Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

RealityWarCriminal posted:

the mimic tear, maybe it's all ashes, won't aggro some bosses until they get hit. I noticed this especially with Mohg.

Seems like it's a case by case basis, I had no ash issues with astel but the only thing that wouldn't just sit after being summoned for mohg was stormhawk deenh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

In Auriza's, if you jump down the rafters near the boss door, and follow it through, you arrive at one of those columns that shoots fire. If you hit that, then return to the hallway before the boss door, they all run into each other and are permanently destroyed.

In Fringefolk you drop down a few times, and eventually you'll arrive on a ledge above the chariot's path. You can then shoot down a pot on top of the chariot to permanently destroy it. Timing is crucial though

The lava one I think you are just gotta live with

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Wellwinds posted:

Seems like it's a case by case basis, I had no ash issues with astel but the only thing that wouldn't just sit after being summoned for mohg was stormhawk deenh

before or after the nerf i've never really had the mimic tear do anything but loving sit around buffing itself, but as long as it sticks around being a decoy for the boss to beat the poo poo out of i feel like it's doing its job

i feel like it just behaves poorly with slow weapons. it'll walk up at take one swing at something and be like "well that took the 5 seconds allotted in my AI for attacking, time for the 15 seconds of doing nothing part of the program"

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Sockser posted:

What's the best way to kill the big Doot Envoys?
I want to farm the big doot horn just for completion's sake (I believe everyone says its worse than the medium doot)

My current strategy of standing at a distance / behind a tree and plinking 20 arrows into them slowly is miserable. I'd love to run up and club them to death but 2 bubbles is enough to kill me.
Are there any good spells/incantations that'll help me out here?

My farming strat was, with the one near the first site of grace that has its back to you, to use the fire pillars spell fully charged as close behind it as I can get. Depending on the random placement of the pillars does anywhere from 50-100% of its health then you can beat it up. More often one shot it than not for me.

This was stacking as much possible fire/charged spell/etc buffs as possible with a 60+ faith build but honestly this definitely massively softened it up.

Or I mean if you’ve already got the long horn just stack holy/damage buffs, sneak up behind it and let it rip.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
if you give it two katanas and dont have weird poo poo in your dpad down bar it just charges the enemy and does corpse piler over and over until the enemy dies, you do, or it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Khanstant posted:

if you give it two katanas and dont have weird poo poo in your dpad down bar it just charges the enemy and does corpse piler over and over until the enemy dies, you do, or it

ah good point, it currently doesn't help that i've got the moonlight greatsword as my primary whose buff takes approximately two geological epochs to cast and is not a direct damage attack in it of itself. i'd probably get much better results with the wing of astel but i can't double fist greatswords with that

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

kazil posted:

The lava one I think you are just gotta live with

There's no way to destroy that one because the intended solution is for you to ride it over the last stretch of lava

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Finding out you can destroy them blew my mind

what

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
Post nerf it seems to be more likely to get into the actual fight but yeah the big weapon thing kind of matches up, mine attacked way more often with a katana than with a greathammer

Maybe it's just more likely that smaller weapons will get an attack off without being interrupted or maybe it's trying to pull off the big dumb weapon arts and getting bopped. It definitely did way more bloody slashes than regal beastclaws

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

jusion posted:

Oh poo poo! Is there somewhere I can read more about this?

From my reading, it was all Ranni's doing.

It's never 100% confirmed, but there are a lot of things linking Marika to the Black Knife assassins (including the description on their armor set), and it's consistent with Marika's overall motivation, which appears to be to free herself from servitude to the Greater Will by any means necessary. Ranni stole the fragment of Death and used it to empower the assassins' blades, but it's unclear that she actually ordered the plot and her goal might have been just to ditch her body so she could also be free of the Greater Will/Two Fingers.

Marika may have either allowed Ranni to steal Death and then taken advantage of the situation, or maybe she and Ranni worked together, it's not quite clear. There's also a potential connection between Ranni and Melina--both are, by Melina's description, "burned and bodyless," they have opposite eyes closed--and it's possible they're two halves of a whole themselves. Though Ranni is Rennala's daughter and Melina is Marika's daughter, but also Marika and Radagon are at least sharing the same body, so... :shrug:

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 27, 2022

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
To destroy the chariots you have to get in front of them and hit them with a perfectly timed fully charged R2

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think for me it's just something in there was breaking or bugging out all around since I guess that wasn't actually the gimmick and the fight was just hosed up

The side tomb here though owns

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The Anime Liker posted:

Let me rephrase it: Melina wants to burn everything ERD/ELDEN down. Not EVERYTHING everything.

Ah. Well. poo poo.

This doesn't actually rule it out at all. Melina has an early line of dialogue about being "burnt and bodiless." If anything, that detail points even harder to a connection between them.

