Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Keep Wendy Kerby's name out of your mouth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The baseball bat is making me so uncomfortable

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Wendy Kirby is going after them like Carrie Fisher in Blues Brothers

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Well, that felt a little haphazard

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Oh no, Tim is gonna die!

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Wait, this is still running? My feed died after the dekkar songs.

Oh well, I had so many issues I'll give it a go tomorrow.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

That was bleak even by On Cinema standards.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Incredible. Just incredible.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Holy poo poo

These things are always like a slot machine madly spinning through genres but I don’t think it’s ever ended up quite like this

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Lmao. I can’t wait to find out who those guys in the truck were supposed to be.

Probably some of those loving Delgados

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

cohsae posted:

Wendy Kirby is going after them like Carrie Fisher in Blues Brothers

This was honestly my thought, too. I thought it was going to be that she had taken the shirt from Manuel.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

huh posted:

I took the day off (Australia) to watch the special live. Viva el Oscer!

Also, what happened to Vinnie and Nick from the original Dekkar line up?

hah!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

https://twitter.com/OCATCOfficial/status/1508286759473278977

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
honestly have no clue who the people in the van were, thought for sure it was Matt Newman playing tricks but there are so many things it could be, possibly even something which has nothing to do with the plot at all

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I bet Tim doesn't even own the land.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

E: ^^ also a very strong possibility

I'm assuming it's a Jackson Hole situation where Tim thinks he's a tough guy who can hang out in rural areas but he's actually way out of his element anywhere outside of LA

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

serious lol @ Tim entering fight-or-flight mode and immediately bashing in the box of video tapes

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
ohh this is where this thread is hiding.

looking forward to a rewatch in-tact. was there a gregg side stream this year hidden anywhere? qr code to his site didn't have a vid feed or anything that i could see.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Good special. I especially like Tim bringing back "Papa Kirby" as if it was some beloved character that needed representation

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

now that I'm able to rewatch the bits that lagged I think this was maybe one of the funniest they've ever done. so many great little things - like naming the Dekkar documentary "Unauthorized". amazed at all the fakeouts - really thought someone was going to pass out from dehydration (particularly one of the people in the costumes) and then die because they had no idea how to get to the hospital. lotta open plot threads for next season. I do think it's likely not an in-universe character that showed up at the end - this show generally doesn't bring back old plot threads or have anyone outcrazy Tim - he was probably right that it was some kids pranking them

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I hate to bitch and complain but the lag really threw off a lot of the jokes. I'll enjoy it more on re-watch.

I did really enjoy the 3 hour devolution of no water / no power / no protection from the elements / no lights / threats from barbarians at the gates.

e: spoilers

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 28, 2022

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Glad it's up with no lag now. Axiom's beautiful Oscar Fever brought a tear to my eye

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

yeah the lag was a total bummer, hate to bitch about it but this happened on the last Oscar special, the Valentine's special, AND the final episode of the last season, you'd think they would have this figured out by now. I mean, people plan their evenings around this poo poo - was thinking a lot about those who rented out a theater to watch it in.

that said it's definitely gonna be worth watching again, without the long breaks in between - Toni Newman bit knocked it out of the park as usual, I love how this show can suddenly get very real. seems to be confirmed now that nobody really likes being around Tim. also did I hear that right that Tim took a mysterious trip to Japan to see Ayaka? it was lagging a ton at that point so I didn't catch it.

as for the ending I thought it was pretty revealing how Tim really does see himself as a colossal gently caress up whose paranoia is mostly related to the fact that he suspects everyone is just like him

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The one thing about Toni's revelation is that it doesn't really line up with Axiom being willing to give up his hand. (Also, I felt bad for the real Axiom effectively not being able to play with the rest of the guys on camera any more, though I'm sure it's still fun to just sing on the tambourine with them.)

Definitely need to rewatch at least the beginning lag-free, but the two elements that had me laughing the most were the mascots just wandering around in the background of shots, and the laser pointers just multiplying and going crazy for the last hour.

