Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
https://twitter.com/dingobingo99/status/1507767643448786956?t=cvROnBRdbeHQA5Rx20GL9Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

psydude posted:

We're funneling tens of thousands of anti tank and anti-aircraft weapons to a country that's laying waste to his military and have almost completely gutted their economy through the most aggressive sanctions applied to any county since World War II But hang on, let's not rush to conclusions about ousting Putin!

Imagine if Roosevelt had said something about that Hitler fellow! Why who knows what the madman would have done then?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

psydude posted:

We're funneling tens of thousands of anti tank and anti-aircraft weapons to a country that's laying waste to his military and have almost completely gutted their economy through the most aggressive sanctions applied to any county since World War II But hang on, let's not rush to conclusions about ousting Putin!

The issue I have with that is that al of those anti-tank and anti-aircraft weapons are currently on the Ukrainian side of the border and being used in a defensive context, and the sanctions are meant to punish and compel a change in Russian decisionmaking. Outright talking about regime change plays into Russian propaganda and their leadership's seemingly increasing paranoia. What if they cite those remarks as a pretext for hitting an arms depot in Poland and claiming it was being used to transfer weapons for an attack on Russian territory itself?

That being said, I'd be glad to see Putin's legacy be a rusty stain on the floor and certainly don't have a problem if there's some SAP meant to pressure his inner circle into helping him out of a 7th floor window, but c'mon, don't say the quiet part out loud.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

End of day Biden could read out the GOP platform and say he was making effective immediately and would still be called a communist.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

The issue I have with that is that al of those anti-tank and anti-aircraft weapons are currently on the Ukrainian side of the border and being used in a defensive context, and the sanctions are meant to punish and compel a change in Russian decisionmaking. Outright talking about regime change plays into Russian propaganda and their leadership's seemingly increasing paranoia. What if they cite those remarks as a pretext for hitting an arms depot in Poland and claiming it was being used to transfer weapons for an attack on Russian territory itself?

Then that’s an attack on Poland and war were declared.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

This whole war is straight-up distilled Tom Clancy. I wouldn't be surprised if, and am hoping that, Putin "suddenly" dies of a heart attack or shoots himself in the back of the head twice, and more rational minds come into power.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

And it's not like sticking to vague, tepid statements would do anything to meaningfully stymy authoritarian propaganda. Whether it's contemporary American conservatism or RT, they will actively invent complete nonsense to bolster their support—and huge swathes of stupid fuckers will fall for it. Better to take an explicit stand with a rallying message than to keep up the noncommittal "well, president Putin's actions aren't great, I guess".

The problem isn't that it's a gaffe for propaganda reasons, the problem is that the President sets US foreign policy and Biden's statement signaled an unplanned change in that policy. Up to that point, the stated reason for the sanctions, diplomatic isolation, etc was to end the invasion of Ukraine - that is Russia could still undo these things by getting its troops back in its borders. Of course it isn't that simple and however this war ends the rest of the world is going to be dealing with Russia differently for a long time. But what Biden in effect said yesterday was that the US policy goal was now regime change. This does not give Russia a position to back down to, which is part of why diplomats immediately started walking back the statement.

Republicans and other assorted idiots are going to call Biden incompetent no matter what he does, that's not the point.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Jimmy Smuts posted:

This whole war is straight-up distilled Tom Clancy. I wouldn't be surprised if, and am hoping that, Putin "suddenly" dies of a heart attack or shoots himself in the back of the head twice, and more rational minds come into power.

There aren't any more "rational minds" in Russia, simply more practical ones. A "nice guy" can't and won't follow Putin. There'll be a body count when he dies by successors vying for the rusted iron throne.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

MedCram did a vid on thermobaric weapons, specifically from a medical perspective: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwScTlCf5IQ

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The problem isn't that it's a gaffe for propaganda reasons, the problem is that the President sets US foreign policy and Biden's statement signaled an unplanned change in that policy. Up to that point, the stated reason for the sanctions, diplomatic isolation, etc was to end the invasion of Ukraine - that is Russia could still undo these things by getting its troops back in its borders. Of course it isn't that simple and however this war ends the rest of the world is going to be dealing with Russia differently for a long time. But what Biden in effect said yesterday was that the US policy goal was now regime change. This does not give Russia a position to back down to, which is part of why diplomats immediately started walking back the statement.

