Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

There were wrestling references abound since like 75% of our group regularly watches AEW lol

Also if anyone wants to know the nuts and bolts of the action

Level 9 Way of the Ascendant Dragon Tabaxi Monk. 45 base speed, Feline Agility to make it 90, Step of the Wind to make it 180 and give me flying. I had her grappled and flew 90 feet straight up, then 90 feet straight down.

I've been waiting a while for the opportunity to do something really stupid with movement and was very happy an opportunity finally arose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

D34THROW posted:

Did you try MH because of Apocalypse World? Both of those have always interested me.. The 'messy lives of teenage monsters' makes me giggle and I'm really curious what you thought of Monsterhearts. They're both a devilishly simple system and I love the concept of strings.

Honestly the group mostly disliked systems with combat initiative, and we were all very big fans of fiction-first PbtA stuff, to the point of playing it almost exclusively (including Apoc World (a few times), Monsterhearts, Monster of the Week, Urban Shadows, Sprawl, Thirsty Sword Lesbians, Vacuum (my space homebrew), plus a few sessions of Pigsmoke, Night Witches, and I'm sure some I'm forgetting). Monsterhearts is often talked of fondly, so we decided to give it a go at some point a few years in when looking for something fun to do. I will say though, that, like Thirsty Sword Lesbians, it's a game more about messy emotions than combat. It's the sort of game I would hesitate to play with a pick-up group, because there are edges and angles that can get an X-card pretty quickly. I prefer to play those sorts of games with people I trust. :shrug: It was really fun and dark and interesting, though. I'd play it again with the right group.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't have a cool story or anything to go with it but today I got to do a 90 ft piledriver to a Hag

BUT DID YOU SPIN?

...asking for a friend.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Grey Hunter posted:

My group and I had one of those off the wall world building moments last night.

It's a campaign world we built together using a simple map game called Mappa Imperia and the history fleshed out with Microscope, and one of the background character who came up is a necromancer known as the Golden Lich - who is out to conquer the world economically rather than force of arms.

The party just hit level 2 with a huge pile of cash - wagon loads of copper, silver, gold and jewelry after they took out a Troll chieftain who was trying to set himself up as a tax collector. Of course, they don't want to (literally) cart this around with them everywhere.
So the question comes up - are there banks?
Of course they are, and of course the Golden lich would staff them with undead.
So they visit the bank in the nearest city, speak with the skeleton behind the desk, open their account and get their.... debit cards.

Now, I was on a bit of a roll at this point, and wanted something unique and creepy/comical to keep the theme up - so each player got a bag, inside the bag was a shrunken head of someone who defaulted on their loans to the bank, and now is cursed to spend eternity as the undead equivalent of a bank card/banking app. It can tell anyone the balance in the account, and transfer money between other bank accounts.
I even went on to say, as the bank wants all its customers to have a good amount of money to open an account, these shrunken heads are something of a status symbol, worn in prominent places to tell people "I am a person of status."

As they leave the bank, they see a sign "Default on your loans, lose your bones."

At which point one of the players says "You know, we've faced demons, pirates and a whole village of ogres, but this bank is the thing that scares me the most."

Job done I say.

I went and made myself some art from this...

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

IcePhoenix posted:

There were wrestling references abound since like 75% of our group regularly watches AEW lol

Is this a good time to say my next PC is going to be a goblin/hobgoblin Monk based entirely on PAC?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

CobiWann posted:

Is this a good time to say my next PC is going to be a goblin/hobgoblin Monk based entirely on PAC?

It's always a good time to talk about PAC tbqh

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

British accent, two luchador henchmen, always oddly moist.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

rndmnmbr posted:

two luchador henchmen

Hi Andrade, love your work

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

rndmnmbr posted:

British accent, two luchador henchmen, always oddly moist.

If I can convince my friend to play a Bard to be my hype man...

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
According to my DM, you can’t use the word ”ejaculate” with the Command spell.

It happened in his old college game. The target was stunned for one round before the word was banned.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

CobiWann posted:

It happened in his old college game. The target was stunned for one round before the word was banned.

