Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Skwirl posted:

The Adam West show was her first appearance, so she was popular enough in the 60s to get moved to the comics, but no idea how popular she was 20 years later.
Her first appearance in the comics came out in late November 1966, and she didn't appear on the television show until September 1967. There's some dispute about who "came up" with her, but it seems to have been a collaboration between the comics and TV creators, with the shorter lead time for comics meaning she showed up there first. She was also only in the third and final season of the show, and was apparently introduced to try to jazz up the ratings, which were dropping into cancelation territory in the second season.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Is the Superman analogue of Earth 5 still Captain Marvel or did they change his name too? I know Mary Marvel is in the Multiversity.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

One thing to keep in mind, when Alan Moore wrote Killing Joke, he did not think it would be part of the main continuity.

Is there any source on that? I've just seen that on several other sites and they never seem to have any sort of quote from Moore or someone from DC editorial at the time, it just seems to be a thing people say about Killing Joke when the subject of it and Barbara Gordon is brought up.

Beerdeer posted:

Is the Superman analogue of Earth 5 still Captain Marvel or did they change his name too? I know Mary Marvel is in the Multiversity.

It was still Captain Marvel in 2015 when Multiversity came out, but as far as I know Billy/Captain Marvel from Earth-5 conveniently hasn't appeared since then, only Mary. I suspect that now that the Captain Marvel and Shazam movies have both come out, if Earth-5 Captain Marvel shows up again, he'll also be Shazam.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 12, 2022

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

TwoPair posted:

Is there any source on that? I've just seen that on several other sites and they never seem to have any sort of quote from Moore or someone from DC editorial at the time, it just seems to be a thing people say about Killing Joke when the subject of it and Barbara Gordon is brought up.
By the time The Killing Joke came out Moore had already sworn off of working for DC/"mainstream comics" so he didn't do any press for it, and contemporary interviews have him mentioning his "Joker book" in passing.

There's a general consensus (both from 1980s and later interviews) that the genesis of the book was Brian Bolland wanting to do a Joker story, Alan Moore liking the idea of working with Brian Bolland, and Moore writing the script for what became the Killing Joke several years before it came out, and in fact before Crisis on Infinite Earths even happened, and then Bolland taking the better part of four years to finish drawing it. So any sort of questions about "in-continuity" would have been much different and/or irrelevant at the time of its writing as opposed to its post-Crisis release date.

Moore has spoken briefly several times about The Killing Joke in the past twenty years during his semi-annual "get baited into answering a bunch of questions about superhero comics he doesn't pay attention to or care about" interview tour, and has expressed regret about how dark/sexualized/violent The Killing Joke is, how he doesn't like how it's colored the Batman stories told since then, how he shouldn't have written such nasty things happening to Batgirl, but to my knowledge never said it was intended to be out of continuity, though again, that wouldn't have been a particularly serious consideration in 1984-1986 the way it was Post-Crisis.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Are there any good Spider-Man stories/runs from the last ten or so years? I’d prefer main continuity but alternate continuity is fine too

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Superior Spider-Man counts, but it sure as hell ain't a happy one. Just one that gives us an alternate look at what Peter's powers are capable of.

Spiderverse is also fun, as you get a batshit crazy story with cool alts. Too bad it's pretty grim.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I loved the hell out of Nick Spencer's run.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I liked Chip Zdarsky's run on Spectacular a lot.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Tom Taylor's Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man was good, and if Spider-Dad is your thing I enjoyed Renew Your Vows a whole bunch.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I liked "Life Story", which is an alternate take on the past 60 years of Spider-man stories.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I loved the hell out of Nick Spencer's run.

Yeah Spencer is really good up until the end when you need to jump ship big time

howe_sam posted:

Tom Taylor's Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man was good, and if Spider-Dad is your thing I enjoyed Renew Your Vows a whole bunch.

Cannot second RYV hard enough. It may be my actual favorite Spider-Man story

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 28, 2022

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

howe_sam posted:

Spider-Dad is extremely my poo poo, to the point that I think Peter should be a dad in 616 canon

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Renew Your Vows rocks. I would say it was my favourite out of all the Spider-books that were being published at that time. I cannot recommend it enough.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Spider-Man and the X-Men was an amazingly good mini series.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JordanKai posted:

Renew Your Vows rocks. I would say it was my favourite out of all the Spider-books that were being published at that time. I cannot recommend it enough.

