Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

CoolCab posted:

at launch at least there was a fairly long list of games that broke when using an e core machine in 10 when it tried to share the load over uneven cores, iirc. no idea if it's still true

That wasn't really an issue with the scheduler, moving threads between P cores and E cores is valid, but Denuvo DRM assumed CPUID would never change on the fly and Alder Lake core migration broke that assumption

It's all been fixed at this point either with game updates or Microsoft hacking around it on their end, which they did for Win10 as well despite it using the old scheduler

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000088261/processors/intel-core-processors.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Is there some Windows Audio guide?

I don't understand why this is so freaking complicated but why can't I use my microphone at the same time while having sound? I'm even using the USB Dongle that came with my Plantronics headset - what gives?

Sounds to me like you're connecting over BT.
If so, you need to use the headset/handsfree devices which means the audio quality is garbage.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I'm still hearing unpleasant stories about the upgrade process introducing bugs like it always does.
I'd certainly get 11 on any new installations today but I'd give it like another six months or until I hear it's bulletproof, unless you're willing to do a fresh wipe and reinstall.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

~Coxy posted:

Sounds to me like you're connecting over BT.
If so, you need to use the headset/handsfree devices which means the audio quality is garbage.

I had to set my Plantronics headset to use "HD Voice" or something like that in the Plantronics Hub software, and might have also had to change the settings in the sound control panel to make it do decent audio quality. Until I did that it did sound like poo poo.

For whatever reason my Jabra headsets work fine with no jiggering at all.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Is there some Windows Audio guide?

I don't understand why this is so freaking complicated but why can't I use my microphone at the same time while having sound? I'm even using the USB Dongle that came with my Plantronics headset - what gives?

Bluetooth sucks on Windows. Basically, it'll kick back down to a lovely mono-level quality profile if you are using both voice and sound at the same time unless you go via the dongle - so make absolutely sure it is connected via that.

I had a nightmare in discord with using my QC35s using the internal bluetooth chip on my laptop. There were essentially 2 devices in the playback tab of the audio control panel: "QC35 Hands-Free AG Audio" and "QC35 Stereo". The latter was the standard good-quality stereo audio (using an A2DP profile), but as soon as I used the voice input ("QC35 Hands-Free AG Audio" in the recording tab of sound control panel), it would disable the stereo audio output. Apparently, this behavour is due to it dropping back to a very low-quality audio profile for simultaneous mic and audio (using a HFP profile).

So even if I manually selected the stereo as the audio output and the AG audio input as the input in Discord, I'd effectively lose all audio as soon as I enabled the mic. However, if I let it stay as default devices, it'd auto-toggle to the AG audio output in lovely mono quality because the OS would cut over to that.

I know you say you're using the USB dongle, but double-check that you are. My Plantronics dongle at work comes up as "Headset Earphone (Plantronics BT600)" for playback and "Headset Microphone (Plantronics BT600)" for recording.

tl;dr: Bluetooth audio on Windows is an absolute loving poo poo-show.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 6, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Nam Taf posted:

Bluetooth sucks on Windows. Basically, it'll kick back down to a lovely mono-level quality profile if you are using both voice and sound at the same time unless you go via the dongle - so make absolutely sure it is connected via that.

I had a nightmare in discord with using my QC35s using the internal bluetooth chip on my laptop. There were essentially 2 devices in the playback tab of the audio control panel: "QC35 Hands-Free AG Audio" and "QC35 Stereo". The latter was the standard good-quality stereo audio (using an A2DP profile), but as soon as I used the voice input ("QC35 Hands-Free AG Audio" in the recording tab of sound control panel), it would disable the stereo audio output. Apparently, this behavour is due to it dropping back to a very low-quality audio profile for simultaneous mic and audio (using a HFP profile).

That's not Windows's fault, that's an inherent bluetooth thing. The bluetooth profiles that support 2-way audio use low-complexity codecs that are ok for voice and poo poo for music. A2DP is one-way only. Turning on the mic on a bluetooth headset switches to HSP/HFP modes which have crap audio quality, and there's no avoiding it*.

Bluetooth sucked in the past on windows, but starting with 10 it improved to "as good as any other platform". Which is still not amazing, because bluetooth is inherently kinda sucky. AptX and AAC are both supported for A2DP (depending on hardware), so music playback is generally good.

*other than proprietary systems -- apple device + recent apple airpods use AAC for 2-way mode and so sound way better. But even they drop to mono!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I used to steer people away from Bluetooth headsets for that reason, and went down the route of DECT units (this was in the time when headsets were primarily for deskphones, and PC compatibility was an additional feature). DECT hasn't been touched in years though whereas Bluetooth is constantly getting improvements in terms of bandwidth and power consumption - my new Poly Voyager battery lasts for ages compared to the Plantronics DECT headset I used before.

