Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm not sure how they would do it with the buttons available on a controller but it would be pretty cool if in the next Souls-lineage game they found a way to let you use both your right- and left-hand weapons' arts without having to switch to two-handing one of them. The controller is obviously already overcrowded as it is but it would be really cool to be able to have two weapon arts available at a single button-press each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Y X A on the xbox controller when the map is up.

Same buttons for PS controllers.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Tibalt posted:

You also don't have to fight every boss. Complaining that an extra-optional boss is resistant to a particularly strategy seems dumb, especially considering the perfectly thematic Black Flame does % Health and would work fine on Mogh.

Plus, as a pyromancer you’re able to rock about 75% fire resist with the thematic armor, a +2 flame talisman and the Flame, protect me buff. Mohg will have more trouble killing the person than they will him.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Okay I’m still confused exactly which thematic build you tried and struggled with, as I noted above Mohg goes down fine to the black flame spell so your pyromancer still works.

i'm using giantsflame invocations + flame weapons, and while black flame "works", i'd have to bring up godslayer to +24 to match just switching to gurranq and hucking boulders again

like, it's doable, but it's not especially fun to have the brakes pumped so dramatically. imagine having gone into the final boss with coded sword thinking you were gonna have an okay time and it's roughly the experience i'm having

satanic splash-back posted:

The dude you're quoting has been giving advice like "poise and armor doesn't matter" for weeks, so I'm not sure you're going to be able to help him...

feel free to quote any post where i said that poise and armor don't matter or shut the gently caress up, thanks

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Philthy posted:

I've been exploring underground a bit. I cleared out Ainsel River just before the stomp got nerfed. Siofra I've explored a bit. Those bow dudes wreck my poo poo, so it's been mostly speeding around pressing Y picking up everything beyond the beginning area that I cleaned out.

Atlus Plateau. I took the lift up and there was a big fuckoff dragon straight ahead, so I went left and found a dungeon and cleared it and nothing else seemed to be around there. To the right I found some super wolf and killed it. Nothing else seems to be there. I haven't tried the dragon yet.

Literally head northeast in Altus, the entire rest of the game is there.

You can't do too much in Siofra on a first visit except for lighting braziers to fight the boss. But if you've beaten Radahn then you can go hang out where that cutscene leads you (seriously, it's visible from Limgrave and western Caelid if you look) and go exploring there.

lite_sleepr posted:

Well that's stupid.

I don't think it's quite the same as 'holy vs sacred', it's more than certain weapons and abilities are specifically noted as 'effective against Those Who Live In Death' and those are the ones that kill skellies. Inseparable Sword is one such weapon, and the Sacred Order weaponskill and/or spell does it too.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Vermain posted:

i'm using giantsflame invocations + flame weapons, and while black flame "works", i'd have to bring up godslayer to +24 to match just switching to gurranq and hucking boulders again

like, it's doable, but it's not especially fun to have the brakes pumped so dramatically. imagine having gone into the final boss with coded sword thinking you were gonna have an okay time and it's roughly the experience i'm having

No you don’t have to swap seals or anything. Just throw black flame fireballs, the incant scaling from whatever seal your using will be fine. They’re designed to kill gods and you’ve definitely got a wannabe god who needs roasting. It’s going to be tougher because you’re a fire mage going against the self proclaimed god of spicy blood but it’s 100% not insurmountable.

First phase you can use Mohg’s seal twice for big damage windows. Make sure you have the physik which lets you ignore his phase change move for another big damage window. Second phase is a lot more manic but that’s the case for everyone as he speeds up a lot. Don’t need to waste time charging up the black flame fireballs though, the DoT is the main thing you want and it’s applied regardless of charging.

The brakes are only pumped for as long as it takes to swap a spell to black flame at the nearest bonfire, literally nothing else about your build sounds like it needs to be changed. He deals physical damage first phase and fire damage second phase, so break out Flame, Protect me and as mentioned before you should be sitting pretty at 75%ish fire resist.

