Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
There are probably some questionable choices of what emissions are natural.

Yeah this is including increases in things that are going up because of climate change. Forest fires are getting worse b/c anthro but that's counted as natural

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
O good im feeling not too depressed—let’s watch some TV.. aye a comedy show…

https://tv.apple.com/au/episode/climate-change/umc.cmc.6xn3jbngveha8qgzr89nvfkv1?showId=umc.cmc.4fcexvzqezr25p9weks6sxpob

E: finished the episode ; pretty good I’d definitely recommend watching it if you have Apple TV+

There’s also a free podcast here

stirlo fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 10, 2022

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Frozen peatlands could pass climate tipping points sooner than thought

quote:

We had calculated that frozen peatlands would remain stable until the 2070s, but a new analysis suggests they may begin thawing as early as the 2040s
---

Vast expanses of peatland in frozen soil across northern Europe are expected to pass a climatic tipping point far sooner than previously thought, threatening to release billions of tonnes of carbon that would accelerate climate change.

Global warming has already caused Arctic permafrost to start releasing more carbon than it absorbs. But Richard Fewster at the University of Leeds, UK, and his colleagues have pinpointed in new detail when and where local climates will become unsuitable for peatland locked away in permafrost.

Finland, Norway, Sweden and a small part of north-west Russia will become too warm for permafrost peatland by the 2040s in all possible future carbon emissions scenarios considered by the team, compared with 2070 as thought previously. In the three higher-emission scenarios, most of Western Siberia will pass the same threshold in the 2090s.

This would leave 39.5 billion tonnes of carbon, twice the amount contained in Europe’s forests, at risk of being released into the atmosphere and turbocharging climate change. The vast majority of that carbon is locked up in western Siberia, which has much older and larger peatlands than the other areas included in the study.

“We’re looking at a huge carbon store that’s undergoing rapid changes. A huge amount of this carbon could be released into the atmosphere,” says Fewster. However, he cautions against fatalism and says a key message is the importance of the choices countries make today to tackle climate change. Under the lowest-emission scenario, about 14 billion tonnes of carbon could still survive in the far north of Western Siberia. In the higher-emission scenarios, this will eventually be released.

[...]

Good stuff.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
what if we build nearby coal plants to directly power massive industrial freezers to re freeze the peat?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

PhazonLink posted:

what if we build nearby coal plants to directly power massive industrial freezers to re freeze the peat?

Way ahead of you bud

An oil company wants to use giant chillers to refreeze the ground that climate change is thawing in order to drill for more oil — which will ultimately accelerate global warming
https://www.businessinsider.com/conocophillips-chillers-refreeze-thawing-tundra-climate-change-2020-8?op=1

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

This was a fun watch
https://twitter.com/thejuicemedia/status/1504557040647094293?t=rq_hDtr5b5xVgvlbW2O5NQ&s=19

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

PhazonLink posted:

Coal plants that power direct air capture machines that pull the carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere, which we then bury, thus providing much-needed jobs for coal miners and carbon buriers

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Tamba posted:

Do you think they know that 20% of the EU's uranium supply comes from Russia? (And another 19% from Kazakhstan).
So while probably good for the climate, it doesn't help with the goal of becoming less dependent on Russia for energy.

Uranium is abundant, it can easily be sourced elsewhere.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

Uranium is abundant, it can easily be sourced elsewhere.

Yes, it is abundant. No, it cannot easily be sourced elsewhere. The mining process has health and environmental effects that are both widespread and pretty terrible. Many communities in the US itself still suffer from the effects of uranium mining done in the 50s and 60s.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

https://www.iaea.org/newscenter/pressreleases/worlds-uranium-resources-enough-for-the-foreseeable-future-say-nea-and-iaea-in-new-report

quote:

Given these projections, the uranium resource base described in the Red Book is more than adequate to meet low and high case uranium demand through 2040 and beyond. Meeting high case demand requirements through 2040 would consume about 28% of the total 2019 identified resource base recoverable at a cost of < USD 130/kgU (USD 50/lb U3O8) and 87% of identified resources available at a cost of < USD 80/kgU

Like oil, there are more expensive ways to get it, but the easily accessible stuff is definitely not lasting forever.

e: and if you don't think that's scary, you should watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O133ppiVnWY