But yeah, use the dongle. Teams certified devices use the dongle, and they get selected by default when the Teams client can see them. Paired out the box, and leaves a Bluetooth pairing slot free for your mobile.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The "changelog" of the latest dev build mentions that they're going to bug you about the Memory Integrity feature, if it's turned off. I sure hope that notification stays entirely within the Defender UI, because I can't be assed with yet another toaster notification on (re)boot, more so because it's a performance killer on my CPU that doesn't support MBEC/GMET.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
The latest update for Win11 magically fixed the BT chip on my motherboard, which previously would disconnect and reconnect several times a second and cause the most annoying cavalcade of USB connect/disconnect sounds to come out of my speakers. Good to know that it was a Windows problem and not a chip problem, I tried every combination of drivers all the way back to the first released versions with no success.

Belbos Computer
Nov 20, 2005

Fiat Lux, Big Bang, seven days, seven minutes, seven seconds, and a universe is born before your eyes.
Slippery Tilde
So the latest update wouldn't boot up for me on my HP Spectre laptop.

I tried to fix using a Windows 11 USB, but no dice -- it couldn't repair. Then I tried to reinstall Windows and keep my files--no again. Finally, I decided to try to reinstall clean, but it can't find my hard drives... I ran a hardware test in the bios and the drive is showing that it's working just fine. Does anyone have any idea what I can try next? I've resigned myself to losing my files--now I would just like a laptop that boots!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Belbos Computer posted:

So the latest update wouldn't boot up for me on my HP Spectre laptop.

I tried to fix using a Windows 11 USB, but no dice -- it couldn't repair. Then I tried to reinstall Windows and keep my files--no again. Finally, I decided to try to reinstall clean, but it can't find my hard drives... I ran a hardware test in the bios and the drive is showing that it's working just fine. Does anyone have any idea what I can try next? I've resigned myself to losing my files--now I would just like a laptop that boots!

Prolly what happened is the bios lost its decryption key for the SSD which is encrypted. All you can hope is to get the recovery key out of your MS account. If not youll have to format and reinstall.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Is it a personal machine? Strange it it really is an encryption thing. You dont need to lose your files in this kind of situation, boot to the windows install media and get up command prompt (f7 maybe? google it) and use the command line to copy your poo poo to a flash or other external drive. Might be SOL on that method though if install isn't showing you your drives.

Belbos Computer
Nov 20, 2005

Fiat Lux, Big Bang, seven days, seven minutes, seven seconds, and a universe is born before your eyes.
Slippery Tilde

codo27 posted:

Is it a personal machine? Strange it it really is an encryption thing. You dont need to lose your files in this kind of situation, boot to the windows install media and get up command prompt (f7 maybe? google it) and use the command line to copy your poo poo to a flash or other external drive. Might be SOL on that method though if install isn't showing you your drives.

Yeah it's a personal machine. Command prompt can't find the drive either.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Belbos Computer posted:

Yeah it's a personal machine. Command prompt can't find the drive either.

What exactly does this "bios hardware test" look like?

Try a bootable linux usb stick. Boot that and launch gparted. If that doesn't see the drive, I think your drive is dead.

redeyes posted:

Prolly what happened is the bios lost its decryption key for the SSD which is encrypted. All you can hope is to get the recovery key out of your MS account. If not youll have to format and reinstall.

What? The key for self-encrypting drives isn't in the bios, they're inside the SSD itself. This makes zero sense.

Bitlocker stores keys in the TPM, but that would not make the drive vanish.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
He said the drive is still detected but cant access it. Smells like encryption to me.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Nam Taf posted:

So even if I manually selected the stereo as the audio output and the AG audio input as the input in Discord, I'd effectively lose all audio as soon as I enabled the mic. However, if I let it stay as default devices, it'd auto-toggle to the AG audio output in lovely mono quality because the OS would cut over to that.

I know you say you're using the USB dongle, but double-check that you are. My Plantronics dongle at work comes up as "Headset Earphone (Plantronics BT600)" for playback and "Headset Microphone (Plantronics BT600)" for recording.

tl;dr: Bluetooth audio on Windows is an absolute loving poo poo-show.
Oh man gently caress all of this. Getting my Bluetooth headphones' input and output working simultaneously is just a nightmare for some things. Discord and Team Fortress 2 are standout examples. It is not fun and not conducive to jumping into a call or game with friends. I swear I've found some order of enabling and disabling things where I got the good quality output and input, but couldn't replicate it.

