Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Don't forget the doll guy, he has a mom complex.
:negative: I forgot

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Speaking of which what the hell happened to the other dudes??????

The manga seemed to be setting everyone up on a 1 v 1 fight and in the end Mashle took down 3? or 4? by himself. And then the fast dude lost to the dadcon.

Lance took out a creepy guy. Dot defeated someone.
Doll guy and Macarone helped break down some walls but disappeared through some doors after.

Abyss was brainwashed and he's inseparable from Doll guy so I assume doll guy was beaten and Abyss enslaved. :shrug:
But in all fairness, they weren't supposed to be there anyway.
While I'm a little sad we didn't see them do anything, I'm also happy the manga didn't get bogged down in endless one on one fights between bit players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I was looking forward to Margarette getting another fight at least.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
this arc was presented as some sort of structured formal contest but it really wasn't. as soon as it looked like the bad guys might fail the big bad showed up to yoink the thingy personally. i respect that.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Ayakashi Triangle to be released uncut by Seven Seas.

So, that's where the triangle is...

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

More interested in the wolf and tiger eating delicious food tbh.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo this weeks Witch Watch slayed me. :haw:

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

got loving sideswiped by the random Vietnamese showing up in the latest Akane-banashi

edit: if anyone cares, his two notable lines are "what kind of dish is this?" and "wait"

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 27, 2022

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Well, I stuck around as long as I could with earth child. I'm done with it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Alacron posted:

Holy poo poo this weeks Witch Watch slayed me. :haw:

Yeah, it really was fantastic. It feels like the experience of someone having a board game friend who is always bringing overly complicated games for game night.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
If you don't spend one and a half hours setting up the 1x2 meters board and the assorted 204 individual game pieces and explaining the rules before actually getting to play, what's even the point

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i appreciate maruo having a dream sequence that most manga would use to show off hints of their protagonist's dramatic backstory, but ayashimon uses to have maruo show how cool he is to his younger self

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

RuBisCO posted:

got loving sideswiped by the random Vietnamese showing up in the latest Akane-banashi

edit: if anyone cares, his two notable lines are "what kind of dish is this?" and "wait"

I REALLY like that she's actually good at these things and it shows her succeeding while only having some minor speedbumps here and there. Too many series sometimes have the MC just bomb something somewhere and get "saved", but instead it clearly shows that Akane has a natural if unrefined talent for Rakugo and is willing to learn and takes lessons to heart to improve.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Akane-banashi: Great chapter! I like Akane's self-reflections on the lessons she's learned, and it's cool that she's recognizing she'd just been mimicking things without really thinking of how to apply her rakugo. And it's neat how she's given a chance to apply her rakugo skills to help develop herself as a person.

Ayashimon: Nice, finally a glimpse into the mystery!

Elusive Samurai: Man, they really went straight to the assassination chapter, huh. This manga goes at lightspeed without stopping.

Mashle: I don't think there was a Mashle chapter this week.

Robocco: Okay-ish chapter. My favorite part was probably Robocco's rampant use of hashtags cause I find them funny.

Sakamoto: drat, I was so focused on Akira's potential connection to Slur that I never considered she might be related to Akao! Nice of the manga to remind us who Akao was, too. Manga is constantly surprising me. Hell yeah!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Ayashimon: We're getting to the meat of the story and we're seeing Maruo being proud of himself. :allears:

Robocco: I had a pretty decent chuckle out of this.

Sakamoto: Is still so good. Also, lol at the bulletproof Apron

Elusive Samurai: This was a very easy setup.

Witch Watch: Witch Watch was great. Though for a moment there whe nit started I thought we were joining back up with the incomprehensible manga. The Mangaka is really jsut going hogwild with the characters isn't he?
That time I got stuck in a death game and it sucked.
I do wonder when we'll get back to the main story again.

Undead Unluck: VEry good and more information on Unruin.

Save me: Was pretty funny

Doron: Was cool and funny.

EarthChild: Oh god, this is hilariously bad. Reading this, I couldn't help but think of the bad horror movie spoofs the Angry Beavers show did. Where everyone would just stand around and exposit in extremely dramatic fashion at each other when nothing is really happening.
I love that this manga just tried to make the boss of waste seem sympathetic.
:commissar: "Kareri is dead! Wipe his memory and take the kid!"
:commissar: "Actually, Kareri is alive. We just can't save her. Oh, you really want her to be saved? Okay, let's go save her. "
:commissar: "You'd better not disappoint or we'll still wipe your memory, you useless human!"
:commissar: "What? Your kid is killing you with his psychic powers? Yeah, I expected that, I suppose we could give you these power inhibitors we made ages ago you useless human." "And I guess we'll go save Kareri so he can have a mother."
:commissar: "Actually, I deeply cared about Kareri. I just didn't feel like saving her until just now...again. I mean I resolved that we would really try to save her in the past 2 chapters as well. But this time it will really stick."

