Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

ethanol posted:

I believe in Lewis op. While the racist thread may be ready to throw him under the bus. I will support him until the end.

if we're bringing the gross R word into it, I'd like to call a stewards inquiry over the blatant antisemitism in this thread towards all round good lad and podium haver Lance Stroll who inexplicably has not been knighted for his services to motorsport and the british automotive industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
So why were there 13 retirements this weekend?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

edgar_ posted:

Well what I learned from this article is Guenther Steiner is Italian. Combining that with Binotto being Swiss is truly loving me up today

Wow, I had no idea! Thanks for sharing.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Quizzlefish posted:

Oh poo poo he's from Tyrol. I lived near there. It is weird that the road signs are in German but I didn't meet anyone as Germanic seeming as Guenther

There was that r/relationships post that I'm still mad about a decade later, about how some Italian lad's French girlfriend had learned Italian for him, but then when she found out his parents spoke German she learned that as well. Only they switched to their weird cryptic Swiss Italian German hybrid language whenever she was in the room and told him they were refusing to use Italian because she was so rude and ignorant not to have learned their language.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

ilmucche posted:

Honda engine #7 went bang, bad luck, engine overheating after hard racing, fraudism.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

learnincurve posted:

There was that r/relationships post that I'm still mad about a decade later, about how some Italian lad's French girlfriend had learned Italian for him, but then when she found out his parents spoke German she learned that as well. Only they switched to their weird cryptic Swiss Italian German hybrid language whenever she was in the room and told him they were refusing to use Italian because she was so rude and ignorant not to have learned their language.

Please stop going on reddit, curve. I worry about you enough as it is :love:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

That was basically my grandparents except they'd talk English all the time but then switch to German about 30 seconds before they would start just loving screaming at each other because my grandmother wouldn't pass the bread for lunch of some other bullshit.

German really is such a beautiful language once you get to know it

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Theophany posted:

Please stop going on reddit, curve. I worry about you enough as it is :love:

I quit reddit 10+ years ago after incels from the fat people women hating subreddits came into the huge craft/sewing sections I was a moderator of and stole pictures of perfectly normal young women to relentlessly mock. Like "look at the ugly dimples on her knees" levels of shithousery, reddit itself wouldn't do poo poo about it so I left.

I bought a omelette maker today and it's amazing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ilmucche posted:

Fraudulent engineering

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

learnincurve posted:

My friend is Irish and her family are very traditional and speak Irish to each other. Of course they are absolutely fluent English speakers. When she had an (Irish) boyfriend that couldn't speak good Irish - her dad refused to speak to him in English and insisted on Irish at the dinner table etc. Brutal.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Am I the only one who thinks mercedes will pull it out of the bag in a few weeks?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

learnincurve posted:

I quit reddit 10+ years ago after incels from the fat people women hating subreddits came into the huge craft/sewing sections I was a moderator of and stole pictures of perfectly normal young women to relentlessly mock. Like "look at the ugly dimples on her knees" levels of shithousery, reddit itself wouldn't do poo poo about it so I left.

What was the inaugural omelette and I swear to god if you say cast iron I'm going to poo poo a chicken.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
You can make a pretty good spatchcocked chicken in a good cast iron pan

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

I made 'nduja scrambled eggs over the weekend. Unfortunately I didn't use the cast iron, but they were still excellent.

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields
I asked for a cast iron pan a few years ago, but my sister got me one with an enamel (or something) surface; at first I was bummed but to be honest I'm glad I don't have to faff around with seasoning and worrying about people washing it. It's great to have cookware that doesnt require me to join reddit to use it

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

MustardFacial posted:

Rebus, if you had good correlation between CFD data and wind tunnel data, could you design and build functional aero surfaces just from CFD without testing them in the wind tunnel at all? Or is wind tunnel time a requirement for getting parts on a car? Are there things that only wind tunnel time can show? (Navier-Stokes turbulence data aside, of course)

In theory the bare minimum you need to do to get a part on the car is:
1. Check it's legal.
2. Check it's not going to break when stressed at representative conditions.

I've known parts to go on a car which haven't been tunnel tested but in general everything has been through CFD, mostly because it's practically zero effort to send your geometry off to be simulated.

It's important to understand that CFD gives a tremendous amount of data about one very specific condition, so it's used to answer very specific questions: "does my funky shaped winglet do the job of pushing this bit of dirty air away from that part of bodywork, which we've observed to cause loss of downforce in high speed corners with high rear ride height?"
And the purpose of the WT test is to check the overall performance: "does my funky shaped winglet correlate with what I saw in CFD, and does it also not have any negative effects elsewhere in the envelope of where we expect the car to be, and does it function as a whole with all the other bits we've since changed?"

There are some transient and hysteresis effects that are difficult to replicate in CFD, but they're also difficult to replicate in the tunnel (I don't recall anyone saying they saw porpoising on their tunnel models). All of it needs to be taken with a pinch of salt and as a scientific experiment with a degree of error.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Quizzlefish posted:

Am I the only one who thinks mercedes will pull it out of the bag in a few weeks?

