Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I’ll try to clarify a bit.

I have my setup which is two monitors. I want to record Discord (either the app itself or running it through a browser) set to fullscreen on a “third screen” - a separate Space. Then the audio from Discord, that would normally play through the computer’s speakers, I don’t want to hear - have it not come through the speakers. But still be recorded via this magical screen recording app.

Basically, I want to record what would not immediately be visible on my screen and audio record what would not be playing through my speakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

LODGE NORTH posted:

I’ll try to clarify a bit.

I have my setup which is two monitors. I want to record Discord (either the app itself or running it through a browser) set to fullscreen on a “third screen” - a separate Space. Then the audio from Discord, that would normally play through the computer’s speakers, I don’t want to hear - have it not come through the speakers. But still be recorded via this magical screen recording app.

Basically, I want to record what would not immediately be visible on my screen and audio record what would not be playing through my speakers.

Ah ok. Yeah Quicktime isn't going to do that. That does seem like you'll need a 'hodgepodge' cause, tbh, that's a really specific set of requirements. Take a look at OBS, it's designed for streamers so allows for a bunch of real-time trickery and compositing and stuff. I have to be frank I'd love to be witness to this in use cause no offence, I can't wrap my head around the Why of this situation.

e; just really curious, in real time use wouldn't this mean you can neither see nor hear the Discord session?

e2; You could probably do this with a Virtual Machine. Run a whole other OS session for the discord. Run a VM, disable audio, record the VM screen from within the VM and stuff all that away on a hidden space.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 19, 2022

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
You could probably set your discord audio output device to one of your monitors (HDMI / DP usually show as devices in "Audio / MIDI setup") that you could then mute (or if your monitor doesn't have speakers, just not hear). Rogue Amoeba makes some apps (Loopback and Audio Hijack) that might help with the audio routing/recording as well (https://rogueamoeba.com/), but that doesn't help with the video side.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

LODGE NORTH posted:

I used to use a MacBook to record DnD sessions between friends on Discord. Just record the fullscreen, record computer audio, but set it to silent -- out of site, out of mind.

However, now that I have a proper Mac, I have access to... real power. So I know my Mac could, in theory, handle a screen recording happening in the background, is there any way to actually do that? Is there a way I can use a Virtual Desktop (or something), full screen Discord, and do the same thing without the audio coming through my speakers?

It's very convoluted, I know, but I feel like some odd hodgepodge of apps might make it somewhat possible.

Use a dedicated HDMI recorder. I stan for epiphan so i suggest giving the webcaster a look(the pearls are too expensive).

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

some kinda jackal posted:

Is there any way to just tell macOS to... not use a plugged in display?

- turn off the display, which means my cursor and windows just get lost offscreen if I happen to move my trackpad too far
You should be able to do this, just make sure the external is off before you plug it in. If you forget you should be able to turn it off and then go to the Display Preferences pane and do a Detect Monitors to force the OS to realize it's not there.

Of course it's been ages since I've done this kind of thing, and it was on older OS versions.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Virtue posted:

Question from a recent macOS convert here. All of the office files I'm opening in outlook have numbers appended to the file name e.g. file name [49].doc. Is this the macOS naming convention for temp files or something?

I think this is because you have 48 other versions of the file with the same name?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

LODGE NORTH posted:

I used to use a MacBook to record DnD sessions between friends on Discord. Just record the fullscreen, record computer audio, but set it to silent -- out of site, out of mind.

However, now that I have a proper Mac, I have access to... real power. So I know my Mac could, in theory, handle a screen recording happening in the background, is there any way to actually do that? Is there a way I can use a Virtual Desktop (or something), full screen Discord, and do the same thing without the audio coming through my speakers?

It's very convoluted, I know, but I feel like some odd hodgepodge of apps might make it somewhat possible.

Does cmd + shift + 5 do what you need?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

tuyop posted:

Does cmd + shift + 5 do what you need?

It does, but it's all the all malarky that I'm not super sure on how to accomplish. Or if the selection window would remain active in a different Space or if it would just record that area on whatever Space is active. It's something I'll potentially dive more into in a few days.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
If I have Big Sur on a machine, and I do a restore, will it restore to the latest Big Sur or to Monterey?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think this is because you have 48 other versions of the file with the same name?

That's what I thought originally but it happens even with entirely new files. I did some googling and it might be a bug with the macos version of outlook but couldn't find a solution.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
I know there's no definitive answer to this question, but how well can I generally expect an application written in Python (with GUI) to run on my MBA M1 via Parallels? Bonus question: does anyone have experience with AHK running on the same setup?

I know there's a free trial for Parallels and it seems like Win ARM still doesn't ask for authentication, but I'm on a time crunch for work and I would hate to invest time in fiddling with it if it's clearly a fool's errand (though cursory googling doesn't indicate that), so if anyone has experience to share in that regard, that'd be much appreciated.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Badly Jester posted:

I know there's no definitive answer to this question, but how well can I generally expect an application written in Python (with GUI) to run on my MBA M1 via Parallels? Bonus question: does anyone have experience with AHK running on the same setup?

