Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's a 1980s action movie. Did you even click the link?

Yes. Is the name of the move some existing thing/reference, or did they make it up? 'Coz I think it's a dumb name for aluminum falcons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Xakura posted:

Yes. Is the name of the move some existing thing/reference, or did they make it up? 'Coz I think it's a dumb name for aluminum falcons.

https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/3ohovh/what_the_hells_an_aluminum_falcon/

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Xakura posted:

It's just a name that sounds cool and tough and actiony. There's no greater symbolism involved.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Xakura posted:

Is "Iron Eagle" some existing thing? "Iron" is a pretty bad name/metal for anything aircraft, and, well, it's not an eagle.

Ironygle

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

It's just a name that sounds cool and tough and actiony. There's no greater symbolism involved.

The symbolism is MURICA

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Actually it sounds BADASS

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I can't decide if I should :vince: or :negative: myself for that. Probably both.

I have to remind myself that things like Iron Eagle predate a huge portion of internet users. Many of whom would have no reason to watch it since more than three channels exist and there are multitudes of ways to entertain yourself other than with B movies.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I think the only movie from the Iron Eagle series that I ever watched was the utterly ludicrous third one. Even my nine or ten year old mind thought that movie was bullshit.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Murgos posted:

I have to remind myself that things like Iron Eagle predate a huge portion of internet users. Many of whom would have no reason to watch it since more than three channels exist and there are multitudes of ways to entertain yourself other than with B movies.

Ukraine: Keep your PENAID in your Pantsir - We know Azov are nazis thx: ITT we find out how old everyone is!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The day I heard Nirvana on the classic rock station all the color left my hair, my back started hurting, and I became very interested in lawn care.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Just wait until you find out about the use of lead in lighter than air craft. But is it even considered metal? I'd say more heavy folk

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The working title for the script was 'Titanium Turkey' but that didn't do well with the test audience

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Soul Dentist posted:

Just wait until you find out about the use of lead in lighter than air craft. But is it even considered metal? I'd say more heavy folk

And Depleted Uranium.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I've only seen about the first and the last 20 minutes of Iron Eagle on two separate occasions and my God, that couldn't be a more 1980s movie if they tried.

I seem to remember Iron Eagle II being as alright as it could be, complete with Kick-rear end theme song.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

CBJSprague24 posted:

I've only seen about the first and the last 20 minutes of Iron Eagle on two separate occasions and my God, that couldn't be a more 1980s movie if they tried.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Not displaying Commando or Invasion USA.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lee Van Cleef was the original American Ninja :colbert:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

And Depleted Uranium.

It's a Led Zeppelin joke, since we're feeling old

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://citationsneeded.medium.com/episode-113-hollywood-and-anti-muslim-racism-part-i-action-and-adventure-schlock-74d3c7ec69a6

Cannon Group was a CIA funded propaganda mill, but I'm still not sure how Breakin' 2 fits into that operation.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shame on an IGA posted:

https://citationsneeded.medium.com/episode-113-hollywood-and-anti-muslim-racism-part-i-action-and-adventure-schlock-74d3c7ec69a6

Cannon Group was a CIA funded propaganda mill, but I'm still not sure how Breakin' 2 fits into that operation.

Well it turned out to be better than red scorpion (A video label I’ve done some work with actually interviewed Jack Abramoff for their BD release.

Honestly funding Cannon films be the best use of my tax dollars ever.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

CommieGIR posted:

Lee Van Cleef was the original American Ninja :colbert:

I loved that show as a kid. I also had horrible taste as a child.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

In the 80s an 18 year old West German flew into Moscow and landed near Red Square and got the Soviet Minister of Defense fired

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathias_Rust

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’ve never watched Iron Eagle and I imagine it’s probably not something you can enjoy in your 30s unless you’re a simpleton.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

In the 80s an 18 year old West German flew into Moscow and landed near Red Square and got the Soviet Minister of Defense fired

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathias_Rust
Later life:
While doing his obligatory community service (Zivildienst) in a West German hospital in 1989, Rust stabbed a female co-worker who had rejected him. The victim barely survived. He was convicted of injuring her and sentenced to two and a half years in prison, but was released after 15 months.[15] Since then he has lived a fragmented life, describing himself as a "bit of an oddball".[16] After being released from court, he converted to Hinduism in 1996 to become engaged to a daughter of an Indian tea merchant.[17] In 2001, he was convicted of stealing a cashmere pullover and ordered to pay a fine of DM10,000, which was later reduced to DM600.[8][15] A further brush with the law came in 2005, when he was convicted of fraud and had to pay a €1,500 fine.[15] In 2009 Rust described himself as a professional poker player.[18] Most recently, in 2012, he described himself as an analyst at a Zurich-based investment bank.[16]

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Raged posted:

I loved that show as a kid. I also had horrible taste as a child.

The MST3k treatment was great. Its funny to think that Van Patten went one to be a phenomenal director (did multiple award winning Sopranos episodes, plus some work on Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire). Wonder if he still has the van and the hamster.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Casimir Radon posted:

I’ve never watched Iron Eagle and I imagine it’s probably not something you can enjoy in your 30s unless you’re a simpleton.

As a piece of 80s Americana it is absolutely worth studying at an over-analytical grad-class level

:coolfish:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Not displaying Commando or Invasion USA.

Commando is timeless. Invasion USA, ehhh, it's Chuck Norris, and I couldn't even take him seriously in the 90s. Does he still sell that exercise machine or did he get wheeled off to a texan nursing home already?