You’ve genuinely made me tempted to farm up the missing pieces of fire prelate gear and run a full fire build now I’ve spent time thinking about workarounds.

Going into the final boss with a pure holy weapon/setup is a much better example because you’d be completely boned. But ultimately in that case it’s because the source of all your powers is the very thing you’re trying to kill, so no wonder you’re going to fail spectacularly.

Real Cool Catfish fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 28, 2022

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Vermain posted:

the real draw of heavy armor is just damage negation, there's really no point in paying attention to poise unless you're PVPing

they added the conclusion in 1.03 where he ends up in jarburg and passes away protecting them

Vermain posted:

feel free to quote any post where i said that poise and armor don't matter or shut the gently caress up, thanks

It definitely works against the AI. But maybe not against the ai in the way you play.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Like if I stumbled across the god of lightning and threw a lightning bolt at it, I’d be pretty weirded out if that did any damage whatsoever.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Like if I stumbled across the god of lightning and threw a lightning bolt at it, I’d be pretty weirded out if that did any damage whatsoever.

Please don't use logic against people who are tilted and posting about it, it won't help them (buts it's funny).

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

satanic splash-back posted:

It definitely works against the AI. But maybe not against the ai in the way you play.

poise absolutely does not matter for PVE beyond going full tragoth's and meme tanking dogs. you need an absurd amount of poise to be able to tank more than one monster hit at a time reliably, and heavy weapons have enough range and stagger to flatten anything that isn't an NPC invader, since they will not attempt to close distance or dodge away from an initial swing for a followup rolling R1 in the same way that a player will, which is the main point of having poise (to allow for favorable damage trades with heavier weapons)

video game logic is not a matter of laws of physics, but laws of gameplay; it's equally absurd to defeat a god by stabbing it in the knee with a regular sword sufficient times, but i've done that for three whole games thus far

having enemies that are heavily resistant or outright immune against certain damage types and status effects makes sense in a game like pillars of eternity, where the game is balanced around the assumption of a full party with multiple damage outputs and status effect types, but it is, imo, unduly punishing in a game that's balanced around a single player experience where character building is a significant portion of the draw

Vermain fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 28, 2022

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Going into the final boss with a pure holy weapon/setup is a much better example because you’d be completely boned. But ultimately in that case it’s because the source of all your powers is the very thing you’re trying to kill, so no wonder you’re going to fail spectacularly.

"I am being destroyed by my own creation" is a pretty classic story.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

sometimes opening this thread is like opening a chest trap and getting transported to the Whiny-Noob Catacombs

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

MechaSeinfeld posted:

sometimes opening this thread is like opening a chest trap and getting transported to the Whiny-Noob Catacombs

pretty convenient that this thread takes you to your house!!!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

MechaSeinfeld posted:

i'm not even complaining about the fight!! it's perfectly good!!!!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The Lone Badger posted:

"I am being destroyed by my own creation" is a pretty classic story.

Not to mention lots of stuff in this game is vulnerable to its own crap. I have murdered the gently caress out of Mohg, Lord of Blood with bleed effects. On the lesser end, the weird egg shaped poison and rot dudes in Limgrave and Caelid explode if you hit them with their own status effect. I used hoarfrost stomp to kill the ice dragon Borealis with frost procs.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

buffalo all day posted:

pretty convenient that this thread takes you to your house!!!

Gah!!

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Please tell me you read my short guide on how to beat Mohg as a fire build because I put effort into that.

I don’t think character building in the way you suggest is part of the draw for everyone? I love constantly trying different builds and weapons and spells, and the ease with which you can change your character is a major draw. A game which offered a bunch of cool things but told me I could only use one small subset of them per playthrough would be far less fun to me at least. This just may be where we differ.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I'm doing a no armor, no summons, no bleed playthrough while boosting the poo poo out of my vigor and it's kind of crazy how little armor does to affect survivability. Vigor seems to be the key due to defense having such a huge difference on damage reduction. I expected this playthrough to be torture but it actually is easier than my first playthrough due to being able to tank more hits while late game didn't really matter due to how much damage output enemies have in general making damage reduction kind of moot.