Also, artwork:

Meh, she didn't need that spine anyway.

:commissar: "Yeah, you're right science dude who we've never seen before and will never see again. We suck pretty badly."

I don't even...

You can try, but no one can take this drivel seriously.

Really, this is the worst manga I have ever read and I love it.
I'm going to keep reading this trainwreck for as long as I'm entertained. And then it'll stay with me as the worst manga ever.

Who greenlighted this and why? What's it trying to say? Is it even trying to say anything? What are the characters themes? Why does this manga have like 2 people with an actual role, a baby and some randoms who come and go? Does the mangaka have a sugardaddy at Shueshi or something?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Really, this is the worst manga I have ever read and I love it.
I'm going to keep reading this trainwreck for as long as I'm entertained. And then it'll stay with me as the worst manga ever.

Who greenlighted this and why? What's it trying to say? Is it even trying to say anything? What are the characters themes? Why does this manga have like 2 people with an actual role, a baby and some randoms who come and go? Does the mangaka have a sugardaddy at Shueshi or something?

A lot of people liked the first chapter, judging from the forums I've seen, and then the writer had no clear idea what to do from there. Since Jump has had a lot of churn lately, and some weird things have seen success (PPPPPP is apparently selling alright) there's a lot of room for things to slip through.

Add in a bad editor, and there you go.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

A lot of people liked the first chapter, judging from the forums I've seen, and then the writer had no clear idea what to do from there. Since Jump has had a lot of churn lately, and some weird things have seen success (PPPPPP is apparently selling alright) there's a lot of room for things to slip through.

Add in a bad editor, and there you go.

A few of us here were also intrigued by the setup from the first chapter.
Reading through the comments on Mangaplus is pretty fun, the general sentiment seems to be "Still a better love story than Twilight."

It's an amazing case study on how not to write a story.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Well at the very least it seems to be speedrunning towards some sort of conclusion so there's that.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
It’s funny because I recently read Hirohiko Araki’s “Manga in Theory in Practice.” While Araki clearly states “hey look, you can not following this and still have a hit manga, I just found that by doing this you are more than likely going to succeed” I found it very enlightening about what he thought makes a good series.

Earth Child, follows NONE of his rules. “Clearly establish your characters right from the beginning” uhhhh, nope. “Have a great theme” uhhhhh dang.

Look at the stuff this thread seems to like right off the bat. Ayashimon setup the protagonist and the struggle right from the word go. It’s easy to follow and that draws you in. Akanebashi doesn’t follow the main character in the first chapter but it does so for great effect because it shows you the pivotal moment that defines who she is when we follow her. We as an audience are right with her on her journey and root for her because we can emphasize with her, and understand why she has an odd dream for someone her age and it makes her that much more likeable. I haven’t read Earth Child for the last couple chapters but I never felt like I knew who the main character was supposed to be. We rushed through a gigantic amount of backstory so i don’t really have an attachment to what feels like the main crux of the story and without all of that the plot as it is feels hollow and the the rapid decisions people flop between feel incredibly forced.

If Jump drops a series, I have a feeling that would be the first to go. It just felt like it wasn’t doing anything right.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Earthchild felt very much like a "We need something to fill page space when Dr. Stone ends, what do we got on hand?"

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i thought the newest chapter was actually an improvement, at least in terms of what concepts it brings into the series. we get a conceit that Kareri's consciousness can be pulled forth and communicated with by her family, this feeding into the proper raising of her son wrt emotional state and power development. it also gives a more sympathetic portrayal of the Waste officer that really should've been included around the ch2-3 mark along with toning down his aggression. the stumbles when it comes to executing this stuff is 1) obviously, a bit of too little too late wrt making Waste sympathetic 2) we are given no view or understanding of these elements at HQ that order the events of ch2, making it feel like a handwave rather than genuine conflict/antagonist setup 3) there's still not a clear idea of the series going forward.

i don't think salvaging something from this would be impossible, but having a first volume that is just a confused mess of pacing speeds, tone switches, and shifts in narrative will always be a thorn for the series. if it stays a slower-paced supernatural parenting story, the question will always be there of what the standard shonen "timeskip to teen esper agent adventures" version would be like, or another where father and son have to go on the run and find out/combat some dark truth about Waste. all of these things are plausible from just how scattered the series was up to now!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ayashimon and Dororon have been at the back of the magazine for like 3+ issues now and are giving cancelling signs. Ayashimon immediately just handed one of the factions to the MC and is gonna explain the teased mystery of how the previous boss died, so I think that's wrapping stuff up. Dororon sped through a powerup into a battle arc against named adversaries rather quickly- less indicative of cancellation but ehhh.

