Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

punk rebel ecks posted:

Blade Runner 2049 is number 2 on Netflix. Seems like it’s getting a second life after being a box office bomb, just like the original.

i just turned on Netflix and it's now #1 lol

at least people are finally watching it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

A MIRACLE posted:

what are some good ghost in the shells. I keep seeing new ones pop up every few years. I've only seen the movie but the movie was sweet

Which movie did you watch? There's 3 animated ones (first two are really good, haven't seen the third one) and one live action (stay far away).

Also, the first TV series is pretty good (Stand Alone Complex). I didn't like it as much as the movies, but that's mostly due to the format (the episodes are fairly serialized and you just can't do much with only 22 minutes).

Lechtansi fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 28, 2022

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Kinda beaten, but whatever :).

A MIRACLE posted:

what are some good ghost in the shells. I keep seeing new ones pop up every few years. I've only seen the movie but the movie was sweet

The first 2 Stand Alone Complex series were pretty good (just regular Stand Alone Complex and then "2nd Gig"). Only ever heard bad things about Stand Alone Complex: 2045, but I'd be happy to hear different. They're different than the movie because they're shorter episodes and there are plenty of stand alone ones (heh) beside the serial ones.

I haven't watched the Solid State Society movie, but I think I heard it was decent.

If you haven't seen it yet, you can also check out the sequel to the original movie, Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence. It's really pretty, from what I remember, even if it's a little meandering. It's based on a fairly short story within the manga so it's stretched out with a lot of Batou dealing with the emotional aftermath of the first movie. I liked it as a teenage but haven't not gone back since.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

If you haven't seen it yet, you can also check out the sequel to the original movie, Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence. It's really pretty, from what I remember, even if it's a little meandering. It's based on a fairly short story within the manga so it's stretched out with a lot of Batou dealing with the emotional aftermath of the first movie. I liked it as a teenage but haven't not gone back since.

Innocence holds up, I watch it now and then and like it a lot. The English dub is also incredibly solid, as all of the GitS dubs seem to be on everything made before Arise.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

sweet thanks dudes.. the movie I'm thinking of is the main one I guess? lol. And the 2.0 remaster, but I think I had some reason that I liked the original better. I'll check out the sequels

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A MIRACLE posted:

sweet thanks dudes.. the movie I'm thinking of is the main one I guess? lol. And the 2.0 remaster, but I think I had some reason that I liked the original better. I'll check out the sequels

The 2.0 'remaster' is completely pointless in every way. They rerecorded all of the audio, changed the VA for the Puppet Master (has a male voice in the original, a female in 2.0), and replaced a bunch of hand drawn scenes with terrible, terrible CGI. The entire film also went through an orange filter to make it look closer to GitS: Innocence. Up until recently it was the only version you could buy on bluray in the states, luckily the un-hosed-with version is available in 4K as of September 2020. Avoid.

Edit: found someone who tracked all the differences and TIL they also just cut out a bunch of little scenes/shots for seemingly no reason, goddamn https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=825158

also spoilered due to boobs but the CGI is just mindboggling bad

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 28, 2022

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Oh sweet I just realized I own a blu ray player for the first time as well. Now to find Dredd 3d…

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

precision posted:

i just turned on Netflix and it's now #1 lol

at least people are finally watching it

I have wanted to watch it for a while but legit it's so hard for me to block off time for a movie that long. Currently working my way through Dunc in half hour blocks in the morning before my kids wake up. Blade Runner will be next.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Blade runner 2042 is the only UHD blu ray I’ve ever bought. Dunc will be the second. At least when I can find it for like 15 bux

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

The answer is always anime

mystes
May 31, 2006

magiccarpet posted:

The answer is always anime
What is the question?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

mystes posted:

What is the question?

also anime

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Possibly video games.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Sleuth is a Kenneth branagh movie with jude law and Michael Caine about a novelist who lives in a magical high tech house with magic security cameras.
Sweet lord the detective is one of the worst performances I have seen

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Junkie Disease posted:

Sleuth is a Kenneth branagh movie with jude law and Michael Caine about a novelist who lives in a magical high tech house with magic security cameras.
Sweet lord the detective is one of the worst performances I have seen

This is true. However, the Sleuth movie about a novelist starring Michael Caine is fantastic.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Severance is so goddamn good