...er... why didn't they just suddenly shout at you?

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I was always a fan of “Regurgitate” for those situations. Particularly in social settings.

In front of the king.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

CobiWann posted:

What if you add a somatic component of *jerk off motion*?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

FreshFeesh posted:

I was always a fan of “Regurgitate” for those situations. Particularly in social settings.

That’s actually how the conversation came up yesterday - a character got swallowed by a behir and the Bard of the Glamour college told it “vomit.”

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
The party bard took their first combat turn to use their Horn of Valhalla, creating frenzied berserkers to fight for their side. The cleric used Spiritual Weapon, the Ranger Summon Fey, and the druid Giant Insect, all before the bard topped things off with a toot on his Pipes of the Sewers.

All in all they added 17 additional combatants to what was already a harried and well-attended combat taking place inside a palatial theatre (mid-performance, of course). Even zipping through most of the NPC on NPC violence the battle took the entirety of the session.

At least the players said they all had a blast, but whew that was a lot of logistics for me to track, even with a virtual table-top.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

FreshFeesh posted:

The party bard took their first combat turn to use their Horn of Valhalla, creating frenzied berserkers to fight for their side. The cleric used Spiritual Weapon, the Ranger Summon Fey, and the druid Giant Insect, all before the bard topped things off with a toot on his Pipes of the Sewers.

All in all they added 17 additional combatants to what was already a harried and well-attended combat taking place inside a palatial theatre (mid-performance, of course). Even zipping through most of the NPC on NPC violence the battle took the entirety of the session.

At least the players said they all had a blast, but whew that was a lot of logistics for me to track, even with a virtual table-top.

My bard in Dungeon of the Mad Mage had an opportunity to take Animate Objects but I passed it up in favor of Legend Lore. The latter is more thematic for the character, but mostly I didn't want to flood the battlefield with a dozen tiny combatants, even if it is tactically advantageous to do so. It seemed like a lot of logistical work for both me and the DM, and since I usually run games I am always conscious of things that put more work on the DM.

Besides, Legend Lore worked out great. Its first use ahead of an encounter with a blue dragon revealed that the dragon was good so we avoided the tragic mistake of kicking in the door and attacking immediately.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

FreshFeesh posted:

Props to you for being able to handle it! I can see how harried my DM can get when we start pulling out Spiritual Weapons and Summon Undeads.

I have to add further props to my DM - this past weekend we were going up against a merchant family of sharkweres who were smart enough to run away when the tide turned against them. They went running to Daddy, whose biggest complaint was that we killed their giant pet shark and asked that we keep their lineage secret.

Which ended up working in our favor, since it turns out we kind of/sort of brought the kopru and the gemstone dragons from our time on the Isle of Dread back with us, and the kopru are building a temple at the bottom of this huge inland sea...

Yeah, turns out our DM sent us to the Isle of Dread so he had a lore-friendly reason to introduce gemstone dragons to Tanicus.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tonight our four UN agents working for the newly founded X-COM Global Investigation Bureau tazed a weird fish person in the Louisiana Bayou, got attacked by a shark wizard that turned to non-newtonian goo after they took it down, and dragged the wounded fishman to an aquarium and convinced the staff to let them try to use it to study the thing before discovering tazing it had given it a stroke and it was dying (alien dies because no containment facility).

They're as confused as those poor aquarium staff, really.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Night10194 posted:

They're as confused as those poor aquarium staff, really.

Hell of a new exhibit though, even if it doesn't kick much

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Night10194 posted:

turned to non-newtonian goo

As opposed to newtonian goo?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

CobiWann posted:

As opposed to newtonian goo?

Like a non-newtonian fluid, the weird gunk you get that lets people run across it and stuff.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
According to my DM, if it’s good, it’s a church. If it’s evil, it’s a cult. If it’s neutral, it’s a commune.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Here starts the PULP FATE SAGA! Enjoy...
The Park-North Snipe Hunt!
“You don’t have a piece,” laughed the gangster, “And now you won’t see your 14th birthday.”
“Bang,” said Devika, pointing a finger gun. Kulfi obliged from a block away. The mook wouldn’t see the sunrise.