Earthchild is just a disaster but who knows. PPPPPP is somehow doing okay despite being very, very whatever to me in a world where Piano no Mori exists.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Ayashimon and Dororon have been at the back of the magazine for like 3+ issues now and are giving cancelling signs. Ayashimon immediately just handed one of the factions to the MC and is gonna explain the teased mystery of how the previous boss died, so I think that's wrapping stuff up. Dororon sped through a powerup into a battle arc against named adversaries rather quickly- less indicative of cancellation but ehhh.

Earthchild is just a disaster but who knows. PPPPPP is somehow doing okay despite being very, very whatever to me in a world where Piano no Mori exists.

Ayashimon's probably at least getting 30-ish chapters, considering the first volume is nearing 20K sales. It's not in good shape with the magazine placement, but those are number that get you at least another volume to see if you can manage some growth. It's also getting a T-shirt promo, which is at least mildly odd if it's definitely doomed, rather than just likely doomed.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Fabricated posted:

i hadn't gotten that vibe from either tbh

i can't go back to chapter 13 since im a free reader but was "we'll join you" not the whole original deal for these fights in the first place in ayashimon

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
can't have a gang war without a gang. well you can, but that didn't go so well for maruo.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
From u19 to Ghost Plagerist, our fellow fans in Japan have usually been good at giving the clear losers the boot so if the other two strips die first then it was purely by din of time.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 29, 2022

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

The Black Stones posted:

I haven’t read Earth Child for the last couple chapters but I never felt like I knew who the main character was supposed to be.
At chapter 6 it's still not clear who the main character is. :v:
We're following dad, but the narration is currently being done by the son.

dogsicle posted:

i thought the newest chapter was actually an improvement, at least in terms of what concepts it brings into the series. we get a conceit that Kareri's consciousness can be pulled forth and communicated with by her family, this feeding into the proper raising of her son wrt emotional state and power development. it also gives a more sympathetic portrayal of the Waste officer that really should've been included around the ch2-3 mark along with toning down his aggression. the stumbles when it comes to executing this stuff is 1) obviously, a bit of too little too late wrt making Waste sympathetic 2) we are given no view or understanding of these elements at HQ that order the events of ch2, making it feel like a handwave rather than genuine conflict/antagonist setup 3) there's still not a clear idea of the series going forward.

i don't think salvaging something from this would be impossible, but having a first volume that is just a confused mess of pacing speeds, tone switches, and shifts in narrative will always be a thorn for the series. if it stays a slower-paced supernatural parenting story, the question will always be there of what the standard shonen "timeskip to teen esper agent adventures" version would be like, or another where father and son have to go on the run and find out/combat some dark truth about Waste. all of these things are plausible from just how scattered the series was up to now!

I just don't see this as being salvageable, but then I'm not a writer nor an editor. But all the points you point out have the caveat that, while not bad, really should've been setup way way sooner in order to be effective. With the 1 exception being Kareri's psychic calls. But the revelation of the psychic calls, while in itself, are a good addition they don't really add anything to the current situation. They had already made up their mind that Kareri was alive since she was suddenly smiling. So her calling out doesn't change that. This could've been a very powerful moment, but it's instead relegated to being just a thing that happens. Especially with the way that everyone immediately just accepts that dad can really hear those calls and not that he's maybe little crazy.
It could've been a pretty cool thing if the mangaka had done it the other way around. First the psychic calls, only for the dad to fail to convince waste until Kareri start smiling after she touches Mamoru's mind.

I'd say the concepts are definitely the strong point of the story and are why I originally stuck around. There are some interesting seeds in there even if the start is rocky.
Like the way the first chapter was set up was pretty interesting. We basically speed ran a backstory.
Which left it in a pretty interesting point.

We could either jump forward to an older Mamoru who takes his mom's place while uncovering the mystery behind his birth and his mom's disappearance. While a shadowastey organisation hovers over him.

Or we could stay where we were and follow dad as he tries to raise a kid as a single parent while a shadowastey organisation constantly threatens to break him and his son apart.
We could spend a few chapters with his current struggles which wasn't done all that wrong in what we got. Yes, a baby doesn't realize he's killing dad by pushing him against the ceiling. That's actually a good point.
But the problem is still in the organisation. They have the power blocker things, why didn't they offer them up immediately only for the dad to decline because he doesn't understand the danger of a super powered baby? It's also done far too soon.
Spend a chapter on the parenting woes with the good and the bad. Send him to the daycare where he accidentally nearly kills a fellow kid. Spend a chapter on the solution and the aftermath.
Spend less time repeating the story to eachother while standing around dramatically.