Tamba fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 23, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Yes, it is abundant. No, it cannot easily be sourced elsewhere. The mining process has health and environmental effects that are both widespread and pretty terrible. Many communities in the US itself still suffer from the effects of uranium mining done in the 50s and 60s.
It's not that you can just mine in your backyard, but there are other places already producing it and russia isn't as irreplacable for the EU as it is with oil/gas

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Just breed more

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Uranium can be harvested from sea water for about $200/kg, and there's a bunch of ways of reducing waste including simply using breeder reactors rather. Regardless, uranium constitutes a very small part of power plant costs and is highly price efficient. According to the IEEE, at 2006 prices the cost of raw uranium contributes about $0.0015/kWh to the cost of nuclear electricity, while in breeder reactors the uranium cost falls to $0.000015/kWh

https://deeply.thenewhumanitarian.org/oceans/articles/2018/06/28/the-nuclear-option-technology-to-extract-uranium-from-the-sea-advances

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economics_of_nuclear_power_plants

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Harold Fjord posted:

Just breed more

loving fast breeders

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Kaal posted:

Uranium can be harvested from sea water for about $200/kg, and there's a bunch of ways of reducing waste including simply using breeder reactors rather. Regardless, uranium constitutes a very small part of power plant costs and is highly price efficient. According to the IEEE, at 2006 prices the cost of raw uranium contributes about $0.0015/kWh to the cost of nuclear electricity, while in breeder reactors the uranium cost falls to $0.000015/kWh

https://deeply.thenewhumanitarian.org/oceans/articles/2018/06/28/the-nuclear-option-technology-to-extract-uranium-from-the-sea-advances

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economics_of_nuclear_power_plants

Hell yeah. Love it when different energy sources are normalized into apples to apples metrics.

Eat poo poo methane!!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
https://twitter.com/HirokoTabuchi/status/1507172048937922562?s=20&t=LEH_qMec5rC4sIr8oXs5vQ
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/24/climate/methane-leaks-new-mexico.html

I'm paywalled but there's always more and it's always worse.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
And now the US is pledging to make up as much of the difference for Europe in natural gas to make up for the lack of Russian imports, so expect it to get so much worse.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Harold Fjord posted:

Just breed more

There's this too: A lot of spent uranium fuel can be thrown in a breeder and spun up to enriched.

Yeah, this is why natural gas as a backer for renewables is problematic: Its leaky, its a potent greenhouse gas when it does leak, and its just another fossil fuel.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

BIG HEADLINE posted:

And now the US is pledging to make up as much of the difference for Europe in natural gas to make up for the lack of Russian imports, so expect it to get so much worse.

Exxon Mobil might have to....stop using excess LNG to mine BitCoin! YOU CANNOT DO THIS

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

On the other hand, the russian extraction is probably much worse in this regard anyway, so it could be a net improvement

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

CommieGIR posted:

There's this too: A lot of spent uranium fuel can be thrown in a breeder and spun up to enriched.

Yeah, this is why natural gas as a backer for renewables is problematic: Its leaky, its a potent greenhouse gas when it does leak, and its just another fossil fuel.

Methane leaks are largely a technical problem but coal emits even more methane along with other chemicals not to mention extraction is awful.

https://twitter.com/dwallacewells/status/1505348460253532160?s=20&t=qjodCElyGDbgf0s4DB-Xxg

mobby_6kl posted:

On the other hand, the russian extraction is probably much worse in this regard anyway, so it could be a net improvement

It is along with other parts of Iran and Asia. They don't have the technology, funding, etc. or simply don't care. Methane Tracker 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Methane leaks are largely a technical problem but coal emits even more methane along with other chemicals not to mention extraction is awful.

https://twitter.com/dwallacewells/status/1505348460253532160?s=20&t=qjodCElyGDbgf0s4DB-Xxg

It is along with other parts of Iran and Asia. They don't have the technology, funding, etc. or simply don't care. Methane Tracker 2021

Yup, this too. And Germany just bailed out their coal industry. Their 2035 goal for emissions is practically dead at this point.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Germany along with the rest of Europe doesn't really have a choice at this point. What I find so ironic is that all the work climate groups like XR Rebellion to Greta their work has enormously backfired.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
poo poo went wrong from Chernobyl onwards. Then it just kept moving wrong direction. Now we've painted ourselves in a corner.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

for the fear of Chernobyl 2, we exposed everything to an insidious poison

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤
There's plenty of space to join Just Stop Oil. This is a UK campaign, but there are a lot of online roles that need to be filled; you can get involved, not only without gluing yourself to any goal posts, but potentially even from overseas.

https://juststopoil.org/events/

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Germany along with the rest of Europe doesn't really have a choice at this point. What I find so ironic is that all the work climate groups like XR Rebellion to Greta their work has enormously backfired.