I know there's a free trial for Parallels and it seems like Win ARM still doesn't ask for authentication, but I'm on a time crunch for work and I would hate to invest time in fiddling with it if it's clearly a fool's errand (though cursory googling doesn't indicate that), so if anyone has experience to share in that regard, that'd be much appreciated.

If you define a specific app for others to test, you might get a better answer.

Also, the Win 11 image is like 6 gigs, so in the time it takes for someone to test for you and respond you likely could have just done it yourself.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

bobfather posted:

If you define a specific app for others to test, you might get a better answer.

Also, the Win 11 image is like 6 gigs, so in the time it takes for someone to test for you and respond you likely could have just done it yourself.

It's a scientific thing from a very niche field, so I'd pretty much be doxxing myself by specifying the app. But more importantly, I'm not expecting anyone to test the program for me - as far as helping randos on the internet goes, that'd be ridiculous of me to expect.
That's why I figured that a general question - whether running Python apps on that setup tends to work well or if its a known clusterfuck - is sufficient. Could be that the x86 emulation on Windows ARM and Python libraries generally don't play nice or whatever.

I also don't think that spending a minute on these two forum posts to see if the mission would be doomed before it even started comes particularly close to being a similar investment of time and effort as setting up Parallels for the first time ever and then creating the exact Windows environment that I need.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

You might even be able to run it on macOS. It looks like there are still 2.7.17 packages out there if that’s your concern. I can verify that at least basic scripts work within macOS even after Apple removed the native version of Python recently.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Badly Jester posted:

I just ran ROS (open source robotics toolkits) in an Ubuntu Parallels VM for work on a M1 Pro MBP including tools that have full 3D visualizations and GUIs with zero hiccups. I also had to compile a few custom plugins we wrote (C++, python libraries, opencv, etc...) and I didn't think twice of the compile time vs my previous Lenovo laptop on bare metal. I would expect anything you throw at it to run fine.

I also ran Windows 11 in Parallels on my personal M1 MBP and played Counterstrike Source right off steam at max settings, but that's over a decade old game :v: Windows 11 Parallels install was painless (so was Ubuntu), it's one click download and install in the free trial.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Is it, by any stretch of creativity, possible to pair some bluetooth device to macOS and have its buttons specifically only work in one single app? Not as in it does nothing if you're in another app, but pressing one of its buttons makes the aforementioned app active etc etc.

It's for a super niche use, but I feel like it may not be that outlandish to exist.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

LODGE NORTH posted:

Is it, by any stretch of creativity, possible to pair some bluetooth device to macOS and have its buttons specifically only work in one single app? Not as in it does nothing if you're in another app, but pressing one of its buttons makes the aforementioned app active etc etc.

It's for a super niche use, but I feel like it may not be that outlandish to exist.

I think USB Overdrive can do it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
ControllerMate can do it but only works up to Mojave.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

~Coxy posted:

ControllerMate can do it but only works up to Mojave.

Alas, poor ControllerMate. Possibly the best and most powerful input-remapping application for macOS.
I knew him, Horatio.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

nitsuga posted:

You might even be able to run it on macOS. It looks like there are still 2.7.17 packages out there if that’s your concern. I can verify that at least basic scripts work within macOS even after Apple removed the native version of Python recently.

There is a macOS version of the software in question, but unfortunately it doesn't work. The person who makes this particular piece of software is more of a scientist than a programmer, and he self-admittedly doesn't really care whether it runs on macOS or not.

Frinkahedron posted:

<stuff giving me hope>

Thanks guys, now that I know there's at least a decent chance of it working, I'll find a way to carve out some time and set this up.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is it worth getting AppleCare on a new MacBook Pro 16" or should I just not bother?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is it worth getting AppleCare on a new MacBook Pro 16" or should I just not bother?

It really depends. It’s not an insignificant add-on, but if it’s going to lead a rough and tumble life, yes, do it. If it’s going to stay at home on a desk, maybe, maybe not. By all accounts though, Apple does right by AppleCare+ havers, and you can bet just about any accidental damage that might happen would cost more than $400 to repair.

You have 60 days post purchase to buy a plan too if you want some time to think: https://www.apple.com/support/products/mac/

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ThermoPhysical posted:

nitsuga posted:

It really depends. It’s not an insignificant add-on, but if it’s going to lead a rough and tumble life, yes, do it. If it’s going to stay at home on a desk, maybe, maybe not. By all accounts though, Apple does right by AppleCare+ havers, and you can bet just about any accidental damage that might happen would cost more than $400 to repair.

You have 60 days post purchase to buy a plan too if you want some time to think: https://www.apple.com/support/products/mac/

Mostly just +1:ing this. My experience is that, sure, for 3/5 devices I've bought it for, it was a hefty extra cost on top, but for the other two, it more than covered the costs of repairs and replacements. This included various first-gen build defects such as the early MBA screen hinges, the notorious MBP keys, and in one case an additional extra helping of the cumulative effects of rough handling. On the whole, Apple has obviously come out on top in the equation, but that's just insurance in general for you.

