Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I have discovered that I missed the Bolt of Gransax and now it's too late to go back (capital is ashen). So if I ask my friend to drop their version of it for me to pick up, is that enough to get the achievement or do I have to pick it up in my own game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

Vermain posted:

are you talking about the yelough anix boss? if you're there, you can access mogwhyn dynasty conventionally and get swarm of flies which will absolutely dumpster large bosses like him

Nah, the guy that follows after the lake of rot, that you climb into the coffin and go down the waterfall to fight.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

the_steve posted:

Where's a good place to grind XP early on?

Also grab a bleed weapon and kill the big sleepy dragon in Dragonbarrow. You can only do it once, but it's like 75k souls.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Anyone around the twin gargoyles in Siofra? I’ve been trying to summon help for like twenty minutes and every time I get the “cannot summon cooperator” message. I’ve got the LLJK and lljk passwords up

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Sample_text posted:

So my Faith Knight character is hard stuck on Astel . After over 20 attempts I find it impossible to beat him.
Hitting him in melee is too hard since his head is the only thing i can lock on to . I tried fighting unlocked and hitting his legs and they simply fidget and move way too much for me to get reliable hits in. That and his repeated stomps into the ground will kill me if I stay close to him for too long.

Hitting him with spells seems better, but he is insanely resistant to everything I throw at him. I tried Frenzied Burst, Lightning Spear and Stone of Gurranq. They barely deal 200+ damage to his head and I usually run out of mana even with 7 flasks. That and, again, I can only lock on to his head, and that's the part that bobs around the most.

My full mage managed to clean him up in just 2 beams. and my rogue bled his legs to death with a twinblade. This character seems hard stuck.
Any tips?
Don't tell me to get mimic tear since I already used all my glovewort to upgrade another summon.

I might suggest looking through your arsenal and your smithing shards. It took me some doing to fight him my first time with straight swords and a halberd, but my latest run with the Winged Scythe was much smoother. Sure he resists Sacred damage, but the tall strokes of the scythe that as long as I was under him 100% of attacks connected. Maybe see if you've got the stats for anything with a taller reach.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
How do you legitimately fight godskins? The game seems to non-stop throw them at you past the midgame, so I figured I'd slap on a big shield and try to learn the patterns but hell if I can figure it out. Looks like especially the noble can do a 360 AoE burst (with a DoT too) with no windup instantly whenever he wants. I can never attack proactively, it always 100% seems to get punished, but even when I'm doing a fast guard counter (claws) after a big attack or a combo the boss can just go "nope" and do the AoE. I can't raise my shield or dodge before it goes off, so it seems to just always hit & wether or not I get through is just dumb luck.

What the hell happened to the boss designer from the old Souls-games, the fun-to-fight bosses are a vanishing minority compared to either copypastes (but now there's two godskins in a row, not at once! It's different!), miserable memorization tests, or both.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sample_text posted:

Nah, the guy that follows after the lake of rot, that you climb into the coffin and go down the waterfall to fight.

you probably just need a more upgraded seal, then. i had a +25 clawmark when i fought that guy and stone was doing 500 per hit to his dome

as an alternative, you can also try using the erdtree bow with holy or bleed arrows. you'll probably have the stats for it and the two arrow-focused talismans are pretty easy to get

Dropbear posted:

How do you legitimately fight godskins?

acolyte is mostly fair, although the spinning shield can catch you pretty easily if you don't immediately roll away from it. noble should be parried on his flourish + single stab or cheesed because, as you said, he has like a 5-frame windup knockback AoE and a black flame AoE that is really hard to not get clipped by, as well as a multistab that's probably a twoshot if you aren't at absolutely max vigor with 50+ absorption

i personally just use endure + lance talisman with the great epee and facetank him. works well for his rolling attack, too, since it'll cancel the roll if you just eat the first hit with endure

Vermain fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 27, 2022

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dropbear posted:

How do you legitimately fight godskins? The game seems to non-stop throw them at you past the midgame, so I figured I'd slap on a big shield and try to learn the patterns but hell if I can figure it out. Looks like especially the noble can do a 360 AoE burst (with a DoT too) with no windup instantly whenever he wants. I can never attack proactively, it always 100% seems to get punished, but even when I'm doing a fast guard counter (claws) after a big attack or a combo the boss can just go "nope" and do the AoE. I can't raise my shield or dodge before it goes off, so it seems to just always hit & wether or not I get through is just dumb luck.

What the hell happened to the boss designer from the old Souls-games, the fun-to-fight bosses are a vanishing minority compared to either copypastes (but now there's two godskins in a row, not at once! It's different!), miserable memorization tests, or both.

