Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

stev posted:

That said, I wish Jada had been the one to smack him instead.

That's what I was thinking! With the slap and then the acceptance speech, it's all about Will. If Jada wants help she'll ask for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
One of the worst things to ever happen to culture was when we started letting comedians believe they're important. If they want to whine about how their careers are so dangerous and they're so oppressed I say we let them prove it.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Gorn Myson posted:

Has the two-time Oscar winning director Zack Snyder offered any comments on the slap?

I believe he suggested a neck snapping was more appropriate and laments he was not able to direct the Oscars

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Timeless Appeal posted:

She got robbed for cinematography and Power of Dog's only real competition should have been West Side Story and Drive My Car.

Also it was a fine burn.

Yeah this is also a pretty typical Campion response if you ever listen to her other speeches and commentaries. She jokes a lot about herself and others and is generally not too serious.

But gotta be careful in this post slap world.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

this kid is nuts posted:

The fact remains that regular schmos like you and I would get thrown out of an event for starting a physical altercation. Not Saint Will though, oh no. It was okay for him to do it because his feelings were hurt ;_;

Smith not getting kicked out at such a high class affair makes it even better. He punked another man on the world stage for disrespecting his wife, and shortly afterwards picked up one of the most prestigious prizes of the event. Legendary.

To go back a bit, a valid logical inference of 'white people won't understand the slap' isn't 'black culture is just more violent than white culture'.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

If it wasn't for the slap the Oscars probably would have been canceled next year after this year's trainwreck, so on the whole I must decide against Will Smith.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

One of the worst things to ever happen to culture was when we started letting comedians believe they're important. If they want to whine about how their careers are so dangerous and they're so oppressed I say we let them prove it.

Yeah, the boomer comedian attitude of "I'm this untouchable perfect jester poking holes in the society! how dare you stop me!" needs to end. Poke all you want, but prepare for that status to end when you get out of touch.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Let’s be fair…who hasn’t wanted to slap Chris Rock at one time or another? I’m surprised it wasn’t Ricky Gervais. But at least Gary Shandling tore Ricky apart in the best way and beat him at his own game.

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016

KVeezy3 posted:

Smith not getting kicked out at such a high class affair makes it even better. He punked another man on the world stage for disrespecting his wife, and shortly afterwards picked up one of the most prestigious prizes of the event. Legendary.

To go back a bit, a valid logical inference of 'white people won't understand the slap' isn't 'black culture is just more violent than white culture'.

It was a good slap yeah, maybe he would have looked cool if he wasn't sobbing and clearly an emotional wreck afterwards. All in all the whole thing just made him look weak and emotionally volatile

Yeah maybe that was an unfair inference, probably the same way making a massive generalisation about people might be unfair

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Gatts posted:

Let’s be fair…who hasn’t wanted to slap Chris Rock at one time or another? I’m surprised it wasn’t Ricky Gervais. But at least Gary Shandling tore Ricky apart in the best way and beat him at his own game.

They called it everybody hates Chris for a reason

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

this kid is nuts posted:

It was a good slap yeah, maybe he would have looked cool if he wasn't sobbing and clearly an emotional wreck afterwards. All in all the whole thing just made him look weak and emotionally volatile

Yeah maybe that was an unfair inference, probably the same way making a massive generalisation about people might be unfair

Bro are you white you never answered

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016
Still waiting.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Its funny because the joke was completely lame and would have passed by totally unnoticed otherwise but I've already seen a half dozen Jada bald jokes this morning and I just woke up

But it also pours on a lot of attention so in the mind of permanently brain broken rich person who knows if that's good or bad

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

If i can weigh in on something nobody cares about :

I went to see the slate of Oscar nominees for Best Animated Short last night. Four of them were good-to-great and the fifth was one of the shittiest things I’ve ever seen. You get one guess as to which one won the Oscar.

:yossame: the Windshield Wiper was far and away the worst of the animated shorts this year.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

Its funny because the joke was completely lame and would have passed by totally unnoticed otherwise but I've already seen a half dozen Jada bald jokes this morning and I just woke up

But it also pours on a lot of attention so in the mind of permanently brain broken rich person who knows if that's good or bad

*will, excitedly* drat babe the engagement metrics are off the charts today

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Just gonna paperbag test myself on the internet to comment on a 50 year old man slapping another 50 year old man.

Posters just don't understand

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I went to see the slate of Oscar nominees for Best Animated Short last night. Four of them were good-to-great and the fifth was one of the shittiest things I’ve ever seen. You get one guess as to which one won the Oscar.

I was surprised how good the shorts were this year. The Animated slate was better than the live action one, but there was only one complete stinker in each category. Naturally, the stinker won for Animated.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Encanto wasn’t bad but it was pretty bland. I thought Luca for one was a lot more fun and interesting.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

PTizzle posted:

It would've been better if Will Smith smacked whatever low-level TV writer wrote that crap joke IMO.

not because it was offensive but like how is GI Jane worth mentioning 25 years later. i guess in that way it's very appropriate for the oscars

I feel like this part isn't being talked about enough. It was a really lovely joke. Even Chris Rock admitted it right after the slap.

Is it a guarantee Rock didn't write it? I thought they only used the lovely writers for non-comedians, and comedians wanted to do their own thing? But I'm not sure what I'm basing this on, so I may have made it up.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 28, 2022

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
On the other hand Chris probably has enough material for half a set

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Gatts posted:

Ricky Gervais seems like he'd actually press charges.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I didn't watch the ceremony so I'm catching up but this Oscars feels like a non-event without the slap. Pretty sure there were no upsets whatsoever besides Army of the Dead winning something :lol:

It's wild that Will Smith was still in the building to make an acceptance speech after slapping a man on live international TV. If you told me 24 hours ago Amy Schumer wasn't the comedian attracting discourse I wouldn't believe you.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

BigglesSWE posted:

Encanto wasn’t bad but it was pretty bland. I thought Luca for one was a lot more fun and interesting.

