Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

meatpimp posted:

I need some advice.

I bought that stack of 10/4x10x8' boards, about 40 of them, last fall. They ended up being something along the lines of cottonwood or buckeye.

I put them in a stack 4 deep, 10 high with stickers every 4 rows. I then covered it with a tarp put them on the tarp to start, on top of the concrete patio. I thought that would keep them dry, but I went to grab one today and got a strong mold smell and definite growth on the boards.

What should I do to a) dry them out, and b) set it up so that I can keep them more dry?
You need stickers between every row ideally if the wood is not dry. Wood with one side open to the air and the other side against a wet board will warp like crazy. And yeah, tarps are bad. A few pieces of metal roofing over the stack is much better so there is air flow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregday
May 23, 2003

I have questions about polishing a lacquer finish. I'm building a box that I want a mirror gloss finish on. It's all pine ply. I'm doing all my testing on a scrap board before touching the real piece. I've already put on all my coats of Minwax water-based stain.
In my tests, I've put about 7 coats of Minwax high gloss clear lacquer. I lightly sanded with 800 grit after the first 2 coats and did nothing between the subsequent coats. I let each coat dry for a day before putting on the next. 24 hours after the last coat, I'm trying hitting it with my 5" orbital polisher. I've never done any kind of buffing before so I'm not sure exactly what I need to do and for how long. I have 5 grades of buffing bads (Heavy, Medium, Light, Polish, Finish Polish).

I guess in order my questions are:

Should I have done more coats?

Do I need to use all the buffing pads? I assume whatever order needs to be heaviest to lightest.

How long should I expect to buff with each pad?

Should I do any final sanding after the last coat before moving to the polisher? I have sanding discs up to 2000 grit.

Should I use any sort of liquid polishing agent with the tool? I've seen some things about just throwing on some soapy water.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

meatpimp posted:

This stuff had been sitting in a barn for decades, so before I got it wet, it was dry. I've got a piece in the garage now, I'll let it sit for a while, then plane it and get a moisture reading.

Oh!

That's dry wood. It might get wet on the surface, but you can hose down a plank of dry wood, and it'll be back to dry by tomorrow. There's no need to sticker it or season it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

gregday posted:

I have questions about polishing a lacquer finish. I'm building a box that I want a mirror gloss finish on. It's all pine ply. I'm doing all my testing on a scrap board before touching the real piece. I've already put on all my coats of Minwax water-based stain.
In my tests, I've put about 7 coats of Minwax high gloss clear lacquer. I lightly sanded with 800 grit after the first 2 coats and did nothing between the subsequent coats. I let each coat dry for a day before putting on the next. 24 hours after the last coat, I'm trying hitting it with my 5" orbital polisher. I've never done any kind of buffing before so I'm not sure exactly what I need to do and for how long. I have 5 grades of buffing bads (Heavy, Medium, Light, Polish, Finish Polish).

I guess in order my questions are:

Should I have done more coats?

Do I need to use all the buffing pads? I assume whatever order needs to be heaviest to lightest.

How long should I expect to buff with each pad?

Should I do any final sanding after the last coat before moving to the polisher? I have sanding discs up to 2000 grit.

Should I use any sort of liquid polishing agent with the tool? I've seen some things about just throwing on some soapy water.
To get a high-gloss finish that looks good you have to do 2 things. First you have to level the finish. You do this by sanding the finish with sandpaper and a sanding block. Then you polish that level surface to the desired sheen.

For leveling, I usually use 320 grit Wet sandpaper that I lubricate with soapy water and back with a foam sanding block. You can get them at auto paint supply stores. It takes a long time, it's tedious, and you'll probably cut through all the finish in some places, depends alot on how thick the finish is and how flat/well sanded it was prior to finishing. You can do this with a power sander, but you are pretty much guaranteed to cut through the finish, especially on the edges. You can let it dry really well and spray more finish on. Depending on how heavy a coat you spray, 7 coats might be a whole lot or not very much, so that really doesn't tell me much. It will sand easier if you let the finish cure for a month or so, but nitrocellulose lacquer tends to clog sandpaper pretty badly no matter what.

You can also do much of the levelling between coats of finish when you scuff sand. Sand with a block and 320 dry paper between coats to really cut the finish back, recoat, repeat ad nauseum. If you're using pure nitrocellulose lacquer, you can build the finish basically as thick as you want.