FIA is going to change the rules mid-season, just like they did with the pitstop minimum length rules, once Toto's wire transfer comes through

EDIT: My sources tell me that overtaking car #63 will be prohibited

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Deltasquid posted:

FIA is going to change the rules mid-season, just like they did with the pitstop minimum length rules, once Toto's wire transfer comes through

EDIT: My sources tell me that overtaking car #63 will be prohibited

Why would it take til mid season for Toto to get a wire transfer to the FIA? I know that Merc and the FIA dont have their accounts linked like Ferrari probably does but they’re also not Haas-levels of poorly managed, so…

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

learnincurve posted:

Genuine question - what's wrong with making one in a frying pan?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Quizzlefish posted:

wouldn't surprise me, minus the pitstop errors, Sir Lewis was doing a pretty good job moving up the field, so maybe they've got his car sorted out the way Russell's seemed to be.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

From what I saw of them, they weren't bouncing as much as they have been

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

wouldn't surprise me, minus the pitstop errors, Sir Lewis was doing a pretty good job moving up the field, so maybe they've got his car sorted out the way Russell's seemed to be.

Although Russell (as fraudulent as he is) was still miles behind the Ferrari/RB cars.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Thanks Ants posted:

From what I saw of them, they weren't bouncing as much as they have been

They've been increasing the ride height a lot during the race to prevent the bouncing

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/LewisHamilton/status/1508517254048231430

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Diorama posted:

I asked for a cast iron pan a few years ago, but my sister got me one with an enamel (or something) surface; at first I was bummed but to be honest I'm glad I don't have to faff around with seasoning and worrying about people washing it. It's great to have cookware that doesnt require me to join reddit to use it

enameled cast iron is the only acceptable cast iron, I'm still bummed all my enameled cast iron dutch ovens are locked away in my ex's storage locker

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Theophany posted:

enameled cast iron is the only acceptable cast iron, I'm still bummed all my enameled cast iron dutch ovens are locked away in my ex's storage locker

cast iron made from iron ore that you dug out of the ground with your bare hands, smelted, and cast yourself is the only acceptable cast iron.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Aphex- posted:

Genuine question - what's wrong with making one in a frying pan?

I'm lazy OP.

Theophany posted:

What was the inaugural omelette and I swear to god if you say cast iron I'm going to poo poo a chicken.

It's like a really deep toasty maker, £15 from wilcos

yellow stickered Marks and spencers mozzarella balls in pesto + 3 beaten eggs.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Theophany posted:

You're supposed to put a ring on it before you give access to your cast iron. You should get a lawyer OP.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

MustardFacial posted:

You're supposed to put a ring on it before you give access to your cast iron. You should get a lawyer OP.

Maybe they were making a bigger commitment than marriage.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

boop the snoot posted:

Maybe they were making a bigger commitment than marriage.

cast iron ownership is the biggest commitment there is. You can't lock it away in a storage unit, you have to cherish and nurture it like a flower.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Quizzlefish posted:

Oh poo poo he's from Tyrol. I lived near there. It is weird that the road signs are in German but I didn't meet anyone as Germanic seeming as Guenther

Did you never go in to Bolzano/Bozen? You could move that whole city in to Austria and not notice a difference. It's a neat town.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

MustardFacial posted:

cast iron ownership is the biggest commitment there is. You can't lock it away in a storage unit, you have to cherish and nurture it like a flower.

legally, cast iron does not become marital property and must be returned to the pre-marital owner

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

learnincurve posted:

yellow stickered Marks and spencers mozzarella balls in pesto + 3 beaten eggs.

I would ashamedly eat the poo poo out of that.

MustardFacial posted:

I was just going to turn up to the facility drunk, banging on random steel doors shouting about how the FIA robbed Lewis Hamilton of an 8th world title, but your suggestion of legal counsel sounds more sensible.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

learnincurve posted:

I want to know more.

Also post ur dogs. Possibly with omelettes

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Theophany posted:

I would ashamedly eat the poo poo out of that.

I was just going to turn up to the facility drunk, banging on random steel doors shouting about how the FIA robbed Lewis Hamilton of an 8th world title, but your suggestion of legal counsel sounds more sensible.

If the storage facility is in the right place I bet this would still work.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Theophany posted:

My suggestion is boring and will take a long time. You should go with your gut and start banging on the doors.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

boop the snoot posted:

Why would it take til mid season for Toto to get a wire transfer to the FIA? I know that Merc and the FIA dont have their accounts linked like Ferrari probably does but they’re also not Haas-levels of poorly managed, so…

Oh the wire transfer is probably due any day now, it's the regulation change that takes them half a season. Calculated to inflict maximum damage on the teams extending their lead and all that

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Mods I thought anything other than flattering praise of the one true god, Sir Lewis Hamilton, was a bannable offense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

learnincurve posted:

A pan??