For a "civilian" I also thought that Lee Garlington was a good guest.

Also this sounds dumb, but I haven't seen Powder of the Dog or know anything about it, but the joke is that there wasn't actually a dog in the movie, right?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Tim feeling intimacy with the dog was a highlight I didn't catch due to the lag.

There wasn't much joke to the final Dekkar performance, but I still enjoyed it for the surreal sight of a vanity project band playing to a tiny audience of paid (or non-paid) people huddling in the dark under a lovely Chili tarp.

G. Amato says you're doing this pro bono.

Tato fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 28, 2022

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

Also this sounds dumb, but I haven't seen Powder of the Dog or know anything about it, but the joke is that there wasn't actually a dog in the movie, right?
Yeah, the "dog" in the title refers to a mountain.

When they first started appearing on the show, I always got the impression that Axiom (and by extension Manuel) were conning Tim out of his money, and maybe they were but have since come around on him. I do think everyone behind the camera openly hates him, which is why when he asks for something to be turned off or for updates on Mark's health, nobody bothers to answer him

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

watching the replay and lmao @ Mark as Spiderman still doing the WC Fields voice

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Tato posted:

There wasn't much joke to the final Dekkar performance, but I still enjoyed it for the surreal site of a vanity project band playing to a tiny audience of paid (or non-paid) people huddling in the dark under a lovely Chili tarp.

I love that Tim's "Dekkar voice" is this weird cross between Dylan, Bowie, and George W. Bush.

JAMOOOL posted:

watching the replay and lmao @ Mark as Spiderman still doing the WC Fields voice

I laughed at him later trying to do Hitchcock, then going into WC Fields, and then just doing his own voice.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

I love that Tim's "Dekkar voice" is this weird cross between Dylan, Bowie, and George W. Bush.

I think there's some Steven Seagal in there too, who also seems to have partly informed his look last night

E: also I just realized that Gregg brought his box of tapes and did literally nothing with them. They were basically brought out just so Tim could smash them with a baseball bat.

Cognac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 28, 2022

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

there were a lot of really great little jokes in this - the tension of the scene made it hard to laugh at but everyone escaping a sniper in an OPEN ROOF TOUR VAN was really loving funny

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The voice he was putting on for Dekkar performance kept getting more and more intense, almost like every time he was about to break he just leaned into the voice harder. Really got me good.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I think there's some Steven Seagal in there too, who also seems to have partly informed his look last night

I thought Tim looked pretty good last night. Swole, even.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

glad I stuck it out through the lag and the delays as that ending was the funniest part. neighbors with ATVs, laser pointers, and guns harassing the special was a clever idea and I like how the skit integrated the change from daytime to nighttime

very happy for Greg that he got a new job at AMC and this will be his last special :D

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Yeah the Seagal has bled over from Decker to Dekkar it rules

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
He's done something similar before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfgMtkfgnPg

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

very happy for Greg that he got a new job at AMC and this will be his last special :D

I thought there might have actually been some truth to this - fast forward to :28 here. I don't think this is associated with AMC though

https://twitter.com/Shudder/status/1507131028959342595

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Wikipedia says Shudder is owned by AMC. I wonder if he convinced them to allow him to appear "in character".

On second viewing there are a lot of Gregg jokes that got cut off by the stream last night. I enjoyed it last night but I do hope they can figure this out for next year because they write the show so densely that really any amount of interruptions does cut into the number of jokes that land quite a bit

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What is the issue anyway, just vimeo sucking, youtube seemed mostly fine once they switched to it?

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Yeah the email they sent out today said Vimeo was the problem, since their website handled the traffic just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I'm a little bummed because I bought a ticket and streamed it yesterday, but missed a lot due to lag. I thought 30-day access to the special was part of the deal but that might be only if you did not watch the live stream because it does not let me view it again

tbh I just want to see Mark roll down the hill again