How did it “backfire”?

That implies that their work had a causal effect on making things worse.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ornery and Hornery posted:

How did it “backfire”?

That implies that their work had a causal effect on making things worse.

They're now burning more coal over natural gas due to bans and issue with imports from Russia. Natural Gas when burned releases CO2 and poorly maintained pipelines leak methane however it's still enormously better than coal which is much enormously way more carbon intensive, environmentally invasive even more fracking and has other issue like lead and other toxic pollutants.

On the other hand, you could potentially argue that it's speeding up the energy transition along but that's a big stretch. Lastly, many climate groups have been opposed to urbanization, gas taxes, etc. all of which reduce emissions.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I feel pretty comfortable with the claim that extinction rebellion was an utterly useless movement who's only accomplishments were providing fodder for various grifts

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

A big flaming stink posted:

I feel pretty comfortable with the claim that extinction rebellion was an utterly useless movement who's only accomplishments were providing fodder for various grifts

I don't disagree with you, and would add that they're still around and planning something large in NYC next month. They heard the statistic that it only takes some small percentage of people to effect change and took it literally--they're trying to "mobilize 3.5% of the population". Sure guys, I'm sure you can get 12.5 million people on the streets of New York for three sustained days of protest, good effort and definitely not a waste of time effort and energy. It almost feels like an op put on by shell to waste time.

I'm pretty convinced marching doesn't work. Big marches like the one in '14 are tremendous resource sinks and distractions that rarely have any long term effect other than maybe you make some social connections for future collaboration. If your goal is climate action, what good does mobilizing people to walk in a circle slowly? Certainly putting pressure on elected officials, cultivating local networks of mutual aid, developing communities of resilience and helping others prepare are better ways to spend a Saturday?

Anyway, there's an event I'm looking forward to streaming about professional lobbying, climate activism, and the role of our profession in pushing for and enacting new ways of design of urban space in response to cascading ecological crises.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

A big flaming stink posted:

Untrue. It also got lots of people criminal records and who knows what kind of security flags as potential agitators.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
is it a safe bet they either still dont support nuclear or have started the slow process of coming around?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

is it a safe bet they either still dont support nuclear or have started the slow process of coming around?

There are a very limited number of people who can start a cold conventional plant. There are fewer people who can start a cold nuclear plant.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

XR doesn't just not support nuclear power, it's fundamentally against it in it's entirety.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Thinking back only the systems folks got to play with the model to truly cold start a plant. Dozens we graduate dozen of people yearly who can do it and all the smart ones flee flee flee anything to do with it as soon as possible.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

XR doesn't just not support nuclear power, it's fundamentally against it in it's entirety.

At least they're aptly named, it seems.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Several years ago someone described a process called "extinction thrash" within which a species on the brink of extinction will expend useless energy attempting to avoid being wiped out. I haven't found any specific literature that backs this up so it might be bunk, but it's still useful.

XR seem like a perfect example of "we have to do something!” thrashing about. Just a complete waste of time, effort, and energy.

E to clarify: I don't think humanity is on the verge of going extinct, but understand a lot of people see that as a distinct possibility and are starting to act as such.

I think the subject of community and emotional resilience in times of socio-environmental turmoil really needs to be a part of the conversation around climate change. Ofc the world is in a state of perpetual change, but people are starting to come apart at the seams with the speed and intensity of the past several years. The US specifically has a cult of rugged-individualism that is not serving its adherents well and is especially ill-suited for conditions where individual actions are almost meaningless in the face of the enormity of the problems.

Leon Sumbitches fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 27, 2022

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Bucky Fullminster posted:

I went to check the numbers for natural emissions vs anthropogenic emissions, and found this paper that seems wildly inaccurate, can anyone tell me if I'm missing something?

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scien...%20earthquakes.