Luca was so much more entertaining. I truly do not get the hype for Encanto and all the worship of it's songs. They all fell flat and were, to me, forgettable. Their last good one to me was Moana and those songs are all incredible and hummable to this day. I didn't watch the Lord and Miller movie yet though so we'll see.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

i say swears online posted:

*will, excitedly* drat babe the engagement metrics are off the charts today

some version of this convo def happened with one or both of their publicists, 100%

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Vintersorg posted:

Luca was so much more entertaining. I truly do not get the hype for Encanto and all the worship of it's songs. They all fell flat and were, to me, forgettable. Their last good one to me was Moana and those songs are all incredible and hummable to this day. I didn't watch the Lord and Miller movie yet though so we'll see.

Encanto had its moments, “we don’t talk about Bruno” being the one that sticks out for me. But Luca had a more endearing look and the characters were *a lot* more likeable and fun. It had a better sense of adventure than Encanto did for me, which was just kind of farting around in a house.

You’re probably right about Moana being their best in a while.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
My official statement on the Oscars Smith/Rock incident:

Whereas an event like Buzz Aldrin punching a moon landing conspiracy theorist is funny, and punching Nazis is extremely funny, this slap is more just deeply sad. It only occurred because both characters were under immense pressure to perform inside this oppressive Oscars context. This is not an event that could have happened at any other time or place.

Rock was under pressure to tell cheap conservative jokes, and Smith was under pressure to do an obligatory "good-natured PR chuckle" in response to the "ribbing". Before Rock was hit, Smith was suddenly hit with the violence of the whole spectacle, and Rock was in the unfortunate position of being the face of the ceremony.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
https://twitter.com/ManuclearBomb/status/1508454908034437124?s=20&t=6wGsXPQgT2IiWvsQUgS1mw

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Moana made Encanto a huge let down for me. Probably Lin Manuel's best music, fun arcs, etc. I thought Encanto was extremely flat. Part of it too, is the theme - I don't really resonate much with "i don't stand out enough in my family" and the last couple of Disney/Pixar movies were about that.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I used to be pretty deep in VES/Annie circles for voting for VFX/Animation, I saw a bunch of Animator rage at the intro for this year's Best Animated short where they just implied animation is for kids which set people off more than who won.

I sorta stopped paying attention to the Oscars when Bill Westenhoffer got "walked off" on his second Oscar for trying to bring up VFX workers rights and how hosed that system is. That and the show cutting below the line awards from the show.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

BigglesSWE posted:

Encanto had its moments, “we don’t talk about Bruno” being the one that sticks out for me. But Luca had a more endearing look and the characters were *a lot* more likeable and fun. It had a better sense of adventure than Encanto did for me, which was just kind of farting around in a house.

You’re probably right about Moana being their best in a while.

Luca does a better job of earning it's emotional payoff as well. Grandpa getting macheted to death during a song does all the heavy lifting in Encanto.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

live with fruit posted:

Grandpa getting macheted to death during a song does all the heavy lifting in Encanto.

Pardon me?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

He made it sound a lot more fun than it was I wouldn’t bother.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

They artistically cut away.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

But yeah Encanto was kind of iffy with the ending. A whole movie’s worth of “matriarch being unbelievably callous and horrible to her granddaughter for not getting X-men power bestowed upon her” and then “sad song we good?” just did not work for me.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/thethirdhan/status/1508307970257571840?s=21&t=qRbSq5cmxMuL4GVNhTwIvQ

:argh: Shakespeare!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Vintersorg posted:

Encanto was fine, but the music has some definite bangers in there. A lot of 'em took second and third viewings to really click (and we have kids so that poo poo is on repeat) but they are good.

I know he did both, but Encanto's feel like they fall more into LMM's classical rapid-fire expository lyric way so that could be a turnoff to some folks over Moana.

None of that really matters in this discussion though because Mitchell's vs The Machines handily beats out everything else. It's amazing. Go watch it.d

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

BonoMan posted:

Encanto was fine, but the music has some definite bangers in there. A lot of 'em took second and third viewings to really click (and we have kids so that poo poo is on repeat) but they are good.

I know he did both, but Encanto's feel like they fall more into LMM's classical rapid-fire expository lyric way so that could be a turnoff to some folks over Moana.

Yeah, I think Moana was made just before Hamilton exploded (and maybe released just after?), so LMM wasn't really comfortable enough (or maybe wasn't allowed) to fully express his style the way he later would. But by Encanto, it's all him. And I say this loving the music in Encanto. Surface Pressure slaps (...dammit), but it is pure strain LMM, so if that doesn't work for you, I totally get it.

But I still maintain that Moana is Disney's best animated film. I love it.

BonoMan posted:

None of that really matters in this discussion though because Mitchell's vs The Machines handily beats out everything else. It's amazing. Go watch it.d

I really need to do this. If only to add another movie into the rotation for my 5 year old. But also because I've heard nothing but great things about it.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Moana’s a nearly perfect movie for the first two thirds but definitely starts running out of steam post-crab song

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

encanto ruined whatever goodwill i had for it when the village all came together to rebuild the house through collective effort and communal support and then... magic's back, everyone's got their powers again. much better ending if they don't get their gifts returned and everyone has to genuinely rely on each other to thrive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I for one took Will Smith's laugh as not "hey this was funny" but "What did this mother fucker just really say?". The eyes didn't seem to be laughing.