Republicans and other assorted idiots are going to call Biden incompetent no matter what he does, that's not the point.

Lol Russia can stop the invasion any time they want. They most certainly can back down.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
I understand everyone want's to get rid of Putin, but it's not the responsibility of US to facilitate that, they haven't had good enough track record on such projects. Maybe they haven't had enough non-selfish reasons while doing them. What I want is the Russian people to do that choice by themselves, or I might just settle for the Russian oligarchs.

In similar vein, there have been arguments for west to have more direct involvement in the war. But frankly, for somewhat selfish reasons, I wish for the Ukrainians to beat Russia by their own power as much as possible. I think it would send Russia a much more powerful lesson about their incompetence, inadequacy and weakness. I feel sorry for the increased suffering this would cause for Ukrainian troops and civilians, but as a member of another Russian neighbour I guess that is a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Crab Dad posted:

Lol Russia can stop the invasion any time they want. They most certainly can back down.

Before, they could back down and presumably sanctions would be wound down. Biden's statement yesterday implies that only regime change would be acceptable for the US. That changes the decision making process on Russia's end - that is why the statement was immediately "clarified".

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

pantslesswithwolves posted:

That being said, I'd be glad to see Putin's legacy be a rusty stain on the floor and certainly don't have a problem if there's some SAP meant to pressure his inner circle into helping him out of a 7th floor window, but c'mon, don't say the quiet part out loud.

While Macron continues to have this diplomatic fantasy, the reality is that if Putin didn't care about the consequences to begin with (and he knew what they would be), then there's nothing that's going to get him to stop short of a threat on his actual life. He's in so deep at this point that he's already created a zero-sum scenario for himself whereby failure is not an option. Their propaganda machine had already convinced everyone who would listen that NATO was propping up a Nazi regime in Ukraine, so it's not like Biden saying what everyone is thinking out loud is going to change anyone's opinion one way or another, anyway. What will change people's opinions is being unable to buy basic goods, which they already can't. And Russia is struggling to replace its PGM stockpiles because it can't get its hands on electronics. The sanctions were designed to cripple popular support at home, while simultaneously pulling the rug out from underneath their MIC.

Now, just to be clear - I'm not arguing for US military intervention. I'm just saying that there was never an offramp that the West could offer, because the only thing Putin wants is to completely subjugate his neighbor, and his entire personality cult is built around how brilliant of a leader he is. The latest movement of the goalposts is simply Russia trying to play into this narrative further by pointing to what little success they've had thus far in taking and holding real estate.

Saukkis posted:

I understand everyone want's to get rid of Putin, but it's not the responsibility of US to facilitate that, they haven't had good enough track record on such projects. Maybe they haven't had enough non-selfish reasons while doing them. What I want is the Russian people to do that choice by themselves, or I might just settle for the Russian oligarchs.

I don't disagree with you. And as the Russian Foreign Ministry unironically said on Twitter, it's up to the people of Russia to remove Putin.

psydude fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 27, 2022

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Murgos posted:

Person, man, woman, camera, TV.

That Works posted:

Maybe giving the reigns of power to people with questionable cognitive abilities is bad.

Biden isn't going to be our last Baby Boomer president. Have fun with that knowledge!

edit: I'd also like to point out that more than a few of the voices clutching their pearls over Biden's comment and shrieking "WW3!!" were also openly hoping for a Civil War here in the US. gently caress em.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 27, 2022

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Actually Biden isn't a boomer, he's even older! :)

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

A.o.D. posted:

Biden isn't going to be our last Baby Boomer president. Have fun with that knowledge!

Even a baby boomer president would be a step up, Biden is the silent generation (pre-baby boom).

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

Actually Biden isn't a boomer, he's even older! :)

1946-1964

So I guess yeah. Don't tell me Trump wasn't a boomer though. Dodging the Vietnam War draft was a core boomer activity.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

A.o.D. posted:

edit: I'd also like to point out that more than a few of the voices clutching their pearls over Biden's comment and shrieking "WW3!!" were also openly hoping for a Civil War here in the US. gently caress em.

Biden is a silent. He was born in '42.

E: beaten like a sore dick

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Even a baby boomer president would be a step up, Biden is the silent generation (pre-baby boom).

Would it really be a step up? We've already had 4 boomer presidents.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Purely from an age perspective is what I meant, I guess "step up" isn't really a good way of putting it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

Would it really be a step up? We've already had 4 boomer presidents.

