between the various apps:

Hulu, Apple TV+ - They absolutely hate my TV. They'll play maybe one episode of a show, maybe, then completely poo poo the bed for no reason I can see.

HBO MAX, Disney+, Paramount+ - These mostly seem to be friends with my TV, though occasional arguments arise.

Netflix, Prime Video - They just play stuff with no backtalk and it's great. No errors, no buffering, no poo poo.

My Vizio hates prime and paramount Plus and HBO max randomly turns off which is very annoying. Everything else works great but navigating paramount Plus is the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I have an older LG TV that stopped supporting plex and never had support for other stuff like HBO, so I picked up the newer chrome cast that's out there and it plays everything really well.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Glottis posted:

There is no "knowing what's going on" in that show. The people writing it don't even know what is going on. Either you enjoy complete insanity or not.

veni veni veni posted:

It's insane but it's not hard to follow or anything imo.

Yeah, Raised by Wolves is super "the subtext is text." It's all insane poo poo but it's super easy to follow imo, I don't get the confusion some people have (haven't watched S2 yet).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

I have a very low level Vizio TV from 4 years ago, and some janky-rear end internet service, and it's incredible the difference between the various apps:

Hulu, Apple TV+ - They absolutely hate my TV. They'll play maybe one episode of a show, maybe, then completely poo poo the bed for no reason I can see.

HBO MAX, Disney+, Paramount+ - These mostly seem to be friends with my TV, though occasional arguments arise.

Netflix, Prime Video - They just play stuff with no backtalk and it's great. No errors, no buffering, no poo poo.

I have a LG that was keeping up for a bit but I finally threw in the towel and got a Fire stick (and like 500 Chromecasts I've gathered through the years). Now I feel dumb for waiting, it's so much faster than the native apps.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Yeah, using my first generation Chromecast on my 10 year old TV is so much easier than anything else I’ve seen at friends’ homes. Smartphone is the best remote.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah, Raised by Wolves is super "the subtext is text." It's all insane poo poo but it's super easy to follow imo, I don't get the confusion some people have (haven't watched S2 yet).

Season 2, certainly the last few episodes of it especially, are excessively more batshit insane

Not that I'd say it's difficult to follow even then, just, the act of describing it to someone feels like trying to teach someone a language on the fly by just uttering a few sentences in it and then asking "did you understand"

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I have a Samsung tablet that I watch all my streaming stuff on and I've never had a problem with any of them except for Hulu not working for a bit. But I'm not even paying for that one so I don't give a poo poo.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The new episode of Atlanta

Holy gently caress dude

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I have a brand new very nice Samsung TV and Hulu struggles to work. It's just a dogshit app.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'll just be watching Hulu on the Vizio for a while and then all of a sudden it'll go "that's all the television there is" and just stop working for an indeterminate amount of time. Completely and totally stop working. I've either got to give up on that movie or show or pull out my tablet/phone and use that. Somewhere around a half hour to 2 hours later Hulu will decide to work again. It's the darndest thing.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

i just stream everything using an Nvidia shield, works pretty good, allegedly

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

When I worked at Netflix I eventually just started telling people with Smart TVs and Chromecasts to buy a basic Roku. I got a lot of calls over Smart TVs, and Chromecasts were just too complicated for some people. Please always connect your streaming device directly to your modem or router via Ethernet wire.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I use a cheap smart TV and it works fine

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
In my experience the native apps on smart tvs work fine until suddenly they don't so at that point I grab a cheap streaming stick until the TV gets replaced and the cycle begins anew

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

I'll just be watching Hulu on the Vizio for a while and then all of a sudden it'll go "that's all the television there is" and just stop working for an indeterminate amount of time. Completely and totally stop working. I've either got to give up on that movie or show or pull out my tablet/phone and use that. Somewhere around a half hour to 2 hours later Hulu will decide to work again. It's the darndest thing.

I completely forgot that the Hulu app is also awful on my Vizio. It's so bad that I haven't used the app in months and just stream stuff from my phone's app to the tv

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I got a 4K apple TV back when Directv streaming was doing a "sign up for our service for a month and we'll give you one." It's a great device (and obviously it playing with the other apple stuff in the house nicely is a bonus), but if it ever broke I don't think I could stomach paying for a replacement at, what, 2-3x the cost of the equivalent Roku?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I have an old Roku that I used for a long time but HBO's app is borderline unusable on it, and I have a PS4 but the Hulu app freezes completely randomly on it, and I have a PS5 but the AppleTV app won't let me login whatsoever, so it's really a question of what streaming service to do without (AppleTV obviously) and which room to put each in

I also have a PS3 I was using for a long time as a secondary streaming device but one day the HBO app updated to say it was no longer going to work on PS3s and to get a newer system:laffo:

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Boxman posted:

I got a 4K apple TV back when Directv streaming was doing a "sign up for our service for a month and we'll give you one." It's a great device (and obviously it playing with the other apple stuff in the house nicely is a bonus), but if it ever broke I don't think I could stomach paying for a replacement at, what, 2-3x the cost of the equivalent Roku?

