Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
amile hirsch should be brought forth on stage for an assbeating tribunal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Pipila
Dec 30, 2006
I am invincible; I have a stone on my back!
Why are they calling being bald a disability now what the gently caress

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

She has alopecia

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

El Pipila posted:

since when is alopecia a disease

Is bruce willis diseased

El Pipila posted:

Lol, these are your only two posts ITT.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

El Pipila posted:

Privilege.txt

El Pipila
Dec 30, 2006

teagone posted:

Lol, these are your only two posts ITT.

yep

alopecia means hair loss btw

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

hairing impaired

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

El Pipila posted:

yep

alopecia means hair loss btw

Quick google says Jada has Alopecia Areata, which is described as:

quote:

Alopecia areata is a disease that happens when the immune system attacks hair follicles and causes hair loss. Hair follicles are the structures in skin that form hair. While hair can be lost from any part of the body, alopecia areata usually affects the head and face. Hair typically falls out in small, round patches about the size of a quarter, but in some cases, hair loss is more extensive. Most people with the disease are healthy and have no other symptoms.

The course of alopecia areata varies from person to person. Some have bouts of hair loss throughout their lives, while others only have one episode. Recovery is unpredictable too, with hair regrowing fully in some people but not others.

There is no cure for alopecia areata, but there are treatments that help hair grow back more quickly. There are also resources to help people cope with hair loss.

source: https://www.niams.nih.gov/health-topics/alopecia-areata

hth!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

this kid is nuts posted:

Still waiting.
lol whose alt are u

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
getting extremely interested in the distinction between a "disability", a "disease", and a "medical condition" at this specific point in time, as one does

(this is a jab at the "being bald is a disability???" guy to be clear)

VROOM VROOM fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 28, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Semantics are always important when deciding on whether a slap was justified or not!

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
fine-grain semantic analysis reveals that while everybody involved in the incident and who saw it and is talking about it is extremely bad, the slap itself...was good

El Pipila
Dec 30, 2006

teagone posted:

Quick google says Jada has Alopecia Areata, which is described as:

source: https://www.niams.nih.gov/health-topics/alopecia-areata

hth!

"Alopecia is the medical term for bald. Areata means patchy."

from https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/hair-loss/types/alopecia

That's it, she's got the same disease/disability as Jason Statham or whomever

Culturally I get that it's worse for women (which it shouldn't be) but calling that dumb joke ableist is suuuuuuuuch a stretch

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The truth is in the middle: both Will Smith and Chris Rock need to be put to death for their crimes

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
If someone made fun of my partner's physical appearance on national tv they're getting slapped at minimum, sorry!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

El Pipila posted:

Culturally I get that it's worse for women (which it shouldn't be) but calling that dumb joke ableist is suuuuuuuuch a stretch

Ok, the slap is still funny as poo poo though so whatever?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

El Pipila posted:

Thanks for the preview on how south park will handle the discourse.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I thought the video of the slappening was really uncomfortable to watch, but I did laugh when Chris went "dude it's a GI Jane joke" like he was defending himself by how lovely the joke was

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

davidspackage posted:

I thought the video of the slappening was really uncomfortable to watch, but I did laugh when Chris went "dude it's a GI Jane joke" like he was defending himself by how lovely the joke was

It being awkward as hell is part of what makes it funny. Chris Rock's slurred mumble before reading the teleprompter again was hilarious af lol.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Will Smith made this a million times worse for himself in that everyone would've forgotten the joke in 5 seconds but now everyone is gonna be making fun of him and Jada.

All he had to do was wait until the afterparty to slap Chris Rock.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Everyone were already making fun of Will and Jada.

This will just make them feel justified about those jokes.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Gorman Thomas posted:

If someone made fun of my partner's physical appearance on national tv they're getting slapped at minimum, sorry!

What if they made fun of your bad posts

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

Pistols at dawn

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Wolfsheim posted:

the question is if they made fun of my PARTNER'S bad posts. and yes i will defend my posting allies, would you not, coward?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

“I think the problem is you’re just uneducated.”

teagone posted:

What if Will Smith gave him a wedgie instead? Would you theorhetically have done the same under similar cicumstances?

i would have performed sub-zero's mortal kombat 1 fatality on chris rock

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I didn't watch the Oscars, yet via cultural osmosis I was forced to learn about the slap heard round the world.