(By comparison, these are the numbers I was looking for: https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11638-climate-myths-human-co2-emissions-are-too-tiny-to-matter/)

No, that seems about right. Current human GHG emissions are around 42 Gt CO2, which given emission growth is not out of line with 36 Gt CO2 in 2016. The earth did sustain a 280 ppm CO2 level before industrial activity after all, despite many active sinks - those CO2 emissions came from somewhere. The scale of human emissions needed to outweigh natural ones is why we didn't start seeing climate change signals till the 1950s despite the industrial revolution starting in the 1850s, and up until the 1980s it was counterbalanced by a strong aerosol signal from all the air pollution. The other article you link is 2007, and human emissions have been growing since 2007 fairly consistently.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I think the subject of community and emotional resilience in times of socio-environmental turmoil really needs to be a part of the conversation around climate change. Ofc the world is in a state of perpetual change, but people are starting to come apart at the seams with the speed and intensity of the past several years. The US specifically has a cult of rugged-individualism that is not serving its adherents well and is especially ill-suited for conditions where individual actions are almost meaningless in the face of the enormity of the problems.

Is there something you think is specific to climate change on this front? My first reaction is that I both agree and disagree; we're at a point where we have so many really overwhelming problems on the near-ish horizon that it would be a very good idea for us all to be investing heavily in community and emotional resilience, but climate change (narrowly defined, hi ocean acidification and topsoil depletion) doesn't feel like the most immediate or most serious of them and unless you have a lot more resources and a very different social circle than I do trying to open up a conversation that big just doesn't work with most people. On the other hand having the bite-sized conversations points away from effective policy (lol, etc.) and so is in some ways self-sabotaging alongside being easier.

All of that sort of aside from the joke of how much easier it is to funnel money into funding research than into funding practice where mental health and emotional resilience are concerned even when we've got pretty good things we could be doing with the resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Irony.or.Death posted:

Is there something you think is specific to climate change on this front? My first reaction is that I both agree and disagree; we're at a point where we have so many really overwhelming problems on the near-ish horizon that it would be a very good idea for us all to be investing heavily in community and emotional resilience, but climate change (narrowly defined, hi ocean acidification and topsoil depletion) doesn't feel like the most immediate or most serious of them and unless you have a lot more resources and a very different social circle than I do trying to open up a conversation that big just doesn't work with most people. On the other hand having the bite-sized conversations points away from effective policy (lol, etc.) and so is in some ways self-sabotaging alongside being easier.

All of that sort of aside from the joke of how much easier it is to funnel money into funding research than into funding practice where mental health and emotional resilience are concerned even when we've got pretty good things we could be doing with the resources.

I think there are concrete consequences of climate change we should prepare for including displaced populations due to sea level rise, famine due to hardiness zones changing, resource wars between nations, and so on. Like you said, there are many of large looming problems and I might be oversimplifying but I think many are addressed in a similar way at the personal level: providing mental health care I'm a variety of modalities, promoting community, ensuring equitable distribution of resources, shifting towards a more localized food system meant to nourish, and the list goes on.

I think we definitely have to be strategic with these conversations, this isn't stuff I bring up casually at the bar. I'm lucky enough to be organizing with folks with a national platform and openness to ideas, so I'm incorporating these concepts into our organizing work which is typically more action oriented (borrowing heavily from the work of adrienne maree brown). I think mutual aid networks are effective ways to incorporate this at the grassroots as well.

Outside of grassroots, US mayors and city elected officials seem to be in the best position to work on this aspect of the crises (eg Denver's STAR program). They aren't bound by the three branch system and have more leeway to act and be influenced by activists. I'm seeing interesting things happen, but the conversation isn't nearly where it needs to be. For example, in New York, low lying areas like the Rockaways will be uninhabitable potentially as soon as 2050 and the conversation about I'm definitely looking at my city to see where I could professionally wedge myself into the conversation and there are a couple of promising places.

Beyond that, I've been organizing with a few professionals in my field to meet with our representatives and present what we need for a just transition in our sector. It's been incredible to see how much lobbying access we've had without any funding, powered solely by good ideas and good communication. I'm seeing lots of activists doing similarly: explicitly spelling out our vision of the future in ways that politicians can pick up and run. This is less mental and community resilience, but folks in those fields could have similar success and I hope they do!

Anyway, I don't think it's possible to fully separate everything that's coming, but those of us with eyes to see have to start preparing for what's on the horizon.