After you have the finish level (look at it with raking light-it should all be evenly dull with no shiny parts), you can start polishing. First I'd use finer grits of paper up to 1000 or so grit, and then using some kind of rubbing compound to finish polishing it. There are commercial compounds for auto body work, but I've always used pumice and rottenstone. 4F pumice first, lubricated with a little oil and rub rub rub rub rub, and then do the same with rottenstone. It takes forever and your hands will hurt. Maybe your buffing pads will make all that easier-I don't have much experience with those.

You can get a real good looking finish with much less work by not aiming for a mirror finish. The shinier and smoother a finish is, the more it shows every single little imperfection. My normal finish is to wet sand basically level but with some wood pores still showing with 320, then rub out with 0000 steel wool and finish with a good paste wax. The steel wool scratches help hide all the little stuff that isn't level, and the wax on top brings back a nice shine.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

To get a high-gloss finish that looks good you have to do 2 things. First you have to level the finish. You do this by sanding the finish with sandpaper and a sanding block. Then you polish that level surface to the desired sheen.

For leveling, I usually use 320 grit Wet sandpaper that I lubricate with soapy water and back with a foam sanding block. You can get them at auto paint supply stores. It takes a long time, it's tedious, and you'll probably cut through all the finish in some places, depends alot on how thick the finish is and how flat/well sanded it was prior to finishing. You can do this with a power sander, but you are pretty much guaranteed to cut through the finish, especially on the edges. You can let it dry really well and spray more finish on. Depending on how heavy a coat you spray, 7 coats might be a whole lot or not very much, so that really doesn't tell me much. It will sand easier if you let the finish cure for a month or so, but nitrocellulose lacquer tends to clog sandpaper pretty badly no matter what.

You can also do much of the levelling between coats of finish when you scuff sand. Sand with a block and 320 dry paper between coats to really cut the finish back, recoat, repeat ad nauseum. If you're using pure nitrocellulose lacquer, you can build the finish basically as thick as you want.

After you have the finish level (look at it with raking light-it should all be evenly dull with no shiny parts), you can start polishing. First I'd use finer grits of paper up to 1000 or so grit, and then using some kind of rubbing compound to finish polishing it. There are commercial compounds for auto body work, but I've always used pumice and rottenstone. 4F pumice first, lubricated with a little oil and rub rub rub rub rub, and then do the same with rottenstone. It takes forever and your hands will hurt. Maybe your buffing pads will make all that easier-I don't have much experience with those.

You can get a real good looking finish with much less work by not aiming for a mirror finish. The shinier and smoother a finish is, the more it shows every single little imperfection. My normal finish is to wet sand basically level but with some wood pores still showing with 320, then rub out with 0000 steel wool and finish with a good paste wax. The steel wool scratches help hide all the little stuff that isn't level, and the wax on top brings back a nice shine.

Thanks, that is great information and tremendously helpful.

I’m actually brushing the lacquer on with a high quality bristle brush instead of spraying. Can I still get a level surface if I used a brush?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

You can you just have to do more sanding to get it flat before you start polishing.

I shoot guitars with nitrocellulose lacquer and wet sand it with 600 or 800 grit depending on the level of orange peel I need to level out.
Then once it's flat all over I use the micromesh pads and go through all the grits (they have their own grading system)
After that it doesn't take that much effort to buff it out to a high gloss.

Lacquer shrinks as it dries so you want to give it time to do that before you do any sanding or else your shiny polished finish might start showing grain lines after you're done.
I usually give a new finish 30 days to do it's thing but it depends on your local temperature/humidity too.

This is one I finished last year after polishing and putting it all together.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Sounds like I need to get a HVLP sprayer and thin down my lacquer and get some micro mesh pads too.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

gregday posted:

Sounds like I need to get a HVLP sprayer and thin down my lacquer and get some micro mesh pads too.
Brushing is fine if you are using a lacquer meant for brushing. It will dry much slower and so will have time to flow out smooth. If you thin it, you run the risk of getting drips and runs which take quite a lot to sand out. If you do want to thin it, thin it with lacquer retarder (no more than 10% of the volume of lacquer) not thinner. It will slow the drying even more and help the brush marks flow out. Sanding more heavily between coats will probably be more important with a brushed lacquer, but brushing lacquer will build thickness much faster than sprayed lacquer which is helpful if you want a a mirror finish.