Yeah. Gerry Conway can still go.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Okay question number 2: what’s an easy way to read Renew Your Vows that doesn’t involve buying the physical books? I’ve heard that comixology was the go to place but that it recently got pretty user unfriendly

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
How's your library?

It's a big overall cost, but I've been enjoying Marvel Unlimited. Though I'm using it to read X-Men with my friends and I may drop it once we're done as there was talk of doing random DC series.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 1, 2022

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If it's on Marvel Unlimited, just wait for one of the various $0.99 month deals they run throughout the year.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
The Wikipedia article for Armageddon 2001 says there were clues that Captain Atom was going to be Monarch before the ending was changed. The only ones I’m aware of are Waverider posing as Captain Atom in the JLA annual and the cliffhanger ending of the JLE annual. What other clues are there?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't recall any clues, just that the ending was spoiled in the solicitations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

The only clue I recall is a closeup panel of Monarch where you could see through his helmet's eyeholes, showing that he had blue eyes, like Captain Atom had in his non-metallic form. Which ended up being a dirty cheat when they changed Monarch's identity, because Hank (Hawk) Hall had brown eyes.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Okay, what is it with Marvel requiring you to email them for digital downloads of some of their books? It's a huge pain, especially since you can only do one at a time.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Selachian posted:

The only clue I recall is a closeup panel of Monarch where you could see through his helmet's eyeholes, showing that he had blue eyes, like Captain Atom had in his non-metallic form. Which ended up being a dirty cheat when they changed Monarch's identity, because Hank (Hawk) Hall had brown eyes.
Supposedly Monarch's identity got changed because spoilers leaked in a comics fanzine, but making Hank Hall into Monarch never made any loving sense. The Hawk and Dove annual during that event was the only one that showed the heroes in action after Monarch rose to power and they were fighting him and in one future timeline even unmasked and defeated him without any comment on his actual identity (yeah, it's comics, there's ways to bullshit around that but they never bothered to do so). Monarch's planning and schemes also never really fit with Hawk being a literal embodiment of Chaos magic.

Admittedly I'm a little salty about the whole thing because I really liked the Hawk and Dove ongoing series at the time (which I reread not to long ago and it still holds up well) and the Armageddon 2001 series brought it to an end while making GBS threads all over the characters in the process. All of this to preserve some twist that didn't amount to much and ultimately got undone anyway when Monarch was revised to have been a version of Captain Atom later on.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Monarch is complicated. His ID was leaked in the Advance Comics solicits which lesd to the change. Then he and Captain Atom had a follow up mini where they bounced through time. Atom showed up in JL a few years later after the Death of Superman.
Monarch was retconned into having absorbed the power of the Lord's of Order and Chaos and evolved into Extant. Extant later died in JSA.
In 1996 or so, a new Monarch appeared in Extreme Justice and was revealed to be the "original" Nathaniel Adam and that Captain Atom was a quantum duplicate. We never get closure on this Monarch.
Much later prior to Countdown, Captain Atom is encased in a copy of the Monarch armor and is for a time a villain and a major evil force during the weekly Countdown series as well as the Arena mini series. He's since returned to heroics as Captain Atom.

To this day I still think Monarch has a killer design, Jurgens knocked that out of the park. It's also the very first comic crossover set in the then future that real time overtook for me.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Monarch is complicated. His ID was leaked in the Advance Comics solicits which lesd to the change. Then he and Captain Atom had a follow up mini where they bounced through time. Atom showed up in JL a few years later after the Death of Superman.
Monarch was retconned into having absorbed the power of the Lord's of Order and Chaos and evolved into Extant. Extant later died in JSA.
In 1996 or so, a new Monarch appeared in Extreme Justice and was revealed to be the "original" Nathaniel Adam and that Captain Atom was a quantum duplicate. We never get closure on this Monarch.
Much later prior to Countdown, Captain Atom is encased in a copy of the Monarch armor and is for a time a villain and a major evil force during the weekly Countdown series as well as the Arena mini series. He's since returned to heroics as Captain Atom.

To this day I still think Monarch has a killer design, Jurgens knocked that out of the park. It's also the very first comic crossover set in the then future that real time overtook for me.