Pretty sure they have tells on all their moves and aren't tough solo (the duo is more tedious than difficult). I remember the aoe being one of the easier to avoid unless I'm not thinking of the right move. The apostle is a pushover especially when it starts doing the gumby moves.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
This game is honestly too long and too big. Nearly every minidungeon ends in a random enemy being used as a boss, or in a boss from their rotating list of stock bosses (tree spirit, catacombs watchdog, crucible knight, tree spirit, catacombs wraith, misbegotten lion, star monster, yet another gargoyle, tree spirit, whatever).

I can remember like, handful of actual unique, interesting, fun bosses so far? That it has so many random dungeons or hidden basements that all contain one item means if you are doing it blind, to actually find the stuff you want for your build you have to explore EVERYthing because if you don't do dungeon #31, tucked in the corner over there, you will miss out on its one piece of actual loot, which was the incantation/weapon/talisman you needed and didn't even know you missed.

If the game was half the size it'd be a lot stronger I think. Condense the little minidungeons down and let them have more than one item of loot per dungeon, come up with some unique, flavorful bosses for them, make it so an hour long play session doesn't consist of me scrolling through the map, going "ah, that might be something," travelling there, finding a dungeon, going through it, getting one new thing, and fighting another copy-pasted guy, okay, that's it for today!

I'm getting real burned out and I'm sad because it's still a real fun game.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Perfect Potato posted:

Incantations are fun in how varied, easily accessible, and stupidly broken they can be but the best faith caster is ironically probably just an ARC build with like 22-25 faith. Dragon Communion Seal upgrading with somber stones is a major point in its favor. Best incantations based on my two playthroughs are

Black Flame (easily obtained in Stormveil behind gargoyle door) - fireball with hp % based dot
Frenzied Burst - optic blast sniper rifle that kills from such a distance that you won't even draw aggro
Rot Breath - shaves off half a boss' hitpoints with one fp bar
Dragonice - for mobs and anything immune to rot
Swarm of Flies (requires Varre's quest to access early) - quick cast spell for an instant bleed on anything bleedable, don't even need a weapon with this against fleshies
Lightning Spear - uncharged it's too fast for the game's input reading to handle, useful against anything fire resistant
Flame Strength/Golden Vow/Blackflame Protection - general buffs
Bloodflame Blade - fire damage and bleed on anything enchantable
Divine Lord's Protection - hyper holy protection for the awful final boss
Giantsflame - Big Fireball
Flames of Frenzy - multihit on anything big
Heal - for those awful revenant creatures, mostly for skipping that one bit in Elphael

Quoting so I can find it later.

Also: SkeleSnakeskulls > Wheel Skeletons, Change my mind.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Sample_text posted:

So my Faith Knight character is hard stuck on Astel . After over 20 attempts I find it impossible to beat him.
Hitting him in melee is too hard since his head is the only thing i can lock on to . I tried fighting unlocked and hitting his legs and they simply fidget and move way too much for me to get reliable hits in. That and his repeated stomps into the ground will kill me if I stay close to him for too long.

Hitting him with spells seems better, but he is insanely resistant to everything I throw at him. I tried Frenzied Burst, Lightning Spear and Stone of Gurranq. They barely deal 200+ damage to his head and I usually run out of mana even with 7 flasks. That and, again, I can only lock on to his head, and that's the part that bobs around the most.

My full mage managed to clean him up in just 2 beams. and my rogue bled his legs to death with a twinblade. This character seems hard stuck.
Any tips?
Don't tell me to get mimic tear since I already used all my glovewort to upgrade another summon.

You could use Bloodflame blade on that twinblade to bleed him. I imagine the dragon breath incantations would also be really good against him. Other than that just come back after you level up and get a good faith weapon. I mainly used the Black Knifes WA to chunk health off him.

It's a shame that you already used all your glovewart because Latenna is absolutely amazing against him, she can shoot across the whole arena and doesn't give a poo poo about him teleporting.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Pretty sure they have tells on all their moves and aren't tough solo (the duo is more tedious than difficult). I remember the aoe being one of the easier to avoid unless I'm not thinking of the right move. The apostle is a pushover especially when it starts doing the gumby moves.

Maybe the move I'm thinking of has a tell, but if the noble starts it after I've started an R1 or guard counter, it goes off before I can dodge or block. Makes it something like 4-5 frames I think, which is just impossible to react to.

