Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They need to kill all the bagpipers though. Hearing them up close is bad enough, but it's when you're either between two of them so they clash or, even worse, in the Old Town where you can hear one in the distance but not localise where the sound is coming from that it gets into Room 101 levels of torture.

The bagpipers and those Scottish tourist tat shops that blare out recorded bagpipe music at full blast from their front, gently caress all of them.

I actually used to live near a British Legion place where they'd practice the bagpipes on Wednesday evenings and I could just dimly hear them but it was actually kind of nice. But hearing them loving blast it at you when you go into Edinburgh city centre is torture.

edit: cat tax

Pictured: A cat who has never heard the sound of bagpipes in her life.

Shyrka fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Miftan posted:

Christ if you think the south of england has seasons I can't even imagine what Glasgow is like.

The winter that really did it for me was the ‘14 to ‘15 winter. We went from October to March without seeing sun once. It was either raining or overcast or sleeting.

Glasgow is a damp city. Humidity is often high. Combine that with 5C and you get a pervasive cold that settles in the bones. I remember going outside and being able to see my breath at 9C. 90+% humidity in winter is not unusual.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Failed Imagineer posted:

If a phone box had 4 sides how would you get in? Does the top screw off?

most houses have 4 sides but people still seem to find their way inside them somehow?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I climb up the columns.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

most houses have 4 sides but people still seem to find their way inside them somehow?

yeah they have windows/???

no need to come in here with your self-build esoteric knowledge about how many sides a house has... actually mine's a semi-detached with an attached garage so it could have anywhere between 3 - 10 sides depending how we're counting, very complicated stuff this actually

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

yeah they have windows/???

no need to come in here with your self-build esoteric knowledge about how many sides a house has... actually mine's a semi-detached with an attached garage so it could have anywhere between 3 - 10 sides depending how we're counting, very complicated stuff this actually

By my reckoning my house has two and a half sides.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

an attached side is still a side. no matter how many sides you think you've got, the elevations have the answer

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

an attached side is still a side. no matter how many sides you think you've got, the elevations have the answer

I watched an episode of Grand Designs the other day where the guy was building a circular house, by my reckoning there was only one side

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

I watched an episode of Grand Desins the other day where the guy was building a circular house, by my reckoning there was only one side

or infinite

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

can only imagine the cost overruns on that

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Failed Imagineer posted:

If a phone box had 4 sides how would you get in? Does the top screw off?

Sheesh, a box with 4 sides is still open from two sides!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

By my reckoning my house has two and a half sides.

Typical minimalism from the guy whose car has no doors and only two wheels

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

thats 4 elevations and noone would build a house that shape anyway

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Failed Imagineer posted:

I watched an episode of Grand Designs the other day where the guy was building a circular house, by my reckoning there was only one side

I rented a circular room once, it's a constant source of low-level irritation and I don't understand why someone would do that voluntarily.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Lady Demelza posted:

I rented a circular room once, it's a constant source of low-level irritation and I don't understand why someone would do that voluntarily.

OTOH if you can afford bespoke furniture with the exact same radius curve as the walls it’s probably cool as hell

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lady Demelza posted:

The dude seemed like he was on an extended manic swing of bipolar, whatever was going on he was extremely fixated on the round thing. I agree it seems like a huge pain in the hole. I remember listening to an episode of This American Life (I think) where some weirdos were living in a community of geodesic dome and everything about it seemed to suck, and people kept driving up to gawp at them like it was a safari lol.

So nope, it's the regular 3-walled home for me...

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
gently caress sake, if a phone box has no door but two walls and a back then it has three sides.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lady Demelza posted:

Less places for bogles.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

gently caress sake, if a phone box has no door but two walls and a back then it has three sides.

Why don't you consider the back as a wall in it's own right?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Technically your skin is an internal organ because its a non stop tube from your butthole to your mouth.

So basically grand designs is a butthole.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mebh posted:

Technically your skin is an internal organ because its a non stop tube from your butthole to your mouth.

So basically grand designs is a butthole.

indeed, we are all just elongated meat donuts, living in homes with n number of sides

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

thats what we wrote on the outer space probes and noone came to visit us

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
the Voyager Probegram and the Goatse Record

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The final gently caress you of the housing market will be using all the empty investment units as containers for flour.

https://twitter.com/ArtLesb0/status/1506361287151865864

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lady Demelza posted:

Did someone tell you to put your bag in the corner, or something?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

thats 4 elevations and noone would build a house that shape anyway

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scissor_section_flat

I await your topographical explanation for this.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My bedroom has 11 sides not counting beams and windows.

Also maybe round room lad was trying to keep the hounds of tindalos away.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 27, 2022

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

still the same

I've actually done a scissor style extension on a house in bristol. It was a lot of fun and also headache and ultimately not worth it. Its kind of a cardinal sin of newb architecture to do stairs you have to go up and down like that

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

that is :psyduck: design. I appreciate wanting to give a flat different zones, but it's only a matter of time until you fall down the stairs and are eaten by your cats

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

that is :psyduck: design. I appreciate wanting to give a flat different zones, but it's only a matter of time until you fall down the stairs and are eaten by your cats

its two flats yeah?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

that is :psyduck: design. I appreciate wanting to give a flat different zones, but it's only a matter of time until you fall down the stairs and are eaten by

OwlFancier posted:

the hounds of tindalos

Also the toilet/bathroom without natural light or ventilation sounds p bad if there's a power cut.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
you could risk lighting a candle in there maybe

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
just ring council emergency line and ask for the scissor architects from the 1950s HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO poo poo YA BASTARDS YIZ :mcrappe:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

how do you poo poo in the dark normally?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jeherrin posted:

The winter that really did it for me was the ‘14 to ‘15 winter. We went from October to March without seeing sun once. It was either raining or overcast or sleeting.

Glasgow is a damp city. Humidity is often high. Combine that with 5C and you get a pervasive cold that settles in the bones. I remember going outside and being able to see my breath at 9C. 90+% humidity in winter is not unusual.

14 days a month on average are rainy. And you're right about the humidity, it's always damp, that's just Glasgow. Nearly twice the annual rainfall as Inverness & it's not like we're a particularly dry city.

All that said, Glasgow Smiles Better as they used to say. And as much as GCC are worth contempt I'm not sure it's actually that much more corrupt than any other council in the UK.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i like the countryside

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

how do you poo poo in the dark normally?

illuminated by the glow of the UKMT on my phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

illuminated by the glow of the UKMT on my phone

just happy in the knowledge that my posts in this thread do serve a purpose.