Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

Maybe they'll stop if you answer in English.

I mean it's new people every time. I just say I'm not feeling well or whatever usually and then hang up and that's the end of it.

Edit: Unless it's NHK who hunt you until you have paid up or are dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Escape From Noise posted:

I wish I got just phone calls. Here in Osaka I get people ringing my intercom to my apartment. I guess next time I should threaten to kill them or something? I've been telling them I don't feel well and hanging up on them like an idiot!

Short the wires on the intercom through the button, so they get a warning shock if they try to use it. They'll learn eventually! :science:

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Short the wires on the intercom through the button, so they get a warning shock if they try to use it. They'll learn eventually! :science:

What happens to my friends and package handlers then?

Edit: I guess my only option is complete isolation.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

What happens to my friends and package handlers then?

Edit: I guess my only option is complete isolation.

They should have your number and be able to call you. Anyone who thinks your intercom is a good idea probably doesn't belong there! :pseudo:

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They should have your number and be able to call you. Anyone who thinks your intercom is a good idea probably doesn't belong there! :pseudo:

I could probably collect my package and many others from the now dead delivery drivers.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Dumb poo poo your work does: I guess my only option is complete isolation

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I could probably collect my package and many others from the now dead delivery drivers.

At least you know they won't be taking your package back to the post office or depot this way because they 'Just Missed You"!

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Surely there could be no unforseen consequences...

We can take care of these consequences later.
One issue at a time.

Non Krampus Mentis
Oct 17, 2011

Scrungus Bungus from the planet Grongous
Today we have the big staff meeting with our boss. Literally everyone is ready to quit, including me—the production schedule is unsustainable for a single part-time baker and a single full-time baker, the baristas are ready to riot over a number of things including our boss accusing one of them of being late on purpose, and the kitchen organization and procedures change at least once every ten days. The menu keeps expanding and I’m very keenly aware that I cannot be sick ir have an emergency because it will throw everyone off.

It’s also my birthday tomorrow and it was just the 15-year anniversary of my mom’s death, so I am desperately hanging on to the hope I can get through today without crying like a dumb baby.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Non Krampus Mentis posted:

Today we have the big staff meeting with our boss. Literally everyone is ready to quit, including me—the production schedule is unsustainable for a single part-time baker and a single full-time baker, the baristas are ready to riot over a number of things including our boss accusing one of them of being late on purpose, and the kitchen organization and procedures change at least once every ten days. The menu keeps expanding and I’m very keenly aware that I cannot be sick ir have an emergency because it will throw everyone off.

It’s also my birthday tomorrow and it was just the 15-year anniversary of my mom’s death, so I am desperately hanging on to the hope I can get through today without crying like a dumb baby.

take a mental health day, let your boss burn

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

champagne posting posted:

take a mental health day, let your boss burn

Yeah, take a mental health day and let it all burn down. Then when you're ready to go back, tell the boss to go gently caress themselves and take another mental health day.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

It's your birthday, there is zero loving reason you should be working. And if it makes your lovely workplace crash and burn around your boss' head, that's just a nice birthday present to yourself.

Non Krampus Mentis
Oct 17, 2011

Outrail posted:

Yeah, take a mental health day and let it all burn down. Then when you're ready to go back, tell the boss to go gently caress themselves and take another mental health day.

The thought of a mental health day is simultaneously great and terrifying. My boss has a bad habit of accepting orders that people phone in instead of respecting the “all custom orders need one week” rule and she keeps complaining that between all the production work and her new baby she’s not sleeping.

I feel like the amount and variety of production we’re trying to take on is not normal or healthy or good for a small business.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

The thought of a mental health day is simultaneously great and terrifying. My boss has a bad habit of accepting orders that people phone in instead of respecting the “all custom orders need one week” rule and she keeps complaining that between all the production work and her new baby she’s not sleeping.

I feel like the amount and variety of production we’re trying to take on is not normal or healthy or good for a small business.

Have you tried telling her if she wants less production work she could stop accepting more production work, and that she is the master of her own destiny, and that she's a stupid gently caress who deserves a sleep deprivation driven nervous breakdown?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

If the business falls to pieces because ONE EMPLOYEE takes vacation for ONE DAY, that place was never going to survive anyways.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

This was my last boss and orders of bottles of beer but beer takes at least three weeks. He'd just say yes to the order without checking stock then delivering on that order was on us. I lasted four months.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

MagusofStars posted:

If the business falls to pieces because ONE EMPLOYEE takes vacation for ONE DAY, that place was never going to survive anyways.