There are 4 Iron Eagle movies. There are 5 American Ninjas. Then there were a bunch of ninja movies throughout the 90s aimed at kids.

Also we're all forgetting Red Dawn so we all deserve to be invaded by cuban rebels in the Rockies.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

shame on an IGA posted:

They weren't CIA funded and your link doesn't even claim they were. Cannon didn't have to be CIA funded to portray Arabs in a bad light since its bosses were both Israeli.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Commando is timeless. Invasion USA, ehhh, it's Chuck Norris, and I couldn't even take him seriously in the 90s. Does he still sell that exercise machine or did he get wheeled off to a texan nursing home already?

There are 4 Iron Eagle movies. There are 5 American Ninjas. Then there were a bunch of ninja movies throughout the 90s aimed at kids.

Also we're all forgetting Red Dawn so we all deserve to be invaded by cuban rebels in the Rockies.

I will say this invasion USA and Delta Force have a special place in my heart. When I got the chickenpox and my dad did too (his mom had told my mom that he had already had it years ago and he thought he had but either as a really mild case or something else) he let me watch those two movies on loop basically and he was not a fan of either. I even have the novelization of invasion USA I picked up for two bucks. It was written by some guy I think also did some long rear end pop series called the survivalist.

Invasion USA has a lot to recommend even beyond Chuck Norris. First off Richard Lynch is insane. He shoots Billy Drago in the dick multiple times… Being able to blow up all those real house is because they were already been by to expand a airport near Atlanta and were being destroyed anyway. Let’s not forget the amazing final battle too. Seriously I could go on this for probably longer than the movie itself. Oh it also has one of the three elementals from Big Trouble in Little China as one of the bad guys. Also a good score by Jay Chattaway (composer of varied titles like Maniac and ST:TNG.

Yep…I’m a dork.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Casimir Radon posted:

It was 1980s military schlock. Not a great movie, but it was fun at the time. Teenaged son of a pilot wants to get revenge on his father's capture and arranges an attack on I think Libya. Steals an F16 and tricks the military into giving him midair refueling and ordinance.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Cimber posted:

It was 1980s military schlock. Not a great movie, but it was fun at the time. Teenaged son of a pilot wants to get revenge on his father's capture and arranges an attack on I think Libya. Steals an F16 and tricks the military into giving him midair refueling and ordinance.

Midair ordinance sounds pretty dicey.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Hardpoint to hardpoint.

Gives a whole new meaning to docking

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

They weren't CIA funded and your link doesn't even claim they were. Cannon didn't have to be CIA funded to portray Arabs in a bad light since its bosses were both Israeli.

Who funded the Israelis?
Just asking questions maaaaaan.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
It is incredibly telling that the war is going so bad for Russia that this is what we're discussing in the Ukraine invasion thread.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

VictualSquid posted:

Later life:
While doing his obligatory community service (Zivildienst) in a West German hospital in 1989, Rust stabbed a female co-worker who had rejected him. The victim barely survived. He was convicted of injuring her and sentenced to two and a half years in prison, but was released after 15 months.[15] Since then he has lived a fragmented life, describing himself as a "bit of an oddball".[16] After being released from court, he converted to Hinduism in 1996 to become engaged to a daughter of an Indian tea merchant.[17] In 2001, he was convicted of stealing a cashmere pullover and ordered to pay a fine of DM10,000, which was later reduced to DM600.[8][15] A further brush with the law came in 2005, when he was convicted of fraud and had to pay a €1,500 fine.[15] In 2009 Rust described himself as a professional poker player.[18] Most recently, in 2012, he described himself as an analyst at a Zurich-based investment bank.[16]

This guy and the nuclear boy scout both did pretty cool things as kids but then turned out to be kind of pieces of poo poo as adults.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Arcella posted:

This guy and the nuclear boy scout both did pretty cool things as kids but then turned out to be kind of pieces of poo poo as adults.

I mean, neither making a homemade nuclear reactor nor flying a plane into Red Square indicate good risk-assessment patterns.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Joke Miriam posted:

making a homemade nuclear reactor, flying a plane into Red Square

Time to combine the two projects?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Oh yeah I listened to that episode a while back, one of the big ones that stood out was True Lies. Arnold and James Cameron at their peak, spectacular actions scenes especially with the harriers, but the villain and his organization of "Crimson Jihad" hasn't aged well. Combined with how Eliza Dushku was being abused on set haven't felt the need to go back and rewatch anytime soon.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It took me far too long to realize the guy who played the major in Red Dawn was the evil cowboy in Tombstone and also Gorilla Grodd.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Soul Dentist posted:

Time to combine the two projects?

Alright, back to the 1950's with you, Time-Displaced SAC Officer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh yeah I listened to that episode a while back, one of the big ones that stood out was True Lies. Arnold and James Cameron at their peak, spectacular actions scenes especially with the harriers, but the villain and his organization of "Crimson Jihad" hasn't aged well. Combined with how Eliza Dushku was being abused on set haven't felt the need to go back and rewatch anytime soon.

It took me far too long to realize the guy who played the major in Red Dawn was the evil cowboy in Tombstone and also Gorilla Grodd.

Let’s not forget Superfly played the Cuban military officer. Actually it’s a really well made, and we’ll casted film. It’s just the kids are annoying and I don’t care about them. I prefer Invasion USA, despite my love of John Milius stuff.