For the new MBP, I don't think it has any obvious teething problems left that would inherently warrant the cost just for that, so that reason would be out. And like Nitsuga points out - especially for that size - if it's effectively only going to be a desktop computer that just happens to be portable, then that's another strike against paying extra.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I always get Apple Care on my laptops (because theyre important to me, and I use them professionally - its more about ensuring I'm never down for a significant time more than evaluating the cost benefit) and phone (because obvious reasons).

I generally dont bother with Apple Care on desktops (which I use partially professionally, but primarily personally) and iPad (because frankly I dont really care how long I'm down for).

Basically: in my opinion dont exclusively look at the cost benefit, but also the impact of a device loss-of-use.

Additional data point: chip shortage is pretty real right now and may get increasingly worse over the course of the year; lag time on devices could get worse, and in my experience Apple Care is pretty fast even when retail units arent available for 30+ days.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm trying the year-over-year AppleCare option with my new MBP. In the past I've always gone with the standard three-year one, but my laptops have always tended to stay in service a lot longer than that for me and I always wished I had coverage for stuff like motherboard rot or screen damage/degradation that shows up in like year 6. I'll probably end up paying way more for it this way than I would have with the classic three-year lump-sum version, but a) it'll be worth it if it saves me a painful repair five years from now and b) it makes the initial purchase price far less of a pill to swallow since it's only like $150 at purchase time.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Data Graham posted:

I'm trying the year-over-year AppleCare option with my new MBP. In the past I've always gone with the standard three-year one, but my laptops have always tended to stay in service a lot longer than that for me and I always wished I had coverage for stuff like motherboard rot or screen damage/degradation that shows up in like year 6. I'll probably end up paying way more for it this way than I would have with the classic three-year lump-sum version, but a) it'll be worth it if it saves me a painful repair five years from now and b) it makes the initial purchase price far less of a pill to swallow since it's only like $150 at purchase time.

I thought there was an option to extend your fixed-term Apple Care and move to an annual plan after the initial period is over. Is that a regional thing (I'm in Germany), or am I just making poo poo up out of thin air? Because that sounds like it would be the best of both worlds in your scenario.

Edit: Found it here. The wording is quite vague ("you might be able to" - depending on what, you assholes?) but it does seem like it's generally an option.

Badly Jester fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 24, 2022

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yes. Apple products are extremely fragile by design. Better to pay a subsidized amount with AppleCare than an arm and a leg without it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You can buy AC after your 60 or 90 day window, up to one year post purchase, but they'll want you to bring your unit in to an Apple Store to verify its condition. For my 14" they just did a visual inspection of the screen, and pulled the bottom off the unit to look for liquid damage. But other than that it was very straightforward, driving to an Apple store notwithstanding.

e: Actually, I lied. There doesn't (or didn't, when I did it a month or two ago) seem to be a way to just make a genius bar appointment for AC inspection online. I had to call someone and they set it up for me. It was not a big deal but I was kind of frustrated that there wasn't just a "I want to buy AC late but need it inspected" option.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 24, 2022

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Out of curiosity, I just set up Universal Control for the first time and this is magical.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is there anything that works on Monterey for adjusting audio output for specific applications only? I tried background music but it doesn't seem to work on OS 12x yet

I'm trying to mute MS teams so I can "attend" meetings without hearing them, and still listen to music or w/e. they have audio output settings of course, but they pair with the global settings.

edit: poo poo i never noticed that when I join a meeting there is a "don't use audio" option!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 24, 2022

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You could try something like https://vb-audio.com/Cable/ and just not hook the output up to anything

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I tried using ARM Parallels to play games on my M1 Mac, but am finding there's a huge input lag, like enough to make playing games actively bad. Any advice about this?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I tried using ARM Parallels to play games on my M1 Mac, but am finding there's a huge input lag, like enough to make playing games actively bad. Any advice about this?

You’re emulating x86 on an arm proc. Never not gonna be lag.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I'm not talking about bad FPS, I'm talking about input lag, which is not a normal thing even under emulation.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Is there a non-hacky way to run Windows on an M1 Mac yet?

I would like to have a couple of VMs but it seems like most of the platforms involve getting beta windows builds + a lot of VM config stuff so I’ve stayed away from it so far.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
There is no official Windows on ARM build for non OEMs yet, so no.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.
The current Parallels installer will procure ARM Windows 11 for you and apparently you can just activate it with any Windows 10/11 key. Presumably Microsoft are OK with this.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
edit: this question is probably out of scope for a thread about casually discussing Apple products.

BrianRx fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 25, 2022

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

the macos app store updater is the most user hostile piece of software i think i've ever encountered. pops up daily to nag me to install updates, steals focus from whatever i'm doing and has a 15 second "cool down" before i can close it or dismiss it. what a piece of loving junk

before you tell me to just not use the app store: there's software required for my job that is only available via the app store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

the talent deficit posted:

the macos app store updater is the most user hostile piece of software i think i've ever encountered. pops up daily to nag me to install updates, steals focus from whatever i'm doing and has a 15 second "cool down" before i can close it or dismiss it. what a piece of loving junk

before you tell me to just not use the app store: there's software required for my job that is only available via the app store

Can you not just turn off notifications for the App Store?