Other neat little hints whose exact meaning is evocative if not perfectly clear:

If summoned as a coop buddy, Melina uses the Black Knife Assassin AI / movset.

Ranni's doll body is modeled not on her own form, but on a mysterious "mentor," and notably someone who tried to teach her to fear the Moon, so likely not someone from within the Carian royal family, at least.

There are like three different item descriptions linking Marika to the Night of the Black Knives, as well as some evidence that post-Night the Assassins either turned on each other or at least all had to scramble to survive -- presumably deprived of whatever protection they had before.

jusion
Jan 24, 2007

Vermain posted:

maliketh's remembrance states plainly that marika betrayed him, and the only sort of betrayal that makes sense for maliketh - a creature that exists almost solely to harbor destined death - is to allow a fragment of it to be stolen

Presteign posted:

From the Black Knife armor set : "The assassins that carried out the deeds of the Night of the Black Knives were all women, and rumored to be Numen who had close ties with Marika herself."

Gotcha, gotcha.

I read those as a.) shattering the elden ring was a betrayal and b.) the people who carried out the assassination were people she would have considered allies -- not that she was behind it, but together that does seem pretty tenuous

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

God drat so I love using the "Hello" and "Your Beautiful" audio items while looking like a Lovecraftian nightmare when doing blue summons or helping others.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Harrow posted:

Marika may have either allowed Ranni to steal Death and then taken advantage of the situation, or maybe she and Ranni worked together, it's not quite clear. There's also a potential connection between Ranni and Melina--both are, by Melina's description, "burned and bodyless," both are Marika's daughters, they have opposite eyes closed--and it's possible they're two halves of a whole themselves.

The thing that gets me on this is that ranni would definitely consider her mother to be rennala and not marika, whatever shenanigans could have happened aside

Which kind of makes melina interesting because her strongest character trait seems to be a desire for the world to get a fresh start and her case against the flame is a chance for new birhs and lifes aaaaaaand rennala's big thing is an obsession with rebirthing and the end of the fight she encourages ranni to "weave her night into being", and raya lucaria is specifically cited as being opposed to the shattering (hence the barrier)

Melina's "purpose" being to get a new cycle started and not specifically being "set yourself on fire to open this door" also lines up with stuff that gets dropped at the end of the game about how the erdtree is well past its prime and even the fingers have gotten decrepit

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

jusion posted:

Oh poo poo! Is there somewhere I can read more about this?

From my reading, it was all Ranni's doing.

So far as I can tell, Ranni stole the death rune specifically to kill her own body, and then Marika or the Black Knives stole it from her

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
That little Kirby break is exactly what I needed.

Rest in piss, Malenia

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Final look:

The helmet never came off after I got it. I like how jellyfish-like I look.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
beat the godskin duo pretty easily, but I am not particularly enjoying the very strong and fast mobs in this area

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

If you figure out how to destroy them in Auriza's, you get the best looking (and so far, best performing) armour set as well.

Also you can duck under them with the Raptor ash of war.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Pigbuster posted:

Final look:

That’s really good

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I know have bleed and frost on my cross nagitana

Bleed naturally and frost through the hoar stomp ash of war .

Can I add any more dots to it

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm wandering around at level 23 and generally doing okay (I've put off doing anything in the main quest and have just been wandering aimlessly), and then this "Revenant" pops out of the ground and wrecks me. I tried a few times (since the surrounding enemies were all pretty easy I thought that maybe it should have been doable), but I don't think winning against that is going to be practical yet. Guess I'll finally go to the castle that I'm obviously supposed to go to.

The Estoc is quite good, even though it's the weapon I started with. I've come to appreciate its range, and some enemies can be stun-locked by its regular attacks. Its weapon skill is also handy against shields (and some other situations).

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

euphronius posted:

I know have bleed and frost on my cross nagitana

Bleed naturally and frost through the hoar stomp ash of war .

Can I add any more dots to it

neither of those are dots
but no, you can't apply any other status effects or buffs to a frost-affinity weapon

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ok not dots. Status effects.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

stratdax posted:

If you figure out how to destroy them in Auriza's, you get the best looking (and so far, best performing) armour set as well.

drat that's one of the few catacombs I didn't end up clearing in my first playthrough.

I kind of want to start a new game with a totally different build but the game is so overwhelmingly huge and after limgrave/liurnia it feels like there's way too much filler content. I really do wish the map was just 20% smaller with less junk. Oh yeah and either buff overall rune acquisition by like 10% or nerf enemy damage like 10%. I tried a bit of newgame+ with my first character but I was just a walking god and there was no real challenge to anything.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Pigbuster posted:

Final look:

loving cool as hell

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Eason the Fifth posted:

Its...the Dork Tower

See the DOG of enormous girth

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Okay I would like to ask if my game is broken or something. I went into this game blind and know basically nothing. I'm not far in at all. I am level 11.