:same:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just use the cheapest model Roku box and literally never have problems with the streaming apps anymore

edit: like, I have a smart TV, and Roku works so much better. just get one. they're like 15 bucks at target

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Servant pretty much answered zero this season. Thankfully next season is the last, but I am starting to wonder if they even truly know the answers.

Edit: About streaming devices. I have tried Roku, Chromecast, and Fire (that Cube thing was the last one I tried), but I always come back to AppleTV. It has it's own shortcomings, but it is worth the extra money to me. That said do you really need it now that the AppleTV app is out there? Of course not, but every time I tried another device I always take it back within days and go back to AppleTV. I guess just personal preference.

The only other thing I ever found that I liked is the webOS that comes with my LG OLED CXs. I like the wii like remote feature and the OS is not that bad at all. Every once and awhile I have some app issues, but rarely.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Not new but I'm in the midst of watching The Pacific on HBO Max, basically the Pacific War version of Band of Brothers. Pretty incredible how it whipsaws from a surprisingly effective romantic drama in Melbourne in one episode to some of the most brutal scenes of battle I've seen anywhere Rami Malek splunking rocks in the open skull of a dead Japanese soldier broke me as much as it did Sledge. How have I never heard of the Battle of Peleiliu?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

nate fisher posted:

Servant pretty much answered zero this season. Thankfully next season is the last, but I am starting to wonder if they even truly know the answers.

Yeah, I watched the first few episodes of the new season, and realized they were just treading water. I couldn't even remember if the baby was real or not again.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

How have I never heard of the Battle of Peleiliu?

Speaking as someone who knows a lot about the War in the Pacific: because it really sucked and it was really, really pointless.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

nate fisher posted:

I'm glad I quit watching in mid season 2. I get more grouchy about this crap the older I get. I don't want mysteries, I don't want cliffhangers, I don't want dangling threads, I just want everything wrapped up nice and neat. Real life has enough mysteries and intangibles already, I don't need that in my fiction.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
didn't know Servant had a season 2, and now am not really in a hurry to watch it lmao

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

precision posted:

didn't know Servant had a season 2, and now am not really in a hurry to watch it lmao

It's finished season 3

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

GonSmithe posted:

I should clarify - it's impossible to know what might happen next because every moment is totally nonsense. There are no clear arcs. For instance, the concept of someone turning into a loving tree was clear but came out of nowhere. Confusing? No. Still absolute nonsense

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Glottis posted:

I should clarify - it's impossible to know what might happen next because every moment is totally nonsense. There are no clear arcs. For instance, the concept of someone turning into a loving tree was clear but came out of nowhere. Confusing? No. Still absolute nonsense
Yeah that could never happen in real life! Hope someone got fired for that blunder.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
It's amazing how Servant was originally planned to be 60 episodes, then was shortened to 4 and now 3 seasons. You saying nothing substantial happened in season 2 doesn't give me a lot of hope there. I watched season 1 but it despite some good performances by the actors I have very little interest in how it all pans out.

On a more positive note, Severance keeps delivering with each new episode, it's definitely one of the most compelling new series in recent memory.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Speaking of BoB and The Pacific I am absolutely stoked for the eventual Mighty 8th series and boy is that one going to be hugely depressing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Glottis posted:

if you are asking questions like this you are missing the point of the show. The show has zero interest in going into the details of how things work. It's not hard sci fi it's a fantasy show. The only important aspect of Sue turning into a tree was why she was turned into a tree, which we found out.

Idg how people have made it through two seasons of this show and are still sitting there like "when are they going to explain in logical detail a sensible reason for why the characters get their chores by eating magic marbles". it's like watching Zardoz and wishing it was more like the Expanse.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

George H.W. oval office posted:

Speaking of BoB and The Pacific I am absolutely stoked for the eventual Mighty 8th series and boy is that one going to be hugely depressing.

more so than the others?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Idg how people have made it through two seasons of this show and are still sitting there like "when are they going to explain in logical detail a sensible reason for why the characters get their chores by eating magic marbles". it's like watching Zardoz and wishing it was more like the Expanse.
Just to be clear, only the androids swallow the marbles right? They just swallow stuff because it's a convenient way to hold things

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Glottis posted:

Please stop consuming media like this. You are complaining about someone turning into a tree in a show about a robot called a Necromancer created by a civilizations of Atheists.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Glottis posted:

Dogg, a good chunk of the season has characters searching for the tree & saying the tree is important. The Marcus character specifically believes that its fruit will have magical healing properties and help usher in a utopia.

They then show exactly how the tree works - like, step-by-step. There's literally an instructional video.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Been watching through the BBC series Ghosts on HBOmax. Really enjoying it so far, my fave bit has been the normally smart caveman being turned into a crazy conspiracy theorist by Youtube's autoplay function. Hilarious AND accurate.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm planning to get to the BBC version, but the US remake of Ghosts on CBS is hilarious. Just great casting all around and consistently makes me laugh.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah both versions of Ghosts are really good. it's the sort of premise that could be done really bad, and the US version comes close to being bad, but never quite gets there.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Blade Runner 2049 is number 2 on Netflix. Seems like it’s getting a second life after being a box office bomb, just like the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

what are some good ghost in the shells. I keep seeing new ones pop up every few years. I've only seen the movie but the movie was sweet