I always wondered how "everyone" knew Monarch was meant to be Captain Atom, then changed to Hawk at the last minute. It's not like most people had the Internet back then, but especially as someone who followed the crossover at the time (middle school!), it seemed like it was one of those things most people had heard about.

I always liked Monarch's design too, and wish we had gotten an action figure at some point. He was very "toyetic," as was Extant. But as a fan of Captain Atom from Justice League Europe, I was happy that he didn't turn out to be the big bad.

Also, marijuana had been legalized in the "dark, dystopian" future of 2001, and it was one of the many factors to show society's decline and general hopelessness.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, I want a good Monarch action figure now.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I always liked Monarch's design too, and wish we had gotten an action figure at some point. He was very "toyetic," as was Extant. But as a fan of Captain Atom from Justice League Europe, I was happy that he didn't turn out to be the big bad.
IIRC, part of the overall idea was always that the hero revealed to be the future Monarch would become Monarch in the present as a result of the crossover events but as a fellow Captain Atom fan I'm glad that didn't happen either. To be clear I also thought it was a cool character design and even an interesting story up to the mangled twist. That's the second part of why that particular clusterfuck bummed me out so much at the time in addition to the aforementioned collateral damage on another comic series I really liked.

Honestly, I think instead of mangling the ending like they did that the simpler fix would been to have future Monarch remain in the present as a separate character and having the person behind the mask change periodically as events in the present make changes to the future. That's already implied in the crossover itself as Waverider sees a range of very different alternate future for some characters (Superman had wildly divergent futures in each in his annuals, the Hawk and Dove annual had two or three different futures shown, etc.). Monarch could have been Nathaniel Adam in the future we first saw, but after the events of the Crossover he's now revealed to be Hank Hall at the very end leading into a follow-up mini-series. He could have been a recurring villain who operates very differently in new appearances as the person under the armor changes, sometimes trying to enact his future agenda in the present and other times trying to stops that horrific timeline from happening while being self-sabotaged from that end by the same emotional drives that made him become Monarch in the first place, etc.

Rhyno posted:

Dammit, now so do I.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Peyote Panda posted:

Dammit, now so do I.

Be careful what you wish for, now that McFarlane has the DC action figure license. You won't get it, unless you want an evil Batman-Joker-Monarch hybrid!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's wild that he never got a DCC figure.

radlum
May 13, 2013
After Higgins left, I stopped reading MMPR. Was the comic good after he left? I was meaning to go back

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

radlum posted:

After Higgins left, I stopped reading MMPR. Was the comic good after he left? I was meaning to go back

Yeah, Ryan Parrott did some great work. Go Go got away from 'daily lives of the Rangers' which I thought was a shame but it was still really good.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
I'm maybe not totally getting back into comics, but it's been uh about 17 years since I kept up with anything and realizing how much of what I loved was going out of print, I hunted out the Seven Soldiers trades, and I'm gonna order GMo's Supes Omnibus soon (I'm reading them to my baby). MY QUESTION: what've they done since then that's Can't Miss reading, and do any young writers hit that same Fourth World Mystical vibe?

I also finally got Moore's Swamp Thing full run and Sandman, having once read those illegal 6, and have the Miracleman omni preordered.

Gambit from the X-Men fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 9, 2022

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

I'm maybe not totally getting back into comics, but it's been uh about 17 years since I kept up with anything and realizing how much of what I loved was going out of print, I hunted out the Seven Soldiers trades, and I'm gonna order GMo's Supes Omnibus soon (I'm reading them to my baby). MY QUESTION: what's he done since then that's Can't Miss reading, and do any young writers hit that same Fourth World Mystical vibe?

I also finally got Moore's Swamp Thing full run and Sandman, having once read those illegal 6, and have the Miracleman omni preordered.

From there you'll want to go to Final Crisis, the Multiversity, and then their Action Comics run (unless that's the Superman omnibus). Also their entire batman run. Haven't read any of the new Green Lantern run they did but I hear good things

Closest writers to Grant would be Hickman and Ewing, but they're both quite different in their own ways

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

I'm maybe not totally getting back into comics, but it's been uh about 17 years since I kept up with anything and realizing how much of what I loved was going out of print, I hunted out the Seven Soldiers trades, and I'm gonna order GMo's Supes Omnibus soon (I'm reading them to my baby). MY QUESTION: what's he done since then that's Can't Miss reading, and do any young writers hit that same Fourth World Mystical vibe?