I guess that would be stuff the editor would normally does? So, yes the editor seems to be a part of Waste.

Anyway, if Ayashimon and Doron are working to a conclusion, then at least it still feels like natural conclusion. But I don't buy it.

Doron started pretty strong, with the only real knock against it being that it started like 5 weeks after Ayashimon with nearly the same starting point. (Ridiculously strong teen who wants to be a hero in a world with monsters)
Except Doron has since then swerved into being more the good parts of Candy Crush and just generally more upbeat with fun characters while Ayashimon hews closer to Chainsawman in tone. Maruo's had a lovely life and just wants to punch things.
The scene in this weeks chapter where he shows off to his younger self in a dream is a somewhat bittersweet moment. Maruo realizes he's having the time of his life after having a terrible start. Even if it's just fighting. I hope that he's going to realize at some point that he needs more, in the same way Denji slowly moved his goal posts from food>boob touching>kiss>sex>actual connection>actual part of society.
Though I'm not entirely sure yet how Maruo's journey would go.

It's interesting though that both manga are in nearly the same position. Both seem to be poised to unveil the bigger storyline.
With the bikergang in Ayashimon telling about the murder mystery and in Doron the discovery of the humanoid monsters who are now leading everyone into a trap.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

can't have a gang war without a gang. well you can, but that didn't go so well for maruo.

Mixed track record so far.

Also, Ayashimon got a reprint for the first volume, with numbers similar to what saved PPPPPP from the chopping block.

Honestly, it's hard to say how this is going to play out. PPPPPP is on the one end of things, but Phantom Seer sold fine for a rookie and it still got canned. Expectations, sales for Doron, how excited Jump editorial is for the new series coming in, that all comes into play and I can't see most of that data from outside.

We'll see, I guess.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I haven't felt that broken up about any recent cancellations but I would be so bummed if ayashimon ended up on the chopping block

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Ayashimon is like the one new manga that I follow and like, so I would be not super happy if it was cancelled.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'd like it to not be canned too but I've been here before with Love Rush, Stealth Symphony and that one with the grappler ships so I'm pretty used to it by now.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I'll never forget the assassination of Double Arts by those cowards Shonen Jump.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Earthchild has the exact same problem as Red Hood, the set-up is STILL going after six chapters and we aren’t really deeper into things than we were in chapter two.

Red Hood has really appealing art to maybe make up for things, but Earthchild isn’t unique or super high quality with its art so it doesn’t even have that going for it.

Dude meets super magic girl, makes magic girl his wife, they have a kid and she makes a sacrifice. Man and his magic baby kid need to save wife. This premise has been clear since chapter two and they are still spinning their wheels on it.

Again, Red Hood did the exact same thing. Established kid is under threat of werewolves, kid meets monster Hunter sexy lady, kid will train with lady to become strong. All set up by chapter 2, stuck around for half a dozen chapters before doing more with the plot.

Meanwhile, Ayashimon and Dororon both set up “guy strong and works with a monster to fight monsters” in the first chapter, then they both set up a “we need to do X” and introduced some bad guys in chapter two.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Meanwhile, Ayashimon and Dororon both set up “guy strong and works with a monster to fight monsters” in the first chapter, then they both set up a “we need to do X” and introduced some bad guys in chapter two.

There have been other series that are generally "solid/competent" but get axed; Red Sprite and Golem Hearts come to mind as semi-recent examples.

It's why, despite liking Dororon, I wouldn't bet on it surviving. I just get similar vibes from it to series like the ones above. Ayashimon I'd give better chances (again just because of "vibes" lol).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dororon gives me candy flurry vibes where the basic premise and setting are completely uninspired but the characters and dialogue are great.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

There have been other series that are generally "solid/competent" but get axed; Red Sprite and Golem Hearts come to mind as semi-recent examples.

It's why, despite liking Dororon, I wouldn't bet on it surviving. I just get similar vibes from it to series like the ones above. Ayashimon I'd give better chances (again just because of "vibes" lol).

Red Sprite kinda sucked, I thought. It's been long enough since I read it that I can't go into much detail, but the art feels like standard-done-less-well rather than its own thing, and the writing was weaker still. It wasn't shockingly bad, but it was the kind of series where getting under 15 chapters wasn't a shock.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm not going to reread it but yes it was bad and i never got why it kept any sort of reputation for cancelled too soon

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

dororon gives me candy flurry vibes where the basic premise and setting are completely uninspired but the characters and dialogue are great.

Candy flurry's dialogue/characters transposed onto any other property ... just imagine

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
That's debatable.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sakamoto sorta handles my Candy Flurry itch these days with regard to dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1509468336156991488?s=20&t=WQHZy36PhrQxwz9V9GX9wQ