The whole system is....weird. I even equipped Radagan's soreseal just to see if I'd get oneshot more often and it practically did nothing.

I don't understand the point of damage negation when defense (which only raises from leveling up and increasing vigor) does most of the heavy lifting. I would love to look at the code to see what it's actually doing because I'm baffled.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Please tell me you read my short guide on how to beat Mohg as a fire build because I put effort into that.

i did, and i appreciate the effort, though i ended up defaulting to two-handed stance breaking him instead. i think what i'd do in the future is just rely on oil pots and a heavy-hitter like giantsflame if i wanted to still use fire incantations, but it still feels more cumbersome compared to other elemental types just sticking frostbite on him a couple of times (especially since frost weapons with good buildup are easy to nab)

i can fully understand a playstyle that enjoys being an omnidisciplinarian that works out the right tool for the right job - i've had alchemist builds in past souls games that've done more-or-less the same thing - but i also enjoy running theme builds from time to time, and having to significantly divert from them in RPGs always makes me grumpy. i'm fine with there being challenges that are easier or harder for specific builds within a gradient, but being pushed too far in one direction can result in a lot of frustration if you want to do a run with a character that revolves around a central theme or specific gimmick

Red Mundus posted:

I don't understand the point of damage negation when defense (which only raises from leveling up and increasing vigor) does most of the heavy lifting. I would love to look at the code to see what it's actually doing because I'm baffled.

if it's using the same defense calculations as DS3 - and i haven't seen any reason to assume otherwise - the difference between AR vs. DEF tiers can create swings as large as 30% in either direction, and damage negation comes after that. it's what can create the feeling of DN not doing anything vs. DN doing a lot: light attacks from the average monster will not make your health bar more visually in an appreciable way regardless of the amount of negation you have, but you will absolutely notice it against heavier boss attacks. endure or either of the stamp skills are a really good way of seeing how much damage negation actually helps out during bosses especially

Vermain fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 28, 2022

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Red Mundus posted:

The defence from armour, talismans and buffs lets you ignore a % of specific damage types which can be seen in the status screen. If an enemy is attacking me with magic, and I’ve got only got 10% magic resist then I won’t notice much if a difference and I’ll probably die in the same number of hits, or one more if lucky.

If I’ve got 75% magic resist I can basically ignore their attacks, because whilst I may have 1500 hp on paper, against magic damage because I’m only taking one quarter the normal damage I’m essentially equivalent to someone with 0 magic resist and 6000 hp.

It’s good, as long as you use the right resistant equipment against the right enemy.

A very recent example is me going into the final boss with 75% resistance, them doing their flashy grab attack and me taking a staggering uh, about 300hp damage. Not very dangerous.

Real Cool Catfish fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 28, 2022

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I just got to Volcano Manor and some guy in the drawing room warned me that the people in charge are assholes or whatever. Is there any downside to doing quests for these guys (getting locked out of other content, etc.)?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I just got Stone of Gurranq, and wow, this spell feels super powerful for its cost. Doesn’t hurt that I’m using the Clawmark Seal with it, but still

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bold Robot posted:

I just got to Volcano Manor and some guy in the drawing room warned me that the people in charge are assholes or whatever. Is there any downside to doing quests for these guys (getting locked out of other content, etc.)?

no, go nuts

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bold Robot posted:

How do you feel about cold-blooded murder of chill dudes who only wanted to help you out?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I just got Stone of Gurranq, and wow, this spell feels super powerful for its cost. Doesn’t hurt that I’m using the Clawmark Seal with it, but still

it's pound-for-pound one of the most useful generic incantations, since it's pure physical strike damage, has a good arc + big hitbox, does absurd poise damage, and seems to do decent stagger damage to boot

its arc is also very handy for nailing larger bosses on the noggin if you're at range, which is usually their weakpoint (astel, fallingstar during the charge, etc.)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

How do you feel about cold-blooded murder of chill dudes who only wanted to help you out?