Clinton, Obama, Trump and who else?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Bush Sr?

Oh lmao not even close

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Bush Jr.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Christ I completely forgot about that dude.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
28 straight years of boomer presidents. I expect at least 8-16 more after Biden.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

A.o.D. posted:

28 straight years of boomer presidents. I expect at least 8-16 more after Biden.

There will be no gen-x president. We will get ignored and it will go right from Boomer to a Millennial

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Cimber posted:

There will be no gen-x president. We will get ignored and it will go right from Boomer to a Millennial

DeSantis is genx...

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

FrozenVent posted:

Christ I completely forgot about that dude.

The RNC has done its job well.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Always better to start from a big ask and negotiate down then asking for little and getting nothing.

"Maybe we'll lift these sanctions if you fully withdraw, maybe we'll lift them if you replace putin and fully withdraw."

Let their ruling class figure out how they want to proceed. Don't start from a position of wheedling fear

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Cimber posted:

Given that Gen X is most prominently represented by Ted Cruz and Ryan DeSantis, this is probably a good thing.

Fake edit: And Kamala Harris, but the Dems have basically abandoned her already. Next most famous Gen X Democratic politician would probably be Beto, or maybe Corey Booker.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Mr. Nice! posted:

DeSantis is genx...

Okay so maybe they deserve to get skipped.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Saukkis posted:

Agreed, Western leaders have zero responsibility to drive on Moscow and haul Putin out of his bunker to face the consequences of his actions, but they absolutely have the responsibility to protect their own citizens from the threat posed by autocrats. Putin and other authoritarians (including our putative "allies") have been actively undermining liberal democracies with financing and propaganda to fertilize illiberal extremists on both the left and right. It's been a loving open joke that politician so-and-so or such-and-such an organization is aligned with foreign powers determined to sow chaos, but it's been such a slow boil that everyone has just shrugged their shoulders. Trump's election raised a degree of awareness, but plenty of folks seem content to just keep on keeping on.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Before, they could back down and presumably sanctions would be wound down. Biden's statement yesterday implies that only regime change would be acceptable for the US. That changes the decision making process on Russia's end - that is why the statement was immediately "clarified".
Russian media has long been trumpeting that the West is engaged in an existential war against the Russian people. Biden openly declaring Putin to be the unacceptably bad actor he is won't push the needle on the Kremlin's decision making an inch. Particularly since public rhetoric can easily differ wildly from private: a leader using uncompromising language to rally sentiment and policy at home and with allies can easily backchannel that there's room for accommodation should Putin completely withdraw and pay reparations. Start at a maximalist position instead of giving away the whole ball game from the start, especially when Russia's capabilities are so clearly wanting.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

No he did not say, “Only regime change is acceptable to the US”. This is a horrible bad faith interpretation of his statement.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 27, 2022

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FrozenVent posted:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

"Please Counter Attack."

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1508155336359923723

I can't be certain, but that looks like an unscoped mosin. How the gently caress is this happening? The AK family of assault rifles is the most mass produced weapon in human history. Nothing was made more than them. Why even bother arming someone on a modern battlefield if the best you can give them is a bolt action garbage rod.

Jesus, it's not even an m44. Just a straight up 91/30.

edit: It makes me wonder if my M44 was robbed out of a Russian warehouse and wasn't actual surplus.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 27, 2022

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I wonder if they were issued a rusted through AK and brought the mosin from home or something along those lines?

That’s the only way this makes sense.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
It'd be even funnier if they were Finnish Mosins

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

A.o.D. posted:

edit: It makes me wonder if my M44 was robbed out of a Russian warehouse and wasn't actual surplus.

You know the answer already but...

The friendly local MilSurp store posted:

Army surplus is sometimes available from dead or undead regimes, like the DDR or the Soviet Union. The Soviet stuff is usually "surplus", meaning it's either from some ex-ComBloc warehouse, or purchased in Russia from an army base quartermaster with loose morale, by a person who knows someone, who knows someone. The Russian army never officially sells any of its property.

Thanks for helping, comrade! :ukraine:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

You know the answer already but...

Thanks for helping, comrade! :ukraine:

There's the possibility that it could be legit surplus that came from a former SSR or Eastern European warehouse.

I really hope it got looted from a Russian one, though.