Maybe I've just been unlucky, but the drat thing just keeps mashing that sometimes.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

FlocksOfMice posted:

If the game was half the size it'd be a lot stronger I think.

without question, yes

as it stands, it's the gaming equivalent of a college student putting block quotes into their paper to hit the word minimum on an essay. that's not a unique problem for open world games to have, but it's a frustrating letdown after the promise of limgrave and a definite step back after the relatively tight level and world design of past fromsoft titles

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Is it me and confirmation bias, or does the mechanic where you kill a group of enemies and get flasks back just stop happening late game?

Yeah, I have more flasks than when I started, but if you want me to clear 15 groups of tough enemies between graces Imma need some flasks.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

kazil posted:

Is it me and confirmation bias, or does the mechanic where you kill a group of enemies and get flasks back just stop happening late game?

Yeah, I have more flasks than when I started, but if you want me to clear 15 groups of tough enemies between graces Imma need some flasks.

it's probably just tuned per zone according to a particular metric. i'd still get it occasionally in leyndell but it just absolutely did not happen in volcano manor anywhere, ever, regardless of how thorough i was with my murderin'

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It doesn’t happen inside dungeons, I think. Only in the overworld.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

kazil posted:

most places classified as a dungeon don't really have that so there's an attrition challenge to getting from grace to grace, and some of the endgame areas like farum azula and haligtree are treated as big legacy dungeons, that might be it?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

CYBEReris posted:

most places classified as a dungeon don't really have that so there's an attrition challenge to getting from grace to grace, and some of the endgame areas like farum azula and haligtree are treated as big legacy dungeons, that might be it?

Probably this. I was doing the first part of Haligtree, which I didn't really think of as a dungeon proper.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

A good rule of thumb is that if you can use your horse, that is treated as an open-world area and your flasks regen after killing packs.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

sure would be cool to have important things like "this flask regen mechanic doesn't work in specific areas" documented or telegraphed anywhere in game

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
What are the general tips for Godrick, and what's the recommended level? I'm running a vaguely bleed-focused Dex/int build with the great epee, happy to use summons too.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Blasphemous Blade and Mimic Tear is how I beat Naturalborn. Both are excellent additions to your toolkit as a Faith build. Even a not fully upgraded mimic is better than not having it in certain situations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There are 6 or 7 slow rear end trolls near roderikas shack that give 1000 runes each. You can bleed them with a fast weapon on horseback

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Vermain posted:

without question, yes

as it stands, it's the gaming equivalent of a college student putting block quotes into their paper to hit the word minimum on an essay. that's not a unique problem for open world games to have, but it's a frustrating letdown after the promise of limgrave and a definite step back after the relatively tight level and world design of past fromsoft titles

Yes the promise of a castle and a magic academy. The rest of the game just couldn’t live up to that bland high

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The Godskin stringbean is the easiest one and just dodging past his stretchy blade spin and hitting his legs is a lot of damage.
Godskin fatty I find difficult and as mentioned has a lot of moves that come out fast, faster then the other one even and I find it hard to avoid his rolly polly move when he starts it up.

The duo I don't really find that hard, you can use the pillars to split them up and one of them will always seem to power walk towards you, and that's not even abusing their sleepiness.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yes the promise of a castle and a magic academy. The rest of the game just couldn’t live up to that bland high

"the promise of limgrave" is that it was clearly the most focus-tested and polished of the open world areas and had enough out-of-the-way nooks, points of interests, world bosses, and hidden dungeons to tantalize the imagination and envisage an entire game that takes the concept and expands out from it

then you get to liurnia and figure out that, no, they're just going to use the same dungeon tilesets and the same enemies and same points of interest and that sense of engagement quickly turns to a sense of slog as you fruitlessly search for something novel only to come up empty-handed time and again beyond the initial burst of "wow this looks cool" from areas like siofra or caelid

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don’t agree that the game would be better if it was smaller. Sometimes the sheer size of a journey can be a feature. Not always. Maybe not even often. But sometimes. I think that’s a severely unfashionable or even out of touch opinion around here but I really think Elden Ring justifies its size in a way many games don’t.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Sample_text posted:

Any tips?

I was having trouble on my faith claw build for similar reason. I then whipped out my backup pulley crossbow and shot him in the head repeatedly for an easy win.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Vermain posted:

sure would be cool to have important things like "this flask regen mechanic doesn't work in specific areas" documented or telegraphed anywhere in game

This being a souls, I'm just grateful when it does happen

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
All Fromsofts smaller and allegedly more focused games over the last decade have been visibly unfinished and full of chop and change last minute fuckery, so I don’t think a reduction of scope would really have helped

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Harrow posted:

but I really think Elden Ring justifies its size in a way many games don’t.

purely non-hostile/argumentative curiosity, here: what's your reasoning behind this?

