Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Chris Rock shoulda improv'd and cracked a joke about how the poo poo he's reading off the teleprompter was written by hacks instead, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

PTizzle posted:

It would've been better if Will Smith smacked whatever low-level TV writer wrote that crap joke IMO.

not because it was offensive but like how is GI Jane worth mentioning 25 years later. i guess in that way it's very appropriate for the oscars

it makes perfect sense because the only people who still care about women being bald are old and for them GI Jane is a relevant reference

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

nawilo_420 posted:

honestly, slapping someone over joking about his wife's health is the most normal, relatable, human thing that will smith has ever done in the last 20 years tbh

Yeah I can totally get it. That's not just a guy reacting badly to a joke - that's a guy snapping after decades of dealing with the same boring, hurtful comments behind closed doors. If I had to respond graciously to that sort of crack at my wife's health in front of an audience and while being watched live by millions I'd probably respond pretty badly too. (I wouldn't have hit the guy though I'd have just sunk into my seat as my soul withered).

That said, I wish Jada had been the one to smack him instead.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

just imagine. studios running campaigns not for their best performers but for their strongest fighters. now they have to put martial artists in bit parts to have a shot. cinema, saved

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

R. Guyovich posted:

just imagine. studios running campaigns not for their best performers but for their strongest fighters. now they have to put martial artists in bit parts to have a shot. cinema, saved

It's too bad they didn't start doing this about ten-fifteen years ago. Imagine how many statues Jason Statham would have taken home.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Freak things can and do happen and people do die from single hits, this post and the resharing of it are lame as heck. Justice for Judd
I'm all for people being honest about the dangers of random punches etc., but an open palm slap to the cheek really is different from a closed-fist punch to the skull imo. I think Will Smith may be an insane person, but to me it looks like he restrained himself enough that his hit could only pain and insult. Like yes he could have messed up, but I think he did exactly what he intended to do and if it were a "real" punch it would cause the kind of damage where the show would actually probably have been stopped because you don't just immediately go "oh wow that dude slapped the poo poo out of me" if they hit you in the way that can kill someone.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Crank and Crank 2 winning best picture is just something that should have happened anyway. Anyone who disagrees see if you can remember what won in 2007 and 2010 off the top of your head.

El Pipila
Dec 30, 2006
I am invincible; I have a stone on my back!
since when is alopecia a disease

Is bruce willis diseased

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

R. Guyovich posted:

Studios scrambling to cast Iko Uwais, Joe Taslim, or Tony Jaa lol.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

CPL593H posted:

It's too bad they didn't start doing this about ten-fifteen years ago. Imagine how many statues Jason Statham would have taken home.

Statham is a real life rear end in a top hat and would have gotten his rear end kicked by actual martial artists. So what I’m saying is this is a great idea.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LionArcher posted:

Statham is a real life rear end in a top hat and would have gotten his rear end kicked by actual martial artists. So what I’m saying is this is a great idea.

Having martial artists and MMA bros is cheating. Just typical celebrities whose training consists entirely of poo poo they learned for a couple fight scenes over the years is what would make it interesting.

Anyway the only pure souls in the entertainment industry are Keanu Reeves and Weird Al Yankovic.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ricky Gervais would’ve had one helluva night a few years back if all of Hollywood did a Will Smith on his rear end.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BigglesSWE posted:

Ricky Gervais would’ve had one helluva night a few years back if all of Hollywood did a Will Smith on his rear end.

It would've been like that bit in Fight Club. Gervais on the ground, covered in blood, teeth missing, laughing hysterically screaming "DID I OFFEND YOU?!"

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I was thinking about it and I realized that I've never found Chris Rock funny and can't remember ever laughing at one of his jokes. So this whole thing is pretty on brand.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Freak things can and do happen and people do die from single hits, this post and the resharing of it are lame as heck. Justice for Judd

Oh I missed this, but Judd Apatow sucks. Someone should slap him too.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'm going to be 100% honest and say that I think that this whole thing is kind of funny because Will Smith has a 20 year backlog of terrible Oscar bait movies and when he finally won the award for one all anyone will remember is that he lost his poo poo and bitch slapped a hack comedian in front of millions of people over a Jay Leno-level lame joke.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I didn't catch the event, but from the clips I saw I thought it was just a bit until I saw the full context.

