Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Do your own Iron Chef: Cream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Make a really big batch of carbonara with extra peas

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey goons.

Anyone try to make sugar-free ice cream? I've heard about blending artificial sweeteners to make them powdery like confectioner's sugar, and then mixing them with the milk/cream. Anyone ever tried it? What did you use and how'd it turn out?

mystes
May 31, 2006

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Hey goons.

Anyone try to make sugar-free ice cream? I've heard about blending artificial sweeteners to make them powdery like confectioner's sugar, and then mixing them with the milk/cream. Anyone ever tried it? What did you use and how'd it turn out?
I haven't tried it but you're probably going to have to start using weird poo poo like polyols and/or polydextrose and it's probably still not going to be great.

If you're really determined you might actually be better off looking into the ninja creami or something and whether people have been able to make sugar free stuff that way, since ice cream/sorbet produced that way probably shouldn't rely on sugar for texture in the same way, and it's possible you could just use high-intensity sweeteners like sucralose and still get a good result (but I haven't looked into it and i'm not sure)

mystes fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 25, 2022

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

The cream is obviously for

1) whipping and then topping strawberries or other fruit

2) putting in coffee (that’s right, fight me)

3) quiche

Duh.

Hawkperson fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 26, 2022

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Eton mess.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I mean that's really not that much cream. Just using it for tea and coffee, whipping a little, making a cream soup, getting drunk on white russians - it'll be gone in a day or two.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

EightFlyingCars posted:

our grocery order came with an entire litre of heavy whipping cream for some reason. what the gently caress am i gonna do with it all

If you want a specific recipe suggestion, I've been meaning to make this for awhile:

https://www.notanothercookingshow.tv/post/spicy-red-pepper-pasta

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Scientastic posted:

i won't forget the button mushrooms either

poo poo this is a great idea actually, i make a killer spinach quiche

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Make scones. Lots of scones.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Scientastic posted:

This is amazing

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Doom Rooster posted:

Make scones. Lots of scones.

oh duh! of course! this is gonna go great with the saskatoonberry jam we got too. i got so much baking ahead of me this weekend

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mr. Wiggles posted:

using it for tea

WHAT

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

This site's the best because I can go to one bookmarked thread and people are complaining about the cost of insulin then I click the next bookmarked thread and people are claiming that a liter of whipping cream isn't that much.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

VelociBacon posted:

This site's the best because I can go to one bookmarked thread and people are complaining about the cost of insulin then I click the next bookmarked thread and people are claiming that a liter of whipping cream isn't that much.

Well, cream is fatty but pretty low carb so you’d need barely any insulin for it. :smug:

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Is celery salt a prominent flavor in old bay seasoning? I tried it for the first time just today and there's this strong (sort of bitter-adjacent) flavor in it that I do not recognize. I've also never had celery salt. So I'm wondering if that's the thing or if it's just a combination of flavors coming together in an unusual way for me.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Phigs posted:

Is celery salt a prominent flavor in old bay seasoning? I tried it for the first time just today and there's this strong (sort of bitter-adjacent) flavor in it that I do not recognize. I've also never had celery salt. So I'm wondering if that's the thing or if it's just a combination of flavors coming together in an unusual way for me.

yep, it is

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

A cup of really strong Yorkshire tea with a little bit of cream is really luxurious. Also works well in strong chai masala or in some of the spicier rooiboos things from South Africa.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

EightFlyingCars posted:

oh duh! of course! this is gonna go great with the saskatoonberry jam we got too. i got so much baking ahead of me this weekend
Goddamit now I'm homesick. It's difficult to get good maple syrup in Australia, and loving impossible to get the berries named for the city where I met my wife.

Also now I want pick up a litre of cream and go hog wild and find out how long it would last. As has been suggested, probably a couple of days at most.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

So we've bought crab to cook at home, and one thing that always gets me with cooking crab at home is the tomalley. There's all sorts of calls to save the tomalley, either for the dish itself or other uses later. But having now cooked it at home it never seems to all that usable or saveable? I never see anything super distinct. There's often what looks like it might be it in color, but it's never very solid or scoopable, it just looks like a liquid. Is there a better way to use/save the tomalley that I'm missing? Is it worth it?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I always just ate it in the process of eating crab. Would dip bits of the meat into it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Leraika posted:

Seconding soup

Also works for making mashed potatoes. Which is tbf sort of potato soup adjacent.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I mean that's really not that much cream. Just using it for tea

:yikes:

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Cream in a nice strong Assam or some earl grey is delicious, so there

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I mean that's really not that much cream. Just using it for tea and coffee, whipping a little, making a cream soup, getting drunk on white russians - it'll be gone in a day or two.

Is that what they mean when they serve a 'cream tea'?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

People do pretty disgusting things with dairy and tea.

Like condensed milk tea, yuk

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Carillon posted:

Is that what they mean when they serve a 'cream tea'?

In case this is not a little joke, a cream tea is basically scones with jam and clotted cream, plus tea.
People get very heated over whether you should put the cream or the jam on the scone first.

I have no opinion on this decision because either way, jam + cream is disgusting

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Jam, then cream

At least that's what Pr0k's mom always told me.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Jam, then cream

At least that's what Pr0k's mom always told me.

:golfclap:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Pookah posted:

I have no opinion on this decision because either way, jam + cream is disgusting

WHAT THE gently caress

Cream teas are amazing, I am honestly at a complete as to how any human being can hold this completely aberrant opinion

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I've never seen cream near tea. I'm from Italian/German background living in Canada. Maybe in the UK cream tea is popular?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Scientastic posted:

WHAT THE gently caress

Cream teas are amazing, I am honestly at a complete as to how any human being can hold this completely aberrant opinion

They make me throw up 100% of the time. It's super weird, I have pretty much no other food reactions bar this one.
Cream plus jam = barf.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Lots of bad teapinions itt. Vietnamese coffee and milk teas are delicious, so is cream tea, so is cream in tea.

Also it goes clotted cream, THEN jam on the scone. You wouldn’t put butter on top of your jam on toast, would you?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Pookah posted:

They make me throw up 100% of the time. It's super weird, I have pretty much no other food reactions bar this one.
Cream plus jam = barf.

That sucks. There’s some sort of herb or something that oldass dumpy italian restaurants use a lot of because even sitting down in a place like that will usually make me barf from the smell. I have no idea what it is - oregano or basil or something - because I otherwise make and eat italian food just fine

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

WHAT THE gently caress

I didn’t even comment on it as it wasn’t worth dignifying. Just let people have their bizarre and frankly wrong opinions: more cream tea for the rest of us.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Hawkperson posted:

Also it goes clotted cream, THEN jam on the scone. You wouldn’t put butter on top of your jam on toast, would you?

:wrong:

It’s jam then cream

You wouldn’t put butter on top of your jam, but the important thing you’ve forgotten is… clotted cream isn’t butter

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Scientastic posted:

:wrong:

It’s jam then cream

You wouldn’t put butter on top of your jam, but the important thing you’ve forgotten is… clotted cream isn’t butter

The rule is clearly dairy then fruit :colbert:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Tell that to whipped cream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The guideline is hardest to spread first, so your subsequent layers don't fudge your distribution on earlier layers

If you have similarly spreadable layers you can use other parameters at your discretion, though some breakfast & teatime auditors can give you a hard time so make sure you know your rules and regs