Be careful and do your homework if you want to spray lacquer. Anything to do with spraying lacquer absolutely should be done outdoors. Nitrocellulose lacquer is basically gunpowder dissolved in gasoline and when you spray that into an aerosol, bad things can happen if there’s any sort of ignition source. If you’re brushing it still make sure you have great ventilation.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Sounds like a bandsaw would be the way to go. Unfortunately anything smaller than a 14" is basically a toy and you will likely be frustrated. Lee Valley has a Rikon 14", Busybee has a Craftex 14" and CWI has a 14" that would all be decent, but all over $1k.

I recognize you from the Toronto thread, so if I see anything used come up in the area I'll send you a pm. Although the used market for bandsaws around here hasn't been great. I was looking for one, as I was waiting on a new one for 11 months, I figured if I could get something reasonable used I would cancel my order, but there's not much out there.

Update, I got the panel in. Still needs a bit more work to clean up but I am very happy that it turned out, I also got it to sit even with the frame which was what was concerning me the most with the build.

Update, finished the coffee table.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Fantastic! I love the little checkerboard edging, love the joinery, love the bookmatched centerpiece, love the proportions. Gosh.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Be careful and do your homework if you want to spray lacquer. Anything to do with spraying lacquer absolutely should be done outdoors. Nitrocellulose lacquer is basically gunpowder dissolved in gasoline and when you spray that into an aerosol, bad things can happen if there’s any sort of ignition source. If you’re brushing it still make sure you have great ventilation.

That's a bit alarmist and I'm gonna disagree with some of it. Outdoor spraying is going to invite crap floaties getting into your job before it cures. And that sucks. Ideally a ventilated shop with maybe one side open, shop fan venting out, low wind, low humidity, decent temp is pretty ideal. While yeah, nitrocellulose lacquer is flammable, it's not a bomb. Just be sensible about lit pilot flames, etc. like Kaiser mentions. Literally all new construction from the 60's onward into the oughts used it, so it's not quite that bad about blowing up.

However, it's the most toxic common application. Definitely wear a carbon filtered respirator, and if you're doing a lot of it indoors, consider a jumpsuit or disposable bunny suit.

The upside? Why do people use it so ubiquitously? Because it's still the most forgiving, quickest drying and curing application out there- although water-based has made giant strides, and I'd recommend it over lacquer all day long.

Leperflesh posted:

Fantastic! I love the little checkerboard edging, love the joinery, love the bookmatched centerpiece, love the proportions. Gosh.

Ditto.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Excellent work. You're the guy who does the crazy inlay designs, right? I bet it was nice working with just four big sheets, hahah.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

The leg tenoned through the bridle joint is a wonderful design, I love that.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mr. Mambold posted:

That's a bit alarmist and I'm gonna disagree with some of it. Outdoor spraying is going to invite crap floaties getting into your job before it cures. And that sucks. Ideally a ventilated shop with maybe one side open, shop fan venting out, low wind, low humidity, decent temp is pretty ideal. While yeah, nitrocellulose lacquer is flammable, it's not a bomb. Just be sensible about lit pilot flames, etc. like Kaiser mentions. Literally all new construction from the 60's onward into the oughts used it, so it's not quite that bad about blowing up.

However, it's the most toxic common application. Definitely wear a carbon filtered respirator, and if you're doing a lot of it indoors, consider a jumpsuit or disposable bunny suit.

The upside? Why do people use it so ubiquitously? Because it's still the most forgiving, quickest drying and curing application out there- although water-based has made giant strides, and I'd recommend it over lacquer all day long.

Ditto.
It is a bit alarmist, but I think some alarm is warranted when someone is talking about spraying lacquer for the first time. You can smoke in a spray room and not blow up-it's a terrible idea but I've seen it done! On the other hand, my old boss's first shop burned from a spray room fire that started with someone flicking the lights on in the morning after stuff had been drying and off-gassing overnight and apparently made just the right mix of solvent and air for a tiny spark to ignite. It's potentially pretty dangerous stuff.

Lacquer is great and I love it as a finish for all the reasons you mention, but it's not something I'd recommend anyone jump into.

Meow Meow Meow posted:

That came out great and I love your rug. I have a very similar one.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Beautiful. Is that curly maple perimeter of the top?

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
^^ Thanks all, guess I should write a bit about it. The centre panel is walnut burl and the rest of the table is cherry.

The inlay banding is cherry and walnut, I glued up strips then sliced them on the bandsaw and glued them so they are end grain facing up. I struggled with what to go with here for a while. I was considering something fancier, something along the lines of a federal inlay banding, but ultimately thought it wouldn't fit the style so I went simpler and subdued.