The internet's having a field day with the jokes, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e17V7wYBMgc

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

teagone posted:

Alright let's clear the air here lmao. Should Will Smith have slapped Chris Rock? No, he shouldn't have done that. Smith even acknowledges this in his best actor speech. BUT, do I think the slap was unwarranted or unresonable? No, I don't believe it was. I say this based on Will Smith's present/past circumstances and just having general empathy because gently caress man, jokes can cut deep sometimes and it can be hard to deal with, especially if you've got some internal battling going on. So I get why he did what he did.
It's still assault. And the only reason Will Smith is going to get away with is because he's Will Smith.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Alhazred posted:

It's still assault. And the only reason Will Smith is going to get away with is because he's Will Smith.

"its assault" lmao. you forgot to say that he could've killed him op

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Alhazred posted:

It's still assault.

Send Will Smith to jail then I guess, whatever. Lol legal system.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

nawilo_420 posted:

"its assault" lmao. you forgot to say that he could've killed him op

It’s actually a stunt because wills practicing for one punch man the movie.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

El Pipila posted:

Is bruce willis diseased

yesx2

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

CPL593H posted:

I'm going to be 100% honest and say that I think that this whole thing is kind of funny because Will Smith has a 20 year backlog of terrible Oscar bait movies and when he finally won the award for one all anyone will remember is that he lost his poo poo and bitch slapped a hack comedian in front of millions of people over a Jay Leno-level lame joke.

Yeah I need to make this clear: I think the whole thing is ripe for comedy. I also think Will Smith was an idiot for doing what he did tho. Yet he did it, so the memes shall flow.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
My local ABC station had an ad about showing a different school doing the pledge of allegiance every day, will smith can loving take it for once

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

whos that broooown posted:

My local ABC station had an ad about showing a different school doing the pledge of allegiance every day, will smith can loving take it for once

I see ads for that kind of thing and I can't picture the person who actually tunes in for that. It feels like a joke from Check It Out!.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Will Smith did the slap to defend Demi Moore's honor.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Is GI Jane a good movie? Never seen it and I like some of Ridley's more divisive movies i.e. the counselor, Prometheus etc

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
credit to chris rock, he's a wee man and will smith is a giant and he wouldn't have known as he was walking up to him that it was going to be an aggressive slap and not a flat out haymaker, took it quite well i thought

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
it was just a joke bro!!!!!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

El Pipila posted:

Is bruce willis diseased

Alopecia is just a term for hair loss.

Yes it can be caused by an actual disease.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

surf rock posted:

Hahahaha I missed this in the moment: https://twitter.com/nicjbae/status/1508278674595983368

Poor Kevin Costner

She loving sucks dude. And her movie was rear end too

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Ok white people are never going to understand why the will smith slap was legendary.

Alhazred posted:

Man shut the gently caress up Lmao

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016
It was an enjoyable slap, probably the best thing Smith has done in about two decades. I also enjoyed his insane weird speech where he calls himself a river prophet. However it's true that any other mug like you and I would get thrown out for slapping someone at an event, yet Will Smith gets to stick around because he's rich and famous

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Ok white people are never going to understand why the will smith slap was legendary.

Man shut the gently caress up Lmao

If a dude that pressed charges for any *equal* slapping him (its different when it's like a boss or someone with a power dynamic over you where you cant really respond in any way), he's going to get laughed out of pretty much everywhere he ever goes from that point on. A man to man slap is pretty much the biggest insult you can give and isn't the same as a punch, which some people are making out to be.

Yeah technically technically assault, but I would never in a billion years even think to press charges or whatever if a peer open handed slapped me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

If i can weigh in on something nobody cares about:

I went to see the slate of Oscar nominees for Best Animated Short last night. Four of them were good-to-great and the fifth was one of the shittiest things I’ve ever seen. You get one guess as to which one won the Oscar.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
drat, Apple must have laid down some serious cheddar

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Will Smith is a weenie baby and Christ Rock made two movies expressing how he's scared he's not funny anymore. The people saying the slap was the most righteous act imaginable are dumb cops and the people calling for charges to be brought are also dumb cops. Haven't watched the Oscars for 3 year and my life's so much better~

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

It was a tame joke and Smith clearly has thin skin and anger issues.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I wish this happened in the Superhero Movie, Meet the Spartans et Al era. We would have gotten a great riff on this Next year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Crows Turn Off posted:

It was a tame joke and Smith clearly has thin skin and anger issues.

Nah.