1) One thing you may have missed is that Morrison came out as nonbinary and uses they/them pronouns now-- this was just a few years ago but now you know.
2) Have you read their Batman stuff? It's pretty long, pretty sprawling, and almost all of it is very good. Multiversity was an incredibly fun little mini event that is almost entirely self-contained, and includes an INCREDIBLE one-shot called "Pax Americana" which is worth tracking down even on its own. Their Green Lantern was divisive but imo quite interesting, and their recent Superman and the Authority was fantastic. They also have a series of miniseries out with Boom! Studios under the Klaus umbrella, which is all about Santa Clause and is not quite what one might reflexively imagine upon hearing the phrase "Grant Morrison's Santa Clause."
3) A lot of younger writers are definitely working in the footsteps of Morrison! Al Ewing immediately comes to mind-- We Only Find Them When They're Dead is a great starting point for his creator owned stuff, Immortal Hulk for his Big Two work.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

Opopanax posted:

From there you'll want to go to Final Crisis, the Multiversity, and then their Action Comics run (unless that's the Superman omnibus). Also their entire batman run. Haven't read any of the new Green Lantern run they did but I hear good things

Closest writers to Grant would be Hickman and Ewing, but they're both quite different in their own ways

Cool, I've got my old singles of Final Crisis (just read the fella issue one, in fact) and Superman Beyond with the 3d glasses still intact. I've also got Multiversity, but haven't read it yet.

The Supes omni has the Action Comics run, but it looks like I'll definitely need his full Batman run. I've got the trade for RIP, but that's about when I fell out. I'll also look into the GL stuff; I wasn't usually huge on Lantern stories, but that probably owes to just not being into Geoff Johns more than anything else.

Hickman did Fantastic Four, yeah? I definitely remember enjoying that, so I'll hunt out some more of his. Ewing is totally new to me and looks pretty exciting. Any opinion on We Only Find Them...? First thing that caught my eye.

Thanks, btw!

Edit: fixed Grant's pronouns--I missed that in my absence for sure. Looks like my eyes did well spotting We Only Find Them..., and I'll definitely look into Ewing's Hulk; Peter David's run was a ton of fun when I was young!

Plus they other recs; looks like I'm set up pretty well for a bit, though I'm always down for more suggestions!

Gambit from the X-Men fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 9, 2022

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

How Wonderful! posted:

Immortal Hulk for his Big Two work.

I really do not recommend reading Immortal Hulk to your infant.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

Cornwind Evil posted:

I really do not recommend reading Immortal Hulk to your infant.

One of his first movies was Lost Highway so he's already pretty hosed tbh. Trying to get in what I can before he descends fully into the world of language and understanding and samsara and all that etc

Gambit from the X-Men fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 9, 2022

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Cool, I've got my old singles of Final Crisis (just read the fella issue one, in fact) and Superman Beyond with the 3d glasses still intact. I've also got Multiversity, but haven't read it yet.

The Supes omni has the Action Comics run, but it looks like I'll definitely need his full Batman run. I've got the trade for RIP, but that's about when I fell out. I'll also look into the GL stuff; I wasn't usually huge on Lantern stories, but that probably owes to just not being into Geoff Johns more than anything else.

Hickman did Fantastic Four, yeah? I definitely remember enjoying that, so I'll hunt out some more of his. Ewing is totally new to me and looks pretty exciting. Any opinion on We Only Find Them...? First thing that caught my eye.

Thanks, btw!

Edit: fixed Grant's pronouns--I missed that in my absence for sure. Looks like my eyes did well spotting We Only Find Them..., and I'll definitely look into Ewing's Hulk; Peter David's run was a ton of fun when I was young!

Plus they other recs; looks like I'm set up pretty well for a bit, though I'm always down for more suggestions!

Oh yeah if you stopped at Hickman’s FF you’ve got a really solid run ahead of you, Avengers/New Avengers into Secret War

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Opopanax posted:

Oh yeah if you stopped at Hickman’s FF you’ve got a really solid run ahead of you, Avengers/New Avengers into Secret War

I, personally, like those in general but felt like the Avengers titles were too long with the same plot happening over and over. Could have been shortened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Conversation in another thread made me realize that I know the basics of the story but not the actual details so, how exactly did the character of Patsy Walker go from teen comics to a superhero?