For the finish I used Osmo oil gloss, I actually read the directions on the website this time, they were different than what was on the can and I got better results than previously. The can says to use 2 coats and the website says if you're wiping to do 4-6, I did 6 in this case. My only complaint is that the walnut burl is so porous that it still looks pretty rough in the right light. Might look into some sort of pore filler the next time I use this walnut, or use a finish with more of a build.

ColdPie posted:

Excellent work. You're the guy who does the crazy inlay designs, right? I bet it was nice working with just four big sheets, hahah.

Yeah, this was a quick and easy matchup, although not without a bit of stress, it was the biggest overall sheet of veneer I laid up and pressed, 13" x 30" I think.

meatpimp posted:

Beautiful. Is that curly maple perimeter of the top?

It's cherry, the top pieces definitely have a bit of curl to them.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It is a bit alarmist, but I think some alarm is warranted when someone is talking about spraying lacquer for the first time. You can smoke in a spray room and not blow up-it's a terrible idea but I've seen it done! On the other hand, my old boss's first shop burned from a spray room fire that started with someone flicking the lights on in the morning after stuff had been drying and off-gassing overnight and apparently made just the right mix of solvent and air for a tiny spark to ignite. It's potentially pretty dangerous stuff.

Lacquer is great and I love it as a finish for all the reasons you mention, but it's not something I'd recommend anyone jump into.

You're on point re: a first-timer, and nothing like a traumatic experience like that to.....I think you've mentioned that before. I find it remarkable, tbf, that just turning on lighting could create a spark without there being a short somewhere. It's mind boggling. Even if it was knife fuses.

I'd completely recommend water-based lacquer in that case. Indoors, moderate temp, no worries about humidity even!

Meow Meow Meow posted:

It's cherry, the top pieces definitely have a bit of curl to them.

Looking at it again, that burl has Rorschach vibes. You could custom those for psychologists and make a :10bux: bundle!

2nd edit- and, and.....goatse? drat, the market here, friend!

Mr. Mambold fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 23, 2022

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Explosion Proof lights are a thing for a reason.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mr. Mambold posted:

You're on point re: a first-timer, and nothing like a traumatic experience like that to.....I think you've mentioned that before. I find it remarkable, tbf, that just turning on lighting could create a spark without there being a short somewhere. It's mind boggling. Even if it was knife fuses.

I'd completely recommend water-based lacquer in that case. Indoors, moderate temp, no worries about humidity even!

Looking at it again, that burl has Rorschach vibes. You could custom those for psychologists and make a :10bux: bundle!

2nd edit- and, and.....goatse? drat, the market here, friend!

That walnut looks like a medieval apocalypse painting. Christ at the top surrounded by white, with all the wailing souls gnashing their teeth below him.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Took this winter off of any garage time, due mostly to a baby. Went back out today and all my glue is ruined. Thick and clumpy. Wasn't a particularly bad winter for DFW, but I've never had a bit of cold weather ruin wood glue:(

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
I've got powder post beetles in the wood framing of my exterior, freestanding garage in the backyard. I have got a guy coming to treat all the framing of the garage in a couple of weeks, which is fully exposed. I had planned to use this space as my woodworking space, and I have done a few projects in there. Am I completely boned on this front? I guess I should probably get rid of any wood that's been sitting out there a while? There's some random pieces of scrap plywood/old framing lumber that I can throw away without feeling too bad, but I've had some pieces of hardwood hanging out there for almost a year at this point. Trying to figure out what to do about it.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Just Winging It posted:

Explosion Proof lights are a thing for a reason.
It's so that you still have some light after the explosion, right?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Hi friends! I am looking for advice. I'm converting my pickup truck into a camper, and part of that is a convertible dinette area: two bench-seats on either side of a table in one configuration; a small bed in the other. I'm looking for either a piece of hardware for sale to make the table go up and down or recommendations for a way to simply build this some other way to get that same behavior. This kind of convertible area is common in sail yacht salons (e.g. ), but as near as I can find the... telescoping pedestal? hardware is frequently one or more of: not a real product for sale; telescopes by penetrating through the floor; extremely limited capacity or range of movement.

Maybe an alternative buildable(?) option could be like... central telescoping post made out of wood with two positions and... something... to latch it in the up position? Sounds like a very wobbly table

Am I failing to come up with a useful search term here? What are some decent mechanisms for an adjustable top table?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Telescoping legs do tend to be pretty limited, yeah, especially if you want them to take any significant amount of weight. I'm not surprised that the thing in the photo you linked isn't widely available; it's pretty specialty hardware.