Non Krampus Mentis
Oct 17, 2011

Outrail posted:

Have you tried telling her if she wants less production work she could stop accepting more production work, and that she is the master of her own destiny, and that she's a stupid gently caress who deserves a sleep deprivation driven nervous breakdown?

The orders thing is one of the main issues the staff union is going to bring up at the Big Meeting today, yes. With some of the other issues being “this is not enough staff to do this work”, “it’s insane that you haven’t hired a manager but expect us all to do manager duties”, and “you’re noticeably harder on your black employees than you are on the white ones”.

This was my last boss and orders of bottles of beer but beer takes at least three weeks. He'd just say yes to the order without checking stock then delivering on that order was on us. I lasted four months.

oh my god gently caress that guy right in the nose, I’m amazed you lasted that long after the first time it happened.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Pekinduck posted:

There's a slight possibility my dad was history's first "Lenny"

Long ago my dad was tired, stressed out, infant Pekinduck was screaming, one of those days. He juggles me and grabs the phone and its a prerecorded spam call for a sketchy/fake charity or something. Something like "SAVE THE CHILDREN NOW CALL 1-800-XXX-XXXX" on loop. He nearly goes on a rampage but decides to do something constructive.

He realizes three things:

1. 800 numbers are obviously free for the caller, but in the 80's were extortionately expensive for the receiving party. Something like 25-50 cents just to connect.

2. He called the 800 number and it wasn't a live person, just another recording and a voicemail box. If you called and immediately hung up they got charged 50 cents and would be none the wiser.

3. Even in the 80's prerecorded telemarketing was already illegal. They couldn't run crying to the police or phone company about any telephone shenanigans aimed at them.

At work he had access to a mainframe computer with a handful of unused modems with dedicated phone lines. He wrote a program to have them all constantly dial the 800 number and let 'er rip. After a few weeks the number was disconnected, probably when they got the bill.
And people were just saying IT didn't have any immediate and uplifting results.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I made a reservation booking using the new system and forgot to include two data points. I'm not the only one who forgets these data points. I just got an email from the boss sent to all employees: since all bookings go to her for approval, she's going to immediately reject any bookings missing the data points, and if customers get mad that their bookings weren't approved, it's our fault for not adding the data.

I get that she's frustrated, and that email was probably cathartic to write and send, but for someone constantly after us about professionalism and positive training, she's being a gigantic hypocrite.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
gently caress people and their goddamn systems

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

There is an anime screenshot for every situation isn't there?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
30 seconds on GIS couldn't find an anime screenshot for this

I brought my Drake posted:

I made a reservation booking using the new system and forgot to include two data points. I'm not the only one who forgets these data points. I just got an email from the boss sent to all employees: since all bookings go to her for approval, she's going to immediately reject any bookings missing the data points, and if customers get mad that their bookings weren't approved, it's our fault for not adding the data.

I get that she's frustrated, and that email was probably cathartic to write and send, but for someone constantly after us about professionalism and positive training, she's being a gigantic hypocrite.

Give your boss a hug for me and tell them a random moron on the internet understands their pain,

Outrail fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 28, 2022

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Zil posted:

I think we could all benefit from the wisdom of the Anime Elves re: business administration.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Zil posted:

I am going to need the source for Business Elf here, because this seems proximate to my interests.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Volmarias posted:

I am going to need the source for Business Elf here, because this seems proximate to my interests.

Unfortunately that snippet is about the entirety of the business wisdom you're going to get out of Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?, also known as DanMachi. But if you are interested in Real Business In Anime I recommend Spice and Wolf or Aggretsuko. The former contains a lot of general economics and trade through the lens of a traveling medieval merchant, while the latter follows a frustrated office worker in modern times.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
poo poo, One Punch Man follows a frustrated office worker... just sayin.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Luffy never had to debate about using vacation days to cover sick time, just sayin...

Pekinduck posted:

There's a slight possibility my dad was history's first "Lenny"

Long ago my dad was tired, stressed out, infant Pekinduck was screaming, one of those days. He juggles me and grabs the phone and its a prerecorded spam call for a sketchy/fake charity or something. Something like "SAVE THE CHILDREN NOW CALL 1-800-XXX-XXXX" on loop. He nearly goes on a rampage but decides to do something constructive.

He realizes three things:

1. 800 numbers are obviously free for the caller, but in the 80's were extortionately expensive for the receiving party. Something like 25-50 cents just to connect.

2. He called the 800 number and it wasn't a live person, just another recording and a voicemail box. If you called and immediately hung up they got charged 50 cents and would be none the wiser.