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Phenotype posted:

I still don't know how to beat a Crucible Knight "fairly," at least the ones with the shield.

You don't, because like many other humanoid enemies/bosses in this game, it's never really "your turn". If you have a fast weapon you can hit once, maybe twice after their slowest combo, but that's it. Speedruns/no hit runs exactly know their safe windows and if you watch those guys playing you'll see how few they are.

This is not a game you can approach like Bloodborne or Sekiro where you can use some cool spacing strategies or "stay in the zone", because the zone is full of 2 hit kill aoe attacks that literally turn the enemy 180° to track you and the bosses you can kill "fairly" without going insane are not the majority. Mostly you just win by hacking and slashing with bigger numbers, cheesing, or a combination of both.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 27, 2022

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

skasion posted:

All Fromsofts smaller and allegedly more focused games over the last decade have been visibly unfinished and full of chop and change last minute fuckery, so I don’t think a reduction of scope would really have helped

People really have forgotten how dogshit the last stretch of DS1 was.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vermain posted:

purely non-hostile/argumentative curiosity, here: what's your reasoning behind this?

I’ll try to remember to reply when I’m home and not phone posting since I’m sure my reply will be rambling. To be fair though I think it’s more of a feeling than any concrete thing I can point to, so I’m not sure I could convince anyone else if my point or really explain in a cogent way why I feel that way. I just know that every time the map expanded or I found another underground zone I was excited about it in a way that isn’t the case in something like Assassin’s Creed or Far Cry. Like it felt like a grand journey in a way that it wouldn’t have if it was half the size, and at least for my subjective experience of the game that enhanced the whole thing for me.

Then again I also really didn’t mind the relative emptiness of the Consecrated Snowfield so what do I know

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I found out that there was a final step to Patches + Tanith's questlines, so I went and did it

What? Is this... What?
Find patches, "Oh hey give this to Tanith, she's a bit down in the dumps and this would cheer her up"
Go back to Tanith, give her the thing, "I don't want that thing"

And that's it?
Is this another case of a key item that can be used in multiple places ala Seluvis's potion or Rya's potion? Is this cut/disabled content like Diallos/Nepheli?
What is this?
Why is this here?

At least when I gave the Stormhawk to Nepheli she started talking about it

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The Crucible Knights are quite easy to parry as long as you wait for them to do one of their two sword slashes. Not unlike a significantly more aggressive version of Silver Knights from DS1.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Crucible knights I saw as the new black knights from DS1 but on dragon magic steroids, especially when I found out they threw a couple at people around stormveil.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Kawabata posted:

You don't, because like many other humanoid enemies/bosses in this game, it's never really "your turn". If you have a fast weapon you can hit once, maybe twice after their slowest combo, but that's it.
what

sword n shield crucible knight can be punished after a thrust, shield bash(especially when outspaced), ground slam or spinning 2-hit move. sometimes at the end of other strings as well but it can be ambiguous.
thrusts aren't safe once tail crucible knight is in phase 2 but tail swipes are punishable.

spear crucible knight is full of giant openings and you can basically beat his rear end constantly while rolling around him. both his phase 2 moves are punishable as well

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Harrow posted:

I’ll try to remember to reply when I’m home and not phone posting since I’m sure my reply will be rambling. To be fair though I think it’s more of a feeling than any concrete thing I can point to, so I’m not sure I could convince anyone else if my point or really explain in a cogent way why I feel that way. I just know that every time the map expanded or I found another underground zone I was excited about it. Like it felt like a grand journey in a way that it wouldn’t have if it was half the size, and at least for my subjective experience of the game that enhanced the whole thing for me.

Then again I also really didn’t mind the relative emptiness of the Consecrated Snowfield so what do I know

I liked Elden Ring being as big as it was but everything from Leyndell onward felt like it was developed after the rest of the relatively organic world. It felt tacked on, empty, and with a difficulty hike that was hard to justify. No one likes getting two shot by a bird.

Volte posted:

The Crucible Knights are quite easy to parry as long as you wait for them to do one of their two sword slashes. Not unlike a significantly more aggressive version of Silver Knights from DS1.

I'm not sure they are just "more aggressive" than DS1 silver knights. Enemies/bosses that were meant to be hard in souls games are still hard to this day, the difference is that in older games a correct dodge was rewarded by a safe healing/attack window for the player, while here most of the times you just survive long enough to see the next 4 hit combo start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah the spear knight is downright easy compared to the shield guy. Hate the shield guys.