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Windfall is a cool low-key thriller and I liked it, if you would have told me that Landry would be the breakout star of Friday Night Lights I wouldn't have believed you

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

precision posted:

Crazy good.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

precision posted:

I just use the cheapest model Roku box and literally never have problems with the streaming apps anymore

edit: like, I have a smart TV, and Roku works so much better. just get one. they're like 15 bucks at target

Yeah I got one of these last week because apple+ won't even do 720p if you're using a browser? Anyways its working great.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

if anyone is looking for a nice little microbudget atmosphere/tone piece, Vast of Night was pretty wonderful. Felt closer to a radioplay then a movie, but the camera-work and editing was gorgeous.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Famethrowa posted:

if anyone is looking for a nice little microbudget atmosphere/tone piece, Vast of Night was pretty wonderful. Felt closer to a radioplay then a movie, but the camera-work and editing was gorgeous.

I watched it a couple years back and remember being very impressed by the lead played by Jake Horowitz.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Nihonniboku posted:

I watched it a couple years back and remember being very impressed by the lead played by Jake Horowitz.

Both young actors are pretty great. Jake Horowitz had just the right amount of insecurity thrown in with his 2cool4everyone persona to really sell it. Sierra McCormick looked like she actually learned how to use an old-fashioned switchboard for her part, and it really pays off at the start of the mystery. The way she confidently juggled calls like a real operator was super cool.

CelticPredator posted:

It might be one of my favorite alien movies of all time. It fully delivered on the feeling I felt when I watching alien documentaries in the middle of the night as a little kid.

:yeah:

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 29, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It might be one of my favorite alien movies of all time. It fully delivered on the feeling I felt when I watching alien documentaries in the middle of the night as a little kid.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Famethrowa posted:

one of the few movies where as soon as it was done i packed a bowl immediately watched it again. it's insanely entertaining. i wish it had been like 4 hours long, it does so much with sound design and camera work. A+++

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish I liked it more but vast of night didn’t really do anything for me. The main guy had a drama club energy to me.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

It's a pretty good companion piece to Pontypool.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

I feel like you hit the nail on the head there. It's a pretty specific thing so I get that not everybody is going to click with it, but alien movies are great when they're like 90% docudrama/history channel and then they throw in that last 10% where they actually show you some poo poo that the real documentaries never could.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Vast of Night was great, and it's definitely a vibe movie. Made me feel like I was cruising along on a desert highway late at night, listening to Art Bell on the AM radio.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Started From last night on prime. It's really loving wild stuff from some Lost EP's. I'd say don't watch a trailer either, it's one of those "weird middle of nowhere towns" type settings.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

veni veni veni posted:

I wish I liked it more but vast of night didn’t really do anything for me. The main guy had a drama club energy to me.

That was my reaction. The main character is portrayed well enough I guess but no 17 year old in the world talks like that. He's drama club kid amped up to 30 on a scale of 1-10. The direction felt like Great Value David Lynch (although the long tracking shot was good).

It was decent enough but felt like everyone was trying really, really hard. I think this was the director's first feature? Hoping he gets more comfortable and doesn't press as much.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Kingtheninja posted:

Started From last night on prime. It's really loving wild stuff from some Lost EP's. I'd say don't watch a trailer either, it's one of those "weird middle of nowhere towns" type settings.

From slaps. Epix has been doing ok lately.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

gently caress death on the Nile is bad

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

precision posted:

Just saw the first ep. Looks promising, but I could see it descending into some mystery box BS at the end ala Devs.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Junkie Disease posted:

Everything I've seen about it makes it look like The Worst

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I confused that for The Lost City which looked both stupid and great, so I was glad to google it and find out it's not the same movie.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
the lost city of d(eez nuts)

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Just saw the first ep. Looks promising, but I could see it descending into some mystery box BS at the end ala Devs.

Yeah, I'm about 3 episodes in, and that seems to be the direction its moving in. Not a lot of answers, just more and more mysteries added on each episode. And for some reason it bills itself as a comedy, even though it's nothing of the sort.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

really enjoying our flag means death, find myself loling at it constantly, the characters are great and the melodrama is played for laughs

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Junkie Disease posted:

Gadot was astonishingly awful even for her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Just heard on the latest WHM episode that she auditioned for Furiosa in Fury Road. The mind reels.