3. Even in the 80's prerecorded telemarketing was already illegal. They couldn't run crying to the police or phone company about any telephone shenanigans aimed at them.

At work he had access to a mainframe computer with a handful of unused modems with dedicated phone lines. He wrote a program to have them all constantly dial the 800 number and let 'er rip. After a few weeks the number was disconnected, probably when they got the bill.

Good news, since everything is VoIP now you can do the same thing with a 10 year old laptop sitting in the closet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzedMdx6QG4&t=135s

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 28, 2022

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Takes No Damage posted:

^^^ Luffy never had to debate about using vacation days to cover sick time, just sayin...

Good news, since everything is VoIP now you can do the same thing with a 10 year old laptop sitting in the closet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzedMdx6QG4&t=135s

Lmao nice

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

DiHK posted:

That really doesn't track considering Saitama hasn't been an office worker in years. Actually I think he never got hired once.

Non Krampus Mentis
Oct 17, 2011

Well that sure was a five hour meeting.

I did get to tell my boss that I desperately need more backup in the kitchen. She claims she’s hiring but “can’t find anyone”; I’m giving her until mid-April, and if no one materializes, I’m out. No idea if “please stop expanding the menu” or “no seriously, you really can’t take custom orders with less than a week lead time” actually registered, but I said it, and I’m glad.

The part-time baker actually made me a real deal birthday cake, and I almost cried. It’s delicious.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I did get to tell my boss that I desperately need more backup in the kitchen. She claims she’s hiring but “can’t find anyone” at the salary she's willing to offer
Fixed that for you.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

DiHK posted:

Dude had to battle a crab man when he just wanted to get to a big sale before it ended. Most relatable anime protagonist.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Saitama was unemployed. He was coming from a failed interview. He was naught but an aspiring office worker.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Machai posted:

Saitama was unemployed. He was coming from a failed interview. He was naught but an aspiring office worker.

Lol what a loser

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I knew i didnt have it quite right but it was too dumb for me not to type.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Well that sure was a five hour meeting.

I did get to tell my boss that I desperately need more backup in the kitchen. She claims she’s hiring but “can’t find anyone”; I’m giving her until mid-April, and if no one materializes, I’m out. No idea if “please stop expanding the menu” or “no seriously, you really can’t take custom orders with less than a week lead time” actually registered, but I said it, and I’m glad.

The part-time baker actually made me a real deal birthday cake, and I almost cried. It’s delicious.

Don't threaten, she'll just learn to ignore you. You just committed to quitting so put it in writing or you'll punknoit and keep hating your life.

Put in your two weeks, with a stipulation that you will offer to withdraw it provided:
a) she hires someone before the two weeks are up, and
b) going forward the resignation becomes effective immediately if she
1) expands the menu without consultation and approval of at least x workers, or
2) she takes a custom order with less than a week's lead time.

Now you can drop tools and walk out with a clear conscience knowing you've acted morally, legally and ethically, and tried your best to do right by your coworkers and the company despite her best efforts.

It sounds like you're done with the place so if she tells you to gently caress off she's doing you a favour anyway, you've got nothing to lose.

The kicker is to BCC the rest of the relevant staff so they can use it as a draft for their own letter for some salty de facto collective bargaining.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Lol at put in your two weeks but offer to withdraw it

If someone tells me they’re quitting I wish them the best and they’re out

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Outrail posted:

Don't threaten, she'll just learn to ignore you. You just committed to quitting so put it in writing or you'll punknoit and keep hating your life.

Put in your two weeks, with a stipulation that you will offer to withdraw it provided:
a) she hires someone before the two weeks are up, and
b) going forward the resignation becomes effective immediately if she
1) expands the menu without consultation and approval of at least x workers, or
2) she takes a custom order with less than a week's lead time.

Now you can drop tools and walk out with a clear conscience knowing you've acted morally, legally and ethically, and tried your best to do right by your coworkers and the company despite her best efforts.

It sounds like you're done with the place so if she tells you to gently caress off she's doing you a favour anyway, you've got nothing to lose.

The kicker is to BCC the rest of the relevant staff so they can use it as a draft for their own letter for some salty de facto collective bargaining.

I don't think there's a lot of company email here to bcc people with. Instead you've got a cake into which you've written with frosting AS PER MY LAST EMAIL CAKE and hand deliver it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Don't put in your two weeks and say "but wait, there's more" unless you have another offer lined up and you're willing to compete. It sounds like your boss has them conservative brain worms and is gonna ride "nobody wants to work anymore" to bankruptcy. Why would you try to negotiate with that?