Except it kind of seems like not a big deal at all? Chris Rock made a lovely joke about Will Smith's wife, Will Smith got justifiably pissed off and slapped (not punched, slapped) Chris Rock and told him to shut the gently caress up, and that's it. End of story.

"Man momentarily loses emotional control in a very minor way after another man unintentionally makes a verbal comment that goes to far" isn't exactly a world changing event.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

teagone posted:

It being awkward as hell is part of what makes it funny. Chris Rock's slurred mumble before reading the teleprompter again was hilarious af lol.

"I'm going to" is exactly the kind of weird, threatened, non-response you get from someone who's in shock and trying to deescalate. His brain was still resetting.

V funny

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
From the NY Times:

quote:

LOS ANGELES — As questions swirled about why the actor Will Smith had faced no repercussions for slapping the comedian Chris Rock during Sunday night’s Oscars telecast, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, which administers the awards, said Monday that it had condemned his actions and was starting a formal review.

“The academy condemns the actions of Mr. Smith at last night’s show,” the organization said in a statement. “We have officially started a formal review around the incident and will explore further action and consequences in accordance with our bylaws, standards of conduct and California law.”

The statement came after a meeting Monday.

The incident unfolded Sunday night after Mr. Rock had made a joke about the closely cropped hair of Mr. Smith’s wife, Jada Pinkett Smith, who has alopecia, a condition that leads to hair loss. Mr. Smith responded by walking onto the stage of the Dolby Theater and slapping Mr. Rock, leaving stunned viewers wondering at first if the blow might have been scripted until Mr. Smith returned to his seat and warned him to stop talking about his wife, using expletives.

Behind the scenes at the Oscars, there were serious discussions about removing Smith from the theater, according to two industry officials with knowledge of the situation who were granted anonymity to describe internal deliberations. But time was short, because the best actor award, which Mr. Smith was heavily favored to win, was fast approaching, one noted — and stakeholders had varying opinions on how to proceed. There was also concern about further disrupting the live broadcast, the other said.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I didn't watch the Oscars, yet via cultural osmosis I was forced to learn about the slap heard round the world.

Except it kind of seems like not a big deal at all? Chris Rock made a lovely joke about Will Smith's wife, Will Smith got justifiably pissed off and slapped (not punched, slapped) Chris Rock and told him to shut the gently caress up, and that's it. End of story.

"Man momentarily loses emotional control in a very minor way after another man unintentionally makes a verbal comment that goes to far" isn't exactly a world changing event.

Doing in this on stage at the biggest masturbatory event in Hollywood in front of millions of people worldwide is why this a big deal.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
If they take his Oscar away, do they give it to the second place vote winner? Is there ranked choice voting? A do-over?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

“I think the problem is you’re just uneducated.”
they give it to chris rock

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
I've never been in this thread or subforum before but I heard about the slap this morning and i was like

'I bet the forum discourse about this is pretty funny'

thanks for being part of the moment everyone

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
also white americans and black americans have different slap culture but as an australian we have the most evolved slap discourse of any culture

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I'm more mad about how bad the memorial section was than the slap. I don't want to see people dancing I want the see the dead people!

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
They shouldn't take the Oscar away but they should give him a statue in a slapping pose and insist that the statuettes always be displayed together.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I'd be way more on Will Smith's side if he weren't a deranged Scientologist who forever sullied mankind by making the Wild Wild West.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

hatty posted:

I'm more mad about how bad the memorial section was than the slap. I don't want to see people dancing I want the see the dead people!

That was weird as hell

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Posters should unironically be banned for pro-violence women-as-property takes like this imo

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I thought that was fine and its ok to celebrate the lives of people instead of just being constantly sad about it IMO. Every year its just a slow rear end depressing piano and I get it but this was better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I thought that was fine and its ok to celebrate the lives of people instead of just being constantly sad about it IMO. Every year its just a slow rear end depressing piano and I get it but this was better

They should do a full New Orleans funeral style segment next year.