Had the second session of a semi-regular Fate game. We play a collection of pulp gentlemen thieves, grabbing & nabbing in 1930s New York. And an errant detail changed the course of the entire session.

The session started with us trying to steal the Doomsday Clock, a pastiche of the Antikythera mechanism. Someone beat us to the punch, so we were forced to investigate…which led us to the local Syndicate.

While looting a safe in a mafia speakeasy, I decided to forge a note, taking credit, signed “the Gray Gargoyle”. Who’s that? Well, it’s a costumed adventurer who smashes crime, especially art crime! Total rear end-pull, but it fit the setting.

We didn’t think much more about it, until our adventures lead us to an upstate airfield, where mafiosos were trying to smuggle the Clock out of the country.

I spent a fate point to declare that they were already being stopped… by the Gray Gargoyle! Yes, he dove off the air control tower and with his Gliding Cape, intercepted the plane!

We rescued him from airfield security, but we had a plan.

Since we were gentlemen, it wouldn’t make sense to just kill the guy and take the artifact. After all, that’s not thievery, that’s mugging. So we engineered a plan where we gathered the mob boss who was after the artifact, killed him with a sniper rifle, and escaped in the confusion. (That's where we got the quote from the grabber-line, up there in italics.) Unfortunately, the gargoyle didn’t take the bait and get himself killed in the fracas, instead watching our escape from the valet stand.

So our series' recurring villain came out of a cheeky stunt.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 30, 2024

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

CobiWann posted:

According to my DM, if it’s good, it’s a church. If it’s evil, it’s a cult. If it’s neutral, it’s a commune.

What's a Tory party conference, then?

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

JustJeff88 posted:

What's the level past Evil?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

JustJeff88 posted:

A house party

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

JustJeff88 posted:

Is there a realm so evil, not even the Abyss or the Nine Hells want anything to do with it?

Swindon isn't an answer.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

A conservative party conference of any kind is a demiplane adjacent to the Nine Hells, closer to Acheron if there's enough chickenhawks.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

If you are putting you dick in a dead pig at any point, you're in some serious cult vibe.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Railing Kill posted:

If you are putting you dick in a dead pig at any point, you're in some serious cult vibe.

So all frats are cults?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Kavak posted:

So all frats are cults?

No, some are political parties.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Kavak posted:

So all frats are cults?

Yes

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

CobiWann posted:

Is there a realm so evil, not even the Abyss or the Nine Hells want anything to do with it?

Swindon isn't an answer.

Is a Labour party conference a sort of hell-adjacent purgatory where they eternally threaten you with an even worse hell if you mention anything about material equality, democracy in the workplace or utilitarian economics?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

JustJeff88 posted:

Is a Labour party conference a sort of hell-adjacent purgatory where they eternally threaten you with an even worse hell if you mention anything about material equality, democracy in the workplace or utilitarian economics?

Both Labour and the Tories want Mechanus.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Modrons deserve to be associated with better things than British politics.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Kavak posted:

Modrons deserve to be associated with better things than British politics.

My DM created a Warlock subclass called the Ordered One, where the warlock draws their powers from a place like Arcadia/Mechanus/Acheron. I was tempted to take it solely because you can get a Modron as a familiar.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

CobiWann posted:

My DM created a Warlock subclass called the Ordered One, where the warlock draws their powers from a place like Arcadia/Mechanus/Acheron. I was tempted to take it solely because you can get a Modron as a familiar.

My chaotic good bard has created a side quest for herself in Undermountain to free a programmed Modron from Halaster's control. I just want a lil' robit pal. :allears:

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

Had the second session of a semi regular Fate game. We play a collection of pulp gentlemen thieves, grabbing & nabbing in 1930s New York.

I have never been more jealous of a TRPG play post in my life.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
According to my DM, they're the Githyanki in the corridor, not the Giths in the Hall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
What about Thri-Kreen's in the Hall?