As you say Bluetooth is just not good for this. The best solution is to use the analog audio ports or a USB microphone. I really wish the tech / spec was better than this.

Belbos Computer
Nov 20, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Klyith posted:

Try a bootable linux usb stick. Boot that and launch gparted. If that doesn't see the drive, I think your drive is dead.

This is finding the drive-- that's a relief... Should I format from here and then reinstall Windows?

e: honestly i might end up keeping ubuntu just to mess around with! I was not expecting all of the touch-screen & hardware buttons to work out of the box without driver fuckery, but I guess it's been around a decade since I messed around with linux...

Belbos Computer fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 7, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Belbos Computer posted:

This is finding the drive-- that's a relief... Should I format from here and then reinstall Windows?

If you want to just get the PC working again asap yeah. Though I'm not sure what's up if linux can see the drive and the windows installer can't.

But if you want to try some data recovery you have some options. I'm assuming gparted doesn't see any windows partitions on the drive? You might be able to re-create the partition table with testdisk, if somehow that getting deleted is what happened.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Klyith posted:

If you want to just get the PC working again asap yeah. Though I'm not sure what's up if linux can see the drive and the windows installer can't.

I've had this happen a few times, but it was always because the drive itself was borked and for some reason Windows seems to have a much lower threshold for declaring a drive so hosed up that it doesn't exist.

Belbos Computer
Nov 20, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Klyith posted:

But if you want to try some data recovery you have some options. I'm assuming gparted doesn't see any windows partitions on the drive? You might be able to re-create the partition table with testdisk, if somehow that getting deleted is what happened.

All fixed -- thanks for the help! I didn't even try to recover the data--I'm just thrilled I was able to get it back working.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

All of a sudden my Dell work laptop with 11 is painfully slow. Performance inside an application is fine, like a web browser, but launching explorer can take 10 seconds, and clicking around folders or Windows settings can take 4 seconds or more. During those lags I don't see any unusual spikes. Memory's at 50%, disk activity negligible, CPU only gets to 20% with all my work apps running.

All my updates are installed, drivers are up to date. I hate to be That Nerd but I might ask my boss if I can install Linux.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is the search indexer ballsing it up? My indexer got stuck and I just did a reinstall (keeping all apps/documents) and that fixed it. It's a really painless option and takes about an hour.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Zapf Dingbat posted:

All of a sudden my Dell work laptop with 11 is painfully slow. Performance inside an application is fine, like a web browser, but launching explorer can take 10 seconds, and clicking around folders or Windows settings can take 4 seconds or more. During those lags I don't see any unusual spikes. Memory's at 50%, disk activity negligible, CPU only gets to 20% with all my work apps running.

All my updates are installed, drivers are up to date. I hate to be That Nerd but I might ask my boss if I can install Linux.

Does it have a solid state drive?

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

codo27 posted:

Does it have a solid state drive?

Yes.

Thanks Ants posted:

Is the search indexer ballsing it up? My indexer got stuck and I just did a reinstall (keeping all apps/documents) and that fixed it. It's a really painless option and takes about an hour.

Is this Indexing Options > Advanced > Delete and Rebuild Index?

Edit: I just realized you meant reinstalling Windows, right?

Zapf Dingbat fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 8, 2022

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

I ended up reinstalling Windows. Quick, but kind of ridiculous.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Live Linux environments have been life savers for me at times. Back in 2005 one of my university chums had their Windows XP machine take a stroke and they thought they'd lost a few dozen assignments etc. This was before the days of cloud sync of course.

Booting from a Linux CD allowed me to recover all their work before formatting the thing. Sometimes at night I can still see the tears of happiness.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Zapf Dingbat posted:

This is anecdotal, but on my Dell work laptop I'd notice the thing working extra hard, like fans spinning up and it struggling with things it normally does, and checking Task Manager revealed it was the drat clit-mouse driver going apeshit. Alps was eating up a core on its own, which was weird since I never use the goddamn clit-mouse. I turned it off in the settings, but I think I have seen it happen even after that. Killing the process would make the laptop go back to normal.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Heran Bago posted:

<snip>
As you say Bluetooth is just not good for this. The best solution is to use the analog audio ports or a USB microphone. I really wish the tech / spec was better than this.

I got rid of my usb setup last year...I use a wired headset with separate 3.5 headphone & mic plugs (two plugs from one wire) plugged into the back of the computer. My old-rear end (but still powerful) speakers are a single 3.5 audio out in the front panel. Then I use SoundSwitch (Ear Trumpet is an alternative) and a ctrl+NumPad 0 hotkey to switch between speakers and headset instantly.