I just ran through Gatefront and the path pointed to a big castle It's up the curve in the path from the Stormhill Shack. There was a flame tossing ballista and a bunch of guys out front. Instead I went around, to a broken bridge, off the end and followed a long path up the edge of a cliff killing packs of wolves and ended up going into apparently what is the back door of the castle I was heading to. The area is in the castle, with insets in the walls mostly with candles in the. There was a ghost on the ground who told me to pick up grapes, and I did. Up a ladder and through another room I'm in a room with a huge wood throne, there's blood spots of people dying all over but I can't tell from what. On one side are a few stairs down and notes telling me there is treasure in two spots, but there is nothing. Straight out from the throne is a hallway that ends in double doors that I can't interact with at all. and messages warning me there's a fight. Not only is there not a fight but my sword is completely disabled in the throne room. I can't even swing it or anything, I can do nothing and I can't interact with the door and there is nothing to do except go back the way I came.

Right out the back door I went in is a checkpoint named Lake-Facing Cliffs.

Is this normal? It seems broken.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you just went around the back of the castle and entered a back room that you can also get into by going through the castle proper. nothing is broken.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

BitBasher posted:

Okay I would like to ask if my game is broken or something. I went into this game blind and know basically nothing. I'm not far in at all. I am level 11.

I just ran through Gatefront and the path pointed to a big castle It's up the curve in the path from the Stormhill Shack. There was a flame tossing ballista and a bunch of guys out front. Instead I went around, to a broken bridge, off the end and followed a long path up the edge of a cliff killing packs of wolves and ended up going into apparently what is the back door of the castle I was heading to. The area is in the castle, with insets in the walls mostly with candles in the. There was a ghost on the ground who told me to pick up grapes, and I did. Up a ladder and through another room I'm in a room with a huge wood throne, there's blood spots of people dying all over but I can't tell from what. On one side are a few stairs down and notes telling me there is treasure in two spots, but there is nothing. Straight out from the throne is a hallway that ends in double doors that I can't interact with at all. and messages warning me there's a fight. Not only is there not a fight but my sword is completely disabled in the throne room. I can't even swing it or anything, I can do nothing and I can't interact with the door and there is nothing to do except go back the way I came.

You found the where you exit the castle when you’re done with it. You have to go through the front.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

BitBasher posted:

That's the back entrance to the castle. You need to go back to where the ballista was if you want to get into the castle proper.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

BitBasher posted:

Messages love to lie about treasure and secret passages in this game. Take them with a grain of salt.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wish the game would stop crashing when I try to pvp now

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I recommend you don't try to go in the castle just yet anyway but rather explore Limgrave and Weeping peninsula before you do.

Stormveil is rough!

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
Yeah I thought I was being smart bypassing the front door when I played. That path is there for a reason (to enter an entire new area without going through a difficult area you may not be ready for). However it is not a secret low resistance entrance or anything and all you can do is mess about in a couple of empty rooms before you reach a door you can't open.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I'm 99% sure that the Caelid Bell Bearing Hunter would destroy the boss that he's based on.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I love that after almost a thousand loving pages there's still two people posting several hundreds of words per page about how much everything sucks and they just will not stop posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Made it to the end!

Killed the Elden Beast on the 5th try, with two of them not making it passed Radogon because I was sloppy. Really enjoyed and the final boss looked so cool.

But I can completely see all the complaints with it. Absolutely the only reason it was a fun boss was because I was a majority faith build, so with armour, the +2 holy talisman and the mega holy reduction incantation I took a whopping 25% from all the holy damage attacks. I kept up the holy reduction and the stronger regen blessing up the entire time, everytime the boss left for the other side of the arena I refreshed the buffs then trotted over.

If I didn’t have that I’ve no doubt I’d be smacking my head against a brick wall. As I’ve seen mentioned all over being able to use Torrent would be a massive QoL change.

Weapon wise I struggled because oh hey 75% of faith weapons have holy damage so finding two without in the same category to dual wield with my latest not so well thought out respec of:

16 str
26 dex
60 faith

Was a little tricky, but eventually found two faith scaling great hammers to dual wield I’d never used before, the Cranial Vessel Candlestand and the Devourer’s Scepter boosted to +9. Both having fire rather than holy. This did mean I needed an extra 10 strength but could cover with a talisman and a great rune.

I took everything I’d learned about using faith and… went in with three spells. Two buffs I kept up the whole fight and black flame which I never even used. No ranged, no weapon arts. Nothing but glorious dual attacks. Really taking advantage of the 60 Faith. When I’m using two chunky weapon something in my ape brain switches on and I’m unable to do anything other than “smack bad thing with heavy thing”.

Really sucks so many people didn’t have the same experience due to dodgy design choices on the boss basically loving with every build that doesn’t have 35 faith.