Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I don't know what a braut is but if you have a brat you don't put ketchup on it.

The onions should be grilled/sauted/pan fried, use a good mustard, and throw some sauerkraut on there. Also boil the brats in beer before you throw them on the grill which I must assume you did. A good Italian bun is what we use here but imo the smaller the bun the better. Hard buns suck. With your brats, the bun is too long. It's a very common problem. I rip off the part of the bun that goes way over the brat and trash it. You need a good mix between meat and bun.

Whew. I needed to get that out of my system.

Completely agreed that the bun was subpar, the ketchup was a travesty, and the lack of a decent mustard in the house was also noted. I used the relish to make up for a lack of a nice whole grain mustard, and TBH I was not disappointed.

But the fresh onions this time were on point, however, I will concede that having them in a grilled format would be a potential better choice for a recreation of this particular sando in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
sauteed onion and bell pepper and kielbasa and added those bowtie pastas and tossed with oil and balsalmic vinegar yum yum

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Coolnezzz posted:

Completely agreed that the bun was subpar, the ketchup was a travesty, and the lack of a decent mustard in the house was also noted. I used the relish to make up for a lack of a nice whole grain mustard, and TBH I was not disappointed.

But the fresh onions this time were on point, however, I will concede that having them in a grilled format would be a potential better choice for a recreation of this particular sando in the future.

I appreciate you doing what you could with what you had.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Not gonna lie. I'd try it. But I couldn't imagine mayo being used as a marinade because it's not acidic. So it won't actually contribute to a long soak. I use heavily acidic/salty/pungent stuff for my marinades. Obviously seasonings and olive oil and stuff go in the bag too.

Now I'm curious. Not curious enough to do it though.

Mayonnaise includes vinegar or lemon juice, and USDA standards say mayo has to have a pH between 3 and 4. I am making no claim as to the usefulness of the mayo as a for-real marinade, just pointing out that it’s not NOT acidic. Skip the maybe-marination if you want, the primary benefit was definitely the nice crust.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Noted.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Brats are best with a lot of ketchup and Mayo and a drizzle of nacho cheese.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I made burritos with ground turkey, serrano peppers, guac, sour cream, cheddar cheese, rice, bean dip.

How can I turn one of these bad boys into a chimichanga? And what the heck would I do with all the oil afterwards?

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Chicken and crispy potato tacos.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
imma make pork chops and prob roast some sprouts and maybe somethign else too, lets see if im feeling wild when i go to the market

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Homemade spaghetti bolognese

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Nachos

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Anchovy pizza and a small salad

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Seafood bao. Filling of dried shrimp, celery, mango, jalapeno, long onion, cilantro, compacted fishmeal product (fake lobster), soy sauce, fish sauce, and grated ginger chopped with a BIG OL' cleaver until kinda bitsy and pastey.

Also tried a sweet bean + powdered sesame (Goma An) filling for a few of them. It was actually pretty good but I really underestimated the amount of sugar Japanese people be using in this paste. I need to add like twice the sugar next time. Like marzipan levels of sugar.

Literally A Person fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 27, 2022

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Gnawin on some reheated prime rib bones like a goddamn animal (plus golden beets!)

Seriously, if you don't like beets give golden ones a try, they are fuckin incredible roasted (and red ones are good that way too, but still inferior)

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Tonight we are making a new Coconut Chicken recipe. I'll let you know how it goes.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Beer and maybe Dominoes at like midnight if I'm sober enough to click the button to order it.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Made sausage, chicken and shrimp jambalaya

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cheese crusted asparagus and turkey burg w/Avocado

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

baked ziti and garlic bread with some salad

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Moussaka

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
It went well. New recipe added to repertoire and I enjoyed the leftovers for lunch!

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Post the recipe

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Beef keema

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

That looks tasty as gently caress

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Ham and cheese with supplies from the local deli. A brioche bun sliced in half, 3 slices of black forest ham, 2 slices of swiss cheese. Mayo, whole grain mustard, white onions sliced thinly, dried oregano, and splashes of olive oil and red wine vinegar. It was good, but I was out of fresh lettuce and forgot the salt and pepper.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don't remember

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I had half a sandwich and salad at lunch and for some reason I'm still not hungry. I have leftover pizza.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Homemade Ragu with minced beef and spaghetti al dente. Tonight will be the same thing but reheated.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

A crispy rosti potato topped with smoked salmon, red onions, cream cheese and capers :catdrugs:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Chicken tomatillo soft tacos. Not a very good pic but was delicious

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Big Fat Barbeque Bacon Cheeseburger

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
chinese food got pepper beef and spicy garlic and ginger chicken and eggrolls with the special mustard that burns out ur sinuses so freaking good

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Having Combos. I'll probably eat the 2 day old leftover pizza tonight.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Garlic braised short ribs. Braising doesn't make for the most photogenic cooking, but this was real good

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That looks fantastic.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

i made black pepper beef stir fry, but while the recipe called for oyster sauce i didn't have any, so i used barbecue sauce instead

it kinda... worked actually??????????? too acidic though

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

EightFlyingCars posted:

i made black pepper beef stir fry, but while the recipe called for oyster sauce i didn't have any, so i used barbecue sauce instead

it kinda... worked actually??????????? too acidic though

Worcestershire would have been the preferred substitute here.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

i dunno. the oyster sauce was for, well, a sauce, and called for like a quarter cup. 1/4 cup of worcestershire sauce seems like it would have been A Lot

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

With some some soy sauce and sugar and I agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

EightFlyingCars posted:

i dunno. the oyster sauce was for, well, a sauce, and called for like a quarter cup. 1/4 cup of worcestershire sauce seems like it would have been A Lot

Oh ok.

^^^^^^- Yeah cut with some soy and you got a sauce going.