I don't know about your motherboard's audio outputs/input, but freeing up 3 USB slots on my new computer leaving more room for gadgets and I don't gently caress around in my Bluetooth control panel anymore, either. The headset was bought like 5 years ago, too, and wasn't expensive at all. Just throwing an alternative out there; it's saved me a lot of headaches.

Edit: "Clit Mouse" is a baller-rear end punk band name, fo' sho'.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 10, 2022

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
....what were you using that you needed 3 separate USB ports for your audio? I could see one for the microphone and one for an audio interface maybe but I'm struggling to come up with a combination headset that uses 2 separate USB connections

barnold fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 10, 2022

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

barnold posted:

....what were you using that you needed 3 separate USB ports for your audio? I could see one for the microphone and one for an audio interface maybe but I'm struggling to come up with a combination headset that uses 2 separate USB connections

An old headset that came with a SoundBlaster! sound card from 1998 (my last "free" summer I worked a temp job at MCI between M1 & M2 to have something to do, my headset, USB first-gen, had separate USB plugs for headphones and microphone). I also had some "extra" desktop speakers that connected via USB. Even though 3.5mm jacks are older tech, I really like my current no-USB sound hookup. And the Logitech G wire is 10' of cable, so I can get up and around my room without having them jerked off my head when I get up to reach for the 2FA code on my phone on my night stand!

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

ah, it makes a lot more sense that now that I know it was just an insanely esoteric and obsolete setup. just buy a Focusrite and a decent USB microphone imo, or go full speed ahead with an XLR mic right into the interface if that's your jam

the last time I relied on 3.5mm for anything more than a set of headphones, I spent more time loving around trying to diagnose ground loops than actually listening to anything, probably due to lovely jacks on the motherboard

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Upgrade attempt:
I tried an in place upgrade which failed twice, so I had to do a clean (keep files) upgrade to 11 using the recovery menu. The path was win 10 pro to win 11 pro, windows never ceases to amaze :golfclap:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
My parents are starting to get nag messages to upgrade to W11. Browsing through this thread it sounds like they'd be better off sticking with W10 for another year or so, or just waiting until they get a new PC that comes with?

I read so many W10 horror stories that when my old W7 PC finally started crapping out I finally made the jump to Linux (PopOS for the sweet sweet Nvivia driver support). Sure I've had to fix and tweak a bunch of stuff to get it working the way I want, but it sounds like modern Windows users have it at least that bad, if not having their systems be even less stable every time MS drops a version patch.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
There's absolutely nothing wrong with windows 11, other than a handful of butthurt neckbeards descending into hysterics because they can't have their taskbar on the side any more. It's a vast jump forward in UI consistency and polish. If their PC can officially support windows 11 they should just go ahead and upgrade.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

The Lord Bude posted:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with windows 11, other than a handful of butthurt neckbeards descending into hysterics because they can't have their taskbar on the side any more. It's a vast jump forward in UI consistency and polish. If their PC can officially support windows 11 they should just go ahead and upgrade.

-- The take of someone who gets easily distracted by new, shiny things!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

-- The take of someone who gets easily distracted by new, shiny things!

I was going to say "Tell us you're an Apple fan without telling us you're an Apple fan."

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Takes No Damage posted:

My parents are starting to get nag messages to upgrade to W11. Browsing through this thread it sounds like they'd be better off sticking with W10 for another year or so, or just waiting until they get a new PC that comes with?

W11 seems way less broken for the launch year than W10 was. There have only been a few technical horror stories ITT.

I don't like W11 myself, for a variety of reasons well beyond the lack of vertical taskbar, but I don't see W11 being any sort of disaster for average users. It's basically a new UI skin, and an even higher amount of nag to sign up for a MS account & use Edge. It's easily the least "new" OS they've ever put out as a new version.

OTOH there's also zero harm in waiting until the end of the year.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
This is free, btw

It may go back to costing money if/when Russia unfucks itself. lol, lmao

e: it's a bad aesthetic for the tray, imo, I'm just pointing it out

sucks that it's third party though

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Lord Bude posted:

There is something wrong and its with your posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Even working at Microsoft, during my time there most of the folks I knew were baffled by some of the OS team's moves. (I wasn't in that area, different part of the company and no longer there). It was frustrating because like, the folks I knew and worked with were all pretty smart, sane people, I just don't get some of the dumb decisions around OS stuff that kept happening.

I think stuff like Windows Terminal preview and the Android emulation and WSL shows there's a lot of very interesting tech being done in that division, but someone's got poobrain real bad in the UX department.