One (expensive) option you might look at is legs for adjustable sit/stand desks. They have an excellent range of motion (20+ inches) and can hold plenty of weight, but they'll run you at least a couple hundred dollars. You'll probably also have to do some destructive modification to the feet to get them to fit into a constrained space.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Have you considered hinges in table legs to give you two different heights? Maybe butler hinges or something with a latch?

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
This isn't what you're asking, but have you considered something along the lines of campaign furniture-style table? Collapsible and very space efficient without being flimsy or cheap.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Its a fairly standard bit of kit - https://www.force4.co.uk/item/Oscul...KoaAqN4EALw_wcB

They're not super cheap but its probably easier to buy something like that instead of trying to bodge something

Although depending on how much elevation change you need an office chair lift would probably work, but they don't have a huge amount of travel.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
A square post in a square sleeve would work fine. Stick a pin (dowel or metal rod) through two holes drilled at the raised or lowered position. Would be entirely manual. Whether it wobbles or not would depend on your ability to get everything square and tight but not too tight.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I am thinking of building a large litter box out of some scrap plywood I have, and coating it with Spar Urethane. Will that hold up to cat pee? Is it toxic to pets after it's cured? I can't imagine them trying to eat or lick it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Elysium posted:

I am thinking of building a large litter box out of some scrap plywood I have, and coating it with Spar Urethane. Will that hold up to cat pee? Is it toxic to pets after it's cured? I can't imagine them trying to eat or lick it.

Virtually nothing will hold up to cat pee. Also, depending on your cat's litter box habits she might do a good job of scratching the hell out of the wood itself.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Elysium posted:

Can you coat it with a liner or even put a plastic liner inside? I can't imagine that the ammonia in the urine won't react or degrade the urethane over time. It wouldn't be extremely fast, but it'll eventually just smell like wood floors that have had a cat pee on them too many times.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Go to Walmart and buy a plastic litter box the size you want. Then build a plywood box to put the plastic one inside.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Same question as a poster a couple days ago—I just got a $100 gift card to Klingspor’s, and my first thought is to get some Japanese saws…is that a good call?

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Apollodorus posted:

Same question as a poster a couple days ago—I just got a $100 gift card to Klingspor’s, and my first thought is to get some Japanese saws…is that a good call?

I've been happy with mine. Easy to learn and cuts fantastic for the cost.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Anyone ever seen/tried 3d printing small hand planes? I'm really more thinking of like, scraper/scratch stock holders for moulding profiles, where the moulding curves along the work and the plane needs to be slightly rounded like a coachmaker's plane. The 3d-printed (or wood, tbh) part would be roughly the same profile as the finished molding and support the scratch stock or scraper to hold it at a consistent angle to keep the profile consistent.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Anyone ever seen/tried 3d printing small hand planes? I'm really more thinking of like, scraper/scratch stock holders for moulding profiles, where the moulding curves along the work and the plane needs to be slightly rounded like a coachmaker's plane. The 3d-printed (or wood, tbh) part would be roughly the same profile as the finished molding and support the scratch stock or scraper to hold it at a consistent angle to keep the profile consistent.

I’ve printed a bullnose plane that uses double or single edge razor blades, and I’m modeling a new wedge for my wooden skewed moving fillister plane.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I have a table project that has become a place to test things slightly outside of my skill range. The glue up didn't go great, and I think this is a prime time to learn a little bit of epoxy to fill the cracks.

It is technically 3/4 inches deep, but much more narrow than that. Do I need an epoxy rated for a depth of 3/4? I'm also assuming for something this small I won't need many of the extra tools like a heat gun.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Serenade posted:

It is technically 3/4 inches deep, but much more narrow than that. Do I need an epoxy rated for a depth of 3/4? I'm also assuming for something this small I won't need many of the extra tools like a heat gun.

I'd probably just split it and do the glue up again rather than trying to fill it in. You'll get a better result. If that's not an option for whatever reason the depth rating of the epoxy isn't really going to matter because of how thin that is.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

yeah there is no goop you can stick in there that's going to be all that structurally meaningful. If you're just trying to fill the hole you could try rubbing some glue and fine sawdust in there but ehhh that's a big crack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
It's more for visual effect and hand feel at this point. There's going to be an apron and more support on the underside. I don't want to break the joint and redo it because my only clamps that were long enough broke, which is why the crack happened in the first place.