Bad. But some of them dropped cool pants.

The real fashion souls starts here.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Question about Millicents quest: i got the point where she said she was going to Castle Sol. I got there, beat the boss, and got the left half of the key to get into Haligtree. But I can’t find Millicent anywhere at the castle? Do I need to find the right half first?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Question about Millicents quest: i got the point where she said she was going to Castle Sol. I got there, beat the boss, and got the left half of the key to get into Haligtree. But I can’t find Millicent anywhere at the castle? Do I need to find the right half first?

Wrong castle

Her quest takes you to shaded castle

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
121 hours into my "kill absolutely every boss and find everything" first run.

I'm down to Placidussax and the final 3.

And it's my great honor to give out the Shittiest Boss Award.

Crystalian (Spear)! Eat poo poo in hell you motherfucker.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

The Anime Liker posted:

Crystalian (Spear)! Eat poo poo in hell you motherfucker.

Haven't confirmed myself but apparently you can parry the spear thrusts which makes it super easy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol I got the permanent invasion finger so I don't have to care about the pvp meta and just be a fun nuisance and 80% of the time the host is either already dead or at the door, and the other 20% they just randomly disconnect or become invincible before the killing blow (then disconnect)

At least it was still being a fun nuisance, I guess

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Lol I got the permanent invasion finger so I don't have to care about the pvp meta and just be a fun nuisance and 80% of the time the host is either already dead or at the door, and the other 20% they just randomly disconnect or become invincible before the killing blow (then disconnect)

At least it was still being a fun nuisance, I guess

it's a tad weird they don't have any kind of proximity sensing for fog gates, because i've had more than a few times where i get summoned for something like morgott and a red invades at the literal exact time the host is waltzing into the arena

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

question: the roundtable hold guy informed me of the "4 remaining demigods" and offered rewards based on their whereabouts. I already located Renni at Renni's Rise but he doesn't seem to acknowledge this, kind of confused as to why.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Haven't confirmed myself but apparently you can parry the spear thrusts which makes it super easy.

Yeah you can tank it or billion to one shot parry it, but 9 times out of 10 you're going to eat that first hit, stagger, and get stunlocked by that loving hop.

Easily the most aggravated I was the whole time until I figured out Blasphemous Blade will stunlock it first, and then it was easy cheese spam time.

Like, that's fair if I'm level and try to fight Mohg and get wrecked, but a cheap sub-boss that can just stunlock you with a dumb animation is by far the one I hated the most.

Also, Astel, Radahn, and the black knife outside the church in Altus were my picks for best bosses. I love a huge fight against a boss you can absolutely punish for whiffing their huge attack.

Runner up for Fire Giant, Beasty/Mal, and that one regular rear end knight that seemed impossible in Fort Haight at the very beginning.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

question: the roundtable hold guy informed me of the "4 remaining demigods" and offered rewards based on their whereabouts. I already located Renni at Renni's Rise but he doesn't seem to acknowledge this, kind of confused as to why.

ofnir tells you that ranni doesn't carry a rune, so she's effectively out of the running

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

DLC Inc posted:

He doesn't care about Ranni because she threw away her rune. He mentions it during his spiel, although honestly you'd think he'd still be interested in hearing about her. If you find the other guys he talks about you can tell him for some rewards.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Much like Dark Souls 2, Strike damage seems to clown everything. It's very handy vs crystal spear guy and the miner zombies.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

From a lore perspective, what does throwing away a rune even mean? It makes me sound like it's somewhere out there, waiting to be found, but given we don't, is it possible to destroy runes?

Cause that seems like it'd be pretty bad from the perspective of the ability to repair the Elden Ring.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao please stop making me watch people go fight Margo

At least I barfed on some of them. It even killed one finally!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

in my opinion melina has ranni's great rune but there is no evidence for this at all. but she's going to whoop my rear end with it.